Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

pubic works project posted:

Oh okay. I quit reading Ultimate X-Men around Volume 5 or 6 of the collected editions. Didn't know he had a kid, let alone one with the same adamantium skeleton/claws he has.
He's got claws, but are they adamantium? Good question!

Jeph Loeb, folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

They've been intermittent Spider-Man supporting characters for the past five years or so. They were formally no-takebacks declared not mutants, Cloak cheated on Dagger with an old neighborhood friend who turned out to be a supervillain, Nick Spencer wrote a lovely series about them getting evicted from their abandoned church in the middle of Times Square and Mister Negative swapping their powers to avert a prophecy where Dagger killed him.

Then Mister Negative got them both hooked on drugs again so they'd work as his henchmen.

So yeah, pretty much any revamp/replacement would be a step up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

RandallODim posted:

Boy it must be awkward hanging out with them all again.
That was in fact the plot of the first arcs of the series Old Man Logan, yes. Lemire did a good job with the character and differentiating him from "a story where we color Wolverine's hair gray" and I don't generally like Ed Brisson but his arc is at least definitely an Old Man Logan story, not a Wolverine story.

Most/all of his appearances in team books might as well just be a hair color swap for Wolverine though, yeah.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

You’re all some lovely X-Men fans if you aren’t singing the praises of Grand Design.
Sing it, lest you are lovely fan hoisted on your own lovely fan petard.

I have never fully gotten the appeal of Ed Piskor's tone/content but I have also never been a super fan of the X-Men either so I guess I might just be a real piece of poo poo for not liking the same stuff that you like, sell me on why I am a lovely piece of poo poo scumbag please. I am afraid your post did not fully explain the value and appeal of Grand Design is a way that I, a lovely poo poo person, can fully appreciate.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The best (but ultimately inessential) use of the Original Time Displaced X-Men was the Dennis Hopeless run, which paired them with Idie and Evan and X-23 in a comic that was basically about the world telling a bunch of teenagers that This Is How Your Life is Destined To Turn Out and then following those teenagers as they cope with the destiny that their 'family'/'society'/'etc' is trying to push/force them towards.

The fact that it's just a blip in the radar between whatever the hell Bendis was hoping to do with them and the way less interesting current "you're from another timeline/universe! You're kind of like uhh... Ultimate 2099 Mutant X Exiles uhhhhhhhhh we sure do have a lot of alternate realities!" means that it is more or less meaningless to the grand scheme of things, but it was the best possible take for the characters once you've accepted that they're there.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Larocca's level of tolerable art depends entirely on how much photo reference he decides to use. He can do a good job without photo reference (or at least drawing/sketching over it enough so it's not immediately obvious that he's just tracing Harrison Ford for Han Solo or most confusingly Sawyer from Lost for Iron Man after the movie came out) but he's done that less and less in the past decade.

EDIT: Though I guess he is in that cover, which I assumed at first glance was Joe Quesada with a mediocre-to-bad ink job.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It was cut short and riddled with crossovers by [insert everything wrong about Marvel editorial in the 2010s] but I really liked the hook/overall feel of Dennis Hopeless and Mark Bagley [and a bunch of fill-in artists]'s All New X-Men using the time-displaced teenagers.

It was after Secret Wars and the basic pitch was that they all ditched the entire X-Men crew because they recognized it as a shitshow and rebelling against what they saw their 'future'/present lives devolving into, whether it's being cast as a villain or morally compromised or brainwashed or dead. They were joined by Laura and Evan Sabah Nur/Kid Apocalypse, two other people not entirely thrilled with what they'd been told their Destiny was, plus Idie Okonkwo who had the whole "raised really strictly Catholic and was convinced for awhile she was possessed by Satan because of her mutant powers". The subtext was a bunch of teenagers roadtripping around rebelling desperately against the idea of turning into their parents/adult selves. Plus in terms of recycling concepts it had a fun initial trend of revisiting *early* X-Men villains (Toad, Blob, etc.) to contribute to the "what the gently caress happened when everyone grew up?" vibe.

It never got the room to breathe that Hopeless's run on Spider-Woman did, it had the potential. That alone almost made me willing to believe that the whole "bringing in the original five X-Men as teenagers" wasn't a bad idea, but Bendis didn't really do much with it and Hopeless's run was basically "six issues of solid set-up, then the shoehorned Apocalypse Wars semi-crossover, then four issues, then Inhumans vs. X-Men, then a wrap-up issue.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I thought Brisson's Old Man Logan had a few bright spots; I actually think of Glob as his pet character since he slotted him into the "sidekick/surrogate child" role for Logan that is normally reserved for Kitty/Jubilee/etc. throughout the run. He did some fun stuff with Bullseye, I'm remembering specifically luring Logan into a Whole Foods and then throwing essential oils and stuff at his face to completely overwhelm his tracking sense. But overall, nothing he's done has really grabbed me or established him as a clear voice I want to follow from book to book, I mainly kept reading Old Man Logan due to inertia from Lemire's run.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

In the same way that Marvel Comics Editorial (and Marvel Studios Doing Movies / Marvel Studios Doing Television, at least previously) are separate semi-autonomous groups within Disney/Marvel, so too is Marvel Licensing, which may well also be separate semi-autonomous groups.

