Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Did you get all the ones by Alan Davis? His run finishes up claremonts subplots and is Fucken awesome. How is the Ellis stuff?

Excalibur #50 is one of my favourite single issues ever. Probably my second-favourite. (My favourite is New Mutants Annual #3.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm imagining Shooter sending Claremont a strongly-worded letter explaining that no, he can't include a scene where the robot changes the X-Men's nappies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

They should bring back Excalibur, but with the subtitle being "Coalition of Chaos."

Captain Britain's always struck me as a bit of a stodgy old Tory. He'd be supportive of strong and stable superheroics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Either Al Ewing, Kieron Gillen or Paul Cornell for Excalibur. And as for the artist, Alan Davis would be ideal, but since he doesn't do so many interiors these days, Richard Elson.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Sunfire got both his legs chopped off by Lady Deathstrike and died, but first got Rogue to take his powers permanently so she could bring Deathstrike to justice, and then for a while Rogue had Sunfire's powers permanently?

Did Sunfire's younger sister (Sunpyre) ever appear again after the Eve of Destruction storyline from immediately before Morrison and Quitely took over the comic?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Apocalypse restore Sunfire? And he even got his AOA appearance in the deal.

I'm not sure - a lot of late 2000s X-Men is a bit blurry to me. I only really know about that because I remember it was one of the first things I read on Wikipedia in maybe 2005 (?) or so.

How did Rogue get her Carol Danvers powers back? I remember she lost all her powers in X-Treme X-Men, then she had Sunfire's powers, then there's a bunch of stories I never read and the next one I remember with Rogue in it (would've been Claremont's third run before and during House of M) she's back to normal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

Just wanted to say that Mastermind is the loving worst. Shaw isn't a Nazi and im not sure why Kevin Bacon was cast as this dude. The Hellfire Club is amazing, and I love it.

That's it for now!

Fun fact(s): the Hellfire Club as portrayed in the comic is based on an episode of The Avengers and Mastermind's appearance is based on Peter Wyngarde, who played the villain in said episode; the character's name combines Wyngarde's surname with the forename of his most famous character, Jason King.

The other major members of the Inner Circle were likewise based visually on and named for actors who were popular in the 60s and 70s: Sebastian Shaw is Robert Shaw; Donald Pierce was Donald Sutherland; Harry Leland was based on Orson Welles and named after Harry Lime); Emma Frost is a bit of the odd one out, but I believe she's named for Emma Peel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a very odd phase of the Hellfire Club in the comics leading up to the Mutant Massacre where they become an actual supervillain team and start wearing really dorky-looking costumes. I suppose they were easier to draw than the Regency costumes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I listened to Jay & Miles for a long time and enjoyed them a lot, but I fell off at some point. I think around about the time they got to Mutant Massacre. I enjoyed their insight but thought they sometimes seemed almost too reverential of Claremont's work. I really liked the episode they did with Kurt Busiek as a guest which discussed the Silver Age team, because that was something they appreciated but weren't necessarily huge fans of.

Anyway, that's definitely on me; it's good podcast and definitely listen if you like the X-Men. I believe Miles has a Thor podcast now which I've been meaning to check out as well.

Edit: There's one episode where Jay interviews a guy who was a writer and producer for the X-Men '92 cartoon who also wrote the pitch bible for X-Men: Evolution, where he a) decides he needs to recap the entire history of X-Men (Jay - who obviously knows this all already - is polite but sounds incredibly bored); and b) keeps pronouncing "Claremont" as "Claremount" and it's really distracting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rkajdi posted:

See that's part of the interesting part to me. Claremont's X-Men is the best long run of any comic I can think of. I get that the sex fetish stuff is a huge hangup for some people in this forum, but TBQH I didn't notice it as a sex thing at all when I first read the run. I'm also sort of interested in seeing the podcast go over the reboot post-Muir Island, since that's where I picked up comics originally.

That's fair. My first encounter with Claremont was actually his second run on Uncanny (where he introduced the Neo, who weren't very interesting but were at least something other than "THE X-MEN AGAINST MAGNETO!" for the millionth time) and X-Treme X-Men, which I didn't really enjoy all that much at the time and, now that I have a fuller idea of his body of work for Marvel, think encapsulates most of his less glowing habits as a writer.

