Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They say this is the biggest thing since Grant Morrison’s New X-Men, but it sounds like Hickman will have enough control of the line to prevent him from having something of a Chuck Austen Uncanny X-Men level as his sister book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’s wild to feel excited about X-Men again. I like the closet full of costumes idea. More super heroes should have more variety in what they wear. Let the different artists add their own touches, or choose an outfit that fits the mood of the story.

Glad to hear Hickman is a fan of Age of Apocalypse.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You’d think the Shi’ar would work out the bugs.

You guys see Thor as a Brood in the FCBD issue of Avengers?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Hickman Avengers. He’s married to Smasher of the Imperial Guard. She’s from Earth.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mr and Mrs X, and X23 are probably as safe as any book could be. They’re smaller, character driven books that can easily roll with whatever the main status quo will be. It’s the team books that are going to get reigned in.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I just think they have the best chance of all the X books to come out the other side of House/Powers resembling the books they were before. I’m optimistic that the X line will have a little something for everyone.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

There’s a picture of Magneto in green with the two future X-Men. I wonder if it has anything to do with Polaris.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

JMS and Romita Jr started on Spider-Man the month before. Those were my first two books I went to the comic store every month for.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I just found out there’s going to be a Wolverine/Captain America: Weapon Plus mini starting next month.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He probably won’t let them publish it because they don’t want it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’m all about Jason Aaron wearing a Balor Club is For Everyone shirt.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’m having a hard time sleeping. Anyone want to argue about Neal Adams Havok being one of the best costume visuals of all time?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Right, but it’s one of the best designs for a two dimensional medium. It held so much promise for a Marvel that was losing Jack Kirby. I guess it’s not fair to give the costume the credit, because it was the way his power was displayed that made him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Of course he’s a lunatic. He still remembers every word to the Bucky O’Hare theme song.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

rantmo posted:

I love face turned Juggernaut, he's so much more interesting when he's trying to be a good guy or is at least operating in that sort of conflicted space than when he's just a bad guy.

He’s at his best just being a bad guy. He’s an unstoppable force for the heroes to test their limits on.

Having him try to be good occasionally makes him a more well rounded character, but it’d get boring real fast. Especially in Austen’s run where he’s powered down, and gets critically injured in an explosion.

Best role for Juggernaut is doing Wolverine’s dirty work, and one punching Colossus.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

rantmo posted:

On this there can be no disagreement. That is probably my favorite single X-Men issue of all time.

It’s the perfect issue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’s a 1/1000 variant, but I think this cover could be very telling.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

In a book called House of X, I’d definitely include Exodus in the House of M. Hellfire Club, Sinister, you have all the makings of some mutant Game of Thrones.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The most interesting thing is that Nighcrawler is there. He’s never been a leader, but more of a moral compass.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Edmund Lava posted:

He said he was formally adopting her right before he hosed off to die, so maybe.

Thought I was in the Batman thread. Laura and Cassandra are nearly the same character. Since we already got Tim Drake and Jubilee, give us X23/Batgirl (not going to call her Orphan), Shadowcat/Nightwing, and Gabby/Damian.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They were both conceived as teen girls made to be killing machines. They rebel against their programming and become heroes. They’re both great characters, it’s just that Marvel is willing to do more with Laura than DC is with Cass.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

davebo posted:

Oh my mistake. I kept seeing tweets about it and assumed it was today.

It went to the printer today.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I have no idea what to expect with Hickman. His Phoenix powered Cyclops in Secret Wars was so drat weird.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I like when there’s some surprise changes after a time skip. Made me really interested in what a Hickman written X-Men would’ve been like in the lead up to Secret Wars.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Didn’t think we’d see Cyclops and Mister Fantastic interacting so early on.

Wolverine is in like one panel, and he’s practically at Xavier’s feet, laughing while playing with kids.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Looks like Xavier has Xorn and Zorn on his side too. Don’t know their previous status in the 616 because they’re a loving mess.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

This is the first X-book I've read in a long rear end time and it certainly did a decent job of setting up the mystery. The blatant allusions to Maker, the not-even-trying-to-hide-it threatening tone that literally every character who interacts with non-mutants has (even Cyclops), and then we see a Master Mold being built around the sun to remind us that, as paranoid or over-sensitive as mutants might seem, they 100% are justified in feeling that way.

The MotherMold is being built inside Sols Hammer. A dyson sphere that the Illuminati built during the incursions. It annihilated a Shi’ar fleet with a fraction of a percent of its power. It’s also what Mystique and crew were stealing info on.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Oh, and the panel where it shows Armor planting a seed on Mars, the garden behind her is from when Ex-Nihilo terraformed part of the planet in the opening arc of Hickman’s Avengers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Aaron did write The List: Wolverine that had Fantomex team up with Noh-Varr to save Wolverine from Weapon XV or whichever one is the viral religion. It has the page where Noh-Varr claims the Kree have a mathematical equation that disproves religion, and Fantomex says he was genetically engineered to not believe in anything greater than himself.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I say just start the thread now, and have the OP update it each week with a brief summary of the issues events. Now is the time to try and hook curious people.

EDIT: Thread of X.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It does feel good to be excited about the X-Men again. Haven’t felt anything close to this since Aaron and Remender were on their X books.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Goth peacock chic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

There's no way Hickman doesn't use the poo poo out of Globb Herman at some point.

I’m waiting to see what he does with Goldballs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Voted 12+, but the 12 issues have to have Stan Lee levels of dialogue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Between that scene, the helmet Xavier's in, and somebody mentioning the World at one point, at least some of this isn't actually happening. I don't think the sheer dream-logic structure of it is just Hickman playing with formalism.

Seems like the text box was referring to the World, as in the Earth, not the Weapon Plus facility.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Hickman mentioned how all his previous Marvel work was one huge mega story, and that he wants his X-Men to stand on its own without having to read everything he’s ever written.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nimrod at the thousand year point mentions that he wasn’t built to maintain integrity for a millennium, implying that he was built around Year One.

I’m trying to make some sense of the scene with Moira. The background color change when Charles tries to read her mind, and Charles watching birds fly in a circle.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Just realized that Hickman is probably bringing Black Tom into X-Men to have some connection with Krakoa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’m wondering if it’ll be Sinister or the machines that will have figured out what Moira’s deal is, and found a way to make her into a Trojan Horse. This is like some fifth dimensional chess.