Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Glad I chose Jean Grey over Generation X. With others on Blue being the better team boook.

Was that the first time Hope met Jean? Obviously when Hope first appeared Jean was long dead, but not since the most recent X-force as young Jean was around then.
And of Course Illyana's brain is way to hosed up for anyone want to go poking around in, even briefly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Aarons Quentin is always the definitive for me. That first volume of Wolverine and the X-men is just so fantastic. Its too bad the second really screws the pooch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Yeah, that carnival Arc came out of no where, and was aggressively bad. Which is unfortunate because the rest of the run is really good. I believe even the phoenix 5 event gave us crab whales!

There's a weird thing with X-men and circuses, but then half of Marvel's silver age characters were all carnies, so who knows?

I did like Kitty being really confused on why she was dressed like a cowgirl for most of the issue though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kalli posted:

I think like Blob's first appearance was as part of a carnival of crime right?

And then after the new team gets introduced, Mesmero mind controls them all into circus freaks before they're kidnapped by Magneto for some ageplay.

Yep, that was exactly what I was thinking of. I forgot about the Obnoxio issue though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have head cannon ages for a lot of people, like Scott, when he went nuts, was 38. Kitty is 25, the New Mutants are for a most part between 21-24, though Sam was 26. School kids were all 16-17, as are the time displaced X-men.

It is weird when the comics explicitly say someone age, like in the most recently Scarlet Witch series, she was said to be 26.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Naw, Peak Claremont is during Asgardian Wars when Amora captured Illyana, and uh...stuff happens.

http://imgur.com/a/rNSMO

I don't think this is where Magik became my favorite of the New Mutants, but I hope its not.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

Since her first trip to Limbo there's no important part of Illyana's history that isn't, at best, problematic.

Yea I tend to focus more on current, slightly crazy lady with a big sword, Magik.

I do miss her bangs though.

Teen Storm is also what introduced Gambit. Though he wasn't skeevy to her, just noticed her natural ability at theeving. Even thought Gambit is like the bar on 5th street, they don't ask for ID, and nether does Gambit, ya hear?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wanderer posted:

IIRC, she was meant to be a sheltered 18 when she went to Xavier for help.

Which I find weird because the first time I know I saw her was when Wolverine and the then depowered Ms Marvel go to the Pentegon and run into her

She sure as hell looks older than 18. My guess is she just got younger as she drained more peoples abilities. Or the artists wanted another hot redhead on the team, and every time she was drawn she grew younger until we got the Jim Lee Bombshell Rogue that we all know and love.

Gambit is more bearable in his early appearances, but he's still the herald of the 90s.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, reading her original stuff she's definitely older than say, Colossus. Early 20's at the youngest when she first starts hanging with the X-Men.

She certainly de-ages over her appearances though.

Excalibur would be great to see again. Though I don't know if they could capture the pure craziness of the Claremont series. Though I'd hope they'd be smart enough not to try to replicate that, and let it be its own thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wonder Man has been inside if my 3 favorite Marvel ladies; Rogue, Carol and Wanda. I am sensing a pattern here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sinister is literally made of continuity holes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Holy poo poo people were not kidding about the art in Blue.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of Queer Subtext, Rachael being totally into Nightcrawler, especially when Kitty is currently available. WTf! Unless they're preparing for Kitty/Illyana to become a textual thing and not a subtext.

Dark Phoenix gets a lot of love, but Brood Saga is also excellent, and also Claremont is why Carol Danvers is my favorite Super Hero. There issue featuring Her and Wolverine fighting Rogue was one of the first X-men comics I read as a kid.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He also constantly refuses to take any credit for xmen evolution and seems to not actually want to discuss the show. It's weird.

Their Claremont interview is pretty fantastic though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have zero problem with Emma going nuts and being evil, because the one good thing in her life is gone, and she sees a chance to recapture it. It's totally a bad guy thing to do. I loved Heroic Emma a lot, but I am cool with this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It feel like the natural character progression based on Emma's actions in Death of X, and it's not unlike Emma in her early apperances as head of the Mass Academy. I mean wasn't she one of the multiple blond women who try to seduce Kitty?.

I also want to point out that when I say "I am cool with this", that means "I accept this" not "I like this".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wasn't Emma controlled Scott getting people killed and escalating everything way beyond what was necessary? I might be misremembering the series, but I don't have any desire to revisit it. I'd rather just admit I am wrong that slog through that bland mini again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Emma never controlled Cyclops. She made a psychic projection of him after he died in Death of X to fulfill his plan to destroy the cloud. Alchemy died, but he knew that going in and it was a sacrifice play. The fake projection Cyclops also died there, she let Black Bolt kill "him" to build more of a conflict between the two sides.

The end of IvX is that all of that was just a trick to maneuver everyone into a situation where she could genocide the inhumans.

Yea, that's what I meant, and for some reason I thought Fake Scott gathered a huge group of jobber X-men and they were killed.

Just this one trick will free mutants forever, Inhumans hate it!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rochallor posted:

That was New Mutants 63, the very first comic book I ever read. I picked it out of my uncle's collection because there was a girl in a spacesuit with a sweet looking laser gun on the cover. When J&M covered it, they pointed out that although the story apparently actually happened, it was told as like a memory within a dream within a flashback for some dumb reason.

