Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just read Spurrier's X-Men Legacy and X-Force

WATX was a bit hit and miss. You could probably get by with reading all of it except the Circus arc because gently caress those terrible issues. Everything else was pretty good iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's an Excalibur sale on Comixology so last night I bought the first 25 or so issues of it, RIP my wallet this month.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

No I just bought up to the end of the Cross-Time Caper. There are some fill-ins after that, then both Claremont and Davis return before Claremont leaves for good. Davis takes over as both writer and artist I think then, like you say (although iirc he doesn't do the art for every issue - I could be wrong though).

I've never read as far as Ellis' stuff but it's supposed to be decent.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I loved that X-Force series, I feel like it never got much love but the whole story it set up with Cable having to clone himself constantly was great.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I don't think it's his appearances in Morrison's run which people like about the character. I mean, he was hopped up on Kick and completely off the rails. It's his subsequent appearances, particularly Aaron's run on Wolverine and the X-Men.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Is anything even renumbered there outside of Gen X and Cable? Astonishing isn't, Weapon X isn't. Is OML?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

No there was a Weapon X book which ran for about 20 issues in the mid-Oughts I think. Frank Tieri wrote it iirc.

Here it is: http://marvel.com/comics/series/543/weapon_x_2002_-_2004

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sebastian Shaw is at times a dick, and other times is pretty awesome.

Claremont's X-Men is great, the stuff from around the time Secret Wars takes place onwards is a real rollercoaster of plot threads building up before finally getting paid off. Sure some of them get dropped for a while before being brought back to get resolved but for the most part it's really well constructed.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It should be noted for anyone unaware, but "The Avengers" mentioned above is a 60s British tv show and nothing to do with the Marvel comic. :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Snowbird is thirsty for a shot of Logan

Please keep posting your impressions of Claremont's X-Men. :) It's awesome to read about someone experiencing it for the first time.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

New Mutants starts around Uncanny #155 or so I think. X-Factor starts after Uncanny #201. It's worth reading them concurrently because they cross over a little bit (particularly New Mutants since Claremont wrote more than half the run of it).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dan Slott on Spider-Man. :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Ahh poo poo, that's one of the missing ones on Marvel Unlimited, there's some weird rear end gaps in New Mutants, it goes 1-40, 46, 55-61 (the Fall of The Mutants tie in) 71-73 (Inferno), then 86-100 which I think is when it essentially turned into X-Force.
They probably just haven't added the whole series yet as such, 46 is iirc the Mutant Massacre issue, then the rest are issues which have crossovers, so they were probably added whenever those crossovers were put up. 86-100 is basically Liefeld's run on the book. #87 is the first appearance of Cable, #92-94 are the X-tinction Agenda crossover, #98 is the first appearance of Deadpool.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 3, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lord Packinham posted:

Colossus seems pretty creepy with kitty in Gold. I never read the runs where they were together so maybe I'm missing something.
I'd wager it was creepier than whatever is happening now, because at the time Piotr was somewhere between 17 and 19, and Kitty was 14 or 15. Breaking them up originally was an Editorial mandate.

Lord Packinham posted:

Rachel and Kurt is even more confusing because I didn't think they had any history at all but like I said I'm not as familiar with x-men as everyone else here.
They haven't had any history as such, but I don't really see why they should need some history together to hook up or get together now.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

RandallODim posted:

Actually, here's a question for the X-thread: Has Hank McCoy ever been not a gently caress up? Was his Avengers time better?
Aside from experimenting on himself a couple of times, I feel like the "Hank McCoy is a gently caress up" thing is really only something from the past 10 years or so. I like his character a lot, but I feel like he's been somewhat mistreated since Endangered Species.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Or a lot of his comic appearances also.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/930120266444713984

Yeah, Laura, Kurt and probably Dani. Not sure who else is in there.

