Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FilthyImp posted:

A memetic Moira who exists in alternate timelives to spread a virus or ill ideology is extremely twisted and cool.

I forget if it mentions exactly when she died during the Apocalypse War, but Nimrod the lesser and his crew have already been shown to be able to get into mutants heads one way or another. Hell, the future part of Powers of X #1 could have been from a previous life since Moira alludes to those characters at the circus with Charles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

What has Destiny ever really accomplished? The Brotherhood didn’t have the best track record.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Was at a local dive bar to watch wrestling, and was talking to an old friend about X-Men and how he needs to read Hickman’s books. Some “Brand Ambassador” for a cigarette company overheard me, and we ended up talking about comics for a while.

The hype is real for Hickman’s X-Men.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

danbanana posted:

That's a hell of a job in 2019.

They take down peoples information in bars in exchange for coupons. People eat that poo poo up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’m of the mind that the future stuff is part of Life Nine.

While trying to see if any of the society symbols matched with the Moira timelines (I got nothing), I did notice that Life One is the only one with a circle in the timeline, but I guess that’s to be expected.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Neurosis posted:

But then he goes and writes the final crisis.

Don’t know what point you’re trying to make. Final Crisis probably had the most positive ending for any event book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They’ll convert Moira into a machine or into pure data so that she can’t reset the timeline they’ve been fighting so hard for. Moira has to survive somehow or else the prime Marvel Universe is going to be one where she died before her powers manifested.

The end of the universe is going to be Franklin Richards, Galactus, and whatever is left of Moira X.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Yes. But maybe they've hidden some sort of trojan horse in her brain!

I had that thought too. Some sort of Zur En Arrh back up personality that’s waiting for a trigger.

Feels like Sinister is going to pop up soon, and turn everything on it’s head.

Also, the solicits for the new X books look pretty exciting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

At the bar again talking about X-Men, and someone goes “You talking about House of X? What do you think Moira’s sixth life is?”

We get a lot of nerds around here, but they usually talk about old Transformers or GI Joe.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Looks like Hickman’s page in Marvel #1000 ties into his X-Men with Apocalypse reviving the first horsemen.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

There’s no way he’s the Maker, but I’m sure he’d be able to mimic Xavier’s facial structure.

Regardless, the helmeted mastermind look is pretty great.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Archyduchess posted:

I think this is watered down a bit by Morrison's insistence on taking a taste of every single piece of the X-Men pie-- I don't care about the Starjammers, and yeah, his take on Magneto at the end works in the context of his story, but is kind of a rotten thing to do with a long-established and well-liked character who, presumably, other characters would like to use. Overall I still like it, even if, honestly, when I do reread it I'm pretty selective in which parts I care to revisit.

You shouldn’t like Magneto. He’d enslave or kill every human on Earth if he had his way. Xavier makes nice with him as an attempt to keep him on some sort of leash. Let’s not forget what a jerk Xavier can be, and he’s supposed to be the good guy.

It’s the same thing with Doctor Doom. He only gets to act noble when there’s a larger threat, or when he’s tired of getting beat down for a while.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Morrison during a 2004 interview- “What people often forget, of course, is that Magneto, unlike the lovely Sir Ian McKellen, is a mad old terrorist twat. No matter how he justifies his stupid, brutal behaviour, or how anyone else tries to justify it, in the end he's just an old bastard with daft, old ideas based on violence and coercion. I really wanted to make that clear”

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Some people don’t buy into “I used to be a genocidal maniac, but I’m ok now.” It’s fine that the X-Men let him into the fold, but let’s not pretend they didn’t cut their teeth stopping him from stealing nuclear missiles. Better to have him as an ally than as an enemy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Apocalypse looked like a hero in the X-Factor annual where he fought the High Evolutionary.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I remember that one. With the church infecting people with the Brood.

My X-Men figures had a lot of battles with my Alien figures.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He hasn’t shown up much, but Broo is an official Avengers support staff member.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He has a team of nautical villains in Avengers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’m sure Kurt has strong feelings about the resurrection process, but the only thing he has more faith in than his religion is the X-Men.

I can also understand them letting the villains in. Better to keep them close, than leaving them out in the world unsupervised. Krakoa can just as easily be a prison for any mutant that threatens the dream.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

His Sinister wasn’t much different at all in Secret Wars.

Waiting for Madelyne Pryor to come back.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The leak makes perfect sense. Spring and Autumn are transitional. They want to live in Summer, but are prepared for Winter if need be.

Drawing parallels between Cerebro and the Phalanx is hurting my brain.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

New Mutants was really good. You can see why so many of Marvel’s modern writers are in love with it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I appreciate that they’re not overadvertising the ongoing series that are spinning out of this. We have a strong structure built, and the power players established. I’m excited how things grow from it. Something something fertile ground, seeds, and fruit.

I haven’t read Secret Warriors, but Wolverine vs Gorgon in Enemy of the State was enough to make me appreciate that moment.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I love that two pages are dedicated to a six pack of beer bringing characters together. Wolverine/Gorgon, Emma/Jean, and Cyclops/Havok. The first panel even has Hank, Bobby, and Warren together. And I can see Exodus telling stories to the kids becoming a thing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Xavier just thinks the best place for Sabertooth is in his basement. He did it in the early nineties, and nothing bad happened.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

danbanana posted:

Where everyone knows your name (because you all have the same name because you're all clones of the same person)!

Where everyone knows your DNA.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Best thing Mark Millar did for Marvel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They lean in to kiss.

*Bonk!*

They didn’t take off their helmets.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’m reading Inferno, and I wouldn’t mind the O5 wearing their X Factor costumes for a mission.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

People didn’t like Jean being scared.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’s not though. When Jean gets resurrected in HoX, her and Storm repeat an exchange from Inferno.

Jean first made that costume to get away from the original school uniforms. She wore it again to distance herself from the Phoenix. It’s her most independent costume.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Loved everything about this issue. Cyclops was perfect

We won’t have to wait long for more Starjammers. They’ll be teaming up with the New Mutants.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

danbanana posted:

https://twitter.com/ClaremontRun/status/1184840027127386114

Claremont wanting orgies 30 years before Hickman pulled it off.

Also: look how great Silvestri and Green's work is here. Simple and scratchy, but evoking a hell of a lot of facial emotion, plus GREAT comical framing on the first panel. I decided a long time ago that Silvestri having to meet some tight deadlines resulted in his best work. And I don't think there has been a better X-artist for the comedy stuff ever. Claremont clearly felt the same way considering how many sight gags and silly issues ran in this era.

Just read that issue last night. It’s the same issue where the not Ghostbusters are killed by a demon elevator while Madelyne seduces Havok.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Alaois posted:

it wasn't quietly dropped, you just didn't read Weapon X like everyone should have been doing

Didn’t people think it was one of the better X Books at the time?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Supposedly Giant Size X-Men is an ongoing with different artists and characters in each issue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Hickman will also be doing guest arcs in other X books as part of the larger world building like he’s doing with New Mutants.

He mentions coming back to comics because he wants his art to be seen. Seemed really burned out trying to appeal to suits, and selling scripts that’ll never see the light of day.

Hickman might seem kind of smug, but I think he’s deservedly confident in his storytelling.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Cloks posted:

Yeah but also where's the Madrox solo series we deserve?

Unless he loses his powers, it can never be a solo series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Besides being called Wolverine, he really does work as Australian. The tan costume looks like it could blend into the outback, and you can picture a guy pulling a knife on him before he pops his claws “You call that a knife?”