Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Maybe it's just the fact that I started reading X-men during the weird Australian years, but I loved Quentin for the fact that when he tried to enter the Siege Perilous, it just spat him back out again.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Speaking of Quentin Quire, how old is he supposed to be, anyway?

I ask because he kissed Idie during the hellfire Academy arc, and she's 14, and i had him pegged closer to 18, so you know, creepy. Of course the same arc had her dressed in leather dominatrix gear.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Also, I guess he did spend several years as a being of pure energy, so that probably set him back some age-wise..

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Kalli posted:

You don't say.

Here's a chunk of that sequence minus the parts where you get flashbacks to Storm revealing she was raised as a thief:

I think the most crazy part of that sequence was Storm casually mentioning that she retained full photographic memories going back to infancy and had possessed full, object-permanence sapience even as a baby, or something similar. I think Claremont was setting Storm up to be revealed as an actual goddess or demi-goddess for a while there.

twistedmentat posted:

Naw, Peak Claremont is during Asgardian Wars when Amora captured Illyana, and uh...stuff happens.

http://imgur.com/a/rNSMO

I don't think this is where Magik became my favorite of the New Mutants, but I hope its not.
Didn't Kitty Pryde also get mystically reduced to infancy by a Japanese wizard during one of her Wolverine team-ups?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Bro that is peak X-Men and it fuckin' ROCKED.

I started reading X-men comics as a kid approximately six months before X-cutioner's song dropped, and let me tell you, it was the best and most 90's thing that ever happened. I ended up getting subscriptions (remember those?) to every single x-book just to folow it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

rkajdi posted:

I get that the 90s X-books has a rap for being very bad by the end, but the stuff from this era wasn't bad. It really didn't go off the rails until after Age of Apocalypse, and even then some of the stuff was very good (Generation X mostly)
Yeah, a lot of X-cutioner's song loses its punch after twenty years of Summers Family Tree related hijinx and seeing how much of it ended up fizzling out into pure poo poo. At the time, though "What the gently caress is Cable, what's his deal?" was THE question at the heart of X-men comics, to the point where you actually could successfully hang an entire cross-over event on it.

Basically, 90's X-men took Claremont's schtick of teasing out foreshadowing of upcoming events to the N-th level, but it didn't have Claremont's knack of actually paying anything off. So these days, we know that it's all sizzle, no steak, but at the time, it was pretty juicy sizzle.

Kalli posted:

The only part I remember from the X-Factor issues was when Wolfsbane mauled Feral, which led to the start of the mandated therapy issue which was pretty great.

That issue is still my favorite single issue comic that I own. Doesn't it also have the origin of Number One Fan?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Jedi posted:

Is it the same one that has Quicksilver explaining why he's always so pissed off? If so, also one of my favorites.
Pietro Maximoff Syndrome. The best.

rkajdi posted:

I think Number One Fan was in a different issue. This one was all in the heads of the characters. It's the ultimate talking heads issue, but I don't think you can really criticize it for the usual critiques that get lobbed at say Bendis.
In its defense, that book came out in ninteen-ninety-loving-three. We were a good seven years away from when Bendis was Bendis-ing all over a mainstream Marvel comic.

I dug Peter David' run out of my comic boxes a couple of years ago, and I was struck by A) how much more uneven it was than I had remembered, and B) how contemporary it felt in tone and pacing. It was really operating on a level of wry self-awareness that's basically become the new normal for internet-era comics.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

“Also, I’ve had the real Cyclops locked in my basement since literally the minute after Whedon’s run on Astonishing X-men. Peace out!”

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I've loved Quire ever since the Siege Perilous spat him back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Covok posted:

I found out Jason Aaron worked on the X-Men. I really like his work on Thor. How is Wolverine and the X-Men?
Wolverine and the X-men is the most fun X-men has been since Whedon's run. It really taps into the kind of wacky action + high school drama that the X-men had when they were going full steam back in the 80's.

It made me actually like Quentin Quire, for loving once.