Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

pubic works project posted:

Sooooooooooooooo....is Xavier gonna hop in like a brain-dead twin body like in the movies? "I didn't just have a sister, Cassandra Nova. I had a brother too!!"

Xavier already has another body that as far as I can tell they never did anything with. His body at death was a clone that the Shi'Ar made for him and it's never mentioned what happened to his original body. And that body would be sick and also World War 2 old so they could kill him off again in the next event and start this all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

pubic works project posted:

Rick, you're so smart. Basketball and X-Men comics?!?! My man.

It's an underrated life-interest combo, I'm glad you're also with it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

The brood destroyed it

Maybe I need to read it again, but I read it after the death to check, because I wasn't sure about this and unless I missed something it basically ends an issue with "he's infected and gonna die soon" to next issue starting with "oh hey everyone, I'm back and in a clone now."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I can accept Kitty and Pietor getting back together, as there is history there, but Rachael and Kurt feels like they looked at one of those "who hosed who in the marvel universe" and realizing they're the only ones who haven't banged out of the X-men.

I don't think I've ever once seen Rachael have any interest in anyone in all the X-men I've read.

While it would be perfectly normal in the real world for such a thing, it is weird in comics where there is a constant push from each new writing team to hook up all the characters that she is so rarely written as dating anyone.

I think Korvus (that sword guy, I had to look up his name) is the only one I know of. Oh and of course Franklin Richards (from her world, not like, the little kid).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Sinteres posted:

If they want to use Legacy to get back to something closer to the classic conception of characters, a soft reboot for the X-Men line that uses the avatar of rebirth to bring back major characters like Cyclops and maybe Wolverine (though his healing factor could always just kick in anyway) would seem like a pretty reasonable way to do it.

Even as someone who finds some pleasure with the original X-men and the pre-Giant-Sized run, it's so far away from what the X-men actually were that I just hate the idea of trying to establish that as some sort of status quo. It was much more interesting to see the ways which the original X-men reacted to what the X-men would become and how it changed them, than who they actually were before that.

E: A few pages old but I want to write about this :

For me, pre-post-Morrison Beast definitely was a gently caress up at times, but not to the extent now where he is a punchline. He was just kind of emotionally undeveloped in X-Men and the Avengers, which caused him to gently caress up (he has emotions, he just deals with them by hiding from them).

Then he seems to pick up the concept of feelings in X-Factor, but uses them to be sad 24/7 (I guess you could say that about everyone in that comic where Cyclops is arguably the most cheerful). But his gently caress ups are relatively minor at that point. He cheers up once the X-Men get back together and this is arguably him at his most competent, and he seems to establish a firm morality that he sticks to, even as other X-Men falter.

In part, one of the reasons Dark Beast is so shocking is because he is Beast with no emotions and Apocalypse's ethics which in turn creates a really hosed up dude, very different from what we have seen prior.

When the timeline returns, at this point the Legacy Virus ramps up and he remains competent, but does start to at least test his ethical stances, but generally sticks with them. Then as earlier posts above cover well, after Legacy things get complicated under Morrison (which is good, his character needed this). And then he just kind of rather quickly transitions into the major gently caress up he is today. To the point where it's hard to remember him not being a gently caress up, to the point Dark Beast isn't even THAT shocking anymore (he's basically current Beast with a consistent motivations and rational actions in response to those motivations).

Rick fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 16, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

amigolupus posted:

My problem with Old Man Logan is that he's basically OG Wolverine, but Old. Aren't they essentially the same character with the same background, history and had the same experiences up to a certain point? Plus all it needs is a hack writer to de-age him and suddenly Laura's at risk of being shafted as the Wolverine.

It's why I prefer Howlett. Guy's got a completely different backstory where he lived in a homophobic AU, but still found love with Herc. And when the gods found out their love and cast them to hell, the two fought their way out of it. :black101:

As a Beast fan, thanks for this. It's just depressing that Hank got so thoroughly mangled by bad writers to the way he is now. :(

I agree that it's depressing. Especially since I felt like they finally figured Beast out in the late 90s and then it just went off the rails. At this point he needs to disappear for a few years to reset.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Shake the statue vigorously so that Wolverine is liquefied and drips out of the statue and then boost his healing factor.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Metalshark posted:

This is a strong article: https://io9.gizmodo.com/its-time-for-the-x-mens-stories-about-discrimination-to-1818715399

I'd definitely like to see more intersectionality within the X-Men themselves, written by creators who can handle these topics ably. We've obviously had some passing privilege stuff with the X-Men, but a lot of recent runs have just been a super team with a PR problem facing crisis after crisis. Which reminds me that I did like Fraction/Gillen having a PR person for the X-Men in San Francisco and Gillen's Generation Hope touched on some international responses to mutants that was good stuff.

