Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Land's art has definitely improved, even since Uncanny even, which was also a step up. It's still not GOOD art, and a boy does he draw an awful couple of faces in this first issue, but it is at least bearable.

Compare this to his stuff during Gillen or Fraction's runs on Uncanny. That stuff is hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

rantmo posted:

Having gotten to listen to the announcement finally, I'm actually not too worried about the future of it. Even without the life changes Jay and Miles are undergoing, they've earned a break but nothing about it sounds permanent; it's so much a part of their lives it just doesn't seem like the sort of thing they'd walk away from easily.

Yeah, the fact that they kept the podcast running without a break through a loving divorce (albeit an amicable one) is a testament to the fact that the will is there. The three month gap really seems like 1 month for them to get settled in and figure out how to run a cross-country podcast, and 2 months of well-deserved time off that they should have taken already.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

rantmo posted:

The thing I love most about X-plain The X-Men is how we'll edited it is, there are no "um"s or pauses that are not left in on purpose and the contents are so well-planned. There are so many other podcasts I can't listen to because they're just so loving rambling and unfocused.

Yeah, the 'explaining' format is infinitely superior to the 'reaction' format that 99% of these type of shows use. I've started listening to a Buffy podcast and the hosts are funny and everything, but it's all 'and then… and then…'

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

bobkatt013 posted:

Did you get all the ones by Alan Davis? His run finishes up claremonts subplots and is Fucken awesome. How is the Ellis stuff?

I just went through the Ellis stuff a couple of days ago. The last couple of issues are kind of mediocre, but it's quite good overall. He's got a really good handle on all of the characters for coming into a book 80-odd issues in.

The worst part, honestly, is that the first issue of his run opens with a Bill Sienkiewicz cover and first page, and then the rest of the issue is I don't even know, who cares, it ain't Bill Sienkiewicz.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

twistedmentat posted:

Glad I chose Jean Grey over Generation X. With others on Blue being the better team book.

Gen X was the one I was most looking forward to, but yeah, it's been rather mediocre so far. I really dislike the way Quentin is drawn.

Also, Jubilee's definitely still a vampire, right? She definitely was like two months ago in Hellcat. But she's spent two issues so far standing around in the sunlight like it's nobody's business.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

twistedmentat posted:

Naw, Peak Claremont is during Asgardian Wars when Amora captured Illyana, and uh...stuff happens.

http://imgur.com/a/rNSMO

I don't think this is where Magik became my favorite of the New Mutants, but I hope its not.

I think Peak Claremont is when he created a team of super-villains where each member's powers corresponded to one of Claremont's fetishes.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

twistedmentat posted:

She certainly de-ages over her appearances though.

Excalibur would be great to see again. Though I don't know if they could capture the pure craziness of the Claremont series. Though I'd hope they'd be smart enough not to try to replicate that, and let it be its own thing.

Give it to Al Ewing. That amazing Daredevil riff in the Rocket book this week felt like it was pulled straight out of Excalibur.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Aphrodite posted:

That's Bastion, Emma and Ms. Sinister near the end right? Who's the red one?

Not sure, though I think the other three are all right. Maybe like Danger with a red color scheme? I can kind of see her dreads in that, but she's not exactly an existential threat to the X-men.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Aphrodite posted:

So I guess we can assume we're not actually supposed to know who that 4th one is yet.

That's obviously the answer, but...

The grammar of the scene suggests to me that if they were supposed to be a mystery, they'd be the last one introduced. Having it be A, ?, B, C is a weird order to put it in. If it went A, B, C, ? I don't think anybody would even be concerned.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

irlZaphod posted:

Is anything even renumbered there outside of Gen X and Cable? Astonishing isn't, Weapon X isn't. Is OML?

With Weapon X, isn't there just the AoA book? That's only a couple issues and not really related to the current book. OML is the same thing; the original arc was published under the Wolverine heading and including the Secret Wars series only gets you another five issues, which is probably a small enough boost to be legit confusing.

I'm more surprised that they're keeping Blue and Gold the same, given that they're basically straight continuations of All-New and Uncanny, respectively. You could even throw the original run of The X-Men in with Blue if you wanted.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Soonmot posted:

so yeah, they're having Emma attempt to turn teenage scott into adult scott, complete with him loving her. What the gently caress?

I skimmed through the first issue of the Secret Empire crossover and decided to wait it out before picking up Blue again. Good to know that was the right decision.

Everything that's been mentioned here about New Tian sounds dumb as poo poo and I hope there's an immediate reset after this dumb crossover is finally over.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

pubic works project posted:

Sooooooooooooooo....is Xavier gonna hop in like a brain-dead twin body like in the movies? "I didn't just have a sister, Cassandra Nova. I had a brother too!!"