Not having the X-Men or Fantastic Four in video games or on t-shirts is not a decision made by Axel Alonso or Akira Yoshida or Jordan White or whomever, and I think the point people are making is that decisions/actions taken in one branch being cross-applied to other branches is a deeply imperfect lens.

Even the whole "oh look, they straight up canceled Fantastic Four!" thing, which was almost definitely guided by The Powers That Be, still meant that in 2015 the giant crossover event that took over literally their entire publishing schedule was at its core a Fantastic Four story, and spinning out of that they were publishing monthly comics starring Doctor Doom and half of the Fantastic Four, and the fact that The Rest of the FF Were "Dead" was a plot point across a bunch of books and not just something they memory holed.

Thor was dead and didn't have a book for a couple of years back circa 2005-2007 and they had the rights to make Thor movies and everything. I get that everyone wants to be cynical and inside baseball but people are reading tea leaves and taking things to [Adam-X] THE EXTREME.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Cabbit posted:

I'm finding it a little hard to believe that Disney just winds up all it's little bits and pieces of Marvel and sends them off on their merry way, with no though to how those pieces might interact. It's entirely believable that they're autonomous from each other-- editorial isn't telling licensing anything, licensing isn't directing studios, etc-- but the idea that Disney, of all companies, is not laying out at least some kind of broad overall direction for them with an eye towards making money seems like a bridge too far.
I did not mean to say that, I more meant that the past 5+ years have been a series of

[No X-Men in video game]
"Pretty soon they won't be publishing any more X-Men books! Look at the video games!"
[No Fantastic Four in action figure line]
"For all we know in a few months they won't even be able to MENTION the Thing in a comic book!"
[X-Men edited off of a t-shirt]
"First they came for the t-shirts, what do you bet there are just no X-Men books after Secret Wars???"
[Wolverine not included in a cartoon]
"Okay okay okay this is the moment where they just straight up stop publishing X-Men comics, obviously"

I don't doubt The Big Wigs At Disney issued edicts to all of the different departments about How To Do Things, but I also think that they're issuing different edicts to each of them. Disney has owned Marvel for almost a decade now, and a drumbeat of "they're going to minimize/eliminate [Fantastic Four/X-Men/Spider-Man/anything they do not have the film rights to] from the comics" has been going on with very few clear effects in the comic books aside from the perception that the Inhumans push was to minimize the X-Men (it did not appear to be) and the Fantastic Four not having a comic for about three years (or about two years if you consider that there were zero regular ongoing series during Secret Wars). To expect an even heavier hand to be suddenly applied for no reason other than pointing to a different division seems odd.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Rob Liefeld was also saying very directly "there's a bigger budget for X-Men comics because of the movie rights now."
In that quote Rob Liefeld is either talking really inexactly or out of his rear end. While it's true that the first X-Men movie is (nearly) twenty years old, Disney's owned Marvel for less than half of that time, and Liefeld's done an extremely limited amount of work for the X-Office in the past twenty years. I can see why he's personally getting more money in 2018 (for a standalone graphic novel that they cross-promoted with Deadpool 2) than he ever did since the good old days of polybags and 501 circa 1992. If anything, given that (setting aside anyone arguing about relative talents aside) the X-Men braintrust right now is a bunch of relatively new/low profile writers and artists as opposed to the early 2000s when they were putting Morrison/Rucka/Milligan/etc. on X-Books, or even the post-Disney-buyout combination of Aaron, Fraction, Gillen and Bendis doing the main X-book along with commensurately big artists (and Greg Land) makes me wonder about where Liefeld is pulling all of this from.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Android Blues posted:

Yeah. And Jean stayed dead for a long time (six years), and there were very few cynical fans thinking, "alright, but when's she coming back?". Scott and Madelyne were married for a long time, too (three years where they were actually together, three more where they were still married but separated by circumstance while Cyclops was canoodling with Jean). Madelyne spent 1983 - 1989 being a member of the X-Men's supporting cast, who got her own subplots and stuff, before being retconned into an evil clone.
I'm not really sure how to quantify "very few fans thinking she'd be coming back", since it was almost immediately revealed in the fan press of the time that Jean/Phoenix dying was an editorial edict from Jim Shooter, not Claremont or Byrne's idea. "We had to kill her" is a different beast than "we killed her as a narrative trick" but they both end with "okay so how is she coming back?"

Given that four issues after Jean "died" Claremont and Byrne introduced Rachel Summers, Jean and Scott's kid from the future, it wasn't as if they weren't teasing her coming back somehow within a few months. There were other teases/fakeouts, from introducing Madeline Pryor to your standard "[someone impersonating] Dark Phoenix is Back!" covers, but yeah, she did stay dead for six years and Cyclops was in a relationship with Madeline for six years.

After Morrison's run on X-Men ended, Jean stayed dead for fourteen years (2003-2017) and Cyclops was in a relationship with Emma Frost for nearly as long, which I guess speaks more to cynical fans/a pattern developing in the past four decades, considering that both of these status quo changes lasted for twice as long as any of the original Claremont-era stuff.

