Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

purple death ray posted:

I don't really read Marvel, is there a reason why Old Logan is on every team just like Regular Logan was before they killed him off? Why make Laura the new Wolverine if they're not going to give her the full Wolverine treatment, i.e. she's on every team and even gets covers on books she's not actually in? Is it just that he's the closest thing to the 'real' Wolverine because that's kinda lovely

In your heart, you know the answer to this. Hint: it's that despite all the handwaving to the contrary, comics still mainly caters to basement trash, and they want their Wolverine to be a grizzled old man, not a young girl. I think it's lovely, but I'm also not the target comics fan.

On the continued front of not being able to have nice things in 2017, it looks like the X-Plain the X-Men is taking a break at the end of the month. Can't say it's a surprise since half the team is moving to the opposite coast, but I do think that there's pretty good odds of the podcast either not coming back in three months or else having different hosts. Sucks, but I'm sure someone else will step up to do the 90s stuff, since it's at least fun to riff on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, I guess it's just me being pessimistic.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, the 'explaining' format is infinitely superior to the 'reaction' format that 99% of these type of shows use. I've started listening to a Buffy podcast and the hosts are funny and everything, but it's all 'and then… and then…'

Yeah, this is the real thing. The series is plot synopsis, but it's not done in order lots of time but instead in a way that makes the explanation a lot more listenable, especially when there's an A & B plot running through multiple issues.

I'm actually super interested in how the Thor podcast turns out, with the pair up of a new and veteran reader. I think it has legs, and it certainly works for Titan Up the Defense.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skwirl posted:

Are all of 90's X-Men this bad?

If you think of Inferno as the payoff of the previous 3-4 years of X-book plotlines, X-Cutioner's Song was the same with the post-Inferno status quo. If you're reading the event without also reading a bit of the stuff leading into it, you're not going to get much out of it and will find it dumb as hell. Same with Inferno, which I think we mostly agree was a good story and did a lot to wrap up the late 80s status quo.

I get that the 90s X-books has a rap for being very bad by the end, but the stuff from this era wasn't bad. It really didn't go off the rails until after Age of Apocalypse, and even then some of the stuff was very good (Generation X mostly)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Basically, 90's X-men took Claremont's schtick of teasing out foreshadowing of upcoming events to the N-th level, but it didn't have Claremont's knack of actually paying anything off. So these days, we know that it's all sizzle, no steak, but at the time, it was pretty juicy sizzle.
That issue is still my favorite single issue comic that I own. Doesn't it also have the origin of Number One Fan?

I think Number One Fan was in a different issue. This one was all in the heads of the characters. It's the ultimate talking heads issue, but I don't think you can really criticize it for the usual critiques that get lobbed at say Bendis. The one from the later PAD X-factor series was also pretty good, but I get the feeling that I was the only one who kept up with that book until it actually was cancelled.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Pietro Maximoff Syndrome. The best.
In its defense, that book came out in ninteen-ninety-loving-three. We were a good seven years away from when Bendis was Bendis-ing all over a mainstream Marvel comic.

I dug Peter David' run out of my comic boxes a couple of years ago, and I was struck by A) how much more uneven it was than I had remembered, and B) how contemporary it felt in tone and pacing. It was really operating on a level of wry self-awareness that's basically become the new normal for internet-era comics.

I'm a Bendis fan and don't mind the talking heads stuff. I just find it funny that people are willing to give this issue a pass while complaining about the latter.

And yeah, PAD X-Factor was the best X-Factor. I think it's pretty telling that David was able to parlay his under two years of the original series into a very long run in volume 2, which was effectively just a continuation of the tone and style of his first with a dramatically similar cast. I think that got him to the point that he has written a majority of all X-factor issues period now. If I was smarter as a kid, I'd have been trying to find the other books he was doing at the time. But I was dumb and penciler-oriented like every kid of the 90s.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Norns posted:

I can't stop laughing right now. Marvel Canada is hilarious!

