Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jedi posted:

Maybe, maybe not. Very few group projects survive a split up of the hosts - even one as amicable as theirs. I sincerely hope they do continue because it's one of the few podcasts I actually listen to religiously. It looks like Miles will be doing a Thor podcast during the hiatus with Elisabeth Allie which I'm looking forward to. Despite not really being into Thor, the two of them have always had great chemistry together when she's filled in for Jay - so I'll probably enjoy it. If I had to wager a guess, post-hiatus I'd say we're getting Miles and Elisabeth X-Plain the X-Men.

Edit:

Am I the only one who doesn't care about Fantomex at all? I've just never enjoyed the character.

She has a great voice too, which has always been the best thing about Jay & Miles, both hosts had voices that didn't grate with that nasal nerd whine. I mainly listen to podcasts while going to sleep, so that's a big bonus in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was talking about Elizabeth.

EDIT: Don't worry about it, I don't get upset about being called out when I gently caress up, it's the only way to improve.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

I'm digging GenX but the Aeon Fluxx art is not working for me.

Yeah not a fan of the art and the roll back on the bit of maturity quier picked up in wolverine and the x-men is annoying.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
no, I get that. But the way he acted in Thor was pretty much perfect. He did the right thing, but he let everyone knew how beneath him it was and how dumb they were to even try it without him.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

I will never get the affection people have for that character, he was such a petty sociopathic gently caress up in his first few appearances I've just never been able to see the attraction.

It helps that I don't like much of Morrison X-Men so I don't really remember it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

This was also the second time a robot named Nanny infantalized the X-men.

dude, it was literally on the last page and spawned this whole line of discussion

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
She just vomitted out Wonder Man after kissing Deadpool a few months back

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
no. Cyclops did nothing wrong, these guys are just dicks.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
so yeah, they're having Emma attempt to turn teenage scott into adult scott, complete with him loving her. What the gently caress?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NmareBfly posted:

I just wanna state that I am Real Annoyed that X-men Gold appears to be trying to make Kitty + Colossus a thing again as well as pushing Rachel and Kurt together. I know I've been listening to too much Jay and Miles but come on people.

Same I really like the Colossus/Domino pairing, and seeing that dropped for a stale rehash is annoying.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

The original Wolverine got infected by the Brood multiple times and his healing factor always fought it off.

Yeah but this is a little advanced

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

They could have had a scene where Elsie Dee blew up and he held the wreckage like Superman on the cover of Crisis 7.

I'm still amazed that it was only a few years ago that I recognized the pun with Elsie Dee

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Aftert this week's Jean Gray, I'm more thinking it's old jeans spirit possessing Emma

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about Jimmy Hudson is how he just willed the adamantium onto his claws

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No, wait. I meant least favorite. That was such loving bullshit.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Na, that's dumb. Having families of characters is the best thing Marvel took from DC

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

The X-Men Gold Annual was pretty fun, and it was great to see Excalibur back together, though I'm not sure Guggenheim really got their personalities. Brian, in particular, just kind of came off as a doofus. Still, it was better than I would have expected from Guggenheim. There was some weird contradictions, though, with Maggie. Meggan complains that she's already smarter than her, but then she has to ask what a baby and blue are.

Yeah but, as someone else here posted in the recent past, I am *so* loving sick of hyperintelligent children.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So was Professor X ever actually in the astral plane? Was it Shadow King fighting himself or just a really elaborate charade to trick the x-men?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

davebo posted:

And at least they weren't just vampire versions of existing X-men with "blood" affixed to their names.

Take that back about Bloodstorm! I miss vampire Jubilee, too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

why're karma and mirage in bad tattoos.

also its almost a new mutants reunion!
they were infected by the transmode virus

why were the new mutants on the enemies list?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I was still onboard Uncanny until this past issue. Wolverine just straight up impales Hope and Cyclops loses an eye?

Also, that weird scene where the final panel on one page has Forearm smashing Cyclops form behind screaming TRAITOR, and you turn the page to see the two teams facing off against each other in a fashion where there's no possible way the previous panel could have happened.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

In which we learn Kieron Gillan was definitely the smart one.

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1157412042292322306?s=19

I mean, it wasn't until I saw the naming scheme for the different time periods that I caught it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fritzler posted:

Ok. Second Rec I’ve gotten to not read this. Is Age of X-Man good? I thought that was supposed to be decent and was only reading the part that led to that. I can just jump to age of X-man if that’s good though.

Yeah, just do that. AoXM was okay, but most of the tie ins were actually really fun.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

/\/\/\this is the new "read avengers 200"

Archyduchess posted:

X-Tremists was excellent, one of my favorite titles of the year.

It made BLOB a good character. loving Blob!!!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Archyduchess posted:

Except of course for all the comics where he's not like that. Being a fan of superhero comics is always an exercise in selective reading and I think you and I have selected very different readings.

That's certainly an interpretation of the basic premise of the character, and one that, as E&C pointed out, a lot of writers have gone to. I just think it's dull and a waste, and the most obvious and easy thing you can do with someone positioned as the more radical alternative to the reformist good guys. As a member of a marginalized group, one that the X-Men comics have often turned to for allegorical heft, I like it when the character set up to provide an alternative to ameliorating the powers that be gets to be something other than a pantomime villain.

Claremont and Gillen had really compelling takes on the character to me. He made sense in their hands as somebody who'd been really traumatized by violence and oppression and was less patient with the long-game than some of the X-Men.

I think Dr. Doom is a different animal completely because his basic elevator schtick is that he's a supervillain but with the resources, powers, and Kantorowiczean sense of self-sovereigny of a king. I agree that sympathetic portrayals of him tend towards the icky. But I think that's because the concept is intrinsically villainous in a way that Magneto's doesn't necessarily have to be.

I like both sympathetic Doom and sympathetic Magneto, but for different reasons.

Magneto makes sense. Mutants need a Magneto, someone who isn't afraid to use violence against their oppressors. Peaceful movements cannot succeed without the implicit threat of violence form more militant movements.

Doom I like because his story is always a tragedy, always a victim of hubris. Doom could be one of the greatest heroes around, but his ego will ALWAYS get in the way. It seeing how far he goes down the path of good before falling that provides the entertainment to me.

Having either of these characters be sympathetic or acting on the side of the angels also does NOT mean that they can't be antagonists. Doom won't concede to anyone elses plans or vision. Magneto is often time too willing to use violence as the first, last, and only solution. Even when these characters are pointed at the same beneficial goal as our heroes, even when they're acting for the greater good, they can be an onstacle and cause more problems than they solve.

To me, that will always be more interesting than just cackling supervillian who wants to rule the world.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

danbanana posted:

Xavier wearing a pith hat on his tour of Krakoa... Cassandra Nova wore a similar one.

What I found interesting about that is that we never see X's head during that scene. There are a few times where he takes his hat off, but it's in shadow. Combine that with the full cerebro helmet he's wearing and I think there's something going on with X's head. Maybe he a black brain like the one we saw in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Billzasilver posted:

Hickman did a lot of work making the FF functional again, instead of Mr Fantastic going off and building Super Prison Blacksites for the “greater good”

Iron Man is all over the loving place, but I like the stories where he’s reformed and trying to act with more self-control. Ironheart is a good influence on him.

I haven’t read any Namor in about 5 years, idk what he’s like these days.

oh... oh honey, I have some bad news...

(I'm actually enjoying Invaders, but hard to see Namor coming back from this anytime soon)