Skwirl posted:

I sometimes wonder what X-Men would look like today if they stuck with the original idea of Jean staying dead and Scott marrying Madelyne Pryor and mostly retiring. Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't death much more permanent for characters at the time? Like they'd have fake-outs, but they were almost always resolved within that issue or early in the next one, if someone was dead for more than one issue they mostly stayed dead
It really depends on what you mean by "at the time", because there weren't many significant character deaths of note in those days aside from ones baked into the primary/secondary origins of characters (Uncle Ben, Bucky, Thomas and Martha Wayne, etc). I guess the most significant deaths prior to Uncanny 138 were:

Captain Marvel - got an entire graphic novel dedicated to it, in part because they wanted to introduce a new Captain Marvel and Jim Shooter hated the idea of two characters having the same name
Thanos/Warlock/etc. - Jim Starlin 'finished' their story because he was leaving Marvel and didn't want anyone to mess with them, essentially
Professor Xavier - 'died' in X-Men #42 (1968) and revealed after the fact to be alive in #65 (1970) which might be Marvel's first semi-long-term fakeout death, which probably wasn't actually planned given that X-Men went through like four writers in that two year span.
Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborn

Everyone else is on the order of The Swordsman or Doctor Destiny or whatever. And there would be a lot of weird workarounds while people seemed to consider whether or not to keep people dead, whether it's clones of Gwen Stacy or Norman Osborn's psychologist(?) dressing up as the Green Goblin or Madeline Pryor or a lot of dream sequence issues or whatever else.

The big thing at play here is that "back then" the Marvel Universe (and DC treating their books as a 'universe') were both only a couple of decades old so there wasn't an incredible amount of precedent or track record. Now that it's almost triple that size of a sample, it distorts the length and frequency of things, as does nostalgia and the time of the reader's life and everything else. Just because it bears repeating, the very recent "Jean is dead and Scott's taken a new lover" status quo of the 2000s-2010s lasted for over twice as long as the original 1980s status quo.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Age of X-Man essentially being Nate Grey's neuroses (he was born out of a test tube and has had difficult-at-best relationships with his 'blood' relatives, his first serious romantic relationship was with an evil clone of his 'mom', then whatever the gently caress Threnody was, etc) used to create a Utopia where everyone is born out of test tubes and no one is allowed to kiss or have sex or get married is actually more interesting than the past dozen alternate reality timelines at least.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Hot Claws appear to be a plotpoint in Charles Soule's Return of Wolverine storyline, which should have been finished by the time this issue of Uncanny came out, but wasn't. I assume there is some weird creative/editorial wrangling going on with Wolverine, since he was originally pitched/featured as part of Duggan's Rebirth/Infinity Stones/Infinity Wars stuff, then written out of that, then brought back into it in a forthcoming mini-series.

The Hunt for Wolverine stuff was tacked-on reverse-engineered bloat the likes of which we haven't seen since Countdown to Final Crisis. Four books, none of them written by the person actually bringing Wolverine back, all of them either not really tying into the the thing they're 'building to' or kind of weirdly blunting the impact/contradicting it.

I have no idea what the behind the scenes decisions were, but the timeline of Wolverine's return as presented to readers in chronological order:

1) Wolverine's back, he remembers everything, and he's got an Infinity Stone!
2) Wolverine's back, he gave up the Infinity Stone because he's got bigger fish to fry!
3) Maybe Wolverine isn't back at all and it's just some imposters and mistaken identities?
4) Wait no, he's back but he just now came back and has amnesia and hot claws.
5) The amnesiac/hot claws storyline is delayed so gently caress it, he's got his memory back and is in the X-Men again.

There's also no announcement/solicitation about an ongoing Wolverine book coming out after the Return of Wolverine mini-series, which was supposed to be over last month so there's a pretty big gap there that might be because of Plans Changing too.

Having read the first 80% of the Return of Wolverine mini-series I don't really 'get' what is interesting/compelling about the antagonist but maybe I will turn around on her in the final issue and part of that will be an explanation as to why he's got Hot Claws now, but even though I just insulted the villain of the book I think Soule is doing a solid job doing a sort of bookend to his Death of Wolverine series and 90% of why it is getting a poor/small reception is because it's surrounded by all of the dumb shifting sands described above.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 11, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Yeah, it was probably not as fraught with miscommunication as the Wolverine/Final Crisis stuff I just described, but given the relatively clean division between X-Men Disassembled writers (Ed Brisson, Kelly Thompson, Matthew Rosenberg) and Age of X-Man writers (Lonnie Nadler, Zac Thompson, Seanan McGuire, Leah Williams, Vita Ayala, Tim Seeley, and Brisson again) this might be a case of a mediocre-to-bad story carrying water/reverse-engineered to set up what is so far a much more interesting and well told story.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I'm not sure if there's a good way to directly address the elephant in the room for comic book death.