They had to make a LAW!

Are you listening to X-Plain the X-Men? They go arc by arc through the mutants stuff starting with the reboot. And boy do they make hay out of "Marvel Canada is some crazy country full of intelligence agents and demons" along with lots of other good in-jokes (see: butte sex) while giving some pretty good notes from people (or at least one of them) who does work in the industry and looks at a lot of the way the art is done on the issues.

And, yeah, early Claremont X-Men is incredible. Really, the series is at its best during Dark Phoenix, but is still very good all the way through Claremont's departure right after the launch of adjectiveless. You are going to want to start reading New Mutants and X-Factor when they start up. The first few issues of the latter are rough, but once Simonson gets on-board things get better very quickly.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Norns posted:

No, but that sounds like something I want to listen to!

Here's the link : https://www.xplainthexmen.com

One word of warning for some audiences. Jay (one of the hosts) is really into the queer/feminist theory end of the X-Men, and sees a lot of the series through that. I think it's 100% justified in discussing but lots of comics fans are a bit more reactionary, and I'd rather have someone not bother than go in and get angry about people bringing politics into their funny books discussion. I'd also suggest skipping the first few episodes and going straight into the coverage of Giant-Sized #1 (The Retcon That Walks Like A Man) since the early stuff is covered in very broad strokes and IMO not nearly as good.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 6, 2017

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Norns posted:

Nothing about that turns me off of it. Definitely going to give it a listen. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah, I only brought it up because a guy I suggested it to got hyper mad after listening that I'd suggest some "SJW bullshit" to him disguised as a comics podcast. It was an eye-opener about him, but I guess half of the guys out there just want to read power fantasies and ignore any subtext. Especially with X-Men, I don't see how people can do this, given how much the Claremont especially pushed the limit as to what was publishable at the time.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheat Loaf posted:

I listened to Jay & Miles for a long time and enjoyed them a lot, but I fell off at some point. I think around about the time they got to Mutant Massacre. I enjoyed their insight but thought they sometimes seemed almost too reverential of Claremont's work. I really liked the episode they did with Kurt Busiek as a guest which discussed the Silver Age team, because that was something they appreciated but weren't necessarily huge fans of.

See that's part of the interesting part to me. Claremont's X-Men is the best long run of any comic I can think of. I get that the sex fetish stuff is a huge hangup for some people in this forum, but TBQH I didn't notice it as a sex thing at all when I first read the run. I'm also sort of interested in seeing the podcast go over the reboot post-Muir Island, since that's where I picked up comics originally.

I will also say that on relistening I skip all the non-arc episodes except for the Busiek and Claremont interviews (everyone who likes comics should listen to the latter), as well as the couple of episodes with G. Willow Wilson on them. I'm a bit out of touch with modern X-Men (I think I haven't read an issue since the Apocalypse event) so a lot of that is way less interesting to me than the 80s and 90s stuff. And the spin-offs don't hold a lot of nostalgia for me, so I don't care much about any of the cartoons or movie episodes.

quote:

Anyway, that's definitely on me; it's good podcast and definitely listen if you like the X-Men. I believe Miles has a Thor podcast now which I've been meaning to check out as well.

I've been listening, and it's OK. Miles is much more of a fan and doesn't come in with the same kind of critical eye for the art that Jay usually has. I also never really have been into Thor much, so it's also comics that I don't have the attachment to. There is a lot of passion and effort put into the podcast, so if you really like the Simonson Thor stuff I'd suggest giving it a listen.

Endless Mike posted:

It's cool to find out people not to associate with anymore, at least.

