Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, that's Rictor!

How vampire is Jubilee these days?

Non.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

In general it does feel a bit like that in recent years. Kind of picking a few out of a hat for each book. One thing I notice is across the line, you do have the entire nostalgic X-Men TAS era line-up, scattered around. Plus the 80s favs Pryde and Colossus, just missing Nightcrawler. I wonder what's with the Marvel Girl thing. Not to make fun of older readers by any means, it's just interesting that you'd have to be about 65 to have read the new issues with that look. And not as timeless as some oldschool designs, seemed retro in it's appearances in the 70s.

Happy to give these a try, though the main book doesn't initially give off the vibe of being a smash hit. But that's just speculation. I think part of what made Hickman's Fantastic Four so good was that it was so true to it. Mixing up the status quo and whatnot is great, but the backbone of these books should be that it's the ongoing story of these people living their lives. Since that's considered what was so special and revolutionary about these comics at their peak. That and the imaginative adventures, allegories and whatnot along the way.

It feels like a lot of X-Men books have been mission books in recent years. I don't think that's what a main X-book should be though. Seeing a bunch of gloomy looking dudes on the moon doesn't scream that Hickman has nailed it here. Why are they on a boat in Duggan's book. I love One Piece, don't get me wrong, but you travel really fast in a sci-fi vehicle, you don't even touch the water, it does not make sense folks. And speaking of One Piece, I'm fine with Luffy getting new powers, but I hope Wolverine's Hot Claws are quietly retired some time soon. It'd be like giving Batman acid spit or something. Yes I know that sounds cool.

Sure this is a long post, I'm not the writer here Hickman, you're supposed to be the writer. He reads this right.

i feel it helps to read this post in the voice of Neil Hamburger

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Remenders' X-Force is the one that gets all the attention and praise but to me it's Si Spurrier's X-Force that is the absolute must- read of the series.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Hopeless' Cable and X-Force was quite good. I never thought I'd like Domino so much.

According to Hopeless' interview with Jay & Miles, neither did he. :v: He said she was essentially foisted upon him by editorial against his wishes because they wanted more than just Cable on the team for continuity with the X-Force name. Now he's written a Secret Wars tie-in focused around her and Colossus plus a story in her Annual from last year.

Sometimes editorial mandate is good!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Cool, I'll put those X-Force series on the list. I do like how the art in those sometimes looks like a 2000AD comic. Having a 2000AD writer like Spurrier is also a bonus. I think I'll check out issue 500 and whatnot of Fraction's X run too for fun.

Spurrier's version of X-Force is very 2000AD, being essentially a commentary on the nature of "black ops" and how far they can go while still being rooted for and perceived as "the good guys" because of how their actions are framed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

A lot of Rosenberg I've seen was 'man everybody liked X-Men Red what am I doing wrong?' and then being unwilling to take criticism (which is admittedly probably buried under a lot of typical internet comics hate).

Has anyone broken the news to him that he isn't Tom Taylor? It might help.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

What are people's opinions on Deadly Genesis? I realized the only comics I've read with Vulcan was that War of Kings cosmic stuff by Abnett and Lanning. Figure I might study up on him since he's apparently gonna be part of this stuff moving forward.

The only real opinions I've heard of Deadly Genesis are "wait no stop oh god why"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think it's very telling that the mutants to act as "ambassadors" to humanity were Magneto and Esme Cuckoo, The Evil Cuckoo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Also someone just brought this up in the main Marvel thread and it's something about House of X that stood out to me immediately, the lettering is done in proper-case instead of all-caps.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Also remember, from Hickman's own Avengers run, A.I.M. was bought wholesale by Bobby DaCosta. Even in the interest of establishing a new status quo for mutants, would he really throw that away in order to make them the number 1 contributor to the secret cooperative project to potentially wipe out mutants?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spurrier's X-Force.

e: damnit X-O

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah Evan is still a kid - and was seen as such during Age of X-Man. The early indications are that Apocalypse really did have a genuine change of heart during the events of Age of X-Man and is trying to view the world through some lens that isn't brutal Darwinism; only time will tell if that's genuine or not, obviously.

I would look sort of cross-eyed at the idea of working with Apocalypse if the X-Men didn't have a long and storied history of taking in their villains and trying to reform them (Magneto, Juggernaut, Mimic... hell, Cannonball was working for the Hellfire Club in his first appearance). Those dudes'll try and reform anyone.

