Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, I guess it's just me being pessimistic.

Maybe, maybe not. Very few group projects survive a split up of the hosts - even one as amicable as theirs. I sincerely hope they do continue because it's one of the few podcasts I actually listen to religiously. It looks like Miles will be doing a Thor podcast during the hiatus with Elisabeth Allie which I'm looking forward to. Despite not really being into Thor, the two of them have always had great chemistry together when she's filled in for Jay - so I'll probably enjoy it. If I had to wager a guess, post-hiatus I'd say we're getting Miles and Elisabeth X-Plain the X-Men.

Edit:

X-O posted:

Astonishing X-Men

Writer: Charles Soule
Artist: Rotating Team
Soule has stated that this title has a very specific story to tell. He likens it to a mystery or puzzle box where each issue will reveal a new layer of the story. Also saying the book can and will touch on all corners of the X-Men's history. The team for this book is Archangel, Bishop, Fantomex, Old Man Logan, Rogue, Gambit, Psylock, and Mystique.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about Fantomex at all? I've just never enjoyed the character.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Has Gambit ever realized that he could just pick up a bunch of dirt?

I'm sure he's done it at some point, but a classy member of De T'ieves Guild would never sully his hands like that on the regular.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Soonmot posted:

EDIT: Don't worry about it, I don't get upset about being called out when I gently caress up, it's the only way to improve.

The most polite argument in the history of the internet.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

rantmo posted:

The thing I love most about X-plain The X-Men is how we'll edited it is, there are no "um"s or pauses that are not left in on purpose and the contents are so well-planned. There are so many other podcasts I can't listen to because they're just so loving rambling and unfocused.

The production values, and post production work, are top notch. Hell, the fact that they even have a separate producer puts it miles ahead of a lot of other podcasts.

NorgLyle posted:

He was really great in Remender's Uncanny X-Force. Every other appearance of his that I've ever read has made me wish that every character from that book was only ever allowed to be in that book and vanished out of continuity when it ended.

I will concede this point. However, I'm not sure if he was great in it, or if the series was so great that it elevated the character.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Just read X-Men Gold #4, and I just wanted to pop in and say that, even without the controversy, I vastly prefer the new artist, RB Silva, to Syaf. Hope he sticks around for awhile.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Soonmot posted:

the roll back on the bit of maturity quier picked up in wolverine and the x-men is annoying.

I was trying to figure out why I wasn't crazy about it - and this pretty much nails it. Quire is passed all this nonsense already - it feels like a retread. Although it was nice seeing Broo again.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Excal, X-Force and X-Factor were all supposed to be announced at C2E2. The X-Men Gold bullshit gave them cold feet so they're all delayed.

If you're talking about the issue with the original artist, that's a shame because it's a solid book and the new artist is so much better than the first.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

To be fair, that's not an X-Book - and this isn't exactly high on the list of the problems with Secret Empire.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That issue is still my favorite single issue comic that I own.

Is it the same one that has Quicksilver explaining why he's always so pissed off? If so, also one of my favorites.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Cabbit posted:

The art in X-Men Blue fell off a cliff this week, holy poo poo.

Oh, good - I thought it was just me. Writing is still solid though.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rochallor posted:

Maybe like Danger with a red color scheme? I can kind of see her dreads in that, but she's not exactly an existential threat to the X-men.

I don't think it's Danger because where she's sitting doesn't fit, but at the same time, the character, as drawn, isn't ringing any bells either.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Roth posted:

I actually think I like Iceman the most out of the new X-Men books. Cable's also pretty good.

I'm really not enjoying Iceman all that much. I mean, I don't hate it - but it goes to the bottom of the pile. I was really never that interested in Iceman as a character, and nothing that's happened in the first couple issues has really made me say "Wow, I can't wait to see what happens next". I'm just kinda meh on the whole thing. X-Men: Blue rates only slightly higher for me - I just don't find myself caring that much about it. It's a little more interesting than Iceman, but only slightly.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying X-Men: Gold, but as an older guy, I guess I'm right in their target demographic for that one. Cable, Jean Grey, and Astonishing also get high marks.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

I have been reading all uncanny and just finished chuck Austen's run. Holy poo poo was it bad

It's pretty terrible, except for his characterization of Juggernaut. The whole Juggernaut/Sammy thing was really well done.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Zoro posted:

do both X-Men teams need a Wolverine?

