Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nah, I don't like Fantomex either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That story took place when Cable was kind of an unknown and X-Force was seen as something of a terrorist group, and Cable was seen as leading the former New Mutants down the wrong path.

Stryfe thought himself to be the real Nathan Summers, and thought that Scott sent him away to the future to save his own life, when in reality Stryfe is the clone and Scott sent Nathan to the future because it was the only way to save him from the techno-organic virus. This is why Stryfe is loving with Scott and Jean, because he thought they were selfish for their actions, when it was actually selflessness.

This was also the first time in the comics we had confirmation that Cable was Scott's son.

Stryfe also tricked Sinister into opening something which he promised would contain the DNA of Scott and Jean's kid, which Sinister has always wanted, but it was actually the Legacy Virus.

X-Cutioner's Song was pretty much just set up to confirm the Cable is Nathan Summers theory, and Stryfe was Cable's clone.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-Men Blue is really good. I just hope they add another female cast member to the team pretty soon. And please avoid another Scott/Jean/Wolverine love triangle.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lee and Kirby's Fantastic Four is probably the best run ever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-Men: Blue was good because Polaris is back in her best costume.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Original X-Men are here to stay. They've already established they can't go back because they're already there.

And that's fine with me. I've enjoyed Blue a lot.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

Also when in the gently caress are we gonna find out that the Madrox dupe(s?) living on their own is/are still alive and somehow got the power to duplicate when the Prime Madrox died, or that Prime Madrox wasn't actually on Muir Island when the Big Dumb Idiot Thing happened that ostensibly killed off my favourite character that isn't cloned from Wolverine or a living totem of stone and awesomeness.
tldr BRING BACK JAMIE, YOU MOOKS. It'd be the easiest thing on the planet to handwave away!

Peter David will take care of this sometime in the future. No worries. He went off to live happily with Layla, remember? And she wasn't there, so the real Jamie is still enjoying life in Iowa with his cool wife.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's a strong creative team.

They better be bringing Old Scott back too. :doom:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't much care for Lemire's Thanos, and dropped it after the first arc.

Anyway, Marvel put out the redacted cover for X-Men Red #1. Wolverine is definitely in there.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/930104418099433472

I'm gonna guess that's Blink on the right. The flying person up above looks like they have pointy ears and that seems like a classic Namor pose.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why is he wearing a shirt? Shirtless Namor all day.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Phoenix should just bring Scott back and have him be the new host.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If you gave me a choice between having Jean back or having Scott back, then I'd keep Jean loving dead.

Or they could bring them both back and either give them a nice healthy relationship, or have them realize they don't work well together and have an amicable break-up. Either way works because neither has been done before.

And yeah, Teen Scott has a thing for Bloodstorm and the feeling is mutual, but that's as far as it's gone. Bloodstorm is a pretty fun character.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Phoenix should now just be like "well poo poo if you're gonna reject me I'll just bring Scott back and bond with him!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The blue and gold X-Factor costumes were baller. I liked her red version, too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

IUG posted:

I thought it was a callback to when Nightcrawler was recruited. Especially since he's there to get them out of there.

It's the same group that's been constantly following him since then. They're really committed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Asrar's great, ya weridos.

I agree. He's one of my favorite artists and the main reason I picked up the book.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Young Beast constantly owning and telling old Beast how much he sucks never gets old.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Loki also wielded Mjolnir once.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I like the time displaced X-men, but the only one I cared about was Jean, but with regular Jean back, their time is up.

They can all go back but Scott. Unless they bring old Scott back.

There must always be a Cyclops.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

This makes me want to check out some classic X Men. I know the Dark Phoenix saga is THE X men story, but are there any other recommendations?

A couple of the other major hits are God Loves, Man Kills and Days of Future Past.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pryde of the X-Men predicted an Australian Wolverine.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wanderer posted:

Cyclops was Flint, though. Or maybe Duke. One of the two.

Cyclops was Duke, which I think sounded all wrong for him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cyclops returns. Gets back with Emma. All the X-Men get along again and do superhero stuff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm just waiting for Marvel to hire me so I can write X-Men Summers which is Cyclops, Havok, Jean, Cable, Rachel, Corsair, and Ruby on vacation together.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Alaois posted:

drat, Hope left out in the lurch, she'll remember that

Hope is off pranking Stryfe by leading him to terrible vacation spots. And even if Gabriel shows up they'll all ignore him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It makes total sense for Emma to adopt an accent that makes people think "rich, aloof, and sophisticated" since that's what she wants to project herself as.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I always thought that was the dumbest excuse to make her posh.
Why not just have her mimics a rich person from a 1980s comedy.

If she talked like Thurston Howell III that would also be acceptable.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They were the Z-Men all along!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

John Woo should've directed a Gambit and Rogue movie in the late 90s, would've been glorious!

Ant movie with them would have been glorious because it not Woo, it Gambit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just so long as young Scott stays or old Scott comes back.

I need a Cyclops in my X-Men!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cabbit posted:

So wait, are we getting original flavor Madrox back-- the one with the M tattoo-- at the end of.. whatever the gently caress is going on in that Madrox mini, or am I looking into variant covers too much?

In following the mini-series, the odds are very high that it leads to some time-fuckery with OG Jamie returning.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

To the best my knowledge she's only kissed the young time displaced Scott Summers, which is probably enough for her to swear off men forever.

Edit, ignoring her underage prostitute comic origin

Nah, she only hugged Scott. If they had kissed, all others, men or women, wouldn't compare.

She dated/is dating young Angel though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

The only person I recall him dating is Surge.

In Young Avengers he came out as bi.

Everyone on Young Avengers was bisexual or gay. Though Kate might be attracted to America Chavez.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kate's new boyfriend seems pretty cool so they can just keep flirting for now.

Anyway, back to the X-Men. Have they followed up on that "Set it Right" Cyclops teaser from a while back?

https://www.newsarama.com/40814-cyclops-to-set-it-right-in-extermination.html

I guess that could be young Nate holding the visor. Maybe he's doing what he's doing in Extermination to bring old Scott back?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My opinion of Extinction will be solely on if it brings Scott back.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

They'll bring back Scott but kill Emma in the space Avengers thing she's in.

I'm willing to make that trade.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey look, I'd rather have Scott and Emma but the Scott part is the most important.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Plus I think a whole bit in the resurrection story was Jean realizing she's passed Scott?

(Which makes little sense for her since she's spent all that time in between dead, but whatever.)

I think it was in an annual she visited his grave and said she wished that he was with her.

My whole thing with Scott and Jean is this. If they decide to put them together, then great. Have them grow together, don't do any love triangles, and make them happy with each other. If they don't put them together, then have them as good friends on good terms who realize that their relationship just didn't work and there's no hard feelings, then give them whoever as love interests.

Just go with one or the other, skip the "will they/won't they" part, and don't recycle tired love triangles.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Extermination depends a lot on what the ending is to see if it's an effective/good story. Like, if it's setting the plate to clear off some extra characters and either bring Scott back or have young Scott stay, I'm fine with that.

I do like the original five though, so I'm fine if they do stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Adnor posted:

Only thing I want is that we get a new version of this image:

But with Hope pointing at Teen Cable saying "He's my father".

Then Teen Cable pointing at Teen Scott and saying "He's my father."