Wasn't it Illyana who got sucked into the dream/vision thing and she was confused why Kitty and the rest didn't recognize her?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Roth posted:

Rachel and Kurt bothers me with how incredibly out of nowhere it is. I know these our superhero stories focused on action and aimed primarily at teenage boys, but I really wish we could get some romances that are actually developed decently, and not just: "Oh, I guess this is a thing now"

Yea I can accept Kitty and Pietor getting back together, as there is history there, but Rachael and Kurt feels like they looked at one of those "who hosed who in the marvel universe" and realizing they're the only ones who haven't banged out of the X-men.

I don't think I've ever once seen Rachael have any interest in anyone in all the X-men I've read.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

Read Claremont Excalibur, Rachel and Kitty were as much a thing as you could get away with in 1989.

Edit: Which actually makes Rachel and Kurt being a thing even weirder.

Well yea, I've listened to Jay and Miles from the start. Claremont straight up said that Kitty and Rachael are the ultimate pair, though I'm with them reading it Kitty and Illyana. But that's probably because I just really like Illyana.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also when it looked liked they were all going to become Brood, Kitty tries to sleep with Pietor and he's all "Hell no, you are still way too young".

Because Colossus is just good of a dude.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Open Marriage Night posted:

Then he falls for a chick on Battleworld and breaks Kitty's heart.

Wolverine doesn't take kindly to that, and one of the best X-Men comics happens.

Yep, and where we got the Phrase "That's just my Sunday Punch!" from.

It a good thing the best hospital in the galaxy is right there! Though we have to know if Gabby is hostile to Laura.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah, it was the very first time I even encountered it, and never heard it outside of Juggernaut related stuff, so I assumed it was something from him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Logan is so old, he was around during the 1920s. He was probably the boxer who coined it during a fight on Yancy Street that the Thing (or his great-grandfather, depending on sliding timeline) saw and copied for the Twinkies ad.

Where's my no-prize?

Or Cable.

time travel always involves those two assholes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was really happy to see Illyana back in this Gold, and then she gets punked instantly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I mean, Gambit is 100% made of terrible, so that makes sense.

Iz not smoking, Cher, Gambit vapes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sentinel Red posted:

Terrible Eye or GTFO

I'm with Her!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay so I read the Wolverine Generations book, and that was a perfect Wolverine story. Totally didn't tear up at the very end, nope nope nope, not at all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Diet Poison posted:

I know right? Best Generations one so far. I did literally just finish the Hawkeyes one, which was pretty good too, but not on the same level. Only a weiner would tear up though. I mean, there was a lot of dust in those pages and that dust got into my eyes, and tearing up is a totally acceptable reaction to dusty eyes. Similarly, when I just rewatched Logan, during the end when she calls him "daddy" as he dies, some tear gas from a nearby riot came through my balcony screen door and affected me for several minutes.

I've only also bought the Hawkeye one. I think i'll track down the Thor one and get the Ms Marvel one once it comes out. I was wary of the whole thing from the start, as I saw it as having an "event" so quickly after Secret Empire, but just from its unfair to suggest that it's anything like that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea that's literally the only thing I thought Gambit was actually good, rather than just bareable.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, OML is fuuuuuucked up. I admit I stopped reading the solo during the last Ronin arc because that poo poo just bored me, but a big part of what I did read was him trying to deal with the PSTD and survivors guilt over what happened to him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If your only experience with Beast is from the 90s cartoon i could understand why he'd be a favorite.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

davebo posted:

Well you guys seem like the ones to ask about this. I don't follow comics anymore except to sometimes read a friends copy of Old Man Logan. Although I did read the post-death thing where Mystique was trying to get his preserved corpse before Mr. Sinister or something. I'm just wondering where his body is nowadays? Does anyone mention it? Is it sitting in some library at the X-mansion?

I like to think Deadpool keeps it in his spare bedroom.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pubic works project posted:

IMO the easiest thing to do is just de-age OML

This reminds me that i'm hoping Return of Jean Grey is young Jean gaining the memories and power of old Jean.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how Claremont says its time for the consentual Jean and Logan romance.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CharlestheHammer posted:

One day I will figure out what people see in that pairing.

Yea, I always felt Logans obsession with Jean was super creepy and not cool. Like even loving Hawkeye got over Wanda eventually, but its seen as some tragic romance, even thought its really clear Jean wants to be with Scott and that's that. They at least let Scott have other relationships, let Jean have some. Maybe she can date like, I dunno, Sam Wilson or Hercules.

And yea, I'm down with that Jean outfit. It's retro enough to let me forgive some of the sillyness. Though on the other hand, I have zero interest in Jean returning, i'm enjoying young Jean too much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope this does not mean all new wolverine is getting cancelled

That would be a literal crime.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

X-Men Red will be Old Jean, Young Jean, Rachael Summers, Hope Summers, Wolfsbane, Siryn and uhhhhhhh, whichever other X-Men have red hair.

For some reason Squirrel Girl is on the team, and so is Elsa Bloodstone and Black Widow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Laura's on the team? Sold.

Are any of the current X books ending?