Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mulva posted:

I will never get the affection people have for that character, he was such a petty sociopathic gently caress up in his first few appearances I've just never been able to see the attraction.

Forgot what thread this was, and thought we were talking about Damian Wayne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Speaking of Quentin Quire, how old is he supposed to be, anyway?

I ask because he kissed Idie during the hellfire Academy arc, and she's 14, and i had him pegged closer to 18, so you know, creepy. Of course the same arc had her dressed in leather dominatrix gear.

I always assumed he was like sixteen. He looked a little older in his first appearance because he was drawn by Quitely.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Did people get offended by House of M, or did that not count because it was an alternate reality? And are people really ignoring that evil mutants are always trying to oppress normal humans?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It even fits with the thread title. The last time the X-Men became super heroes again was after Morrison's run. Having a group in the more paramilitary outfits to contrast the spandex clad X-Men is a pretty smart idea.

What's the deal there? I haven't been reading any tie ins, but I've been enjoying the main series.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Those are some enticing titles. Might have to get back into X-Men.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Also when it looked liked they were all going to become Brood, Kitty tries to sleep with Pietor and he's all "Hell no, you are still way too young".

Because Colossus is just good of a dude.

Then he falls for a chick on Battleworld and breaks Kitty's heart.

Wolverine doesn't take kindly to that, and one of the best X-Men comics happens.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Sunday punch is older than that. Its an old boxing term, and the Thing has a Twinkie ad named after it from the 70's.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They're just one shots between the panels of one page of SE#10.

The Thor issue fits in here because it has Apocalypse and the Phoenix. It was pretty drat cool.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Astonishing X-Men is pretty awesome. I've been out of the X game for a while, but that book is easy to just jump into, and the art is a revolving door of joy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Don’t know anything about Gentle, but after all the poo poo Namor pulled with Wakanda, they’ll make a fun pair.

Looks like a fun team. Surprised there’s no Logan or other Phoenix type on the team. I’d kind of love to see Quentin Quire interact with anyone on that team.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Diet Poison posted:

This very issue claims she's 20 (or reasonably close to that number). Also, this was one more new issue of Gabby not having a codename yet. The tension is literally killing me. Why the hell do I care so much.

You'll probably have to wait until X-Men: Red.

I'm on episode 75 of Rachel and Miles Xplain the X-Men, and it's helped me rekindle my love for Marvel's merry mutants. I recently picked up the Mojoverse Annual and the issues of New Mutants with the Beyonder. I really want a tablet, so I can just read everything on the cheap.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

We've been pro Quire around here since Wolverine and the X-Men.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I haven't read Riot at Xavier's since before Wolverine and the X-Men. Same with Assault on Weapon Plus and Remender's X-Force.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Bought my friend the two parts of Asgard Wars, and the X-Men/Teen Titans one shot for his birthday. Dude has read a lot of X books from the last few decades, but the original Claremont stuff he hasn't really experienced.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They're going to pull a Superboy and it'll be Lady Deathstrike as her mother.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You’re all some lovely X-Men fans if you aren’t singing the praises of Grand Design.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wolverine and the X-Men is the silliest mainstream book he's done, and it's great. It's nothing like Thor, but if you like the X-Men when they're not super dramatic, it's really fun.

One thing I really liked about Grand Design, was that the small press indie feel really works with a book as weird as the X-Men. It has a similar feel to GI Joe/Transformers. It covers a lot of ground, and is a great way to learn about X-Men lore, much better than Wikipedia or whatever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Didn't anyone archive the twitters from that era, of ever find out who was writing them?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

All New Wolverine. That's enough for me to give X-Men: Red a shot.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

What happened?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Kitty went and joined/formed Excalibur because she thought all of the other X-Men were dead. I don't think she was part of other X-teams in a major way until Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, but I could be wrong. Marvel uses a shifting timeline but even ignoring that that's a 15 some odd year gap, that's a lot of other poo poo happening that makes you forget old wounds.

I think she was the leader for a brief moment around the time Wolverine gave her one of his broken bone claws. Which was also around the time Logan married Viper, I think.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

amigolupus posted:

Morrison's New X-Men showing that there's Mutant culture emerging was a step in the right direction for that. Too bad no one followed up on it and we got House of M instead. :sigh:

RIP Jumbo Carnation.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I binged the whole podcast in like five months, and finished last week. I need a break for a bit, because I got real tired of hearing Jay go "No." and correcting or trying to one up whatever Miles was saying. Great show for the most part though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He straight up confirmed Kitty/Rachel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

How do you guys feel about Inferno? Thinking about picking up the Uncanny and X Factor issues from my shop.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I've only ever read the Amazing Spider-Man tie ins, which were pretty rad from what I remember. I'll keep an eye out for the New Mutants and Excalibur tie ins.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Covok posted:

Morrison X-men vs Claremont X-Men.

Debate & Discuss.

No contest.

Claremont all day. I liked Morrison's X-Men, but he's never going to have the definitive run on a Marvel character. DC characters are more mythic, and open to interpretation.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Found an X-Men arcade cabinet at a local computer repair place. What a beautiful machine.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

No, been about seven, eight years since I've seen one of those. Should of got a picture of the side. As iconic as X-Men art can be to me.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

First arcade game I ever beat. We were at a field trip at a water park, but us four nerds knew what was important.

I was Nightcrawler.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Pryde had Nightcrawler, making it the superior cartoon.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Reading Austen’s run alongside Morrison’s will give you whiplash. I remember being and wanting to read everything in this new, exciting era of X-Men.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

moleman posted:

Twelve year old me's favorite character is back, baby!

Same, but ten. I remember him temporarily replacing Nightcrawler as my go to choice on the playground.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’ve said this since first grade: Archangel is my second favorite X-Men character. Angel is my least favorite.

Nightcrawler has always been my favorite, for the record.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I appreciate the report. I almost bought Uncanny because it has a awesome cover, and a great looking cast.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Kid Havok is adorable.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

If they’re already done, he’ll probably be announcing something else soon.

So loving hyped for this. Been waiting to care about the X-Men again.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

gently caress yes Bill the Lobster

Didn’t even think of that. Hickman would be the one to do it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Sounds like Uncanny is ending for a bit while Hickman works his magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rochallor posted:

That's the real Curse of the Mutants.

I wonder, who is the most recent new X-Man to have continued prominence in the line? Gambit? Emma Frost is a solid pick, but she was around for a long time before joining the X-Men. You could make similar arguments for Namor and, to a lesser extent, Dr. Nemesis, but they also have super long publication histories. Possibly Laura Kinney?

I think it might be Glob Herman. He's featured more prominently than Quentin Quire or Xorn, who are the other breakout stars of Morrison's run. Nobody past that has come close, really. I know everybody here loves Rockslide but I can't even think of the last time he appeared.

EDIT: Forgot Hope, but then so did everybody else.

Fantomex was running wild for a while after Jason Aaron and Rick Remender brought him back for The List: Wolverine, and Uncanny X-Force. Both were great by the way.