Wasn't there a page in something where it showed Wolverine's week and every day he's on a different team?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

rantmo posted:

I like what the costume could be with a stronger artist, but that image is not really doing it.

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. It could be a decent costume, but that is not a good representation of it.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Herr Tog posted:

Is the art 90's bad and is Jubilee still a vampire?

I don't think it's 90's bad - it's bad in a different way. And yes, Jubilee is still a vampire.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

davebo posted:

I'm in the families are fine but you only need one of each character camp. Speaking of which, who the gently caress is Bloodstorm? Just like, an alternate universe version of Storm where everyone is vampires? Is that necessary? Wasn't the point of House of M to decrease the sheer number of mutants in the Marvel universe? So since then their big plan has been to repopulate by doubling up on all existing mutants?

Bloodstorm was from Mutant X - the comic that sprung from Havok being in a coma and having his consciousness displaced to an alternate reality (X-Factor V1 #149). Not everyone there is vampire. If memory serves, her origin is that instead of being freed by Kitty, as happened in 616, she succumbed to Dracula and was turned. (Uncanny #159 is the original Dracula story)

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Laura doesn't need to be adopted she has her own apartment and poo poo already, and has basically already adopted Gabby.

Everybody needs Herc and Howlett as their adoptive dads. Everybody.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is Grand Design meant to be cannon? I know you kind of need to keep Magneto as a Holocaust survivor, it's pretty central to his character. But I don't know that we need an established timeline showing that Charles really did fight in (Korea?) and that David is the son of holocaust survivor and therefore at least 60 years old. Oh, and by way of an establishing shot, that Spider-Man's been slinging webs for 50+ years too.

I guess there's really no way for the actual timelines to make sense, especially when real events in history are also part of the MU. I just thought they tried to condense it whenever possible (Punisher isn't a Vietnam vet anymore, because there's always a new war he can be a vet of, etc).

I did enjoy Grand Design # 1 though.

I believe it's Ed Piskor's attempt at boiling down 50+ years of incredibly convoluted continuity into an easy to digest format. Pretending the actual timeline makes sense went out the window a long time ago. Cap's always gonna be a WW2 vet and Magneto will always be a Holocaust survivor regardless of the year being 1965 or 2065. Better to just acknowledge that the actual passage of time has no meaning in the Marvel Universe because it doesn't.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

davebo posted:

And also what a great example of bigotry persisting in the real world since the muslim artist of that issue put in anti-Jewish references! (which is the controversy he was referring to of course)

I never even considered the irony of it turning up on that particular page. Thanks for rueful chuckle.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Though Diner Erik's star of david kind of looks like a pentagram.

No, it doesn't. In every shot it gives the impression of having 6 points. I think you're being fooled by the fact that it has a circle around it.

EDIT: Pretty sure I got them all:

Jedi fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 11, 2018

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I guess? Just trying to say that this two issue project that had no major hype from Marvel (seriously, not even a single push from their marketing to get retailers to carry it) is the new X-Men history kind of feels silly.

It's a 6 issue project. 3 volumes of 2 issues each. Next one is due out later this year.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, this is where it started, and it may have been a Jim Lee idea, since by that point, Claremont was barely writing the comic.

Claremont wasn't writing it at all by Issue 4 - he quit after issue 3, primarily because he didn't like the fact that Marvel was giving artists greater creative control over writers. Odds are, it was a Jim Lee thing.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm not that well versed in the xmen stuff and I've had a question for a while now. Who exactly is Rachel? As far as I can tell, she's sone sort of alternate reality daughter of Jean, who is pretty much the same age. Is that right?
And there was something about them not existing at the same time.

And she wears a lot of spikes for some reason.

Anything else I should know about her?

