Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Parallax posted:

so now i guess it's law that all mutants must gently caress

Well the hero at the end of the series was beer, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

What would be really impressive is if rear end in a top hat Xavier moved sabertooth to x-force the next day.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Synthbuttrange posted:

She even accepted a beer

that wasnt in a glass

In my head cannon, she politely accepts the beer but never opens it. Needs to “powder her nose” in the bathroom 3 minutes later to pour it down the sink.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Android Blues posted:

I dunno. The law itself is somewhat arbitrary. Jean's proposition is that it's a major crime to kill a human because humans can't be resurrected. Both Sabretooth and Wolverine killed humans while deployed against ORCHIS. Wolverine killed guiltier humans in a more dangerous situation, for sure, but there's nothing in Jean's proposition about the moral worth of each individual human or the moral justifiability of each killing. It's phrased like an absolute instead.

It would be nice to at least see the characters think about this, or struggle over their goofy autocracy for a second, rather than the way it's written where the character proposing the law makes a grandiose sweeping statement that's coming straight from the authorial voice and the others nod and go, "yes, that makes sense".

They absolutely do that though. Mystique asks about killing in self defense, which I think counts for killing people who are building mutant-death-robot-mothers. Magneto says that poo poo is clearly different from what sabertooth did.

Edit: although maybe the real issue is that sabertooth disobeyed magneto’s orders. He’s the one who decides what’s right and wrong, after all :v:

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 3, 2019

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Sinteres posted:

First, congratulations for disliking Tom King before it was cool/while he was still writing incredible comics.

People mostly aren't just saying Hickman is infallible so it must all come together. People are mostly saying they're enjoying the hell out of these comics despite the flaws, perceived or otherwise. Maybe some of the characters were persuaded out of their misgivings after finding out the entire thing is a last desperate attempt to stave off genocide, maybe Xavier's loving with everyone's minds as he attempts to stave off that genocide, or maybe there's something even worse going on and he's being manipulated in some way too. Or maybe Hickman's so caught up in the big picture, and trying to radically transform the status quo in 12 issues, that he's leaving characterization behind to be cleaned up/explained away later--we just don't know yet. Either way, as a limited series I think this has been amazing, and I'm willing to forgive an awful lot for the sheer number of wtf moments we've seen. If everyone was able to move beyond Iron Man and Reed Richards running a concentration camp in the negative zone, we'll probably be able to move on from some mutants being a bit too excited about their suspicious looking mutant paradise where they're all gifted with immortality.

Xavier promised everyone a gigantic mutant orgy, and in HoX #6 he finally delivered.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I just don’t see the same lack of characterization that you all do. Just look at Xavier being a smug piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat smiling like he’s the devil.

I would say that a small number of characters have been uh, characterized very very well. Mostly magneto, and a few good pages of Emma and Sinister.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Well that’s a lot more fair and I accept it. I guess I just automatically expect that from all team books.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Do all the of new #1 x-books drop the week after PoX #6? Or if not, which books drop first?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Well, the giant fireworks orgy is happening right outside their door.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

On that note, I’ve never seen Exodus in a cartoon or comic before. What’s his deal?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Weird poo poo. Was Exodus part of the Asteroid M thing in the cartoon show? Or was that just Fabian Cortez still

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Exile, by Exiles

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

You kind of run into the same problem every time your brain powers down and you go to sleep. The you that wakes up is a new person.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Android Blues posted:

No, you don't, because your brain doesn't "power down" when you go to sleep. This is a common argument in continuity of consciousness debates, but sleep is not analogous to death. Your brain is active while you're sleeping, it's just in a different mode. You might as well say you lose continuity of consciousness when you blink.

Anyway, yeah, based on what we currently know, it's just cloning with a memory backup process. The characters seem to think otherwise, though, to the extent that they decide murdering a mutant should not be a crime on Krakoa - which is a bit baffling. Even assuming it's true resurrection, wouldn't there be a degree of mental trauma from being murdered that the perpetrator would be culpable for?