I miss the Academy X kids so much. They were so messed up by what they had to face in Messiah CompleX and afterwards with the Purifiers and Bastion, but they carried on regardless. :3: Well, those that survived.

I'd love an anthology X-book to return with shorter stories/one-shots focusing on individual mutants again, but no way is an anthology book with less action gonna work these days. Without Mutant Town, the Morlocks, a Utopia/Genosha or something, it feels like the X-Men are kind of adrift these days. Early days still since the latest relaunch, but they need to decide what they're doing regarding the direction for the X-Men because the Central Park thing hasn't really figured yet, and the Blue team in Madripoor just kind of stop by occasionally to hang out with their new buddies.

I agree on all accounts.

I think if they were willing to make the books a bit more dense they could always do the 90s style comics of full A plots and B plots (and sometimes C plots) in each issue. The stories are so decompressed that there's rarely any room to cover anything but the main story and even those often would've been cover-able in one issue in the 70s.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Young Jean Grey "Hey, did you know your boyfriend's gay? And he thinks your tacos are the worst. Anyway, glad we got you home safe."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
"Lol oh yeah I've been impersonating Xavier since like Uncanny 280 dudes. Also I can't believe you bought that bullshit about Deadly Genesis, I totally conned you into that and hey check it out, everyone who can prove otherwise is dead. Anyway here's Xavier in the astral plane, he's actually getting on my nerves so I I dunno I'll just let him share Fantomex's brain or something. All right, later." would sure fix a lot for me, personally.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
X-Treme is definitely bad but I think it starts out so promising.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
One thing that Unlimited does is there isn't the natural distance between releases, so it just feels like the X-Men are completely starting over every 8 issues now. I've pretty much liked everything post-Bendis but my big problem with it all is that they walk away from everything after the first couple of arcs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The concept bothers me too and I can't believe it's gone on this long. There have been some pretty nice moments with young Scott and like Young Jean is the biggest villain in the Marvel universe to me due to all her problematic telepathy but other than that I just find them fairly redundant.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Rachel and Kitty is a bit complicated because Future Kitty was basically Rachel’s caretaker/mentor.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think personally that Rachel's mother is actually the Phoenix-Clone-of-Jean Grey like they hinted at in a What If but that part of the Phoenix story has mostly been retconned.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

amigolupus posted:

Based on how she keeps jumping from team to team these days, I'm not sure if Kitty is a complete flake, is trying badly to emulate Logan being in all teams at once, or is just badly written.

Wait, so the spikes were from her from her time as a brainwashed slave for the Sentinels? It's kind of weird she'd keep that for her costumes.

A basic part of Rachel's character that no one has mentioned is she'll wear something incredibly hosed up even if it offends or scares people if it is in service of Fashion.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Storm is really cool. I hope someone at some point does a Fraction style run except instead of it being a book revolving around Cyclops every page it revolves around Storm instead.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Was anyone clamoring for vampire storm to hang around?

Not really but also she's not a bad character so I don't mind her being around.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I find most of the X stuff out right now to be decent but the problem is it feels like they're all missing that building to something way off in the future that may never happen and the constant relaunches are apart of that because it seems as soon as a writer gets their legs the creative team changes.

I do get not wanting to go full 80s-90s where there were dozens of dangling plot lines, some of which that took literal decades to resolve (and I wouldn't be surprised if I thought about it if there are some that never were) but it feels like the comics are just moving from issue to issue and its missing that feeling of mythology working.

