Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Just here to heap praise on Hickman's run so far and this latest issue in particular.

Gregor's righteous anger falls flat when you realize she's been working to top the death toll presented earlier in the issue. Before his suicide Gregor's husband laments not having children with her and this doesn't draw any sympathy from me. Children for what? Born forfeiting their humanity, born into subjugation to mad gods created in human's own image of disdain and self-loathing?

Mutants and their children dream of freedom and liberation, even for the humans. Humans want to put an end to dreams even and especially their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

CubanMissile posted:

Ok, but it's not like you ever see humans in these books staging protests for governments to stop using huge mutant killing death robots.

Earlier on Magneto even brings up Operation Paper Clip. He's making a nod as to what people / governments are willing to tolerate and what extent they'll forgive if it gets them what they want. Nazis are monsters but uhh well we can forgive them and work alongside them as long as it allows us to exterminate the mutants (very topical!).

I wondered if this was meant to just be about human extremists and it might be but I feel the scene I mentioned, Moria's experiences in her lives, and so on make it clear that no one person is responsible for the genocide, it seems to be what mankind works toward almost no matter what. Up to this point, the only life Moria lives a peaceful and fulfilling existence happens to be the one where no one, including herself, knows that she's a mutant.

To come back to Magneto, I get the feeling Hickman isn't trying to reform Magento either but has a different take on him than Grant. The series so far has made me more sympathetic to Mageneto's extremism and I can say for the first time that, even though I think Apocalypse is a villain, I can kind of understand why he's doing what he's doing. Much like Moira, re-living these experiences over and over can radicalize you.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

CubanMissile posted:

I remember when Ghost Rider got infected with a brood and everyone poo poo their pants, and then I think Betsy just hit him with her psychic knife and it severed the link between the brood and Danny Ketch and it was just a big nothingburger.

I need to sit down and read the whole Wolverine and the X-men series cause that brood kid was adorable.

It was really off the wall but an overall fun read, if I remember.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

danbanana posted:

And it seems- assuming certain things about the HoX story we're seeing- to have radicalized Xavier. "No more" is a pretty hardcore statement when it comes to all of this. How much of that radicalization is exposure to Moira? How much is it just from this Xavier's personal experience?

I've been thinking about this and even though the no eye / weird helmet design seems to be a Hickman staple, I realized Professor X's Cerebra helmet seems to echo Cyclops' mask from the Bendis run, after Cyclops has gone full-on mutant terrorist. I'm wondering if it's intentional or not.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

I'm solidly on the idea that this is Moira's 6th life, it just tracks really well with what we know. Utopian co-existence, kill all the Trasks because gently caress Sentinels, Magneto's more radical approach to co-existence, full on nihilistic "Yeah, I'll work with Apocalypse."

Except it isn't until after Moira's 7th life that she realizes Sentinels are inevitable, so knowing that they must target Nimrod specifically has to come after. It isn't until Moira's 9th that she learns what pivotal moment Nimrod is "conceived" at, hence the destroy Mother Mold at all costs suicide mission.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
The question that's been sitting on my mind since Moira's reveal is what happens when Moira dies a final death? Everything just resets, right? Mutants go back to being wholesale slaughtered and oppressed just sans Moira. Do they have to cure Moira before she dies? Does she have some kind of plan for when she dies what could be her final death?

I feel this is what the 6th life is likely to be about. It's probably when she comes up with a contingency or she concocts some grand scheme that we haven't noticed yet.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Beerdeer posted:

3 is Madelyn
5 is Logan, but Jean doesn't have a kid
6 is Cassandra Nova (progeria) or Ernst
7 is the Summers family. Cyclops, Havok, and Vulcan are explicitly referenced. Maybe ADAM X THE XTREME (i hope because I am dumb)
8 is Apoc. I originally thought of the Horsemen from Fall of the Mutants but Krakoa's story changed that
10 is Xavier doesn't know that the Sinister to whom he was talking is no longer around

5 is Logan and Mariko Yashida, I think.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Oh, I take that back. I forgot the Mutant Island is specifically mentioned so it's likely someone in the present and a mutant. If we want to get super technical, Cable counts as Jean's kid, right?

e: ^

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Is it just me or does Sinister seem to have some similarities with Nimrod x100 and x1000, and not just having a mad on for databases and cataloguing DNA but in his manner too?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

McCloud posted:

It's actually kind of difficult to overstate what Charles accomplishments would mean for the mutant population. I know it's a bit of a droll comparison to say the X-men are queer/minority coded, but as a queer person I can say that I can absolutely understand why the idea of Krakoa is so seductive. Speaking in very broad strokes, pretty much every single queer person lives in a society that otherizes them, and at best they live somewhere that accepts their otherness, and at worst..well you know. Even in the best case scenario we're constantly reminded that we're different from everyone else. We're practically non-existant in the culture around us, we're not the subject of love songs or the protagonists in block busters, we're an afterthought at best. Krakoa is a place where the others become the norm, where you're not an outsider looking in, where you are at the cultural centre. I recall the first time I went to a concert after Pride in brighton , and the feeling of liberation knowing everyone else was the same as you is impossible to describe, and it took me by surprise because I hadn't realized the extent to which I felt like an outsider in the society i was raised in. But more than that, Charles also gave them safety. They are beyond reprisal and punishment from bigots who wish to hurt them for simply being themselves. It's easy to see why they would be so fanatic in their devotion.