If you talk about it too much in context you get bizarre things like Identity Crisis or Blackest Night (and to a lesser extent, Heroes in Crisis) where you have a bunch of people simultaneously talking about how sure, we've all come back from the dead, but this one is different, somehow. Remember when Superman died? That was bad, but somehow this one feels even worse. Let me go tell Superman just how bad it is.

There's also the subgenre (52, Peter David X-Factor, One More Day, etc.) where you have the grieving character going nuts thinking that their loved one will come back from the dead, but people just don't come back from the dead, says the character who has definitely come back from the dead to their friend who also has come back from the dead.

But yeah if you don't mention how everyone has come back from the dead, people will be upset that the characters are stupid to not realize people come back from the dead.

My least favorite interpretation of this is the whole "Heroes Don't Kill, Because They Know If They Kill A Bad Guy They Might Just Come Back More Powerful Than Ever, Better To Put Them in Jail". Cool, so what's wrong with murder then? This sort of "push the hero to the edge" story almost always involves a villain killing a good person, but shouldn't the narrative at least be "why would I be mad at you for killing my partner, Kingpin? They're going to be even more powerful when they come back from the dead!"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

He was part of the first DC New Talent Workshop in 2016 (along with Vita Ayala and Joelle Jones and some other people) and I have no idea of the mechanics, but pretty much all of them ended up getting a lot of writing gigs with everyone *but* DC in the ensuing years.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

In an extremely confusing move, it's Amy Haller from the Legion TV show.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Looking at the July solicitations, it really seems like maybe they're wrapping everything up for some sort of soft (or hard) relaunch parallel to/after the Hickman stuff.

- Age of X-Man is ending without any obvious "and here's what is spinning out of this event" books

- Uncanny X-Men's solicitation reads

quote:

As Cyclops’ cleanup mission nears its close, all the problems the X-Men face come together. The truth behind the Hellfire Club’s intentions, the culmination of the O.N.E.’s assaults on mutantkind and even the inner struggles within the team... It all ends here. This is forever.

-X-Force's reads

quote:

With Rachel Summers under his control, Stryfe and his Mutant Liberation Front finally have the power to secure their futures – at the cost of everyone else’s. Will Cable and his X-Force be able to stop them, or will the time stream be forever altered? Find out in this final showdown!
With a pretty "last issue" style cover:

Even Deadpool sounds kind of like a wrap-up of Skottie Young's run.

So maybe Rosenberg just got an extra month or so to wrap up his storylines and bring everyone back because hey it's not like anything else he's doing feels permanent or important and he reversed the techno-organic virus thing he introduced almost immediately, why not also bring Rahne back too?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Has Sunspot been in anything since Ewing's various Avengers books?
It looks like he's going to be in War of the Realms: X-Men, and he's listed among the incredibly long list of dead people rattled off at Rahne's funeral in this week's Uncanny X-Men.

Though to be fair, most of that list of dead people at Rahne's funeral are people who are 'dead' (disappeared by X-Man/Legion, in the Age of X-Man).
Though to be even more fair, Sunspot's not in any of the sloppy group fight scenes in X-Men Disassembled. And is apparently in War of the Realms, which takes place before Rahne's funeral since she's alive during War of the Realms.
Though to be the fairest of them all, "Roberto" could be referring to the current Ghost Rider, The Battling Bantam, or anyone else named "Roberto" that Rahne and "Sam" were close to and are now dead.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Since we're talking about cool things cool writers did to Rahne/other New Mutants, remember in Secret Empire (or at least Cullen Bunn tie-in issues) where Rahne got the secondary mutation that she can turn from a human into a werewolf into a wolf into five smaller wolves? Because that's something that happened.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

If only there was the technology for a company to build their own sort of... I dunno, hypertext document that could be collaboratively updated to track characters' appearances and plotpoints. Some sort of... Wiki?

Or you could look characters up in Wikis that already exist, which is how I remembered Wolfsbane got that secondary mutation. Both of these seem pretty hard though!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

NYX was not good. I'm not even sure who it was for.
It's a weird journey that got us to the NYX that got published.

It was originally unofficially announced as an early MAX title by Brian Wood and David Choe, but for various reasons it never came out, possibly because the idea of "street level, struggling Lower East side mutants" somehow transmogrified in the pitch into:

quote:

he took one look at the character sheets, read that Gambit had been assraped in Prison, that rogue becomes goth after eatingtouching) a an arbie’s prime rib sandwhich and has to go vegetarian after that, with her stalking and spying on people having sex and her huge dildo collection because, she’s not allowed to touch. You read that and ran with your tail between your legs you pussy. Which I guess makes him more of a cocksucker than a pussy. But it’s still earlyinto the millenium, he could start sucking that cock anyday now.
I think there was going to be a whole plotline about Jubilee getting hooked on heroin and getting into prostitution, though that no longer comes up in any of the documents/interviews I can find from the time.

The summary above is from David Choe's "Open Letter to Joe Quesada", which was hailed as a revolutionary triumph over on the Warren Ellis Forums that someone finally had the bravery to point out that Joe Quesada is a latent human being and Mark Bagely is a bitch and everyone at Marvel are dick eating pussies who eat dicks.

