Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The beauty of that joke is that 1) there's no reason beans would be more effective with his powers than anything else, and 2) it can be repeated in later comics and will only get funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

X-O posted:

She has been for all of Uncanny, so I guess it happened before that.

If this preview is anything to go by I'm going to end up loving the Jean Grey comic.

http://www.cbr.com/jean-grey-1/

That preview does not inspire me at all. I hate that there are a bunch of BAMFs that teleport people all over the place, and here it's all so the writer can work in a reference to eating ramen in Japan, which is just nerd trendy. Then sudden oh haha there's the wrecking crew ruining her lunch, who is she, Spider-Man? It's just so loving contrived. Even her inner monologue about not wanting to be that 'other' Jean comes off as uninspired. Oh and she has four 'brothers' and brothers are by definition awful but hers have super powers so they're super awful.

I think I just vomitted in my mouth. Marvel has not been clicking for me outside of a few comics and the X-Men series has been plagued by this kiddie-teen bullshit since Wolverine split from Cyclops. I guess I had my day of grim-dark Cyclops saving the Earth and now it's time to have more wacky adventures and ponder the meaning of adolescence, but I'm done with this poo poo. 80's New Mutants had more of an edge than this crap.

It feels like all these writers are writing to get jobs scripting the next animated series so nothing loving matters, and it's all just "Haha, look at how fun our comic is!"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

X-O posted:

There's plenty of other companies writing grim dark books so if that's what you're looking for you're in the wrong place. The series is about a younger Jean trying to escape that kind of future. It's just not for you dude.

Well I don't want to read other companies. I want to read about X-Men stories where the stakes actually feel like they matter. I would totally read a book about a character that wants to escape a potential evil future self, like Evan or Iron Lad. Jean Grey still bears the taint of Bendis poor writing of her so I don't care as much and the writing was so juvenile that I care even less if the exposition is going to just be slapped in my face before we have a random brawl for the sake of having action in the comic.

edit: Even the dark stuff, like Psylocke "killing" Magneto is falling flat, so it's not even that they are telling all kiddie stories but the ones that are more adult are so poorly executed and fail to have any significant meaning. Maybe it's retcon fatigue.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 28, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I also hate when comics are fun.

You can do fun in a way that's not fluff. I love New Wasp, and Squirrel Girl.This was just superficial and callow. It's like the paint by numbers version of how to write an X-Men comic.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Dreqqus posted:

I mean, I like those books too but they are fluffy as all get out...

Fluff in the sense of being generic. I can't think of the word I want to use but this feels very...entry level, base line, unambitious writing. Like the writer is going down a checklist of comic tropes.

In the case of the Wasp, the writer has a really good voice for her that allows her personality to shine through. Similarly Squirrel Girl has a good handle on the comedy beats. Here it's just writing exposition into thought bubbles rather than giving her a voice. She's talking about herself rather than in a way that doesn't create any sort of voice for the character, and nor is it written in a way that even sounds remotely like anyone thinks.

Those other books are at least trying to stand out, if Wasp's character wasn't endearing or the humor of Squirrel Girl wasn't funny then those books wouldn't be enjoyable to me.