Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The X-Men are back! Yeah, fine, they never actually left but they're still back! No more death clouds. No more viruses. No more No More Mutantses. The new X-Men initiative is to bring them back to being prominent heroes in the Marvel Universe. Here's our current lineup of X-Men books going forward.

X-Men: Gold

Writer: Marc Guggenheim
Artist: Ardian Syaf Nope. Nope. Nothing to see here.
Kitty Pryde has moved the X-Mansion right into the middle of Central Park in order to put the X-Men right back in middle of all goings on in the Marvel Universe. Joining Kitty on this team are Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Rachel Summers, and Old Man Logan. Kitty's main objective is to get this team out in public and change the perception of Mutants so that they can be seen as heroes instead of continuing to live on the fringes of the Marvel Universe.

X-Men: Blue

Writer: Cullen Bunn
Artist: Jorge Molina
The time displaced X-Men are stuck in the present, possibly forever. They've tried to go back to their time only to find out they seemingly never left. Does this mean they're from a different reality altogether? Did the past get patched during Secret Wars leaving them an anomaly? Who knows! This team is the original five, Iceman, Beast, Angel, Cyclops, and led in the field by Marvel Girl. And yes they're very picky about using the codenames. Leading them from shadows however is Magneto who seems dead set on making the team live up to Xavier's dream of uniting Man and Mutant in harmony.

Astonishing X-Men

Writer: Charles Soule
Artist: Rotating Team
Soule has stated that this title has a very specific story to tell. He likens it to a mystery or puzzle box where each issue will reveal a new layer of the story. Also saying the book can and will touch on all corners of the X-Men's history. The team for this book is Archangel, Bishop, Fantomex, Old Man Logan, Rogue, Gambit, Psylock, and Mystique.

Weapon X

Writer: Greg Pak
Artist: Greg Land
We get a good and a bad Greg on this book. Maybe it will even out? This looks like a spiritual successor to X-Force in that it has the big meanie Mutants. Featuring Old Man Logan, Sabretooth, Domino, Warpath, Lady Deathstrike, and Mystique. This book is said to pit the team against a revived and revised version of the Weapon X program.

Generation X

Writer: Christina Strain
Artist: Amilcar Pinna
This is a team of misfits even to the X-Men. These are students that either have useless or dangerous powers and are not, and might never be, ready to join the X-Men. Jubilee leads a team consisting of Quentin Quire, Eye Boy, Benjamin Deeds, Nature Girl, Bling, and Nathanial Carver.

Cable

Writer: James Robinson
Artist: Carlos Pacheco
Cable is back and this series is basically being touted as Cable: Time Cop. Cable will be travelling through time righting wrongs as only he can.

Iceman

Writer: Sina Grace
Artist: Alessandro Vitti
This series focuses on the older Bobby Drake as he comes to terms with a lot of what has happened with him personally lately. The realization brought out by meeting his younger self that he's gay and has been hiding it even from himself and coming to terms with the incredible potential he has an Omega Level Mutant.

Jean Grey

Writer: Dennis Hopeless
Artist: Victor Ibanez
Jean Grey struggles to find her place in a new time with all the knowledge she has gained about her downfall and the Phoenix Force. She'll also reach out to others with ties to the Phoenix Force such as Rachel Summers and Quentin Quire.

All-New Wolverine

Writer: Tom Taylor
Artist: Leonard Kirk
This series continues the adventures of Laura and Gabby and shouldn't miss a beat. It's a great time to jump onto a great book if you haven't already!

Old Man Logan

Writer: Ed Brisson
Artist: Mike Deodata Jr.
Jeff Lemire is wrapping up his planned run on the title and leaving it in a great place. The title has been a real surprise for me as it's been consistently great and Lemire really carved out a nice little story for Logan here where he comes to terms with this new world while also closing some old ones wounds from his previous one.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I also liked Blue more than Gold, which is a big compliment because I loved Gold. I didn't read Weapon X because the team doesn't really grab me but it's Greg Pak so even saddled with Land it's probably worth a read once it hits Marvel Unlimited. I've never been a big X-Men fan but a lot of the books have hooks that have me interested. Right now I think from above I'll be picking up Blue, Gold, Astonishing, Cable, Jean Grey, Old Man Logan, and All New Wolverine. I might give the first issue or two of Iceman a try as well. Generation X is also a title I don't really have an interest in but I might also catch it on MU in six months.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pubic works project posted:

So was that supposed to be Wolverine that was fighting Wendigo at the end of X-Men Blue #1?

That was Jimmy Hudson. From the Ultimate X-Men. He's the son of Wolverine. No clue yet whether he's actually the Earth 1610 version who came to our world through Secret Wars shenanigans or whether it's a 616 version that up until just hadn't been revealed to exist. I'd bet it's more like Miles Morales where his history has kind of been transplanted to happening in the 616 universe.