That's the kind of question that causes a philosophical derail and questions along the lines of "what constitutes a self", but for all intents and purposes, if he has Cyclops memories and body, he is Cyclops. Now the interesting thing to see is what happens when you put Bubs mind in Cykes body and vice versa.

I'm not queer but I've had similar experiences with being othered and how that is paralleled by the X-Men. This is why I don't want to dismiss their behavior as cult-ish. I can see how it comes off that way, and it may very well turn out to be as such, but I can also see this being about what mutants start to feel and act like when they "belong", that they're safe, and working toward unity without worrying about integrating or forcing themselves to live and act by the rules and norms of people that are attempting to exterminate them. I'm sure some X-Men will see it differently and it will be explored in the upcoming books but I think Hickman is trying to show what happens when mutants are coming together in solidarity, embracing what makes them weird and different. There's definitely some kind of pod people vibe but I get the sense more that they're being "re-born" through community and collaboration.

Anyway, on something I noticed: the conversation between Emma and Charles followed by offering a clean slate to all mutants reminds me of the end of Millar's Ultimate X-Men. We can argue about how successful Millar was but he was trying to establish that mutants should have radically different views on society, ethics, and morality as humans, especially when it comes to rehabilitation.

I'm not the first to say this in the thread but want to throw in: it's definitely Pax Romana Hickman where he is exploring heavy world building /mythology and setting the status quo, where I'm sure it will be explored more in his main X-Men book and the other X-Books. The big brush setups aren't everyone's thing, I don't blame people for finding it a little boring but I love it. Seting the stage for new X-Books has me super excited for this and everything after.

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 19, 2019

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

danbanana posted:

RE: the cult thing... I think there's a difference between finding a place to be excepted and creating a culture of isolation. I think this is especially true for a group who are actually superior to the rest of the world. In that case, I think there's a fine line between pride in yourself and ideas of supremacy. Not to get too political, but Hickman hasn't been shy about references to Israel, with Magneto literally telling human representatives that MUTANTS ARE THEIR NEW GODS NOW in Jerusalem. Israel is a good example of a group of people who have been brutally treated in the past, found a physical home, and since then, done some extremely questionable things in the belief that their way of life was endangered. This is especially true of the current far-right government.

Also, again: when Apocalypse is like "oh, this is loving awesome!" I'm not sure we're supposed to be identifying it as a positive thing.

But at the same time, the validity of feeling like you've finally found a home/culture/family when you've been an oppressed person your whole life is extremely important so I'm certainly not judging anyone who is seeing positives in this.

RE: this being a setup... It's funny because I'm someone who has been a trade-waiter for almost 20 years now and this is one of the few times I've picked up a book on a weekly/monthly basis, but I suspect issues like this week's will read better in a chunk, where it won't feel so isolated. I think that reading- for the first time anyway- of HoX #2 would hurt that issue.

I definitely expect there to be trouble in paradise and I have no illusions that this could sour. The scene in Jerusalem with Magneto was great and was very cool (and kind of a quintessential Magneto moment) but I'm hoping this will have a deeper meaning than an eventual, hamfisted "all oppressed people turn into their oppressors" foreshadowing, though. Or if it is, that it's well done contemplation on why that is, you know? Interesting though that the line is thin between Cult and Community and that the issue can be interpreted as at least riding the line.

I agree that Apocalypse being there could be a huge red flag but I'm REALLY curious where it will go, because it seems like Hickman is attempting to turn Apocalypse more complex. I mean everything he is shown to have done (waging an impossible war against machines into the far, far future, and battling demons at the dawn of time with magic swords alongside old mutant-gods on a sentient island) turns him into... I dunno a Frank Frazetta Heavy Metal cover badass instead of a Mustache Twirlingly Genocider. Of course, we'll see how it plays out.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Considering the way most mutants look, most mutants are probably very body positive and probably wouldn't be too concerned with a little nudity is probably the Gooniest thing I've ever thought to post.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
I'm not calling this issue the weakest so far but unlike the others, that have some kind of action or a ton of new lore packed in, it felt like it was largely a set for the final issue spike.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

TwoPair posted:

I know, right? When Namor said line about how Xavier doesn't think he's better, all I could think is "coulda fuckin' fooled me"

My guess: Namor would have never said this to Apocalypse or Magneto. In all of the potential futures it seems Xavier is actually the only mutant leader who doesn't radicalize. Despite how it might appear, I don't think he is in the current timeline either. I think he genuinely believes that, even with the measures he's taking, that this is about proving to the humans that they can be equals.