While I enjoy his classic run pretty much all the way through, and appreciate how important it was for Marvel and for superhero comics more generally, it doesn't mean as much to me as it does to a lot of folks for whom it's their formative experience of the X-Men, because I went into it associating Claremont with other versions of the X-Men which hadn't impressed me that much.

I agree that it's the best long run in superhero comics. What are the comparisons? I'll go with runs by a single writer that are 10 years or more off the top of my head, but which are also the defining runs in my mind. The closest comparison is Marv Wolfman on the New Teen Titans and its spin-offs, which he wrote for the same length of time as Claremont wrote X-Men - 16 years (Claremont: 1975-1991; Wolfman: 1980-1996). I like that but Claremont's X-Men is definitely better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rkajdi posted:

There's also a very long arc of LOSH stuff, but that's more writing rotating through a few guys instead of one consistent vision.

Oh, yeah, Paul Levitz wrote the Legion for about nine years or so, didn't he? I think he only has one story (Great Darkness Saga) that's really distinguished, but that might be because he allegedly used his pull when he was publisher to bar any Legion issues he wrote from ever being reprinted or collected.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RandallODim posted:

Actually, here's a question for the X-thread: Has Hank McCoy ever been not a gently caress up? Was his Avengers time better?

Hank was great in Avengers because he was the team's fun guy (who occasionally dressed like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever and was best mates with safari jacket Wonder Man) rather than their smart guy, like he is in X-Men.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Autism Sneaks posted:

lol it sounds like DC's Prometheus crossed over and became an X-villain

that's not a good thing

That would just be X-Cutioner from the 90s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of next year's X-Men omnibus collections is going to be "X-Men: Revolution by Chris Claremont" i.e. the soft reboot at the end of the 90s where Claremont returned to Uncanny and adjectiveless (and Wolverine's solo book) for about a year. The age of stuff like the Neo etc. Odd choice in my view but Claremont's name is obviously what will sell it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

davebo posted:

As someone who loves X-Men specifically because of his first run but never read any of that, would it be worth getting? Or is it just his name selling it and it wasn't actually worth it? How was the art for that stuff?

I have vaguely nostalgic feelings towards it because that Claremont run and the Alan Davis run before it (which I honestly think is a lot better because Davis basically wrote the X-Men having Excalibur adventures where they had run-ins with Galactus and met mutant Skrulls who formed their own Skrull version of the X-Men) because those were the first X-Men comics I read.

Probably not very good if I went back to them. I think the only really notable events in it are the deaths of Moira MacTaggart and Senator Kelly, which have actually managed to stick for the past 15 years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cant cook creole bream posted:

Who came up with the name “homo superior“ anyway? Was it Xavier? That sure isn't helping!

Wasn't it Bolivar Trask? I think (but I'm not sure) that it first appeared alongside the Sentinels.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Cassandra Nova and Vargas from X-Treme X-Men were bigged up as "homo sapiens superior" and it was treated like a big deal?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

Nah. Either they go straight back to romantic tension with Logan or they finally pull the trigger on her dating Storm. There isn't really a basis for anything else.

I didn't even know there was a bullet in the chamber. What's the background here?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

I'm half-kidding. As with a lot of Claremont's friendships, there are a lot of scenes between the two of them that can easily be construed as romantic.

I didn't think Jean and Storm had a huge amount of interaction in most of Claremont's stories. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was very surprised to learn Claremont was going for Kitty and Rachel because I read all of his run on Excalibur and never got that impression; but I've also read a lot of Uncanny X-Men from the 80s, and I was sure he was going for Kitty and Illyana.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

OK, fair point to Gambit, but Storm would probably just loving shank you. She kicked Cyclops' & Callisto's asses (the latter I think in a literal knife fight) without her powers as I recall.

Double-bladed lightsabers, I believe:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Is anybody else bothered by Magneto just passing out after dinner, without even getting his robot butler or whoever to clean up his mess? I mean, he might be a genocidal maniac, but I never thought the dude was a slob.

Cleaning up after yourself, like fuel, is for lesser men.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

What would be more interesting would be to look at other twists on this stuff. Mutant superfans. People trying to adopt a mutant identity ("I got an eleventh toe!").