There's been enough fuckery going on with the professor's brain that it could be anything, really. It could be legit Xavier, it could be a corrupted version, it could be Onsalught Mk. IV, who knows.

By the way, against my better judgment I picked up the last couple Secret Empire issues of Blue.

Rahne Sinclair has a new power. Instead of turning into a wolf, she can turn into ...multiple wolves???

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 28, 2017

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Metalshark posted:

Ah yes, another strong X-woman going nuts, just like Scarlet Witch, Polaris, Jean Grey (admittedly due to Mastermind), Magik (debatable perhaps), etc but in this case it's over her ex-boyfriend. Sure, she could still have had feelings for him, but this is a very extreme, tiresome reaction to me and if she is just trying to manipulate Tykeclops to replace Scott then that's weird and bad writing though I will withhold total judgement for now since there could be more to it.

I also take umbrage with your assertion that she has nothing good in her life as she is loaded, actually does have friends among the X-Men and presumably beyond. She's also been 'heroic' for far longer than she's been a villain at this point, so it's rather an extreme backslide, which could have been cool (i.e. tying it to her previously lost classes or revealing that Cyclops helped her deal with her lovely family and having her snap), but instead was simply a contrived event flip.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with this. Emma trying to carry on Scott's dream (and possibly getting it very wrong)? That's interesting. Emma falling out with the X-Men because she feels (wrongly) like she has no place there without Scott? That's interesting. But this is just lazy. Emma being written really dumb is cooling me a lot on Blue (well, that and the dumb SE stuff), whereas previously it felt like Bunn recovering a little after the general dullness of the latest UXM.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

pubic works project posted:

Gold hasn't touched Secret Empire at all. It's just Blue.

Gold had a two-issue tie-in that didn't really have all that much to do with the crossover, but it did get the banner at the top, so.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't there something with cloned X-Men wandering the universe at the end of the first Brood Saga that was never addressed (or at least never addressed by Claremont)? Did anyone ever do anything with that, it was a pretty classic X-Men team too if I remember right, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolverine, Shadow Cat (I think she was going by Sprite at the time), maybe someone else.

That was New Mutants 63, the very first comic book I ever read. I picked it out of my uncle's collection because there was a girl in a spacesuit with a sweet looking laser gun on the cover. When J&M covered it, they pointed out that although the story apparently actually happened, it was told as like a memory within a dream within a flashback for some dumb reason.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rhyno posted:

Nearly all my preorders have dropped Blue and Gold from their pulls. Orders are way up on Weapon X and Cable and we sold 60 copies of Astonishing #1 and had to reorder more.

So something's working here, just not everything.

That feels about right. Cable and Weapon X have both been really pleasant surprises, especially with Land taking a vacation during the WMD crossover. Blue is just good enough to not drop, but Bunn's never really been a particularly good writer and I'm kind of sick of his take on X-stuff at this point. And Gold is just the safest possible X-Men book you could ever write. It's so dull.

Really, except for Blue and Gold, the side books are all pretty great. Retool those two and you'd have a stellar lineup.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

irlZaphod posted:

Aside from experimenting on himself a couple of times, I feel like the "Hank McCoy is a gently caress up" thing is really only something from the past 10 years or so. I like his character a lot, but I feel like he's been somewhat mistreated since Endangered Species.

I feel like you get some bits of that in Morrison's run, too. It's been building for a while, it's just that it's usually been tempered with his more laid-back side.

I do really like Hank as just a complete failure of a human being, and I'm kind of disappointed they seem to be pulling back from that post-IvX.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Zoro posted:

What's everyone's feelings on X-men blue? I've been reading it and I've enjoyed it so far, but I decided to check around the general buzz for the series and it seemed a bit negative. Now, I kind of disregarded some of it since some people seem to be pretty sour grapes about Jean Grey being team leader (they keep asking why Cyclops is not leader: guess they forgot he's afraid of repeating the past and becoming future cyclops) and those complaints read to me as bad faith arguments, if you know what I mean.

So, yeah, what does everyone think of the series?

I think angel needs a little bit more screen time. I also like Hank turning wizard since it justifies him while normal Hank is still around. Bobby is a little bit one-dimensional though. They try to have a little depth with him over his boyfriend never calling, but they're not giving enough time to really make that hit the audience. I would be interested in seeing more with him. And Jim needs a lot more screen time because currently he hasn't had a lot of chance to really develop and let the audience know who he is.

Overall, I think it's a good start to a series and I hope it gets better as time goes on.

I quite liked it when it first started out. It was probably the book I was most surprised by coming out of ResurreXion, largely because I'm just about tired of Bunn's take on X-men at this point. It's just that the Secret Empire crossover was such a slam into a brick wall that I haven't actually bothered to open up the issues that have come out since.