It reads to me Namor is telling us that he believes Krakoa-nation is flawed until Xavier sees things like he does (a king) or it's foreshadowing that something will happen to push Xavier in a more radical direction.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

wielder posted:

I think each type of story has its own purpose and House of X/Powers of X is not an exception. The point of Hickman's Avengers run was that everything could go wrong in the face of a universe-ending threat...and it did. Tony, Steve and almost everyone else made a bunch of terrible mistakes. That all led to pure chaos and the new Secret Wars. Conversely, his Fantastic Four run had a (comparatively) far more optimistic tone, by the end, so it's not like everything Hickman writes will lead to as bleak or depressing of an outcome as his Avengers run.

So far, we're still in the honeymoon phase of this whole Xavier/Magneto/Moira effort. Things are going great and these wins for the mutants all seem to be a little too perfect. You could even consider it to be an intentionally creepy honeymoon, given some of the hints and foreshadowing, since it's inevitable that the Krakoa plan isn't going to keep going smoothly forever.

I think the Avengers run, if you consider that the outcome is the end of Secret Wars, then it's incredibly optimistic. Everything is resurrected because selfish, egotistical men who believed they were more concerned with being better than everyone else and at each other's throats realized the need for sacrificing their self-importance. You know, letting go of old, stale ideals to make room for a younger, different generation and bigger, better, and possibly drastically different things and an infinite number of worlds where all sorts of things are possible.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Android Blues posted:

No, you don't, because your brain doesn't "power down" when you go to sleep. This is a common argument in continuity of consciousness debates, but sleep is not analogous to death. Your brain is active while you're sleeping, it's just in a different mode. You might as well say you lose continuity of consciousness when you blink.

Anyway, yeah, based on what we currently know, it's just cloning with a memory backup process. The characters seem to think otherwise, though, to the extent that they decide murdering a mutant should not be a crime on Krakoa - which is a bit baffling. Even assuming it's true resurrection, wouldn't there be a degree of mental trauma from being murdered that the perpetrator would be culpable for?

I could see this last part being shown to be an issue but, in defense of it, being horrifically murdered wouldn't be as traumatizing for me and everyone else if I could wake up the next morning and beat the poo poo out of the person that did it.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Parallax posted:

also not sure where Hickman is going with this posthuman stuff. if humans can genetically modify themselves into being something equal to, or greater than mutants, then what really separates them?

welcome to bigotry.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The key was that you'd see characters inheriting similar but not identical powers, was the thing - but since this was the '80s and early '90s, there weren't nearly so many time-displaced or alternate future kids of extant characters running around, so it was mostly a moot point.

Also.... no, Franklin's just about always been considered a mutant, dude. The fact that he wasn't wearing an X or anything never changed his mutanthood (the way Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were explicitly made nonmutant). Like, this was a thing in the '80s when the Mutant Registration Act was a big thing in the comics:

That's Franklin there on the right, in the 'Tattletale' costume he was wearing while hanging around as the unofficial fifth member of the Power Pack. His being a mutant was a pretty integral part of the Onslaught storyline. Dude's always been a mutant, man.

Yeah, Franklin has been a mutant for as long as I've been reading comics which stretches back to the 80s. Power Pack to Days of Future Past and Days of Future Present, to Onslaught, and Hickman has even mentioned that he is a mutant a couple times in his Fantastic Four/FF run before it was mentioned again in the House of X.

Billzasilver posted:

Do you think Hickman is on team Magneto Was Right?

Hickman's work has always had a healthy amount of cynicism to it, with the exception of MAYBE his Fantastic Four run? So I think yes, kind of, is probably the right answer.

We'll see but I think what was interesting about the Magneto / Xavier interactions is Xavier became more like Magneto but I think Magneto also moved toward Xavier. Magneto's shown a willingness to differ to Xavier and he also backed Jean Grey's "killing humans is a high crime" proposition by Jean, both these things make me think he's softened some of his approach.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Laughing Zealot posted:

The costume thing appears to be Hickman just having a thing for that outfit, but I agree that it feels wildly out of place. She's gonna be in both the main X-men title and X-force.

He's said in an interview that the X-Men outfits will be from a wardrobe that consists of all their outfits (I think he may have hinted at new ones, too?) and not a static costume, which has been the case in the past. Honestly, I don't blame him for favoring the traditional one. I think all of Jean's costumes have sucked and the traditional is probably the only one looks the best, aside from her Phoenix costume of course.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Gymer posted:

An imitation Shiar logic diamond.

So either they're resurrecting Gregor's husband or using his imprint to attempt another Nimrod or some type of New Nimrod.

I say this because when Killian (a cyborg) refers to Gregor's husband as a "great hunter" struck me as a kind of weird thing to say about someone. He does hunt mutants but referring to a military strategist as a great hunter is still off, I dunno. That's until I saw the crystal and the implied plans to resurrect him somehow. I think it's a hint: Nimrod can refer to someone stupid or inept, but it also means great hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Wanderer posted:

He's like Nightcrawler in that he comes from a period where you didn't necessarily have to have just one primary mutation.

The super-senses have been part of his character since close to the start. I want to say that they're sometimes chalked up to being part of the healing factor, but mostly they're just kinda there.

You're right, originally it was attributed to his healing factor keeping his sense at their peak. I'd also add that since he relies a lot on his other senses that he's very experienced in using them, so that adds to them seeming more super-human.