I guess the Young X-Men are the closest thing to that since someday they have to go home but, also, I don't really like them so I'm being a hypocrite there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Marvel has an interview with Ed Brisson about the upcoming Extermination miniseries coming up. Sounds like it might be the end of the Original Five.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/89071/ed-brisson-reveals-extermination/

Well, I'll read every comic with Ahab even though it just leaves me sad and nostalgic for Good Excalibur.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Oh, now I know why sparkling grape juice is in the kosher section of the supermarket. Thanks thread!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm incredibly biased because the first comic I ever had purchased for me was X-Men while they were in Australia. It actually didn't really take quite then, it took a few months before I read another comic, (it was Classic, actually that got me hooked, specifically the Brood War), but after I was in, I went back to that and thought it all felt really cool. It also created a space where Excalibur and X-Factor could start.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Just start at Giant Sized X-Men #1 and read until you lose interest.

This is probably what I'd recommend too. You can probably start at the Dark Phoenix saga like that reading order image suggest and not miss out on much that is important going forward, but I think a lot of the groundwork for the Dark Phoenix starts right after Giant Sized.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I just read Giant Sized X-Men #1 and it is an interesting piece of comics history and a pretty good comic in its own right. I kind of wonder why Sunfire was there at all though: He complains that he is there at all, he doesn't really do anything of note in the issue, and in the next issue he quits within a few pages. I guess that it was an idea that ultimately did not pan out.

I swore I read something about him being forced in the issue for editorial reasons but I can't find anything at all supporting that so maybe I dreamt that up.

E: This is all I can find for early concept: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Sunfire_(comics)

quote:

team since. He has had some presence in the greater Marvel Universe.

Concept and creation
Roy Thomas recalled that, during his first run on X-Men,

I wanted to add a young Japanese or Japanese-American whose mother had been at Hiroshima or Nagasaki, as a corresponding character to the X-Men, whose parents were, at that time, assumed to have been at the Manhattan Project. Stan [Lee, X-Men editor/co-creator] didn't give me any good reason [for rejecting the character] - he just didn't want to, I think... I didn't bring it up again, but when I came back to the book, with Neal Adams, I created Sunfire, who is pretty much the character I had wanted to do some years earlier. I didn't make him an X-Man right away. By that time, Stan gave me a little more free reign [sic]. In fact, he was included in Giant Size X-Men #1, along with Banshee, precisely because I had gone around creating some 'international mutants,' with the goal of expanding the team at some time. I thought the X-Men shouldn't all be white Americans.[1]

----

Skwirl posted:

God Loves Man Kills is probably the perfect comic to show anyone you're trying to trick into being an X-Men fan.

It really is.

Rick fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 28, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Swimsuit special may have been a crash grab from the hormonal but the concept of just a simple art book was kind of cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I want a writer who hopefully is tolerable to get basically a guaranteed three year run minimum so a darn status quo or some stories can breathe and actually develop and be memorable.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

rantmo posted:

Adopted sister kinda (they were raised as siblings, which isn't actually better but for some reason I still think Kurt and Amanda are a great couple when writers remember she exists. I cannot for the life of me explain why it doesn't bother me even though it probably should, but she's the best partner for him unless Meggan finally leaves Brian Braddock. Kurt and Rachel makes no loving sense.

It's funny how super pro-leaving-Brian I was for Meggan for basically like all of Davis and Claremont's Excalibur run. But I don't remember if it came along in the last 1/4 of the series or stuff afterwards but they finally got to a place where Brian finally was like "oh yeah, you should have some agency and taking advantage of the fact you're basically magically programed to bend to my wishes is not something I should exploit." After that I was cool with it, Captain Britain is much less of an oaf these days.

But yeah Kurt and Meggan would also be really good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I like both Psylockes, but the original one’s costume is actually one of my all time favorites for some reason. I just love the cloak and the mask and the armor and all of it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
In my world it’s white people who say Zavier and Spanish speakers that say Javier and cool teens and me who still say Ex-avier.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I am interested in seeing how they get the X-men who haven't been hanging out for years assembled again to disassemble them immediately. That sounds sarcastic but it isn't.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Wolverine transitions to his rightful place as Marvel's lead villain by starting out a plan to make all the wolverine's on Earth's claws hot all the time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Metalshark posted:

I found the Astonishing Annual incredibly off-putting. The humourous parts were fun, but I just hate everything about X, and not in a fun way. I can't say it was a bad comic or anything, but I just did not care for it at all. I've been reading post-Onslaught X-Men though, so I've had a lot of unilateral acting, feelings failing Xavier recently, and I just got to New X-Men to top it off.