I know I could just look it up, but asking you guys is more interesting.

There's an awful lot of meat in your questions but to give you the highlights... Rachel Summers (she now goes by Rachel Grey) is the daughter of Scott and Jean from the "Days of Future Past" reality (Earth-811). She was first introduced in Uncanny X-Men 141. She came back in time to Earth-616 in Uncanny X-Men 184. Upon arriving in our universe, she was shocked to learn that Jean was dead and that Scott was married to Madelyne Pryor. She briefly joined the X-Men and became host for the Phoenix Force but left when Wolverine gutted her to prevent her from killing Selene. Mortally wounded, she wandered into Spiral's Body Shop and wasn't heard from again until Excalibur. She goes on lots of fun adventures with Excalibur until issue #75 at which point she gets lost in the time stream while saving Captain Britain. She's not heard from again in the main 616-timeline for a very long time. I know she comes back around 2004 or 2005, but I forget the circumstances.

It is later learned, that she escaped the time stream in the far future where Scott and Maddy's kid Nathan Christopher (also known as Cable) was sent. There she became Mother Askani and started a whole religion/cult dedicated to stopping Apocalypse. (The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix 1-4)

As to why she wears the spikes - through various flashbacks of her history, we learned that Rachel was a member of the Hounds controlled by Ahab. The Hounds were mutants who were captured and brainwashed into hunting other mutants. Her face was tattooed with lines and the spiked body suit was her costume. For awhile, whenever she lost control of her emotions, the spikes would show up and her costume would reconfigure back into the bodysuit.

That's basically the high points. There's a lot there to explore and as with any kind of X-Men time line it gets pretty wonky. You get bits and pieces of her background throughout her first run on Uncanny (184-209) and then some more during the first 75 issues of Excalibur.

EDIT: Somehow missed all the other replies. That's what I get for leaving the reply window open while researching issue numbers.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

As I recall, she returned to the present when Cable killed Apocalypse and stopped his timeline from ever happening, so rather than popping out of the timestream in the far future, Rachel got stuck for awhile and I think Cable found her?

That rings a bell - you're probably right. I'm far better versed with earlier X-Men than later.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Android Blues posted:

Did the grudge just get dropped or did a writer address it at some point?

It just got dropped.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. That seems to be kinda weird and messy but fun.

It is all of those things - especially Excalibur. Claremont/Davis (and then Davis solo) Excalibur is one of the most fun comics I've ever read. Issues 1-58 are just delightful. Davis leaves after that and Lobdell picks it up for a bit and continues the trend of whimsy until around 75. After that, it kinda loses a bit of magic.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I think there was a point in time where Claremont thought he could get rid of Cyclops forever by marrying him off. That very obviously didn't happen.

It wasn't so much that he wanted to get rid Cyclops specifically, more that he didn't want the X-Men to be the same static team forever. The way he envisioned it, was that as time went on, older characters would leave and new ones would come in. Scott was the only one left on the team from the original team. He got married and moved away - his time as a super hero was over. Claremont was super pissed that they yanked him back into X-Factor - especially because he didn't take Madelyne with him. He goes into it pretty deeply on the episode he did with Jay and Miles and they also talk about it when they get up to X-Factor.

Rhyno posted:

GOLDBALLS

Goldballs is awesome. Don't hate on fun.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Putrid Grin posted:

Is the podcast back on? Still good or did things get weird?

The audio quality isn't nearly as good since they're no longer in a studio together, but the content hasn't been affected much by the move.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

rantmo posted:

I feel like the audio has gotten much better of late, they've got the kinks pretty well worked out. It'll never be as good as the two of them in a studio but it's fine. The content is rad as ever but now it's in the 90's so there are pouches.

I agree that they've made improvements since their first show apart, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as when they were in the same room. Skype just doesn't have the range.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Open Marriage Night posted:

I binged the whole podcast in like five months, and finished last week. I need a break for a bit, because I got real tired of hearing Jay go "No." and correcting or trying to one up whatever Miles was saying. Great show for the most part though.