Quesada kept insisting that this was just a proposal that they asked Wood/Choe to put together, and that the idea was something that he and Jemas had been kicking around since they first talked about expanding the Ultimate line past Spider-Man and the 'traditional' X-Men book, then revisited when doing the linewide relaunch around Morrison's New X-Men (and went with Milligan/Allred's "Celebrity X-Men" pitch for X-Force instead), but Wood and Choe (and various WEF people) kept eyerolling and scoffing and insisting the book was greenlit and Joe Quesada was too much of a pussy rear end feminine homosexual to allow such raw badass realness to be published.

Eventually, regardless of who was telling the truth, the Quesada/Middleton NYX got announced kind of as proof that this was an idea they'd been kicking around independent of Wood/Choe. No one inclined to believe Wood believed this, Wood claims he took all of his plans for NYX and used them in DEMO, David Choe went off to get arrested in Japan and paint murals for Facebook and do a podcast where he tells funny rape stories or something. NYX eventually came out, but took nearly two years to hit its seventh issue, and Middleton only drew the first four.

So yeah, this is who NYX is for, whoever went through all of this and came out the other side going "we definitely need to make comics about this whole thing".

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 6, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Astonishing X-Men went:

#1-24: Whedon/Cassaday but it took like four years to get 24 issues out
#25-32: Warren Ellis also with delays
#36-37: Daniel Way/Jason Pearson
#38 - Christos N Gage/Juan Bobillo fill-in
#39: Way/Pearson
#40: Gage/Bobillo fill-in part 2
#41: Way/Pearson
#42: Gage/Bobillo fill-in part 3
#43: James Asmus one-shot
#44-47: Greg Pak/Mike McKone
#48-56: Marjorie Liu/Mike Perkins (where Northstar gets married in 51)
#57-68: Marjoie Liu and like ten different artists

It wasn't really an anthology book like X-Men Unlimited, though for a minute there between the Ellis and Liu runs it kind of looked like the old Legends of the Dark Knight book (or a few other variations that have happened through the decades) where a creative team would come in to to a 3-6 issue story and out, but even that didn't really work out/last long. Also with all books done like that at Marvel or DC, they launch with some big creator names and slowly devolve into some inventory story that Scott Lobdell and Jim Califiore banged out one week six years ago.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

My understanding is that pretty much all of the current slate of X-Books were conceived/launched knowing that they had a set number of months/issues of runway before the Hickman takeover, and that many/most of the creators working on the X-Men books right now are involved in whatever spins out of the Hickman books, and that there's been communication about all three phases of comics, so there's hope that this won't be some sort of Countdown/Final Crisis/Everything After Final Crisis scenario where no one really knows what the other people are doing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

davebo posted:

You said "duration of HoX/PoX". Is it only a mini? Or just more titles that run for a year and a half and end abruptly like every other X-Men book lately?
HoX/PoX are both six issue mini-series running biweekly from July to presumably early October. It's been described as "Phase One" of Hickman's X-Men plans, and it seems like he's been working with [other writers, presumably many of the ones currently working on X-Books] to coordinate the launch of Phase Two, which includes (I believe) one book written by Hickman (possibly twice monthly, possibly two books, I can't remember if anything is confirmed) and then however many books written by other people.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

You just shouldn't kill off a half dozen moderately popular characters for no apparent loving reason.
Haha, a half dozen? I guess you could argue who counts as moderately popular, but the death count for Rosenberg's Uncanny run currently sits at:

1. Sunspot
2. Wolfsbane
3. Havok
4. Madrox
5. Strong Guy
6. Banshee
7. Vanisher
8. Joseph
9. Dark Beast
10. Fabian Cortez
11. Chamber
12. Blindfold
13. Triage
14. Velocidad

Plus basically all of the Morlocks, and on the asterisk level Warlock, all of the Marauders minus Sabretooth, Magik is a un-mutant demon, Juggernaut is depowered in Hell, and I feel like some other c-list villains (the Reavers?) turned up dead at some point too.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'd buy that if I didn't know some of the people working on AoXM books learned about Hickman's big push when they read about it on CBR.

People vastly overestimate the amount of communication and oversight that happens behind the scenes in the comics industry.
I think people vastly underestimate it too sometimes.

There's always talk about how Bendis railroaded poo poo through without saying poo poo to anyone and just loving their plans up in the most spite-filled wrecking ball way, but the victims of Bendis's spiteful grudgefucking are frequently the same writers he regularly has lunch with and plays online video games with and teaches college classes with and sometimes is co-writing books with, outside of any sort of regular creative summit/meetings/etc. It's possible he talks about these things with them beforehand, but we may never know until he dies and everyone reveals that he's a psychotic monster.

