Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The whole parents don't inherit their their parents power thing is why Rachel Summer's mutant power is her astral time travel thing, and her TP/TK powers were either directly from the Phoenix force (or just its "residue"), and she can't move her body through time without the Phoenix force, just her mind, so that's why she doesn't do that a ton anymore.

I have noticed in recent years though that the time travel part is almost never mentioned. Which I guess is fine since she's only used it a handful of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I also absolutely thought Professor and Magneto were going to kiss. Especially after the line in House where Magneto said (to paraphrase) "I'll never doubt you again."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I've actually always been a strong proponent of the "Rachel's mother was the surviving Phoenix clone not Jean" theory ala the What-If where that specifically happens.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Is this all part of a lengthy interconnected storyline like the lead-up to Secret Wars, or just a flat-out soft reboot?

I guess no matter how it ends it's probably safe to call it a reboot since they are bringing back everyone who died.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There definitely had to be some stuff that happened before the start of the story. Jean having an off-screen Phoenix encounter is interesting.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Did they specifically retcon it out? It just felt like Bendis didn't acknowledge it less than write it out but I only read the mainline.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Billzasilver posted:

What the gently caress. Did Xavier hatch from an egg and get his old memories implanted at some point?

Xavier's original body is M.I.A. It was infected by the Brood so Moria and the Shi'Ar made him a new body that was also younger and transfered his mind into it.

I mean you could probably assume they disposed the body but my X-Men Fantasy Booking always maintained that the original body is out there somewhere.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

There was a backup story in 'Classic X-Men' where Xavier's original paraplegic body still has his original conscious in it and he's just spending his entire time in a shiar museum/conference center while his young walky clone is out and about with his space-bird girlfriend and he just gets bitter about it. :v:

drat I want to read this now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
drat I loved Marauders. The art is great and the story is a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't really disagree with any of that. Even the criticism of me, as a fan, who has hundreds of posts on this forum about Rachel Summers I'm no better.

Gologle posted:

I can kind of see where Hickman is coming from in regards to X-Men fans. Like, one of my favorite characters in unironically Wolverine. Yes, he's overused, yes, it's Wolverine, yes I think he's been portrayed as hitting well above his paygrade because he took off like a runaway train from his inception, but the Wolverine that I love was the one that was in Claremont's first Wolverine mini, the one where he first goes to Japan and fights the Silver Samurai and all that stuff with Yukio and Mariko and stuff. Wolverine's core character was that he was a violent person, like unto a beast, and the struggle against that violent bestial nature toward the path of a man.

That same struggle was tied up quite nicely in Claremont's run, but people didn't want a Logan that had resolved his conflict, they wanted the cool invincible handsome badass who could turn into a human blender against ninjas and the Hulk and other poo poo, not the actual hairy midget who kept getting his poo poo kicked in because of his very wolverine-esque attitude. You can see glimpses of that post-resolution Wolverine here and there, but generally whenever Wolverine shows up its as that caricature. One of my favorite portrayals of Wolverine is actually in a Daredevil book following a character named Echo, a former villain of Daredevil's, as she embarks on a quest of self reflection, which I won't spoil but it's super good.

While I 100% agree with you about Actualized Logan being one of my favorite characters ever and that he already has had his character pretty much resolved as it should, I also realized that I will read and kind of enjoy almost ANY solo Wolverine story no matter how cliche.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 29, 2019