Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, that read like an art error or just an oversight to me. Xavier only got the hover wheelchair around 1990, as Claremont's tenure on the book was ending.

Although it wasn't a gift from Lilandra - while I think it did use some Shi'ar technology, Forge built it for Xavier after the Moir Island debacle. But again, if Xavier knows Forge, that implies a whole drama with Storm and Rogue that's presumably yet to happen, so...

I guess you could argue that Moira knew about Charles' hover chair from him having used it in her previous lives, allowed him to pull knowledge of its design from her mind, and then they rocked up to Forge in his 80s role as government weapons tech, had him build it for Charles, then wiped his memory. That would be the No Prize answer, right?

Actually that raises an important point.

They said that a number of geniuses mutants collaborated on a project to build computer Al-Gore-Rhythms to track for things that would be used to build Nimrods.

Maybe Xaiver and Magneto approached Forge about helping to build that program and also asked him to build that wheel chair as a side project.
Maybe when they went to visit Mr. Sinister, they had previously visited a number of other mutants years before they were supposed to officially meet them and put them to work on something else.

BTW another thing I noticed that no one has mentioned. If you look at House of X #3 when the Blackbird is flying past the moon, I think you can see a city enclosed on the Moon.
Maybe the reason no human nation has found Krakoa island is because it is not on Earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

My favourite part of the issue.
We can create mutant bodies and bring them back. And even make them optimum bodies. Everyone can be at their peak age, in bodies that aren't damaged.
Except you Scott. We are keeping you with that brain injury that prevents you from controlling your powers. It builds character.

Edge & Christian posted:

Proteus has come back/kind of come back a bunch of times between the original story and now.

He was brought back by a conspiracy between puppetmasters Gideon and Toad in the 1990s "Kings of Pain" annual crossover, but convinced to kill himself.
Then he almost came back in Excalibur when Mister Sinister tried to clone him, but he didn't actually bring him back but it established his energy/soul was still out there and could be cloned, I guess?
Then Proteus came back in Exiles and I think he was supposed to be The Real Proteus or something, but eventually got written out.
Then he came back as part of the Necrosha crossover in Mike Carey's X-Men Legacy.
Then he came back in the aforementioned Charles Soule Astonishing X-Men.
And now he's back again.

Also the original plan for Joseph when he showed up way back in the late 90's was he was supposed to be Proteus who had created a new body and given himself Magneto's powers (to protect himself from his weakness, metal.) but had forgotten who he was. Hench why Magneto referred to him as an abomination and why he had such unbridled hatred (for reasons he didn't understand) when he looked at Moria Mactarget.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Where is this from? I've always heard he was just supposed to be an amnesiac Magneto so they could reset some of the more "genocidal old rear end in a top hat" bits that Morrison would later point out. Magneto would probably be kind of upset to see a clone of himself wandering around, and Magneto (or a semi-amnesiac clone) of him was pretty pissed at Moira in that time period too.

I know it was a theory I heard thrown around in the Wizard days of comics. And I think I read it being confirmed in some internet interview in mid 2000's.
I can't find it on a Google search. But I did find out that Proteus dad is Joseph McTagert, which might explain why he selects that name.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The other big thing from the last issue, for me at least was the notion that Synch is now alive.
One crappy Gen-X death undone. Let's hope they bring Skin back too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Even more pressing, what exactly can they do if someone invades? The gateways themselves we saw can be blocked but it's still an island accessible by ships, planes, and Sentinels. I guess that's what X-Force (and maybe Marauders) will explore?

EDIT: I guess it would be funny to have an entire spinoff just about the mundane details about setting up your own nation. "In this week's exciting issue, Xavier has a lot of meetings about getting an undersea Internet cable hooked up to Krakoa! What top-level domain name will he pick? Stay tuned, true believers!"

Well so far they have said that no intelligence agency has been able to locate Krakoa.
And looking at the art in issue 3, it looks like that is because Krakoa is on the Moon.
So it's probably safe from invasion. Might make it a bit poo poo for internet hookups.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

danbanana posted:

Why? They let a cyborg dude with spring legs compete in the 2012 Olympics.

And just like most cyborgs, he went bad and murdered his girlfriend! Sounds like Krakoans would fit right in!

(Side note: "Pistorius has been the subject of criticism because of claims that his artificial limbs give him an advantage over runners with natural ankles and feet." is my new favorite sentence on Wikipedia.)

That reminds me of when I was finishing law school in 2013. Our South Africian classmate had a great limerick for Valentine's Day 2013.