A number of the AoXM people have talked about being in meetings with Hickman to plan the second phase of his X-Men revamp, but it's also possible he isn't telling them loving poo poo and demanding they go pound sand because he's a power mad sociopath, we may never know. Even if they get books announced today, it could be an elaborate ruse to cover up Hickman's (or Jordan White's) crimes.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 20, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Kwannon shows up in Rosenberg's X-Men, beheads Joseph, tells Wolverine in Japanese that she's joining the team, tags along with him in the next issue to kill some of Rahne's murderers, then fights some government agents with him. Wolverine quits the team an issue or two later and I can't remember if she leaves with him or just leaves because he left.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It was a controversial comic and effectively a joke answer, partially because its creators (Tom King and Mitch Gerads) had a panel the day before Hickman's that spent a lot of time lamenting how much everyone hated that issue and how gently caress you, actually it was very good.

quote:

People loving hated it so much. I’d never written something everyone hated, so that was a new experience. I loved [Heroes in Crisis]. The art is beautiful and I got across the message that I wanted to get across which is that we’re all suffering and none of us are alone.

quote:

If someone says that they hate something, it means that someone else loves it. When bad things happen to characters, it’s earned, in a way.
Though I guess it was a time travel story that didn't really make any sense at its core, so I guess it might have been on-topic.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

X-O posted:

Uh, what?
This is a pretty common refrain for people who create things everyone hates, and Tom King has really leaned hard on it in the past few months.

quote:

Mister Miracle went through hell, but now everybody knows who Mister Miracle is, right? Same with Vision, I put him through hell. I had him almost turn into absolute evil, but it elevated that character a little bit, and now they're doing the TV show which, you know, had something to do with my stuff. So, hopefully people will see at the end of the day, we're doing the same thing with Wally. Wally hasn't had a successful solo comic since, when? 2003? What I'm saying is, the idea behind this is to elevate that character. Everyone is now talking about Wally. Everyone wants to see where Wally goes next. Everyone wants Wally to get the attention that that character deserves.
"People care and people are talking about it, I must be doing something right!"

The Question IRL posted:

I thought that part of the joke was how Heroes in Crisis was originally scheduled as a seven issue series. (They added an extra issue in the end.)
So it was like saying “The answer to this story beat will be in a comic that doesn’t come out.”
It went from six to seven to nine, if I recall.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Jiro posted:

If anyone can pull off a badass Onslaught reveal it would be Hickman.

And yet he's opting instead to bring back Don Slaught

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Jiro posted:

How long have you been holding on to that one??? And if Hickman knows anything about baseball it'll be the version of Slaught that played for the Pittsburgh Pirates. According to Baseball Reference because I didn't think anyone could have that name in real life
I hadn't thought of the man in decades, and then the other day my brother and I were reminiscing about working so hard and getting so excited to get cards/autographed by MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS at games in the late 80s/early 90s. We couldn't remember if Don Slaught or Rick Cerone (two mustachioed Yankees who started in back to back seasons) was one of the guys we were heartbroken to have missed out on getting a signature from. I didn't even make the connection about his name until this thread, but that is why his name was floating through my head.

I do not blame myself for this confusion:

Anyway this is all on topic because the X-Men would play softball a lot in this timeframe. They probably had a better catcher than the Yankees did in the late 80s/early 90s.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Has Evan been "all grown up" outside of some alternate futures and whatever whammy got reversed during AXIS? Evan is/was still a young teen going by Genesis prior to Hickman's timejump/status quo shift, and was a main character in Hopeless's All-New X-Men which is well after AXIS.

He was also part of the cattle call group of X-Men that tried to stop Nate Grey, and was trapped inside Age of X-Man for the past several months of comics, and presumably comes back with everyone else, though he's not shown doing so (but neither are dozens of characters).

The biggest tell that Apocalypse and Evan are still going to be two separate characters in Hickman's run is that Genesis is on Hickman's big board of characters for the X-Men title, and Apocalypse is in Excalibur.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

What's the cypher at the end translate to? I can't seem to find a translation guide online. just the stuff with the translated titles from right before Comic-con.
PoX #2: THE CURIOUS CASE OF MOIRA X
HoX #2: HELLO OLD FRIEND

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Transistor Rhythm posted:

“Octopusheim” as Jay and Miles call it. It’s one of my favorite weird little nonsensical silver age things. It just pops up out of the sea one day and Magneto’s like “huh, guess I’ll make it my home.”
Magneto's got a thing for islands, from X-Men #4 where he reveals an island lair for the first incarnation of the Brotherhood all the way up to him running Genosha in the 1990s. Him finding an abandoned Lemurian(?) island

It made as much sense as anything else from his pre-Claremont era, which was:

• Overthrow an island nation off South America and install the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants as its rulers
  • Get deposed, build a space station as a new lair
  • Get blown up in the space station, survive, try to recruit Thor into the Brotherhood
  • Try to recruit Namor and use Atlantis as his new Mutant Empire
  • Get kidnapped by aliens who wanted to study him, return to Earth, hold the UN hostage until mutants are given a country
  • Try to start his own island nation when the UN won't play
  • Seemingly die when the island sinks, instead find some underwater tunnels that take him to the Savage Land where he finds some machines that can make mutants
  • Have his Savage Land castle collapse on him, get resurrected by the radiation in his mutant-making-machines
  • Mind controls the Avengers and X-Men into helping him build atomic mutant-making bombs
  • Find some alien technology, use it to make THE ULTIMATE MUTANT
  • Try to use THE ULTIMATE MUTANT to hold the UN hostage again until they hand over all of the countries to mutants
  • Get turned into a baby by THE ULTIMATE MUTANT

And that's where Magneto was when Claremont got the X-Men franchise. He's obviously a very different character now, but prior to Claremont Magneto was basically a dude who loved islands and kept stumbling into alien weird alien technology and Atlantis and the Savage Land and etc. Why wouldn't he just wash up on a weird rear end ancient island and take it over?

