Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To be fair, there hasn't been an Uncanny X-Men in over a year, so it actually makes sense to relaunch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That tweet is 100% of what we know right now. I doubt the other titles are going anywhere though. The color titles all have pretty specific focuses, and Astonishing is off doing whatever it feels like.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah it wasn’t particularly great (but not bad) and it’s ending with a Greg Land issue which is Garbo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gee who could have possibly guessed that X was actually the Shadow King?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Captain America and Superman both have

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marvel has an interview with Ed Brisson about the upcoming Extermination miniseries coming up. Sounds like it might be the end of the Original Five.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/89071/ed-brisson-reveals-extermination/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davebo posted:

Yes. Bring original Jean back. Bring original Wolvie back. Kill off these time-displaced X-Men duplicates. Suck the old school 80's/90's fans like me back into the fold. I'm not going to run to the comic shop every week to plunk down $4 an issue, but I will buy digital collections when they go on sale.

So basically you are not at all the person they want.

(And Wolverine is already back.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

They want people that will buy single issues every week, not a guy that only buys it on sale months after its out.

Yeah this is what I was trying to get at.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think they will ever go fully-digital, but I do suspect digital sales will eventually be the main driver of comics sales, and b&m stores will mostly be selling stuff beyond printed comics (and, realistically, the most successful ones at this point are already doing that).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/996778839308095488

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love Morrison's run, but it wouldn't exist without Claremont's. It was explicitly written as a response to the legacy Claremont left on the series and was intended to move X-Men past that. It didn't work, as Morrison's legacies at Marvel tended not to, but that was the point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just start at Giant Sized X-Men #1 and read until you lose interest.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

This still doens't disprove her native accent isn't all "that's wikkid retardid".

She's upper-class Bostonian, not a poor Southie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It was not a terrible comic by any means, but yeah I don't know what Marvel was thinking with those covers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You'd think right?

No he'd draw dicks on all the women.

All of them.

It's not even that big of a deal. Something like 8% of kids do it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You know none of the people who bitched about Iceman being gay would say a word because lesbians are hot.

Uh people who get angry when someone dares to publish a comic featuring women? Sure they would.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John Byrne is apparently drawing an "alt-history" version of X-Men picking up after Uncanny #137 and "publishing" it on his fan forum.

https://www.newsarama.com/40823-john-byrne-returns-to-the-x-men-in-alt-history-elsewhen-run.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davebo posted:

Uhh, am I following that thread right? It just starts out with a battle wrapping up then Wolverine immediately trying to spank a teenage Kitty Pryde? I mean, it's a great idea for a project to throw up on the internet but holy poo poo get someone else to write it for you please.
That does appear to be what's happening

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yo just inject that Mojo book into my veins

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've never read The Hidden Years, but wasn't that just a bunch of stories that were intended to take place during the hiatus of the X-Men comic? This is intended to replace comics that were published.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Favourite Claremontism? "Ah'm nigh-invulnerable when ah'm blastin'!" ranks pretty high for me.

Was "Only my ruby-quartz visor can contain my optic blasts!" Claremont or was that from the Silver Age book?

"No quarter given." "And none asked."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also her original body died of the Legacy virus

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rick posted:

Wolverine transitions to his rightful place as Marvel's lead villain by starting out a plan to make all the wolverine's on Earth's claws hot all the time.

oh no jonathan

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Rockslide!

Hell yeah!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

What happened to Leinil Francis Yu :(

e: His interiors for this month's Cap look way better than those.

He inked his own work there. I think he needs the right inker (or just go straight to colors), and this one isn't really a good match.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Extermination's entire conceit is to get rid of the Original Five, so it'll probably also bring back Real Scott.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

they're both real fictional people

:thunk:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Covok posted:

I know there are reading order to take a macro View and kind of just tell you what series to read, but is there any like really in-depth accurate reading orders for X-Men that tells you every series in the order of which they were released and when they cross over at what issue and what needs to be up to on all the series for that cross over to make sense?

I'm considering an actual real deal start from zero like Jay and Miles.

Perhaps things will finally make sense then.
I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This isn't even the first time Cable has killed Cable!

Sorry, discussion threads don't get tags.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davebo posted:

Swung by a comic store today but they only had the normal yellow costume cover for Wolverine. I really had my heart set on the brown/orange. For some reason I thought they were 4 covers produced in equal amounts but I guess not. A friend who contributes to comicbookdb.com says they already have 25 different covers logged for it.

According to this site there's no fewer than 52 variant covers including a blank one. As for the one you're looking for, I can't find anything about specific production numbers, but Midtown is selling it for regular price if you want it. It doesn't look like retailers were able to order specific variants (though I could be wrong), so it's possible your store just didn't get many even though they're being produced in equal numbers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, considering she just conned the X-Men into helping her hostilely take over the Hellfire Club, I don't think she'll be leading them any time soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, it's the same price as the physical copy. Still dumb, but it's not like you're paying more by going digital.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Wolverine is the Phoenix in Jason Aaron's Thor story that is set millions of years in the future. In Avengers 700, also by Aaron, Wolverine shows up at the end of the issue with looking like his normal self but with the Phoenix powers. He also talks about how he's been alive for eons though. So what's going on is anybody's guess.

I'm pretty sure that was future Phoenixerine time traveling.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I do find it weird that Extermination and X-Men: Disassembled are running simultaneously. Was Extermination supposed to be over by now?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is that uh zombie Banshee

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alaois posted:

drawn by Phil Noto, because who else could you get to draw the 90s but done to look like the 60s

okay gently caress time to stop fantasy booking a nonexistent comic

Mike Allred

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought the O5 were a weird story choice but they turned out to be fun characters that obviously had a time limit which was a bummer. Resetting everything is dumb.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It’s bad but I keep reading. Definitely dropping when it goes to monthly tho.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I do wonder if they felt Avengers: No Surrender was successful enough that they should do something similar to relaunch the X-Men. I know A:NS wasn't particularly well-received around here, but it was miles better than what's going on in UXM right now. It actually felt like there was some level of stakes and constant movement in the plot. It even gave time for smaller character moments like the talk between Jarvis and Banner. Maybe that group of writers meshed better (or are just plain better writers) than this group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh you're one of those.