The U-Men verged on that, but not quite.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure when exactly I dropped off Jay & Miles, nor why I did. I remember I used to comment in one of these threads that they were almost too positive about everything X-Men, which I realise is an odd attitude for me to take.

Remember that episode where they got that guy who used to produce the X-Men 92 cartoon and co-created X-Men: Evolution and Jay did a one-on-one interview with him? He was asked about his history with the X-Men and proceeded to recap their entire publication history (perhaps he thought Jay didn't have any context for it :v:) and then he kept pronounced "Claremont" as "Claremount".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Open Marriage Night posted:

I've only ever read the Amazing Spider-Man tie ins, which were pretty rad from what I remember. I'll keep an eye out for the New Mutants and Excalibur tie ins.

The Daredevil one is very good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Byrne once boasted that he stood up to Shooter in defence of Alex Saviuk in the middle of the office and the entire bullpen applauded.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think you can see Claremont improving consistently as his run progresses as well. I think there's a particular point just after the Brood Sag where he's clearly read Alan Moore's Captain Britain comics and even after nearly 100 issues on the book, consciously decided to try upping his game. I think that results in stuff like that one-off issue he did with Barry Windsor-Smith where Wolverine goes feral and fights the Reavers in Central Park during a snowstorm; that's not something I think you'd expect in a run that's been going for about eight years and 100 issues by then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

The worst thing Claremont ever did was when he came back to the X-Men and created the Neo.

Those and the Alan Davis stories immediately preceding them were my introduction to X-Men comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Haha you guys wanna hear about the time I bought a collection for work at the swimsuit specials were clearly well loved by the previous owner?

Pages stuck together, huh?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

Supposedly in ye olden times one of the duties of the Best Man (apart from fighting off suitors and warding away spirits) was that if the bride and groom didn't marry, the Best Man and Maid of Honour were to get married.

Presumably under the context of "well we have all this wedding stuff here. Someone had best get married."

For example:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As I've mentioned before, I was actually very surprised when Claremont said he viewed Kitty and Rachel as a couple because I never got that vibe, even from Excalibur (and I've read all of Claremont's run on Excalibur). I always assumed he was writing Kitty and Illyana as a couple based on how he wrote them in UXM and (to a lesser extent) New Mutants. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He tried this years ago with X-Men: The Hidden Years, didn't he?

Talked about how he wanted to retcon out Magneto's history as a Holocaust survivor, apparently just to spite Claremont.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Favourite Claremontism? "Ah'm nigh-invulnerable when ah'm blastin'!" ranks pretty high for me.

Was "Only my ruby-quartz visor can contain my optic blasts!" Claremont or was that from the Silver Age book?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I prefer Furmanisms over Claremontisms, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dawgstar posted:

This discussion is over. .. finished!

If Chris Claremont can cultivate a list of cheesy but beloved catchphrases... can I do less?!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dawgstar posted:

And they hang over you, like a vast, predatory bird...

This Furmanism-quoting is OVER... FINISHED!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How did we know that we were supposed to pronounce the "X" at the start of "Xavier" (i.e. "Ex-avier") before cartoons and so on? In real life I've only ever heard it pronounced as "Zavier" or sometimes as "Javier". If it's pronounced the way it is in the comics in real life, then you'll have to pardon my ignorance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

I assume the only time it's pronounced Ex-avier is in the cartoons and movies that feature Charles Xavier. I've never met a Xavier in real life, but I've met a couple of Xanders and it's alway pronounced Zander.

Sure, but what I mean is, would X-Men fans discussing the comic in the 70s or 80s before there was a cartoon or movies or anything be calling him "Professor Zavier" or did Marvel have things like editor's notes from Len Wein that said "Remember, true believers - 'Xavier' is pronounced 'Ex-avier'! Excelsior! - Laughin' Len."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's no way "Gambit Meyers" isn't the antagonist who's an old army rival to Chance Bordeaux (JCVD) from a lost Hard Target sequel from 1995 .

Possibly played by Dolph Lundgren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Scott Lobdell said her real name had been picked and the story where they were going to reveal it never ended up happening. He didn't say what it was but it was not Marie.

Turns out her name is actually Cher, so Gambit's just been addressing her by her real name all along.