Is that functionally any different though? If you go to sleep, you have no idea what happens to you next. You could literally wake up in Xavier’s egg pod the next day, with no idea if you died or it was just a prank.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

It’s definitely a “secret history” instead of a reboot, which Hickman has already done a bunch of times before. That Legion and Proteus are both engineered on purpose is very nasty but it makes a lot of sense.

So 6th life is where humans and mutants both got locked in zoos so the Phalanx thing could happen. And maybe Moira and wolverine were married for a thousand years?

7th life Moira tried to destroy all robots, and learns that it’s impossible.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I think the point of the 6th life is that it made Moira give up on Xavier’s plan for good. In her next 3 lives she became an assassin, teamed up with magneto, and teamed up with apocalypse.

Now she’s teamed up with Xavier again, but it a very different way.

Also the 6th life confirmed some shenanigans about black holes being connected to all time and space, so they can survive beyond her timeline annihilation powers.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Adder Moray posted:

They now exist in a timeline wherein Professor X, Magneto, and Apocalypse are all working together and in agreement about the general course forward for mutant kind, not just the end goal, but the methods for achieving them. She's lived nine lifetimes prior to this one and it has never happened before.

Seemlar posted:

The changing of the rules would be that Xavier's dream isn't just doomed to failure, success of the dream also leads to failure - if humans and mutants both continue to exist even peacefully, humans come out on top. So the plan ultimately is turning Xavier towards mutant supremacy (even in relatively mild form) despite his innate goodness and wish to just co-exist with humanity, to bring *everyone* together against them.

From the way Moira's journal describes this it was a precarious balancing act as to how far to push him

These seem the correct takes to me. All of these lives were needed to first make Moira abandon Xavier’s dream, then to make her own plan, then finally to fit Apocalypse and Magneto and the other dangerous mutants into her plan.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

One thing about post-humans vs mutants. I can’t think of any super humans who have reality bending powers (except scarlet witch lol) and other weird Omega-level powers.

Mutants ended up with Legion, Proteus, and even Franklin Richards. And I doubt a genetic engineer could ever recreate crazy stuff like Storm’s weather manipulation powers or Goldballs egg production. Maybe some of the really out-there origin stories like for humans Molecule Man and Graviton are comparable...?

Edit: Now, Moira has revealed that she created two of those reality benders by combining the X-gene with genetic engineering, which adds another wrinkle.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

quote:

(which led to some concern regarding Banshee and Siryn until they made it canon that Siryn's powers were sufficiently different from Banshees because she could, for example, speak while flying, which he can't).

:lol::lol:

Nathan Grey/Nathan Summers both have omega level potential as well. So the offspring of regular superheroes and the offspring of mutants both have enormous potential.

The Franklin Richards case is interesting, because his sister Valeria Richards is pretty much equally powerful as a superhero, and she has no super powers in any form whatsoever.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Oh god that’s right, Franklin Richards was the key to the Onslaught storyline. I wonder if Moira saw that in any other timelines.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Radiation created about 90% of early marvel heroes and villains

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Do you think Hickman is on team Magneto Was Right?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

galagazombie posted:

I think you're misunderstanding me, I'm saying that the way Mutants have traditionally been written, that even if you yourself aren't one your kids or grandkids will be so you're genetic line will still succeed. Our Cro-Magnon ancestors would be delighted to know that their descendants have evolved and prospered for an example. This whole arc seems like it's changing it from "Mutants are the future, but don't worry everyone will eventually join the club" vs "Mutants are the future, all but us privileged few can eat poo poo and die." There's a huge difference between "extinct" because the species evolved into something new, and extinct because your line was killed off.

Is there really? The X-Men have dozens of stories about humans hating their own mutant children. I think most versions of the Stryker family have that going on.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

It’s good that Xavier is finally preserving his friendship with Magneto.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Xavier’s dream isn’t worth poo poo if it gets all the mutants killed. Magneto’s dream isn’t worth poo poo if it gets all the mutants killed. Apocalypse’s dream isn’t worth poo poo if it gets all the mutants killed.

