Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

datingvolcanoes posted:

You know what else is super welcome to the book? No more Kimura or Trigger Scent. My two prayers for Enemy of the State II were answered. I know it was her equivalent to "seeing red", but feral Logan was also the most boring Logan.

Same here. I didn't even mind trigger scent but Kimura was a pretty lame villain. Why the hell do you need to torture an obstinate little girl when you can give people Luke Cage powers willy nilly. Still glad to see some growth with the character on both ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

I wouldn't skip Wolverine and the X-Men. Maybe All New X-Men prior to Battle of the Atom, and X-23 starting with 4 and All New Wolverine.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

RandallODim posted:

Actually, here's a question for the X-thread: Has Hank McCoy ever been not a gently caress up? Was his Avengers time better?

The one time I remember him loving up in the Avengers is when he somehow let Patsy Walker brow beat her into letting her go with the team on some adventure that almost got her killed a bunch of times. That arc ended with her becoming Hellcat so I guess he even fell up on that one.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

I’m guessing at some point Taylor is going to reveal a biological mother, probably Sarah. Laura has been depicted in ANW with the same green eyes as Gabby and Sarah consistently since he’s been writing her, and it’s kind of impossible for a pure clone of a blue eyed person to have green eyes.

The only reason I kind of doubt it’s Sarah now is that the last arc would have been a good time to drop that and they didn’t.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Mutants normally only get their powers at puberty too.

Manifesting early is usually a sign of being omega level or beyond.

Severe trauma can do it too, at least that’s the case with Laura who was seven when her powers activated. I seem to remember that’s also the reason the didn’t coat her whole skeleton in adamantium.

I’m guessing she’s going to stop aging around mid twenties to early thirties like pretty much every comic book character, but with an excuse this time.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

amigolupus posted:

So as someone who never got to read older X-Men comics, what is Kitty Pryde about? Like, what makes her a great character, and what are the stories she's been in?

I know a few things from this thread like how she's always had terrible costumes, was Wolverine's sidekick at one point and dated a bunch of Peters. But my main impression of her is from recent X-Men comics where she keeps jumping from team to team. It makes me think that she's either got wishy-washy loyalties or that she's badly emulating Wolverine's gimmick of being in every team.

As far as stories go: Her first appearance is the first issue of the Dark Phoenix Saga. After that wraps up, she joins the team, there’s an issue they fight Wendigo, then Days of Future Past where she’s the main character. It really helped her out that in her first year she was in the two most iconic X-Men stories.

I’m the beginning she was the teams collective little sister, especially Storm. She served as a good audience surrogate for a long time.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Laura is going back to her old code name with a new creative team

I love ANW and I’m not too thrilled by this so far. Sounds like they’re going to regress the character for some dumb reason.

E:fb

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress poo poo PISS GOD DAMNIT.

Same.

Tom Taylor just posted on Facebook he’s still going to be writing Laura and Gabby in X-Men Red, so there’s that.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

rantmo posted:

They were absolutely married. Whether or not there was paperwork involved, Mystique and Destiny were 100% married; there's no other way to describe their relationship.

Rogue said she wishes they could have gotten married during Northstars wedding. I think that might be the only explicit mention of them being a couple at least I looked a while back and didn’t find anything else.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I mean I don't doubt it's laying ground for the future, but I still don't get the significance or even what it's implying. :v:

Tony goes from saying "you're not his clone" to "you're not just his clone" because she has Sarah's DNA, but... even back in Laura's origin story they mentioned that Sarah used her DNA to replace a missing chromosome. And they obviously resemble each other. It seems like a whole lot of "yeah we already knew this."

It was heavily implied, especially during Taylor’s run, but this is the first confirmation. Yost has denied it in the past.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Denied what, that Laura wasn't 100% female Wolverine?

Realized I was misremembered this quote from Craig Kyle

quote:

Laura’s mother had green eyes, and although she was created by the cloned genetics of Wolverine, there were modifications made to the DNA. She is Logan’s genetic sister, not his exact copy. And although she should have his eye color given the process of her creation, I made the conscious choice to give her the same eyes as her mother. So for the record, X-23’s true eye color is green.

Still pretty sure this is the first confirmation even if it was obvious for no other reason than the eye color.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

How did we know that we were supposed to pronounce the "X" at the start of "Xavier" (i.e. "Ex-avier") before cartoons and so on? In real life I've only ever heard it pronounced as "Zavier" or sometimes as "Javier". If it's pronounced the way it is in the comics in real life, then you'll have to pardon my ignorance.

Before the cartoon I pronounced it “Zavier” like the cabbage patch doll guy. I think that’s the only time ever heard that name in real life before the 90s cartoon.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Has Rachel had any conversations with her mother (either of them) since the early nineties? I remember them coyly avoiding that in All New X-Men and can’t remember her running into Jean since she’s been back.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

davebo posted:

When Scott comes back are Jean and him eventually going to get around to actually giving birth to Rachel? She's been this potential future child of theirs for like thirty years.

Once the DOFP timeline was avoided Rachel became unique in the multiverse. She can’t be born at this point unless they retcon that plot point from Excalibur.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

I tried to get a set of Excalibur tpbs a few years back and just found some dumb Saturn-9 set that resolved the secret and mysterious worldshaking origins of THE WIDGIT and god drat do I wish I had read more of the actual run before I got to that :mad:

I have the entire run of Excalibur from when it was still going and the Widget reveal is still the dumbest thing they ever did.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Skwirl posted:

When's the last time Lockheed showed up in anything. I'll admit to not reading X-Men Gold where I think Kitty was the team leader, so mea culpa if he was the bride of honor at her cancelled wedding.

Haven’t read it but apparently he was is the wedding issue. Before that he was on Lockjaws pet Avengers.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

All Lockheeds are beautiful. Even the one that hangs out at EPCOT.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Cocks Cable posted:

Who is the lady on the bench? That's the only annoying part of the image because she's not easily identifiable but she's given a very prominent position.

I’m assuming that’s Moria MacTaggert given her prominence in the image.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Laura's still kicking, last I checked, and I think Logan formally adopted her.

He said he was formally adopting her right before he hosed off to die, so maybe.

Also he’s her biological father after Adamantium Agenda IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Skwirl posted:

They absolutely aren't the same character unless you've ignored all of her two most recent series.

TBF it seems outside of Laura’s solo books, most writers do.