One thing I'm genuinely curious about, having seen numerous creators talking about how tragic the X-Men are, in that they suffer more than anyone else in the Marvel universe, is whether the X-audience still wants that. X-Men Red, Domino & Rogue and Gambit have been such a breath of fresh air by being fun/uplifting/positive amidst some good personal stakes, and there's a (probably queer) audience who wants to see these gays be happy for a bit, or at least have lower stakes personal drama. That said, X-fan trend hardcore too, with nostalgia being key basedon the team lineups of recent runs so I'm not saying that this is majority, it's just something I've been wondering about.
Obviously, the hated and feared thing is seen as fundamental, and Big Two comics need their mandated fight scene, but it would be great to get more slice of life X-stuff in my opinion.

I desperately am tired of darkness, and am tired of wondering if the characters I like are actually good.

Obviously happy stories forever don't work but it wouldn't be bad to chill things out a bit for just a little while.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rochallor posted:

I don't know if anybody is actually still reading New Mutants-Dead Souls, but it wrapped up this week on a major cliffhanger. After being really iffy on the first couple of issues I ended up really enjoying it. The art is great--Illyana especially--and Rosenberg has a good handle on the voice of the characters.

It also approaches doing one of my fantasy pitches for X-Men--moving Karma into an antagonist role basically by her making hundreds of little compromising decisions as the head of an enormous company, and having all her friends thinking she's just possessed for the nth time instead of doing it of her own volition.

I have been considering reading these based just on the strength of the covers but I'm waiting until they all hit unlimited (bad fan here).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm really glad Doug is back, and it's hosed up they killed Doug 2.0, Elixir.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That is good. I get he is a character who makes writing kind of hard but I have always had a soft spot for him. I think if they stuck him in a light-hearted book where people really don't want to see the characters in danger anyway it would be good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

I liked him in X-Force. The fact he was the one definitively 'good' member of the killsquad was a nice juxtaposition.

I actually sort of thought for a bit that him and Laura would make a good pairing. Then I saw that Kyle tweet how he'd intended her to be gay, and that just makes 100% total sense to me. I mean, I didn't know anything about Iceman, so when Bendis made that canon I had a sort of reflexive 'they changed a thing' dislike of it (the specific circumstances didn't help), but having followed Laura's story, that just seems obvious to me. I almost feel like the Liu run was headed in that direction, actually, between her spending time with Jubilee and breaking it off with Hellion at the very end of the run. Like, looking at the issue in question (X-23 Volume 2 #19, true believers!) She explicitly says that she's has feelings and wants, but that she doesn't want Julian. Then Jubilee shows up at the apartment she's staying at, and the next issue picks up clearly some time later where they've been spending a lot of time together.

Laura/Jubilee is the new Kitty/Rachel is what I'm saying here, I think.

Sorry, we were talking about Elixir, weren't we?

I do totally agree it feeling like they have definitely set the table obviously for Laura to be gay, much moreso than with Iceman, who I had a reflexive reaction to as well (although, if you go back through Iceman's history, there's enough there where it isn't totally out of left field. It's not quite like Beast where people would've probably been like "no poo poo" but it's still there).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Edmund Lava posted:

Once the DOFP timeline was avoided Rachel became unique in the multiverse. She can’t be born at this point unless they retcon that plot point from Excalibur.

One of the reasons that Rachel is one of my faves is not only did she help solve the problem she came back for, but she realized she had the near omnipotent power so she had the responsibility to go back and fix her present, and did that too.

But they are always about ignoring everything Excalibur did which I guess I understand in a way because comics abhor solved problems and Alan Davis basically solved all the problems that everyone went into Excalibur with.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Hot claws are going to be Superman electricity and it's cool I'm going to be along for the ride.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I thought it was dumb when I first read it but I dunno on rereads it feels like it makes sense, at least when Claremont or Davis is writing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ah that's great. The top panel is one of my all time favorites in comics. Especially since everyone died/disappeared/went to their home planet off screen after that.

Is Alan Davis still doing stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That cover looks soooo bad. I guess I'll see why Cyclops is back, though.