Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I feel like I might have said this last month, but goddamn I really dig the art on Weapon X right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I like the Astonishing annual, and I like Charles being an exhausted rear end in a top hat who has dropped all pretense of pedagogy.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/1030136572740481024

Characters who used to not have facial hair getting facial hair is my favorite thing.

So wait, are we getting original flavor Madrox back-- the one with the M tattoo-- at the end of.. whatever the gently caress is going on in that Madrox mini, or am I looking into variant covers too much?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Beerdeer posted:

The latest Generation X was full of bi/gay storytelling. I don’t remember anything beyond that, including the characters’ names, so they will probably have that same Anole problem.

Bling! is a lesbian, I think, like two of the new dudes dated (one of them also dated Quire I think, but that might have just been Quire trying to get those two to hook up in his jerk way, Quire's own preferences were left ambiguous I think).

Also Prodigy is bi, I believe.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Rick posted:

I'm really glad Doug is back, and it's hosed up they killed Doug 2.0, Elixir.

Elixir is alive. He's hanging out on Asteroid M with Magneto.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So I don't know anything about all those Search for Wolverine stories, and the idea of hot claws are still dumb, but: Return of Wolverine was good. This looks like it's going to be an extremely back to basics Wolverine story, and I'm down for that.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

We're going to find out that Wolverine actually got his DNA spliced with Pete Wisdom, and he randomly pops hot knives in the shape of claws.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

rantmo posted:

The most unrealistic part of Shattybuns #1 is the idea that a highschool would perform Titus Andronicus but on the other hand the art actually did a really good job of showing the progress of the play so I! I'm not even mad about it.

I really liked that book overall. I actually especially liked how he and Julio's relationship was presented-- in a way that didn't seem like it needed highlighting for the sake of being queer, but also didn't obscure that that's what it was. It was all very normalized, for lack of a better phrasing.

That said, I hope nobody ever calls Shatterstar "Ben" again, because that is the silliest loving thing.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 10, 2018

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I don't want Scott back, because suddenly Jean will become Scott's Girlfriend again because people can't loving let that go and let her be her own character.

What about all that time when Scott and Emma were a thing? That's a status quo I wouldn't mind returning to.

Honestly though, I want a book and team to last long enough that someone can build a new status quo. It's been nothing but short runs and revolving doors forever.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Not going to lie, Cyke in his 90s cartoon costume and Wolverine in the yellow and brown is extremely my jam.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

I'm reminded than in a lot of superhero tabletop RPGs 'telepathy' and 'mind control' are both divided up into different things and that's for the best.

That's also to facilitate characters who have mind control powers that are explicitly not telepathic, like the Purple Man and Mad Hatter.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 24, 2018

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I guess if you ignore that the deal isn't done and X-Men has been continually published, then sure it's true.

Far be it for me to defend CharlesTheHammer, but it's entirely possible for Marvel to realize that they could get a bigger bang for their buck putting more emphasis on the properties they have the movie rights for while simultaneously understanding that there are a variety of good reasons to keep publish X-Men books at a decent clip.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'm finding it a little hard to believe that Disney just winds up all it's little bits and pieces of Marvel and sends them off on their merry way, with no though to how those pieces might interact. It's entirely believable that they're autonomous from each other-- editorial isn't telling licensing anything, licensing isn't directing studios, etc-- but the idea that Disney, of all companies, is not laying out at least some kind of broad overall direction for them with an eye towards making money seems like a bridge too far.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Abroham Lincoln posted:

and shove the time-displaced kids back in a closet

Oof. Some of them extremely literally.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

This new character has feet, no pouches, and relatively reasonably sized guns.

What has happened to you, Rob Liefeld

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

IUG posted:

The ending was very much Grandmaster Anthony's birthday party. *In come every X-Men ever, even Maggot (who I thought was dead)*

I think Maggott got resurrected during Necrosha?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

X-O posted:

Hickman has been back with the company for a year working on this in the background.

So, uh, how long has that Fox/Disney deal been all but done for? Because for some reason I feel like the answer is going to be "about a year".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

rantmo posted:

Yeah, I'm really ready for this run to end. I'm not sure if I'd feel more charitable towards the writing if the art wasn't so loving bad, but since the art is just awful I'm over all of it. I mean, the whole TO virus thing reads like a writer trying to hand wave away a plot point they didn't like from a previous author, but it's the same writer what the gently caress? I'm so over all of this, bring on Hickman and/or literally anyone else.