I've noticed that as well and the fact that Miles always backs down to avoid an argument. It's mildly irritating because disagreements about interpretations can be very interesting, but they never get to that point.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Putrid Grin posted:

On one hand you had happy go lucky Miles that loves almost everything and can find silver lining anywhere, and then there is the overbearing analytical no-nonsense Jay. The only things that ever bothered me was the overuse of the word "delightful", and Jays propensity to view everything as a hidden queer subtext. Its an important lens to view comics through to be sure, but he goes overboard with it a lot of times. Not every x-man is secretly gay.

I thoroughly enjoy the fact that Miles loves everything. Even when he dislikes something, his enthusiasm for the work is infectious. Seems like he'd be an awesome dude to hang out with.

Wanderer posted:

That said, there's a whole burgeoning field of critical analysis that revolves around the concept of the "transformative work" that I'm just never gonna be too comfortable with, and that informs a lot of Jay's running commentary. It feels a lot to me like fans attempting to assert an unearned ownership of the text by changing details about it to suit their needs. That's fine in fan work, but to my mind, not so much in criticism or analysis. Fortunately, it's not the whole point of the podcast.

When they had Claremont on, they straight up asked him if all the queer subtext was intentional or not and I believe his answer was something along the lines of "It's not for me to tell you if your interpretation is right or wrong. If that's what you took from it, and it brought you comfort, then I'm happy for you." Which I genuinely think is a great response for a writer to have.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

rantmo posted:

According to a mutual friend, that's 100% the real Miles, there's nothing forced or performative about him on the podcast and when I learned that I felt a palpable relief.

I'm not at all surprised. I've never felt he's come off as anything but genuine. The dude strikes me as just one of those people who gets really jazzed about his hobbies. It's refreshing and awesome.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Galvanik posted:

edit: And even at face value it's pretty absurd. Prof X couldn't wipe that trauma from her mind? Or Emma Frost? Or the Cuckoos? It was young Jean Grey, who in story only found out she's a telepath a few months ago, and it constantly being ragged on by other telepaths as being blunt force and very unskilled. Bah.

Why couldn't Prof X get through the "extensive memory blocks" in Logan for 30 years? Taken to it's extreme end, an omega level telepath is basically a god. If Prof X is the "most powerful telepath in the world" then it's impossible someone could design a memory block that he couldn't get through or any psychological trauma that he couldn't heal. And yet, it happens constantly. It's a catch-22. You want to have your heroes be powerful because you can show how, if not for their innate goodness, they'd be monsters. But, you still need them to fail every now and again, because otherwise it's boring as poo poo and the character is deus ex machina personified. Once you involve telepaths and psychological trauma it's best just to take it as written, because the whole thing falls apart if you try and dig.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rick posted:

I find most of the X stuff out right now to be decent but the problem is it feels like they're all missing that building to something way off in the future that may never happen and the constant relaunches are apart of that because it seems as soon as a writer gets their legs the creative team changes.

Sadly, I think those days are gone. You're not going to have any build up to something in the future because that's not the way comics are written anymore. That buildup was primarily because there was a single writer driving the book for so long. Yes, it got a little ridiculous with the constant dangling plot lines - but when it paid off, it usually paid off in spades. With a constantly shifting creative team, that can't happen.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Marvel's comic "post credit scenes" are just a page at the end of the book. It's dumb.

The first post-credits scene I can remember for the MCU was probably 15-25 seconds long. It was Nick Fury saying something along the lines of "Tell me... What do you know about the Avengers initiative?" I think a one page teaser is about on par with that - providing it's a good page.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Metalshark posted:

Taylor ended ANW on a really great note, but I have to say that X-Men Red is just so my jam that I actually preferred the fourth issue to the finale of the series of my favourite character.

Heck yeah, mermaids! :3:

I like X-Men Red, but the art on this last issue was atrocious. I can't pinpoint why this issue was so much worse than the rest, but that's how it felt.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wine has to meet specific guidelines to be considered kosher. Other boozes might be acceptable unless it's passover, depending on what they're made out of.