EDIT: Scratch all that. I just read an interview that is indeed the 1610 Jimmy Hudson. He woke up in our universe with all his memories gone and like the rest of the Blue team is now stuck in a place that isn't his home.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 13, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jimmy Hudson was one of the characters I was really hoping would be brought over, along with 1610 Jessica Drew (I was also kind of hoping 1610 Cloak and Dagger replaced the 616 versions outright instead of co-existing) so I'm happy they did it. I had more than given up hope seeing as how it had been so long. And as said he fits more thematically with the team than Laura does and she's got her own great book going so there's no real reason to add her back to the team.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pubic works project posted:

What's the difference between the two versions of C&D?

Not much really, but C&D from 616 have pretty much been absent aside from a couple one offs the last decade and I really enjoyed them in the Ultimate Universe so I thought taking the characters that had actually been around and used effectively and transplanting them into the 616 would have made sense. Especially if they were supporting characters for Miles considering they were on a team together with him and Bombshell who did make the jump.

But now that Cloak and Dagger are getting a show I imagine the 616 versions will be popping up in something soon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If someone wanted to do the Herculean task of coming up with an agreed upon order to all the recent X-Men stuff since like I guess New X-Men or something I'll add it to the OP. But I don't recommend it because it'll probably cause a brain bleed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That sounds more like an assumption on their part than anything else. Because I'm pretty sure nobody really blamed Marvel for what happened. And besides that the reception to the actual books themselves has been really good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gymer posted:

Just saw unlettered preview of Astonishing and I haven't been following Uncanny Avengers, is Rogue back to being unable to touch people again?

She has been for all of Uncanny, so I guess it happened before that.

If this preview is anything to go by I'm going to end up loving the Jean Grey comic.

http://www.cbr.com/jean-grey-1/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's plenty of other companies writing grim dark books so if that's what you're looking for you're in the wrong place. The series is about a younger Jean trying to escape that kind of future. It's just not for you dude.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just read X-Men Blue #4. Loved it. Very cool seeing a bunch of the Ultimate Mutants survived. Especially like seeing Derek Morgan there as he was another 1610 original I liked. Very surprised to see Ultimate Quicksilver survived.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I enjoyed the first issue of Cable despite it being 100% setup. But him jumping around time collecting weapons that shouldn't belong where they're at should be fun. My favorite Cable run was when he and Hope were traveling through time so I'm ready to see him jumping around again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rochallor posted:

Gen X was the one I was most looking forward to, but yeah, it's been rather mediocre so far. I really dislike the way Quentin is drawn.

Also, Jubilee's definitely still a vampire, right? She definitely was like two months ago in Hellcat. But she's spent two issues so far standing around in the sunlight like it's nobody's business.

She got a magical necklace a few years back that protects her from sunlight.

EDIT: And that's what you get for reading multiple threads in different tabs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

no, I get that. But the way he acted in Thor was pretty much perfect. He did the right thing, but he let everyone knew how beneath him it was and how dumb they were to even try it without him.

Well Jason Aaron has been writing him for years now. The new writer on this book is basically new to not only these characters but writing in general. I'd say if you're interested in the book then give her an arc or so to find her voice for the characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I remember liking X-Cutioner's song, but it was also one of the last X-Men crossovers I read for years and years so maybe I didn't like as much as I think I did?

Anyway I read Iceman #1 since Marvel gave it away for free. And it's great. So I'm pretty much buying every X-Book except Gen X and Weapon X at this point. I don't think I've ever liked this many X-Books being published at once. I still plan on reading Soule's book and if they drop a Peter David X-Factor book I'll be all over that as well.

So far Blue and Jean Grey are easily the best of the runs, but that's no knock on Gold, Iceman, or Cable at all. I really like this malfunctioning Super Sentinel story in Gold right now for instance where it's been attacking anyone with a genetic mutation at all no matter how small. You have a third nipple? A Super Sentinel is coming to kill you, sorry. It seems like such a no-brainer of a story that I have to wonder if it's ever been done before. Plus it put a bit of the spotlight on Rachel Summers and we even got her hallucinating Future Franklin which is the kind of callbacks I love.

All New Wolverine is still as great as it has been and I really liked the first issue of Old Man Logan with the new creative team as well. So all is good in the X-Men world as far as I'm concerned right now.

X-O fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 25, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's the X-Men Books/Stories in Legacy

All New Wolverine #25 - Orphans of X
Astonishing X-Men #7 - A Man Called X
Cable #150 - The Newer Mutants
Generation X #85 - OG Gen X
Iceman #6 - Champions Reassembled
Jean Grey #8 - Psych War
Old Man Logan #31 - The Scarlet Samurai
Weapon X #12 - Nuke-clear War
X-Men: Gold #13 - Mojo Worldwide Part 1
X-Men: Blue #13 - Mojo Worldwide Part 2