None of them even deserve to be leaders unless they start offering survival.

That’s what this new story is all about. A new method for Xavier to apply his ideals while still offering any realistic chance of staying alive. It’s the core idea of evolution itself, change or die.

Krakoa represents going one step beyond that. Not just surviving, but making a real life. Like Magneto said, forming a new world where success doesn’t come from brute force and aggression, but creativity and teamwork and communication.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

The x-men will slaughter robots with no problem. But I think that when they deal with human enemies, they’re always much more polite than they should be.

What I remember from the cartoon is that they were dealing with Trask dad, who was developing the master mold system. By the season finale, they convinced Trask dad that mutants were good. But then he died, and Trask son continued to be a murderous villain for the entire rest of the series.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Strange Poon posted:

He's said in an interview that the X-Men outfits will be from a wardrobe that consists of all their outfits (I think he may have hinted at new ones, too?) and not a static costume, which has been the case in the past.

:psyduck: what the ever living gently caress. This is the REAL earth shattering change he brought to the Marvel Universe.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

The young jean grey book was great. Should’ve kept her instead of bringing back old jean.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

quote:

The broader point is we bring back characters all the time in much less elegant ways, and this one is actually based on an experience Professor Xavier had in earlier X-Men comics, so it makes sense he would think of something like this. He knew it worked.

What the gently caress. Did Xavier hatch from an egg and get his old memories implanted at some point?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

rantmo posted:

Storm died and came back as a space whale and then got better, maybe he got the idea from that.

Rick posted:

Xavier's original body is M.I.A. It was infected by the Brood so Moria and the Shi'Ar made him a new body that was also younger and transfered his mind into it.

I mean you could probably assume they disposed the body but my X-Men Fantasy Booking always maintained that the original body is out there somewhere.

:psyduck:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Yeah. Captain Marvel fights or teams up with Rogue every now and then. Beyond that, they don’t really cross over much.

That said, the Captain Marvel book from earlier this year was pretty good, and it made Rogue look good too.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I think the new definition of mutant is anyone with an X-gene. So clones are in. But Deadpool’s operation didn’t change his DNA, so he’s not a mutant.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Vulcan is such a piece of turd Omega mutant

Android Blues posted:

Really liked X-Men #1. Hepzibah flirting with Rachel is life.

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest a big ol' fuckpile poly relationship is probably the happiest and healthiest way for that to go.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Given the degree to which the X-people are being presumptuos lately, I'm fairly sure they expected Lorna to move in next to Alex. Alternate option depending on how cheeky Hickman is feeling: Adam the X-Treme

The last one could be Ruby... or maybe old Cable bring back old Cable dammit if there can be an old and young Spider-Man Cable can do it too

:hmmyes:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Vulcan has so much energy manipulation that he probably can’t die. He can fly in space. He can vaporize fleets of alien spaceships.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

*points at every single example of Xavier using his powers to “help” someone*

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I’m now assuming that every x-man has like 3 separate houses and what we saw was wolverine’s summer house (heh)

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

It’s completely in character for the FF. They are absolutely willing to kill. Mostly alien soldiers, but they can kill humans too. It’s why Sue Storm has her own miniseries now as a SHIELD spy. It’s why the Council of Reeds murdered galactus so many times.

Granted, they can usually find perfect solutions so no one has to die. But unlike the x-men, the avengers, daredevil, and most other Marvel characters, I don’t think they’ve ever had a strict no-killing policy.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Anyone can use the gates, including humans

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

It’s X-genes all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Cloks posted:

He was pretty derisive of them the entire time, which ranged from chiding to exasperation. I think he best summed it up as "X-men fans are people who buy team books and think they should be solo titles" and said that fans is too loving of a word for X-Men readers.

It's worth listening to, he clearly has an interesting plan ahead and he really likes and respects the people he's working with.

Harsh but fair