Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
if you have a spare x86-64 virtual machine handy, you can boot the new demo of Mezzano that was released a few days ago, and enjoy an operating system built almost entirely in Common Lisp

as far as I know the only part of the OS itself that's not written in either Lisp or a little inline assembly is the tiny first stage boot loader, everything else is Lisp including the TCP stack (including IPv6) and all of the device drivers

unfortunately the user experience of the system isn't anything like a classic Lisp Machine: there's no status/mode line, no dired, no zmacs, just a few basic applications including an emacs-style editor (of course) and a simple Lisp listener atop a rudimentary compositing window system

fortunately it's still pretty straightforward to modify while it's running: for the majority of Mezzano's code, you don't have to batch recompile and restart for your changes to take effect, you can just modify the code and reload, and watch your modifications take effect

someone build awful.lisp now so it can be a poasting station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

if you have a spare x86-64 virtual machine handy, you can boot the new demo of Mezzano that was released a few days ago, and enjoy an operating system built almost entirely in Common Lisp

as far as I know the only part of the OS itself that's not written in either Lisp or a little inline assembly is the tiny first stage boot loader, everything else is Lisp including the TCP stack (including IPv6) and all of the device drivers

unfortunately the user experience of the system isn't anything like a classic Lisp Machine: there's no status/mode line, no dired, no zmacs, just a few basic applications including an emacs-style editor (of course) and a simple Lisp listener atop a rudimentary compositing window system

fortunately it's still pretty straightforward to modify while it's running: for the majority of Mezzano's code, you don't have to batch recompile and restart for your changes to take effect, you can just modify the code and reload, and watch your modifications take effect

( :eyepop: )

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

checks out

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
no thanks, op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

This looks like good poo poo, op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm playing doom in lisp!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

(read (eval (post (poop)))

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eschaton posted:

honestly, i'd compare this to trying to use desktop linux

right down to the osx clone window decorations

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
no i will not

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

akadajet posted:

honestly, i'd compare this to trying to use desktop linux

checks out.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
now all it needs is a text editor! ha ha!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
there was some doofus who was all "yay now let's build a modern web browser in Lisp so we can access Wikipedia!"

I don't think he "gets it"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i think he does

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I don't get it

what did people do on lisp machines

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

wrote AI-related software at defense contractors, petroleum companies, banks and financial services firms, telecom companies, and university and corporate research labs

and in their off hours they wrote Usenet newsreaders and a couple video games (Spacewar and Asteroids, the Asteroids game really looks like the arcade, including the phosphor persistence)

Symbolics was also big in 3D, they were basically Silicon Graphics before SGI was, but they were so goddamn slow to update their hardware (hanging everything on "Lisp is a secret weapon") that one year, all of SIGGRAPH was demoing with S-Graphics and the next year everyone was demoing with GL on Irix

there wasn't nearly as much of a hacking scene as people think, it turns out, because not many places will let random undergrads get serious time on a $50,000 workstation that they're not even allowed to unbox without a technician present (seriously), sign an individual software license for, and pay 10-20% per year indefinitely for maintenance

and people couldn't even take decommissioned systems home or anything, Symbolics demanded proof of decommissioning in order to allow you to stop paying maintenance; if you wanted to take a system home that work was decommissioning, you had to pay a license transfer fee ($5K) and then pay maintenance indefinitely ($1K or more per year)

but you did get to use Lisp for everything, and before the First AI Winter, that was all some people really needed

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

eschaton posted:

there wasn't nearly as much of a hacking scene as people think, it turns out, because not many places will let random undergrads get serious time on a $50,000 workstation that they're not even allowed to unbox without a technician present (seriously), sign an individual software license for, and pay 10-20% per year indefinitely for maintenance

and people couldn't even take decommissioned systems home or anything, Symbolics demanded proof of decommissioning in order to allow you to stop paying maintenance; if you wanted to take a system home that work was decommissioning, you had to pay a license transfer fee ($5K) and then pay maintenance indefinitely ($1K or more per year)

lmaooooooo

what in the gently caress was the purpose of all that utter horseshit?

every time I learn something about symbolics it gets more weird and hosed up

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

lisp is useless dogshit that only exists for academics to masturbate over

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like racket

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
let me know when they make an os in vi.

also this:

Sweevo posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
having said that, it would have made a lot more sense to have created the tensorflow interface in some kind of lisp variant instead of python.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
without lisp you goofballs would still be banging out imperatives

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

[what?]

