Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno said the rumors are there's 3 more books to be announced at C2E2 next weekend as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

What's this about the X-Men artist calling Kitty a jew?

The artist on Gold #1 put in messages supporting some anti-Christian, anti-Jew political movements in Indonesia. Marvel fired him, though his art's on the next 2 issues. He has doubled and tripled down on everything since.

There's also a panel of Kitty in front of a jewelry store sign in it. It seems some people who have only been aware of the headlines and not the details think that's what the controversy was. Rhyno mentioned having a few customers in his store who thought that's what it was.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Logan is easy to write. Laura isn't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Has Gambit ever realized that he could just pick up a bunch of dirt?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think Soonmot is referring to the Elisabeth Allie mentioned in there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So the X-Men panel ended with no new announcements, I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also those books ran mostly in concurrent pairings, not in sequence.

It mattered less before AvX but afterwards both were written by Bendis and did kind of expect you to keep up with both.

All New started before UXM 3 though so you'd have to figure out with which issues they became synced.

X-O posted:

If someone wanted to do the Herculean task of coming up with an agreed upon order to all the recent X-Men stuff since like I guess New X-Men or something I'll add it to the OP. But I don't recommend it because it'll probably cause a brain bleed.

Nah, that's easy.

New X-Men, skip to Astonishing, skip to Spider-Man and the X-Men, skip to Blue and Gold.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's actually not that hard because we can just steal it.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/x-men-155/guide-to-reading-x-men-comics-1727695/

This seems decent for the modern era? It skips the bad parts of New X-Men and Astonishing so they seem to know what they're talking about.

Just I wouldn't consider Wolverine and the X-Men in the 2005-2012 section optional.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're around, and can't go back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Heathen posted:

The current one. Uncanny X-Men Volume 4 (2016-present)

I guess that would be 2016-2017 now since it's no longer active.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Am I in the Rottentomatoes comment section for a DCEU movie?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 28, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

Fluff in the sense of being generic. I can't think of the word I want to use but this feels very...entry level, base line, unambitious writing. Like the writer is going down a checklist of comic tropes.

In the case of the Wasp, the writer has a really good voice for her that allows her personality to shine through. Similarly Squirrel Girl has a good handle on the comedy beats. Here it's just writing exposition into thought bubbles rather than giving her a voice. She's talking about herself rather than in a way that doesn't create any sort of voice for the character, and nor is it written in a way that even sounds remotely like anyone thinks.

Those other books are at least trying to stand out, if Wasp's character wasn't endearing or the humor of Squirrel Girl wasn't funny then those books wouldn't be enjoyable to me.

The Marvel model is now "Make more Ms. Marvel or Squirrel Girl". Those comics have been rendered generic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was the old Quire.

He's dead now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sentry is the other one.

And it was Grim Reaper instead of Sunfire, Sunfire isn't dead.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 14, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sunfire is in that story and also seemingly dies but he survives as an energy being.

Then he gets his body back by his next appearance.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Uncanny Avengers they did one of those Rogue takes everyone's powers to fight a big bad guy thing. Because Wonder Man is his powers he got absorbed into Rogue and they couldn't get him out after.

He eventually got out by Rogue copying Deadpool's healing which let Wonder Man heal himself back into existence, somehow. She got to keep the powers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And who's in charge there and what their powerset is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wonder if those are intentionally the Morrison era jackets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sinister clones the hell out of himself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did say at a panel that Emma and Polaris are coming to X-Men Blue.

Emma probably wont be joining the team after her last appearance, but Polaris maybe?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Bastion, Emma and Ms. Sinister near the end right? Who's the red one?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So I guess we can assume we're not actually supposed to know who that 4th one is yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess they wanted to hit Emma on the worst among them part?

Also that must be alternate Quicksilver they just fought in the bar when they recruited Jimmy. Although the uniform then had short sleeves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I googled around and it does seem to be Monet. Emplate possessed her during Bunn's Uncanny run, which I didn't read.

I figured it couldn't have been meant to be a reveal, or reviews/discussions would mention it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pubic works project posted:

Oh that's right! But I thought she just popped up in Generation X?

She did.

But she was also on an earlier Blue splash page of upcoming enemies, so who knows. Crossover arc?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grief makes telepaths go insane. It's almost canon at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Also she's a jackboot thug, apparently.

I mean, she's working for a near omega telepath, so...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm withholding judgement on character personality changes at least until Captain America isn't a nazi anymore.

(I mean I think it's dumb, just maybe not permanent.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Emma never controlled Cyclops. She made a psychic projection of him after he died in Death of X to fulfill his plan to destroy the cloud. Alchemy died, but he knew that going in and it was a sacrifice play. The fake projection Cyclops also died there, she let Black Bolt kill "him" to build more of a conflict between the two sides.

Onmi posted:

EDIT: Her actions in Death of X? She tries to keep Cyke's memory alive by projecting him and attempts to destroy the terrigan cloud. Unless I missed something that put her out of alignment with the rest of the X-Men, that's reaching enough to pull several muscles.

The end of IvX is that all of that was just a trick to maneuver everyone into a situation where she could genocide the inhumans.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The last two Gold issues are both under the Secret Empire banner.

The setup is that NYC is under attack and the mansion is being used as a safe house for people, which is how the guy sneaks in. They just don't even bother to mention that on panel.

Didn't save them from being crappy too though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The wrong Cyclops died.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The universe has been remade 6 times since then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hate Kitty Pryde. She's the absolute worst.

Other than Beast.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He died at the end of that storyline.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

X-Men Blue is probably my favorite team book that Marvel is doing now that Ultimates is done. The Secret Empire issues were a bit rocky but I love the team they have set up and the time displaced X-Men have turned into some of my favorite characters in Marvel books right now. Which is weird considering I never cared for the older incarnations that much at all.

If nothing else (and it's close to that) I liked that they used the tie-in to check in on the mutants we haven't seen for a bit.

Edit: That and Emma's new costume which I like.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Until Cyclops went down too, he was the Death in 'Death of X.'

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm assuming this has to be a fakeout because I genuinely can't imagine what impetus there is to bring back Jean Grey right now beyond "we can"

It's in 3 months.

In 3 months of comic time the universe can be destroyed twice and reality rewritten.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Old Man Logan murdered all his best friends.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What horrible thing happened to you to make you a Beast fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If only they had 6 mutants who could enhance and supercharge other mutant's powers.