I feel like Cannonball shouldn't count because he defected in his first appearance. Warpath, though, was a member of the Hellions for a while before joining.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Actually, I'd be legit interested to see a book or an arc like that from somebody like Leah Williams, where mutants with blatantly non-humanoid appearances are used as part of a gentle conversation about body image in general.

she already broached the topic in the Domino Annual with her and Kurt starting a support group for non-Human passing mutants, it'd be cool to see her continue with that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I'm trying to imagine Domino explaining her struggles with not looking like everyone else to Beak.

You should look up the actual story, it features possibly the only time Stacy X has been well written in her history and it's explaining to the rest of the group why she's there despite looking like a normal human since she was depowered

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-Statix :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fritzler posted:

I noticed that, but its in Moria's life 2. It's a clearly different timeline and that could be literal or not as well. Not enough to say anything.

edit: could be sarcasm too!

Life 3, Life 2 ended in an unceremonious plane crash on the way to meet Professor Xavier. :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wanderer posted:

She punched Sabertooth from northern France into the Pyrenees one time, which meant she threw him most of the way to Spain.

Sabertooth getting punched very very far is a great reoccurring gag

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fritzler posted:

Very interesting new issue. Things I took of note:
-Liked Frost and the Cuckoos scene a lot, although where is the third?

Those two are Esme and Sophie, the two dead Cuckoos. You should be asking where the other three are.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fritzler posted:

What? I did not realize that but you are right. That is kind of big and I don't know how I missed it. If Xavier is just creating copies of consciousness and cloning bodies (as current speculation) he would not be able to do it to these cuckoos. Or has had their consciousness saved for a while (although it wouldn't be that wild for the cuckoos to have saved their sisters' memories).

the first arc of the most recent X-23 series was about the Cuckoos trying to bring Sophie and Esme back to life because they do, in fact, have some version of their memories/consciousness stored in some way.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

poo poo. And what book was this in?

Extermination

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

unrelated but the ads for the upcoming X-Men series was the first time I noticed Quentin's shirt on the cover of X-Force :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I just had to go look at it and I need more context, assuming Nathan is Cable I don't know who the rest of the names are. I get the format of the meme and that seems on on brand for Quentin Quire.

Nathan& Cable
Neena& Domino
Gaveedra& Shatterstar
Tabitha& Boom-Boom
Maria& Feral
Sam& Cannonball
James. Warpath

The original lineup of X-Force

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Out of personal bias, I say #9 is Cable and Domino :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Also I guess (issue spoilers) this is why Jean has been acting "regressed" this whole time. Wonder who the other "Legacy" imprint Charles has done, though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

already gone

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

so now that Dawn of X is starting can we get a new thread or thread title at least, the Age of X-Man has been over for months

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I've seen speculation that Jean's been reverted to a 'Legacy' persona for whatever reason, which seems...kinda hosed up? Also kinda weird that nobody else has noticed.

there's "speculation" and there's "it may as well have been blatantly spelled out on the page in one of the House of X issues" and i felt like i was going crazy because nobody else picked up on it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I do actually appreciate that his answer to "what about souls and the afterlife and all that stuff, it's canon in the Marvel Universe" is basically "yeah well a lot of things are 'canon' in the Marvel Universe that gets rightfully ignored 99% of the time and this will be too"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think given the fact that we were told that Telepathic mutants specifically have the capability of being brought back to life as "legacy" versions of themselves, and that Professor X has already done so twice (which I read as the implication as to why Jean Grey is suddenly acting younger and dressing like Marvel Girl again), I'm expecting later on a surprise redebut of Old Cable

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cabbit posted:

Apparently the only reformed mutants who are allowed to stay reformed are Magneto (dubiously) and Emma Frost (stylishly).

Yes, I am still annoyed that Sabretooth's inversion was just quietly dropped, thanks for asking. :colbert:

it wasn't quietly dropped, you just didn't read Weapon X like everyone should have been doing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure he was already reverting to type by Weapon X, Old Man Logan was just pointing him at useful targets and he didn't mind.

I mean he was still Sabretooth but he was trying to be a good guy, especially after Logan put him in charge of the team when his body was starting to break down. when they went to hell to finally kill William Stryker, Sabretooth gave up his morality to bring his son Greydon Creed out of hell because he felt bad about abandoning him.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Didn’t people think it was one of the better X Books at the time?

It was which is why everyone should have been reading it!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember Gambit's psychic charm, which is supposed to be the reason his eyes look like that?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

part of me feels like that entire fight scene was Gerry Duggan's response to every time there's a fight scene involving Kate Pryde people always ask "Well why doesn't she just x" and his response is "okay here's her doing all of the things people keep saying she should do"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Is Lockheed a mutant? I thought he was an alien or a Limbo creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the only reason Wolverine is Canadian is because Len Wein wanted him on the All New International X-Men Team and Thunderbird was already chosen as The American Team Member