Skwirl posted:

Claremont's tenure on the X-Men was during the Bronze age. Giant Size X-Men is largely considered one of the markers on the switch from Silver to Bronze.
This sounds super late to be the start of the Bronze Age, given that other popular demarcations include:

Denny O'Neill/Neal Adams de-camp Batman
The "relevant" Green Lantern/Green Arrow series starts
Jack Kirby leaves Marvel for DC
Mort Weisinger steps down as Superman editor, hands it off to Julius Schwartz

Marvel publishes the anti-drug Spider-Man issues without the Comics Code's approval
Comics Code is revised and people start scrambling to do darker/horror stories again
DC tries to de-camp Superman, Kirby on Jimmy Olsen, Kanigher doing "relevant" Lois Lane stories, main Superman books get Neal Adams covers, reduces Superman's powers, Lois and Clark go to work for a TV station
First appearances of Swamp Thing, Man-Thing John Stewart, Morbius, Ra's al Ghul, [Marvel's version of] Conan

Stan Lee steps down as EiC and become Publisher of Marvel Comics, Roy Thomas takes over as EiC
First appearances of Ghost Rider, Adam Warlock, Luke Cage, [Marvel's version of] Dracula, Jonah Hex, Kamandi

The Night Gwen Stacy Died
Joker goes from being wacky to being a murderer again
First appearances of Thanos, Howard the Duck, Daimon Hellstrom, Shang-Chi, Killraven

First appearances of Wolverine, Punisher, Foolkiller, Deathlok, OMAC, Harvey Bullock

Giant Size X-Men #1 isn't until May of 1975.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

So in relation to the chart at the end, isn’t that a bit of a retcon?

Like it says Technarcs are lead by a Magus and think they are the only big deals and don’t know about the Phalanax. Who are their creators.

But wasn’t it originally the other way around? That the Technarcs created the Phalanax as their smaller, dumber kids. Like it was a plot point in Annihilation Conquest.
Is this a Geoff Johns level of retcon? (“She wasn’t jailbait! She was super old by our standards!”)

Skwirl posted:

It's not being used to excuse an adult loving a child, so it's definitely not a Geoff Johns level retcon.

The whole "Arisa isn't technically a teenager" thing originated with Steve Englehart, not Geoff Johns.

As for the Technarchs/Phalanx, the whole thing is kind of a retcon but in general the backstory of the Techno-Organic Peoples is a mess. I might be missing some recent retcons but at least initially the set-up of the Technarchy was:

It's been established that the Technarchs replicate themselves asexually and then fight their offspring to the death as soon as they emerge from the "creche". They feed by infecting living things with the transmode virus and absorbing all of their life energy. Their whole thing is very Kill or Be Killed, Destroy Everyone Else. Despite there being references from the outset to Magus/Warlock's homeworld (Kvch) and Magus being the ruler of it and there being all sorts of other Sire/Offsprings, as best as I can tell we've never actually seen any members of the Technarchy outside of Magus and Warlock. Plus I guess whatever you want to call the various versions of Douglock, and Warlock's own kid from Annihilation Conquest.

Meanwhile the Phalanx have always been portrayed as basically the Borg type assimilation/control type hiveminds. It's all kind of messy since they were originally like... I don't even know. I am literally reading through the Phalanx Covenant and it's such a mess of words; even the title of the crossover is because they refer to groups of the Phalanx as "Covens of Phalanx" so like... a Covenant is like a BIG Coven, right? And they keep talking about Carbonite as a term for humans/biological life even though that's not what carbonite is either.

Originally the Phalanx were supposed to be a new form of Sentinel made by Cameron Hodge (and Steven Lang) after Hodge had like uh... stolen... or cloned... or somethinged Warlock's powers during X-Tinction Agenda, and they were converting humans over into like half-human half-Technarch mutant killers who for some reason couldn't assimilate mutants (except for the ones they could) but when they started making a bigger collective hive they had the urge to create spires to alert all of their brethren to come help them strip Earth of resources/knowledge by assimilating the whole planet. So what that means for their relationship I have no idea.

It honestly makes more sense for the Phalanx (who want to assimilate/absorb the entire universe) to create/manipulate the Technarch (who only want to kill everyone, including their own offspring to prove their might) than vice versa, but it's been forever since I read Conquest so maybe they explain it better there.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Proteus and Legion are both listed on the info page about Omega Mutants in HoX #1, and Proteus is listed as aligned with Krakoa. Legion's alignment is "unknown". They're both deliberately in play, and given how central Moira is to the series I have to assume it will get brought up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I guess you could handwave it around with "well you know, he can change shape! And height and weight and voice, probably!" or whatever, but the Maker and Professor X in HoX are both just white dudes who have the top half of their heads covered.