Pretty much. It's been a problem that I've run into with a good number of people that I've gotten back in contact with in the last year or so. There are so many nerdy folks who have red pilled pretty hard, or are "balanced" meaning they just don't like non-cis white dudes being discussed in the hobby but don't yell slurs at them. Nerd hobbies have gotten oddly depressing since the whole gator fiasco made it acceptable to be an open bigot again.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheat Loaf posted:

I agree that it's the best long run in superhero comics. What are the comparisons? I'll go with runs by a single writer that are 10 years or more off the top of my head, but which are also the defining runs in my mind. The closest comparison is Marv Wolfman on the New Teen Titans and its spin-offs, which he wrote for the same length of time as Claremont wrote X-Men - 16 years (Claremont: 1975-1991; Wolfman: 1980-1996). I like that but Claremont's X-Men is definitely better.

The other stuff I compare Claremont's stuff to are that Teen Titans run (which is almost as good early on and trails off very quickly), Peter David's Incredible Hulk (1989-1998), and Brian Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man (2000-currently, depending on how you consider the Mile Morales stuff). I like the latter two runs a lot, but neither is as competently plotted or as long as the Claremont stuff. The Hulk also has the disservice of sticking around a bit too long, since everything after the Pantheon arc is pretty forgettable IMO. There's also a very long arc of LOSH stuff, but that's more writing rotating through a few guys instead of one consistent vision.

Codependent Poster posted:

Lee and Kirby's Fantastic Four is probably the best run ever.

I know I'm committing sacrilege by saying this, but Lee and Kirby aren't even the best FF run ever. Hickman's stuff is much more well thought out, and doesn't suffer from the really bad silver age-isms that all of Stan Lee's writing has.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, yeah, Paul Levitz wrote the Legion for about nine years or so, didn't he? I think he only has one story (Great Darkness Saga) that's really distinguished, but that might be because he allegedly used his pull when he was publisher to bar any Legion issues he wrote from ever being reprinted or collected.

I think there' a good amount of interspersed Keith Giffen issues in there. Having read a huge amount of that run, it's easily the best thing DC was doing at the time and I would suggest it to people who don't like DC's honestly rather schlocky writing on most of its capes books at the time. Really this comment could apply to most of DC's output up until I gave up on DC a year or so after New 52. There's some good in there, but the bad stuff is much more dire than the low end of Marvel.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skwirl posted:

That's not really what I'd use to introduce him to it.

If you can find it for a reasonable price, the old 50 Years of X-Men disc is worth it. It only covers Uncanny, but it is all the Annuals and Giant Sized Issues up until the mid 00s. It's how I first read all the Claremont stuff originally, since as a kid I started reading just after that originally. My first issues were X-Force #2, X-Men #1, & Uncanny #281, and somehow I thought that was cool enough to make me want to keep on getting comics.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm still sort of angry that I started listening to Jay & Miles as my first podcast, and then I find out that basically zero other comics podcasts follow a similar format with anywhere near the same quality. I tried to do something similar, but finding a decent partner and a decent run that hasn't been done to death already is pretty hard, so it never got off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheat Loaf posted:

The closest I can think of that's done issue-by-issue reviews of comics is the Fantasticast, which has been going on for about five years now and I think has just finished covering Stan Lee's run on the book. I admittedly have not listened to it in some time and I'd have to go some distance back in time to figure out where I left off with them.

(I'm pretty sure I'd reached a point where they were talking about the just-announced Fant4stic movie which hadn't been cast yet.)

I tried it, but I don’t really have any love for the 60s Stan Lee stuff like a lot of younger people do. Plus only 1 to 2 issues at a time instead of a whole arc or logical part of one makes everything drag. Titan Up the Defense has that problem doubled since they cover two alternating series. The thing that saves that show is how entertaining the hosts and source material is. 60s anything isn’t that great.

I tried to do something like Jay & Miles with the Peter David Hulk, but that died after my other host didn’t have time to record. That run is also interesting in that I remember it being good, but couldn’t even get four issues in before I hit an awful racist caricature character. It would sort of be an interesting read after that, especially once you get to lovely Trans Sabal crossover and the Jon Pollard apologia in the 90s.