Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I will never get the affection people have for that character, he was such a petty sociopathic gently caress up in his first few appearances I've just never been able to see the attraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Alaois posted:

is "Ecks Twenny Three" really that much more of a mouthful to say than "Wolverine"

Yes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Alaois posted:

she's an upper-class Bostonian

she should talk like JFK

His people are new money trash, they lack the utterly detached from all reality Brahmin accent.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

That's what I wanted from the start. I like Logan being back, but I would have prefered if Laura just straight up was Wolverine. Being salty with the team leader, drinkin' beer, chewing on cigars, calling people knucklehead and banging everything.

I mean all of that is because Logan is a sad, broken loser that would be much happier if he was a young girl. Hence him constantly hanging out with them. So just make him the young girl he always wanted to be.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Seemlar posted:

If Xavier's resurrection was coming back in Fantomex's body, is he even a telepath anymore? Or did they just kind of hand wave away that aspect.

He's basically the same as the Shadow King, an astral entity that has powers no matter what body it takes. Hilariously though Fantomex isn't a mutant, so unless Xavier had a new body made he's marching around in a non-mutant body.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

danbanana posted:

poo poo is getting crowded.

It's fine, all of them die. Only Franklin makes it to whatever comes next.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I knew I should have put a loving * next to that one until Immortal Hulk raps up that future flash.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I will say that if there's one thing Hickman's run has done so far, it's to make me think twice about the plight of humans in a future run by mutants. It might be partially because he's making Xavier such a big dick and Krakoa really bizarrely antagonistic, but I'm actually a bit more interested in the human side of the argument this time around instead of just brushing it off like every other time someone has tried establish to these sorts of anti-mutant characters.

Imagine a future society where random genetic circumstances of your birth will make you either godlike superpowerful or just slightly deformed. Imagine your child's classmate being automatically a math genius because his mutant powers allow him to talk to numbers or something, while your own child has purple feet and that's it, and then also your estranged nephew one day develops omega class plant control powers and becomes set for life because the upper echelon of this society literally sees him as their most valuable resource. It would be a most extreme sort of meritocracy on a level that pervades every aspect of life.

Of course, the X-Men's side of the argument (pre-Krakoa, I suppose; I've no idea what their current social philosophy is) would be that we already kinda have that. Some kids are already better at other kids at some things, and some people are just born privileged and powerful in ways that have nothing to do with superpowers, and what's important is that we teach everyone with those advantages to be responsible with them and to use them to protect the less powerful and fortunate. But then, we already have trouble doing that, so an extreme paradigm shift to the point of "literally everyone has superpowers as determined by fate" would very arguably just flat-out upend world society as it currently stands.

Imagine a world where the super soldier serum costs 20k and is covered by your health insurance. Imagine a world where people have mostly forgot mutants are a thing because the capacity to choose your own genetic development rendered the random attributes of the x-gene totally irrelevant. Imagine a world where mutants died out and nobody noticed for decades because everyone just stopped caring.

e: That is the future of the Marvel setting if they were allowed to actually not be close to our world, by the by. What was practically a miracle in WW2 would be trivial a hundred years later. And at that point you have a Steve Rogers as your baseline. Someone smarter, faster, stronger, that can potentially live for centuries.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Except souls are real and like a dozen people on their island have been to literal heaven. Even more have been to hell. So the answer to how you tell the difference is "Magic, which a bunch of us know, or really advanced technology, which basically does the same thing". This isn't a philosophical question in their world. It was answered, definitively, forever. And if you get popped and someone makes a clone of you, well, I hope you lived a good life and your mutant terrorism actually WAS justified. Otherwise you will scream forever in quite real hell. Or that that cloning process gives enough of a poo poo to get your soul and plop it in there. Or that clone you doesn't have a soul, and when called on to commit crimes and die just fades away from existence rather than the eternal torment thing.

e: You could get some mileage about religion in a story set in one of these comic worlds where it's just definitive that the vast majority of stuff everyone believes is totally 100% true.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 8, 2019