Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
X-Men Blue was fun and I liked it a lot more than Gold, it really felt like it nailed the "Getting back to being heroes thing" a lot more than Gold did, but I guess it had less baggage to sort out so it could jump right into the action. I was most intrigued by the "Coming up in X-Men Blue" teaser page that had the old Generation X team (including Synch and Skin) in their uniforms, wondering what that's all about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I liked Weapon X okay. After reading so many Weapon X series in the past, I enjoy this one changing it up at least a little by having the crew kind of assemble itself instead of the government doing it for them (although Weapon X hunting them is what spurred them into action).

Old Man Logan is pretty disappointing with this new arc. I feel like it's been spinning its wheels for while, but this issue was literally just Old Man Logan porting to different points in his history and then grabbing an amulet, repeat.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also what's the deal with the original 5 now?

They went back to the past and their past selves...were still there and nothing was wrong. It seems like in fixing up reality post Secret Wars, everything was patched up timeline-wise so the X-Men never left. So now the original five are just some weird time/reality remnant that are living in the present and in no way affect the future lives of any X-Men.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yeah, I have to say I enjoyed Hope in that issue. I'd like to see her in a lot more things if they can keep that characterization. Kind of a bummer as that Cable/Hope series was really fun and she's just fallen by the wayside since then.

I've enjoyed everything in the X-Relaunch so far, some more than others, but I've been shocked by enjoying the "old" X-Men stuff the most. My rankings so far:
1. X-Men Blue
2. Jean Grey
3. Weapon X
4. Generation X
5. X-Men Gold

I dunno. Something about Gold just hasn't grabbed me at all yet. Seems so inconsequential, the other books have jumped hard into interesting stories right away (well, not Gen X, but it only has 1 issue so far).

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Weapons of Mutant Destruction doesn't seem that essential to the crossover between Weapon X/Hulk, but I enjoyed it just the same. The new Weapon X book continues to be one of the better X relaunches and I feel like this crossover might give the Cho Hulk series some actual direction, as it's felt kind of aimless of the past few months.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Now just imagine how hard it was for the guys like Peter David trying to tell coherent stories in X-Factor while still acting as random parts to X-Cutioner Songs/Fatal Attractions/Phalanx Covenants.

But Rhyno's right, that's peak 90s X-Men baby

Tato fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 25, 2017

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It had a series of minis before the ongoing started. I don't remember it being bad either. It started out with some interesting things, including "The Director" who was obsessed with taking down Weapon X because Wolverine maimed his face during the initial Weapon X breakout. I never read the actual ending of the series so I'm not sure how much gets resolved in the end. I can say without a doubt it was the only comic I ever read that featured Kane and made him interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Weapon X continues to be the most fun of all the books so far, I'm not sure why I'm digging it so much but I like the team dynamic and the overarching story. It also gave a much needed shot in the arm to The Totally Awesome Hulk, which has been meandering a bit until the crossover.

I'm also shocked at how much I'm enjoying Jean Grey, even though it's mainly a travelogue book where each issue she gets a life/combat lesson from a different hero. I just wonder if the big Phoenix confrontation is ever going to happen in this book or if it's being saved for the main X-Men Blue book or some event thing. It's still fun, but it feels like the book is building to something that will never happen in its own pages.

Generation X is disappointingly blah, but the last issue was a nice little one-shot story about the eyeball kid. It looks like future issues have more Monet and Husk, so maybe it can pick up some momentum that way. I'm glad Monet being turned into Emplate is being continued instead of just forgotten about, as no one was really reading Uncanny at the end there.