Scott and Jean are great, I love Hank making the same mistakes but in different ways. And I agree, Bunn hasn't done much with Iceman and nobody's really done much with Angel, ever. He feels the most extraneous of the O5 by far.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Zoro posted:

I'd say to give the next issue a shot. It's a return to the norm. There is some lingering stuff from Secret Empire, but I can spoil that for you, if you want. It looks like it's going to be an interesting an issue 11 and I'm interested in how they explore Hank's Magic here.

Thanks. I've got the issues, they've just become low priority for me; I will get around to them. Especially with a Mojo story looming.

Archyduke posted:

I love Hank. He was my favorite on the cartoon as a kid, he was often the only touch of groundedness in the sometimes operatic over-wroughtness of the 90s series, and when Morrison first dabbled with writing him as gay it was revelatory to me as a confused teen idiot even if it never really led anywhere...I'm sort of done with one of my favorite characters being the James Buchanan of mutantdom (my other favorite is Nightcrawler so who knows, I guess I chose poorly).

Are we talking Buchanan in the sense of 'literally the worst' or, since you mentioned it, in the sense of 'possibly secretly gay?' Or both, I suppose?

Hank is one of the characters who comes across best in the cartoon, even though he's written quite differently than his comics persona. There's a little bit of the 'ooh, he quotes Twain, he must be smart' stuff, but he comes across as a guy who's so comfortable in his own skin. He's one of the best parts of The Last Stand, too.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BrianWilly posted:

I'll be reading this because I'm interested, but I can't help but be a little underwhelmed as well? There's just no synergy to this lineup. Out of the entire cast, it feels like the only people who have any connection with each other at all is Jean and Kurt, and even then it'd be a bit of a stretch to say their history is all that involved.

All-New Wolverine is good enough that I'm willing to give Taylor the benefit of the doubt. I mean, presumably, editorial wasn't like "YOU HAVE TO HAVE GENTLE ON YOUR TEAM."

Trinary is a dumb name, though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Nightcrawler was in Excalibur through most of the 90s, so unless they were playing really loose with geography, they probably wouldn'tve hung out too much.

Does Nightcrawler still not have a soul, anyway?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

twistedmentat posted:

I got bored with OML in the Last Ronin storyline, it just was so boring and drawn out.

There's some really good stuff in Lemire's OML but the Last Ronin and especially that final arc were just awful. Well, it's been a whole two years since Wolverine's had a "greatest hits"-themed story arc, time to do another one.

OML vs Brood and vampires was good stuff, though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Really liked that last issue of Phoenix Resurrection but it also feels like the previous four were totally pointless. It could have just been a one-shot, basically.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah Phoenix while Jean was in an egg underwater seems to have been quietly forgotten.

During AvX on the moon all the dialogue was as if it was the real Jean who died there.

At one point (Inferno?) Jean, the Phoenix clone, and Madelyne Pryor's memories all got absorbed into one. So she at least remembers being killed on the moon even if it wasn't really her.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Iceman and Angel aren't really interesting, but I would hate to lose young Cyclops, and, to a lesser extent, Hank and Jean. Now that they've backed off on Beast being the worst and brought Jean back, though, they're not that necessary.

Has Brisson ever written anything good, though? I don't think I've liked a single thing of his.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Am I wrong in thinking that Havok has been shown as not evil anymore since Axis? He's pretty clearly still a bad guy in this week's Blue.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think you can see Claremont improving consistently as his run progresses as well.

I agree with this, too. A lot of people I know and a few people in this thread have said that Australia is where Claremont starts to peter out for them, but I love that he really just tries to upset the status quo and do something new (and then tries again when he disbands the X-Men for like a year). It's never perfect, but it works rather well. X-Tinction Agenda is a bit of a step back, but it's also at the tail end of his run, and even it's trying something new (that is the first crossover where the individual books were taken over to tell a sequential story, right?).

This is part of why I hate X-Men Gold so much. I can't think of a single writer that's tried to strip-mine the Claremont stuff as much as Guggenheim has. While there's Claremont nostalgia all over the place, other writers have at least glanced at books published since 1992.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

if they don't make Kitty back out because 'weddings are scary' but actually give her, you know, a half-decent reason, I think it'll be just fine.

I am really okay with this development, but I'm also sure that's exactly what's going to happen.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
They are just straight up a couple in UXM and I'm pretty sure the only reason nobody raised a stink is that nobody explicitly says it and that Destiny is a senior citizen.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rhyno posted:

Let's not even act like it has a chance of not being poo poo.