Rose Are Red
Violates Are Glorious.
No One Breaks Up
With Oscar Pistorius.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

What I took from the scene is the audience should be uneasy at what they see.

Sabertooth is put on trial, but it's a show trial.
The "crime" he is convicted of litteraly didn't exist until two minutes before they passed sentence.
No attempt is made to examine his actions or contextualize them.
Nobody is there to even ask "the guy we know has a broken brain, problem with authority and whose power is claws for hands. When we sent him in on a non-lethal mission, did we foresee this as a possibility?"
No option for rehabilitation is discussed for the guy who had been magically alignment changed into being a not rear end in a top hat for a few years.

Sentence is just passed, probably more as an example to others than because they felt Victor had gone too far this time.

And yeah a lot of it will get hand waved as "Victor is a bad guy, he deserves it."
However that is always how it starts. "Yes we have eroded the rule of law. But we only will use it on bad guys."

Just remember this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDBiLT3LASk

Also I found it hilarious that you have three literal 1%ers decide that "we need to make a new society. An enlightened one. Not make the mistakes of the old one.
But those humans had the right idea about capitalism. More money for us."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

danbanana posted:

And obviously given his newfound belief system, it makes sense why he isn't giving humanity immortality. But if you're basing one of your laws the the mortality of humans, you know that's bullshit.

On one level it makes sense. What happened to mutant kind is so many kinds of awful. And space is limited.
On the other hand, if I lived in the MU and Charles Xavier told me that yes he has a magical resurrection machine, but no my daughter isn't getting brought back to life because her genome isn't special enough.

Then I would probably a mutant genocide machinel that would make Nimrod look like a Go-Bot.

Aphrodite posted:

Also their big show of making an example out of him... is not seen by anyone else.

Cypher saw it. He will spread around the word of what happened.

After all, he talks to everyone. :dadjoke:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

Where everyone knows your DNA.

What's even best is his Cheer's opening sequence was done over this Victorian artwork of a pub. Which is in keeping with Mr. Sinister's Victorian aesthetics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS0VQOHX7lM

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Skwirl posted:

It does mess with stuff like the fact Nightcrawler was literally in heaven after dying and came back once before.

Or does it?

Nightcrawler has been a man of faith, who never let himself fall prey to hatred or wrath. And was rewarded by going to Heaven.
He has seen what lies beyond the pearly gates.

And now that he has been banned from there, he has decided to spend all his life having orgies on an island with his best friends and mother present.
What else is a mutant with two dicks to do?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Billzasilver posted:

One thing about post-humans vs mutants. I can’t think of any super humans who have reality bending powers (except scarlet witch lol) and other weird Omega-level powers.

Mutants ended up with Legion, Proteus, and even Franklin Richards. And I doubt a genetic engineer could ever recreate crazy stuff like Storm’s weather manipulation powers or Goldballs egg production. Maybe some of the really out-there origin stories like for humans Molecule Man and Graviton are comparable...?

Edit: Now, Moira has revealed that she created two of those reality benders by combining the X-gene with genetic engineering, which adds another wrinkle.

The interesting thing is for all the talk about how mutants are outdated and a dead end, ignores the fact that Franklin Richard's lives to the end of the universe with his pal Galactus.

I'd say it is probably important for the story that the mutants who all band together in their own society end up stuck in an intergalactic zoo.
While the mutant who lives with his human(ish) family and other human friends becomes a central figure of the Universe.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Hm.

Cable/X-Men: Have Jean's powers, but not Cyclops's.

I swear that at one point in the 90's the idea was Cable's mutant power was that he had Jean Grey's telepathy/telekinesis.

But unlike a regular telepath who gets their power from, I don't know, the Astral Plane?

INSTEAD Cable got his powers from the Sun. Because Cyclops eye beams were thought of as being solar powered*.
And obviously being a solar powered telepath makes him more powerful than a normal telepath. For reasons.
Comics.

This is something that doesn't show up because it is so very dumb.

*= I have to assume that's something to do with the episode of the X-Men comic with the Morlocks set in the sewers where Cyclops loses his powers by being underground too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Also this

1. Good ol' fashioned fuckin'
2. Egg resurrection?
3. Sinister gene pits?
4. ?

Having the Phoenix make people into mutants?
I'm sure there have been other scientific devices that turned people into mutants.

Speaking of Phoenix....technically the most famous time that outfit was worn (at the end of the Dark Phoenix saga) wasnt by Jean. But by a Phoenix clone.

So clones of the Phoenix running around thinking they are Jean Grey.