Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
A fortress nation for a persecuted people that offers technology to the world but also threatens mass destruction if they're ever attacked. That combined with the prominence of Jerusalem in this issue makes me wonder just how far Hickman's going to go with the Israel parallels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Archyduchess posted:

Oh good, one Fables just wasn't enough.

I mean, with how sinister everyone was acting in this issue I wouldn't count on it being as hilariously pro-Israel as Fables was. "You have new gods now" isn't exactly the speech of a sympathetic figure.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Yeah def, I wonder where he's gonna go with it

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Archyduchess posted:

Oh for sure I think he's not on that level, and is a more sophisticated writer, but I also think his Avengers stuff in particular was brought down a little by a certain uncritical orientation towards power, even if he was pretty sharp on writing about power's effects.

I guess I'm cautious but planning on keeping reading. The stuff about the new mutant language made me roll my eyes a bit because, yes, almost every culture has, at least, a linguistic niche carved out within the space of an existing language, but a new alphabet illegible to human eyes seems like a weird direction to take the basic allegorical premise of mutant comics. I don't write in gay runes, although god, I wish I did, I just have, at best, a handful of slang words or shibboleths that might signify differently to people within and without that community. Even something like Polari, you know, was designed to be fairly easily picked up by English speakers who cared to learn it.

Sure, but I think that's down to X-Men having historically been an allegory to many different groups depending on the era and writer. African-Americans during civil rights, Jews, queer people, all have distinct histories, have suffered distinct persecutions and, have developed distinct means of resistance. One of the strengths (and frankly one of the weaknesses in the wrong hands) of X-Men is that it can serve as allegories to all of these with different stories. I think in this case with it going so hard in the direction of Zionism/post-colonial nationalism creating a distinct language makes sense. Modern Hebrew and Hindi were both to an extent artificially created to serve nation-building projects. Even standard French was imposed on people that spoke myriad different dialects and laguages (e.g. Breton, Occitan, Basque) in order to build the modern French nation. If he's telling a story about nation-building then I think language is a p smart aspect to build into it

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 25, 2019

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
So are we meant to believe that the entire history of mutants we've seen in comics up to now was just a previous loop?

EDIT: Actually I guess not since its only Moira X that gave birth to Proteus

EDIT 2: Also if the Apocalypse war timeline didn't end then how do we have more Moiras after that?

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 7, 2019

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
This is the first time in a long time that I've anticipated Wednesday releases to the point of keeping my ipad next to my bed on Tuesday nights so I can read the new issue before I get up on Wednesday mornings. I love whatever the gently caress is going on

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

hcreight posted:

Any guesses on what's up with Life 6?

I was thinking that maybe Life 6 will turn out to be the timeline we know and love while what's happening in HoX is 4 lifetimes after that, very close to the known timeline but with whatever changes Moira and Xavier have planned.. Either that or something really out there. Whatever it is there's obv a reason it's been left out and it's going to be a Very Big Deal

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Avicus posted:

Maybe Moira VI teams up with Sinister. I don't want to think about how her power would work with clones...

Or with children, if they inherited her power. We know she had at least some in timeline 1

Rochallor posted:

I was kind of thinking Sinister just because he's the only major X-villain Moira isn't recorded as seeking out, besides obviously unhelpful groups like the Purifiers. Either that or maybe a DoFP timeline, since she really goes hard after the Trasks in the next life.

Sinister is mentioned in the Apocalypse war timeline but yeah, that's more Apoc going after him than Moira herself

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
the crazydaysandnights-style blind items were very very good

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1172003737289875456

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1172065755321573376

Gillen and Hickman have been tweet-flirting about him writing Sinister again and idk if there's anything more to it but..... God I hope there is

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

The Question IRL posted:

The fact that the Sinister Secrets are written in the exact same style as gossip column were written is perfect

It's so great, I loved it

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Endless Mike posted:

Probably nothing. Gillen has been quite open in his newsletter than he's done with work-for-hire for the foreseeable future. (:rip: Uber)

I totally get why he would be but, what a shame

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I might be stretching here but does the fact that Cyclops, Jean, and Wolverine have connecting bedrooms imply they’re all together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I don't think they've been around/alive at the same time until now.

But also lol that Scott and Logan have bedrooms flanking Jean's.

With connecting doors! They’re the only 3 bedrooms with doors like that