To expand on this - wine is considered sacred. As such, there are far more stringent rules regarding it than other forms of alcohol. As a general rule, pretty much any alcoholic beverage is kosher (excluding wine) - there are a couple exceptions, but they're mostly liqueurs. The only one that immediately comes to mind is Jagermeister, I think - I don't remember why it's not kosher, I just remember that it isn't.

Kosher champagne does exist - some of it actually isn't too bad - none of it is on the level of high end non-kosher champagne.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

I've never read The Hidden Years, but wasn't that just a bunch of stories that were intended to take place during the hiatus of the X-Men comic? This is intended to replace comics that were published.

This is it precisely. It was conceived as a way to backfill issues 67-93 which were reprints because the book wasn't selling well enough to warrant new stories. I've read the Hidden Years, and much like pubic works project, I don't recall a single thing about them.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Metalshark posted:

How well do Excalibur, Dazzler and The New Mutants read by themselves? I'm probably gonna try reading chronologically the majority of X-Men stuff from Giant-Size X-Men until the debut of Gambit and do it "properly", but I thought I'd ask anyway in case I burn out or w/e.

For context, I'm knowledgeable about a lot of major Claremont-era stories, and I also split off X-Force and Cable from the other 90s titles on a 90s => mid-2000s X-Men chronological read I'm currently enjoying, so I thought I'd go back and get the full lead-in for Cable and X-Force before I read them (beyond the numerous 90s crossover issues I read, naturally).

Excalibur is fairly self-contained. Early on there's an Inferno crossover, but they're kind of off doing their own thing during it, so reading the other books isn't really necessary. The Davis/Claremont era is a ton of fun. After Davis leaves, Scott Lobdell takes over, and while it's not quite as good as the Davis stuff, it still manages to maintain some of the level of levity. Lobdell leaves after 82 and Warren Ellis takes over the book completely shifts in tone. It's still mostly separate from the other X-Books.

New Mutants occasionally makes references to what's going on over in Uncanny X-Men, but again, not really necessary and can be enjoyed on their own. Claremont started the book and then Louise Simonson took over. It's very solid up until Liefeld starts drawing it with the introduction of Cable. Thankfully, that happens near the end of the run - if memory serves, it's issue 86/87 and the book ends at 100.

Dazzler is completely separate from everything and also pretty terrible. Even if you ignore the very dated subject matter (it's even worse than reading the 60's stuff), it's still not a very good book. Pretty sure you can pick up the entire series from any LCS's quarter/dollar bin. The graphic novel Dazzler: The Movie, which wraps up the comic is completely bizarre and borders on nonsensical. There is a callback to her series and graphic novel in Uncanny X-Men 260.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Metalshark posted:

Thanks everyone. I'll give Dazzler a go, but I guess there was a reason I've never heard much about it, beyond it being the longest female X-solo title.

I think it will basically come down to whether the properly old X-stuff might be a bit much for me, due to Claremont's wordiness and/or just it being dated in which case I'll maybe hop forward to when Rogue first appears. I actually read Inferno on it's own since it came up in Secret Wars and I know I like the Outback team from that, and Rogue's a favourite.

If I can make it through the 90s* and have a great time... (I'm about to hit Austen's run though... but in order with New X-Men it might not be too funky, and I do like Polaris. Feel free to tut in gentle concern now at my naivete.)

*Minus X-Man, Wolverine, Cable and X-Force since that I felt that would have been too much of an undertaking in one go, hence me looping back around when I catch up to where I've read the major X-Men series from in the mid-2000s.

Excalibur and New Mutants are definitely worth reading. Dazzler is a bit of trip if only because it's completely transparent how badly they wanted her to become a thing but she never really took off. The art is OK, but the writing is laughable. I know Claremont is overly wordy, but I've never had a problem getting through his prose. Then again, those were some of the first comics I ever read, so I've probably got a soft spot for it. I had a much harder time reading the issues from the 60's then I ever had with Claremont's stuff.

The 90's are pretty rough - Austen's run especially. In fact, it's pretty rough the whole way through for awhile.