Yeah I've entirely checked out until Hickman shows up. It's pretty clear the dude is going to wipe the board clean and set up a new foundation to build on for years to come, that's what Hickman does. No point in showing up until that happens.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

One Hick Man.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I am extremely glad to hear all that, it sounds exactly like what the entire line needed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

She can just go down to the basement to use the alien clothes machine. (Yes this is a real thing.)

Do you want symbiotes? Because that's how you get symbiotes.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

These Loss edits are getting pretty obscure.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

JordanKai posted:

I'm sure Rosenberg didn't intend to write an anti-vaxx storyline, but the vibes are certainly there.

Are you really that sure? Because this is like the third instance is of Rosenberg "accidentally" writing some really yikes-worthy stuff in as many months.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

I remember somebody commenting that during that span of the 90's you were either a massively powerful psionic (which equates to psychic/laser eyes) or really super specific, like being a living television transmitter in the case of one of the Upstarts.

I love the really super specific powers.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I would say the exact opposite actually. "At the end of my run I don't want anyone or anything to have meaningfully changed in any way" is kind of a depressing thing to read. It is possible to change things without having to 'put the toys back' as it were.

I think it's less about not having meaningful change and more about.. y'know, not Rosenberging the whole thing. Having one or two characters swept off the board for a period of time, or some new dramatic shift in the status quo is one thing, utterly decimating the line entirely another.

Give the person coming in after you something to work with, not salted earth.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Gynovore posted:

All those lineups feel like some pulled names out of a hat.

Maggott????

loving Mondo in the year of our lord 2019. Sure, gently caress it, I'm down.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Oh I loving hate this question.

Yes, actually, people can and do live in hardcore denial about all sorts of poo poo well into their thirties (and longer!).

Edit: Good response from Hickman, though.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 23, 2019

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

TwoPair posted:

AIM (or at least a good percentage of it) turned on him during Secret Empire though, I don't think he has it any more. Or if he does, he needs to get call Jen Walters (or some other super-lawyer) to help retain his brand since at least one group calling themselves AIM just showed up in Wasp.

I would love a She-Hulk story where AIM has become the Kleenex of evil super-science.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dude looks even more evil than usual, so it would be quite a twist for him to not be a total dickbag for once.

It's the beard. It's an evil beard.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

The Sandman posted:

Chances this all turns out to be a side effect of Tony's Snap in Endgame?

Only tangentially related, but I've often thought that a great way for them to bring mutants into the MCU is to reveal that we've all been watching an in medias res "No more mutants" situation that somehow has to be reverse in some kind of House of M adaptation.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think just Molly in Runaways? The Maximoff twins got retconned out of being mutants, last that I recall.

I think they were retconned out of being Magneto's kids, but they're still mutants?

Edit: Nope, googled it and apparently they're humans who the High Evolutionary futzed with.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

While Xavier is no slouch in raw power I think he's always relied on technique. He's probably the best trained telepath on the planet, but that's usually a pretext for him getting Worfed by some ridiculously powerful psi.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

Morrison pretty much said that he expected it to get retconned eventually and not to worry too much about it, because that’s comics.

This is the healthiest attitude about comic books I've ever heard in my life.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

They’ll convert Moira into a machine or into pure data so that she can’t reset the timeline they’ve been fighting so hard for. Moira has to survive somehow or else the prime Marvel Universe is going to be one where she died before her powers manifested.

The end of the universe is going to be Franklin Richards, Galactus, and whatever is left of Moira X.

And Mr. Immortal, from the Great Lakes Avengers.

God, now I want Hickman to work Mr. Immortal into this somehow.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Why do I have this vague recollection of Gambit supposedly living until the end of time in some X-book or another?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

danbanana posted:

He was the old guy that Bishop was talking to to figure out who the X-Traitor was. That was like 50 years in the future.

Yeah, that rings a bell. That must be it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

He was already killed by Thor and Ego and came back as Necro-Galactus and killed again by this point, I think, which kind of makes Franklin a dick.

Keeping the Richards legacy alive!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

Emma's entrance, brilliant.

Everyone's dialogue, kind of stilted, not a fan.

Paige Guthrie and Archangel, really? On a suicide mission even?

They should have brought Sam, he's nigh-invulnerable when he's blasted. :v:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Flavius Aetass posted:

What's the best way to quickly catch up on the past uh.... 20 or so years?

Just watch these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Bc7QQeLAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

danbanana posted:

Still convinced the opening HoX 1 scene is a red-herring and that what this issue shows is not what we think.

The Mother Mold's little soliloquy as it drops into the implies to me that this didn't stop anything. The machine rise is still happening, just not with this particular Mold.

I think this was pretty explicitly stated in one of the previous books, though I forget if it was a Powers or a House. The only questions are when, and what their disposition is.