In comics, half of the characters are drawn by 90% of artists as interchangable Big Handsome White Dudes, it's easy to go "that could be anyone under that mask!" but within the 'real' world of comics, all of these people have known Xavier for years, decades, their entire adult lives.

The idea that Cyclops or Wolverine or Magneto or Jean Grey couldn't tell these nine dudes apart because part of their face is covered is absurd narratively. And these are just generic still photos, not someone walking around and talking and making different facial expressions and etc.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

The issue with saying this is that you're discussing superhero comics where all it takes a domino mask to render people unrecognizable to people who know them, let alone a full-face mask.
Is this really true, outside of bad comics? I get that the general public might go "oh it's someone in the Captain America costume, it must be Captain America!" but pretty much every single storyline with 'replacement character' involves someone being able to use normal human senses to determine that their friend [Batman/Daredevil/Captain America/etc.] has been replaced.

So far in HoX/PoX the only people we've seen interact personally with Xavier/"Professor X" (if you prefer) are Wolverine, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Magneto, and some mutant kids who don't know anything presumably.

There's a big difference between "random Gotham citizen isn't entirely clear how many Robins there are" (something that is part of Comic Book Reality} and like... Alfred being shocked that Dick and Tim are two different people. And the Xavier Isn't Xavier hypothesis tends towards the latter, putting aside superhuman perception.

WHAT IS BLACK WIDOW DOING TURNING INTO IRON MAN, WHO ALSO HAS THOR'S HAMMER NOW?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 1, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I mean yes, absolutely. "Every Batman comic ever" relies on the idea that the international billionaire handsome playboy can't be recognized by comparing him to Batman despite the fact that literally every LA Batman shows us that of course you can. Even if you allow for the things comics love to use of "Of course I knew all along" (Lois/Aunt May and MJ/whatever) there are still plenty of examples of people just plain not figuring out the obvious. Like Jonah never figured out Peter was Spider-Man despite A) hearing the dude's voice all the time and B) The multiple scenes we see of Spider-Man with his mask half pulled up so he can eat or whatever, including scenes with Jonah.

I mean this is true even of modern comics and modern characters. Ms. Marvel is an insanely identifiable young woman and her mask consists of less than a pair of sunglasses but only some of the people who should know managed to piece it together despite her face being prominently displayed and also existing in an era of social media where in reality it would take .3 seconds for some lovely blog to post her real identity for clicks, let alone the people who literally know her.
Even by dumb comic book logic, people generally recognize when Iron Fist dresses up as Daredevil, when there's a new Robin or Batman, that there's a new Captain America, etc. etc. etc.

The flimsy comic book logic is generally that "by putting on a mask random people can't tell who that person is unmasked", not "well Namor just put on Hawkeye's costume and despite being taller and older and having a different build and body language and voice and everything else, all of the Avengers walk around going "weird how Hawkeye has gotten really lovely at shooting arrows and has pointy ears and can lift up cars and keeps screaming IMPERIUS REX, oh well, whatever."

danbanana posted:

THIS THREAD: I don't find it realistic that a mask could hide anyone's identity!

ALSO THIS THREAD: So Magneto uses his powers to rip all of the Adamantium out of Wolverine's body but it turns out his claws weren't given to him in the Weapon X procedure but were there all along and now he just has BONE CLAWS.
Even fantasy stories have underlying logic to their worlds and sometimes bad stories violate that logic, congratulations on being the first person to discover this.

"Identity Crisis is a good mystery because anything that doesn't make sense can be addressed by the fact that AQUAMAN CAN BREATHE WATER, of course bitches are crazy for no reason, you stupid rear end in a top hat. God."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Morrison built the backdoor Sublime escape clause into his version of Magneto, but it's also easy to forget that Morrison's New X-Men came a decade after Claremont left the X-Books for the first time. Claremont spent a decade 'redeeming' Magneto, but Claremont's last X-Men stories also featured:

1) Magneto renouncing his belief that mutants and humans could co-exist.
2) Rebuilding Asteroid M and pointing nuclear missiles at everyone on Earth
3) Torturing Moira MacTaggart for 'influencing' him into being 'good' when he got deaged
4) Getting violent and crazed be cause of Fabian Cortez, who was boosting his powers and making him unstable

At the end of the arc he snaps out of it before destroying humanity and nobly sacrifices himself, knowing he's too far gone.

But then in the decade between X-Men #3 and #114:

- Magneto come back, creates an EMP pulse that shuts down the entire planet, threatens everyone, rips Wolverine's bones out, gets his brain shut down by Xavier

- Magneto's coma brain creates Onslaught and tries to destroy/enslave the whole planet

- Magneto threatens to kill all of humanity unless they give him Genosha, they do

- Magneto kills/enslaves all of the humans on Genosha, builds an army and plans to overthrow all humanity. He kidnaps Xavier and crucifies him above his throne.

I'm probably forgetting something but everyone who wasn't Grant Morrison that worked on X-Men comics from 1991-2001 did a terrific job of 'ruining' Magneto, he just remixed/did the greatest hits of the previous decades, which was basically the whole run.