Magneto feels like one of the few characters Claremont could still write well, but then a few years ago I'd have said the same thing about Nightcrawler.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
He might only be speaking in the context of the X-Men: Evolution version, although it'd probably be an uphill battle getting a gay character in a kids' cartoon in 2001. It's long past time for some Evolution nostalgia, too; '92 was great, but I want to see teen gothy Rogue crossing universes and finding out she's married to Gambit.

I do wish there was a little more motivation towards some gay/bi male characters into the mix, though. Any representation is great, but as a straight dude, it makes me a little skeptical that like half the female characters have prominent creators in favor of their queerness, and on the male side, there's... Iceman and Anole? Daken? Nobody else is coming to mind.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

Uhm, Northstar had a gay wedding you apparently forgot about, to be fair so did everyone else.

:doh: He's like the first one too! And I did like that run of Astonishing.

Anyway, this is the part where everybody lists the 30 gay X-Dudes I forgot about.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't know if anybody is actually still reading New Mutants-Dead Souls, but it wrapped up this week on a major cliffhanger. After being really iffy on the first couple of issues I ended up really enjoying it. The art is great--Illyana especially--and Rosenberg has a good handle on the voice of the characters.

It also approaches doing one of my fantasy pitches for X-Men--moving Karma into an antagonist role basically by her making hundreds of little compromising decisions as the head of an enormous company, and having all her friends thinking she's just possessed for the nth time instead of doing it of her own volition.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I liked it, too. The only downside is the cliffhanger, because I'm not sure we're getting a follow up.

I assume it'll be dealt with in Uncanny since Rosenberg's one of the architects of that now. As least I hope because otherwise that's a lot of characters left in limbo.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

twistedmentat posted:

I'll have to grab it when its it trade. Its funny, that version of Illyana showed up sometimes in Bendis's run. It was weird.

She's definitely as good as this as she's been since she came back from the dead, yeah. I honestly can't even remember what Illyana's deal is right now. When she first came back she was just the Darkchilde with no soul, then she got her soul back but lost it again? Whatever the case is, here she's portrayed as somewhat aloof but clearly human struggling with the corruption inside of her.

The only real memorable moment of the past several years I can think of is her revealing to Piotr that she pushed him to become the Juggernaut so that he would learn what it's like to deal with a dark force within. Which is a wonderfully dark moment exactly halfway between human and demon.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Aphrodite posted:

Plus I think a whole bit in the resurrection story was Jean realizing she's passed Scott?

(Which makes little sense for her since she's spent all that time in between dead, but whatever.)

I think Jean as a Phoenix host is semi-alive/conscious of what's going on around her in the White Hot Room. She definitely popped up from time to time even after her death in the context of the Phoenix.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Covok posted:

I know there are reading order to take a macro View and kind of just tell you what series to read, but is there any like really in-depth accurate reading orders for X-Men that tells you every series in the order of which they were released and when they cross over at what issue and what needs to be up to on all the series for that cross over to make sense?

I'm considering an actual real deal start from zero like Jay and Miles.

Perhaps things will finally make sense then.

It's not necessarily going to tell you about every guest appearance or whatever, but comics are generally pretty good about letting you know when a crossover or event or miniseries is happening (because they want you to buy those books, too!) If you decided to start reading Uncanny from issue 94 or whatever the editor's notes would keep you pretty clued in to when New Mutants starts/the Wolverine mini happens/etc.

Chronologial reading has never been my thing, but one piece of advice J&M dropped way back was looking at :filez: sites for stuff like X-Men chronologically and then USE THAT AS A READING LIST ONLY. But I suspect that that might be more in-universe chronologically that publishing order.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

Even if that existed it still wouldn't make sense. The X-Men are basically Finnegan's Wake.

It exists and it doesn't. I did google "x-men chronological" for a lark and this site immediately made my eyes glaze over. I've read almost everything on this guide and it is still absolute gibberish.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Teenage Fansub posted:

Looks like Rosenberg gets UXM when it goes monthly.
https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/1063082661336567809

Ths is my fault, I found a monkey's paw and wished that Greg Land wouldn't be the artist on UXM.

Larocca is the loving worst. His art on Star Wars literally made me nauseous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

X-O posted:

Larocca is weird. Sometimes he's godawful and sub-Land and sometimes he's actually pretty good. I keep wanting him to go back to whatever he was doing on the Cable and X-Force series he did with Dennis Hopeless. I really enjoyed his art in that. The designs were a little overly busy for my tastes but I enjoyed the art.

Every time I see someone post a Star Wars panel from him though it's the loving worst.

Huh. His Star Wars is so bad it made me forget that he did other stuff. His work on Cable and X-Force was unremarkable but basically fine, yeah.

I wonder if it's more the coloring on Star Wars that's making it look awful, or Larocca's tracing and the colorist's colors in some sort of terrible feedback loop.