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was already reading Totally Awesome Hulk so I decided to start picking up Weapon X when it started the crossover since I'd already heard good things about the book and I really enjoy it. And now that Fred Van Lente is once again teaming with Pak for this book it means I'm very likely to keep reading it. Right now that means the only X Book I haven't tried is Generation X and I'm still really liking them all. Blue sputtered a bit with the Secret Invasion tie-in but I imagine now that it's done it'll get back on track. Jean Grey is my favorite of the bunch by far though. Just a great book for a character I've never really liked that much to be honest.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's even better now somehow because after taking up magic his fuckups are that much more hilarious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X-Men Blue is probably my favorite team book that Marvel is doing now that Ultimates is done. The Secret Empire issues were a bit rocky but I love the team they have set up and the time displaced X-Men have turned into some of my favorite characters in Marvel books right now. Which is weird considering I never cared for the older incarnations that much at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Even though it was tough to read I'm really glad the writer decided to write Bobby's scene with his parents the way it was written. After everything they'd been through in the comics it really would have rung false if they had just been ok or even just ambivalent to him telling them that. It was tough to read but it was the right way to do it. And the ending bit doesn't change any of those feelings even though it does make the reader feel a bit better. I think it was handled really well. I think you can tell Sina Grace did his best to handle it with care. I'm really digging the character work in this book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sinteres posted:

If they want to use Legacy to get back to something closer to the classic conception of characters, a soft reboot for the X-Men line that uses the avatar of rebirth to bring back major characters like Cyclops and maybe Wolverine (though his healing factor could always just kick in anyway) would seem like a pretty reasonable way to do it.

No thanks. I'm very happy with the Cyclops and Wolverine we have now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hope and vaseline posted:

He had some pretty good moments in Peter David's short lived All New X-Factor.

One of the only times I've actually not minded Gambit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

It not you, it Gambit.

Completely agreed. It definitely Gambit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Old Hank is good as long as he's paired with Wonder Man. Otherwise he's useless. I like Young Hank though as of now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm pretty sure Wolverine's body is in possession of The Avengers or one of the X-Men groups. I distinctly remember that being addressed in one of the earlier issues of Old Man Logan that Captain America was in. I might be making this up, though I can almost swear it happened.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like everything in the OP except Generation X which I have not read. Weapon X I jumped on during the crossover with Hulk.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I feel like this is a probation worthy offense.

I don't really have any opinion of Quire either way so no.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought Lemire's Thanos was great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing theoretical about EMPEROR VULCAN! is that theoretically someday I guess he could be in a good comic. But it's so unlikely that it's not really worth trying.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is vulcan still in the space hole

Most importantly he's in a memory hole. Hopefully for good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rochallor posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Havok has been shown as not evil anymore since Axis? He's pretty clearly still a bad guy in this week's Blue.

Nah he’s been pretty consistently villiany since Axis.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Is Axis worth reading? I enjoyed Superior Ironman and the Carnage and Hobgoblin minis and just did a reread of Ewing's Mighty Avengers which made me curious about it.

Most people would probably say no but I think it's a fun throwaway story. Most of it besides Havok and Sabretooth has either been undone or forgotten about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Honestly I'd like to see them be a little less political. Less "Man hates Mutants" storylines or mutant genocide stuff. I know that's the crux of so much X-Men stuff but maybe just get away from it for a while. Do more straight up superhero stuff. Preferably some more space stuff, I always like X-Men in space. I'd like a new X-Factor, though Astonishing may morph into a replacement for that with Havok in the lead.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

rantmo posted:

I'm still not sold on the name change but the first issue of X-23 is everything I'd hoped it would be.

I actually just had posted in the main Marvel thread how much I felt like the book hadn't skipped a beat with the new writer. I don't mind the name change back to X-23, personally I think that's a cooler designation than Wolverine anyway. I know why people don't like it, the whole thing about her growing past it in her own mind, but just from a selfish standpoint I think it's a better name.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Synthbuttrange posted:

thats not a name thats a number

Again, I said I get it. I just think it sounds better. I have no problem with her being either, but regardless of how many other Wolverines are or aren't running around I just prefer X-23 because I like it better.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Friends and family are calling her that in universe instead of Laura, when they're not on mission?

She only called her X-23 when they were fighting whoever they were fighting at the beginning and called Laura all the other times. She even accidentally calls her Laura during the mission and then says ‘uh I mean X-23’ and then Laura calls her HB. So it’s very much meant to be a just during missions thing. The Cuckoos also just called her Laura.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Psylocke being back in her original body is a good decision. I don't know why it's taken this long to make that weird situation go away.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was the best thing the Phoenix has ever done. Kill him as many times as you like and it wouldn't be enough.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really enjoyed Extermination. Even though I'm one of the bigger supporters of the Young X-Men and them staying and knowing this will lead to them leaving.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just read the Astonishing X-Men Annual and I kind of loved it. I don't know why, but Charles being a complete rear end in a top hat just works for me. Normally he's an rear end in a top hat but it's all the hidden stuff behind the image of the noble X-Men Founder. But him just being a straight up piece of poo poo works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I actually have enjoyed it. Especially what Rhyno mentions above.