Skwirl posted:

Did Dani ever get her powers back? Not that she needs them to be in a book, I just never finished The New Mutants after Necrosha.
She has some Valkyrie powers now, as far as I recall. From Fearless Defenders (post-Fear Itself).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Jean (like, actual Jean) and Kurt don't even have that much history together, they've actually hardly been in the X-Men at the same time (or on the same X-Men squad, at least). Rachel is the big connection they share, really.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Were they ever on the same team between Claremont leaving and Grant Morrison's New X-Men? I know very little about that era but it spans most of a decade.
Very briefly after Excalibur ended, but on different squads I think, and even then, Kurt left the team again during the Six-Month Gap between X-Men #99 and #100, and Jean left the team for a while after The Twelve storyline.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I hope Gabriel Summers gets introduced into the Marvel Cinematic Universe when Disney buys Fox or whatever.

I'm still disappointed that Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire was such a long, poorly paced and boring storyline.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

davebo posted:

As someone who loves X-Men specifically because of his first run but never read any of that, would it be worth getting? Or is it just his name selling it and it wasn't actually worth it? How was the art for that stuff?
The writing wasn't terribly good tbh, the art was (I think) Alan Davis, with Salvador Larocca later.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'd much rather if they continued collecting his original run in omnis.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The start of X-treme was ok, and it had a good hook. It just...wasn't very good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I disliked Battle of the Atom, but the circus arc was even worse.

The rest of Wolverine and the X-Men is really good though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Also, the 70s and early 80s in comics were a time when writers were actually allowed to change the status quo. People had longer runs and there was generally less of an expectation that things happening today would be undone next week, so the editorial decision to mess with Claremont's storytelling in order to launch X-Factor was actually pretty out of bounds and an extreme decision in the context of the time.
There's also the factor that, whether he was right to feel that way or not, Claremont felt that the X-Men were "his" at the time. He'd taken on the assignment 10 years previously when nobody wanted it, and helped turned it into a sales juggernaut. There were only 2 montly books, and he was writing both of them. X-Factor was effectively planned behind his back, and resurrected a character who he was told had to die and couldn't ever be brought back.

My favourite part of the whole thing is that Kurt Busiek, who I don't think has ever done any X-Men work, was the one who proposed the idea of Dark Phoenix being a clone of Jean.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Also Cyclops leaves his wife and baby in Alaska because his ex-girlfriend was no longer dead.

Cyclops was the worst.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I don't recall her ever having a "no kill" policy, Kurt's reasoning was simply because she was Storm. She was beautiful and a Goddess and all that. Just by her nature, she nurtured life and didn't take it, even if sometimes things or people needed to be punched or lightninged or whatever. He maybe had her up on a bit of a pedestal. It's around this time that she has a personality shift because she feels her relationship with the elements is out of whack, she starts wearing a lot of leather and adopts the mohawk and that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

In the post above you she literally says "I swore an oath, never to kill again."

That's the oath Kurt's talking about.
Both posts were "literally" at the same time, but thanks.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

She was also dead and 8 years old for a long time so

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I don't mind Inferno, parts of it are good and it's kind of the first time the X-Men and X-Factor hang out. But yeah, basically it's a storyline whose main purpose is to just get rid of Madelyne.

There's kind of a 2nd storyline running concurrently though in New Mutants and the X-terminators mini-series, about Illyana losing control of Limbo. It's basically a separate story but shares a few threads with the main Madelyne one.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Twink is not a slur or offensive in any way.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

New Mutants was a pretty hosed up book, but that's why it was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Skwirl posted:

What are people's opinions on Deadly Genesis? I realized the only comics I've read with Vulcan was that War of Kings cosmic stuff by Abnett and Lanning. Figure I might study up on him since he's apparently gonna be part of this stuff moving forward.
It felt very disappointing and by-the-numbers. Shocking death, even more shocking revelation about Xavier (which had kind of been done by a few different writers at the time). I don't remember much else about it. It maybe reads better when it's not anticipating as "Oh I can't wait to see what Brubaker is going to do with the X-Men!"