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
i write imperative style regardless of language

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

(begin expr ...+) :getin:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sweevo posted:

what academics though?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
machine code is imperative. higher level languages that aren't are just scripting an imperative code generator.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don't get it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

wrote Generic Tree Parsing Algorithm #2957

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don't get it

expert systems mostly. bayesian filtering, backward chaining. but it turns out that AI is still hard and the systems are brittle (their domains are small and going outside them leads to unintended consequences) and expensive (the hardware was expensive and you needed expensive talent to program them)... and there is always the knowledge acquisition bottleneck.

like all the special purpose minicomputers they were slaughtered when consumer processors and memory got cheap enough that you didn't need bespoke hardware anymore to get useful performance. you don't need a 50k workstation with a squillion dollar service contract when you can just order some 386s/486s.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

machine code is imperative. higher level languages that aren't are just scripting an imperative code generator.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ultravoices posted:

like all the special purpose minicomputers they were slaughtered when consumer processors and memory got cheap enough that you didn't need bespoke hardware anymore to get useful performance. you don't need a 50k workstation with a squillion dollar service contract when you can just order some 386s/486s.

what's saddest about this is that they actually sort of understood this

even before the MacIvory "LispM on a NuBus card" they had the UX series, which were a different configuration of the XL400 and XL1200 main CPU cards that could be used in a Sun (with 9U VME slots, like a Sun 3 or pre-SBus Sun 4) and be accessed via the command line and X11

companies like petroleum exploration companies would have these racked in Sun servers with a "check in/check out" system for logging into (since they were single user systems) but it meant they could deploy their applications using Xterms or low-end Suns instead of dealing with a full 300kg LispM per seat

around the same time (late 80s) they also introduced CLOE, their "Common Lisp Operating Environment," where you could take software you'd developed in Genera and, with quite a few restrictions, compile it for deployment on commodity i386 systems running DOS or, once it came out, Windows 3

if they'd had a skunkworks to use their CLOE code generator to port their entire software stack to i386, even if it demanded 32MB or more of memory, they could have had way more life than they did by continuing to peruse custom hardware

and having shipped CLOE at all means that someone inside had at least some idea that commodity hardware was worth considering—maybe I and some friends need to start trying to dig out that oral history, since even their final effort (OpenGenera on Alpha) didn't go in that direction

eschaton fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 15, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

speaking of OpenGenera, the Virtual Lisp Machine was ported to x86-64, and someone has actually "dockerized" it to work around some of its weird early-90s requirements (wanting to run as root and to have raw network access) if you want to give it a try

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just watched a 13 minute video to understand what a lisp machine actually does and now I want to kill myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4-YnLpLgtk

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

The Management posted:

I just watched a 13 minute video to understand what a lisp machine actually does and now I want to kill myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4-YnLpLgtk

because it's an improvement on its successors, right?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

because it's an improvement on its successors, right?

I seriously have never seen a lisp machine before so I didn't know how it worked. it's definitely old-world shared memory mentality that seems bizarre in a protected memory world.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

there's this weird myth that's grown up around lisp and lisp machines where the few dozen people who ever actually used them are convinced that lisp machines were really important and influential and central to shaping the hacker culture of the 70s and 80s, even though the total number of machines ever built is only a few thousand and anyone who claims to have used one is probably lying to impress other idiot greybeards

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lisp was more than lisp machines, and was the one place one actually got high-level language features for like a solid 40 years of computing, it was almost by necessity influential as a feature at a time leaked into other systems

also clojure is cool and good, whereas unfortunately cl is not going to start making it *now*, so the os effort is pretty pointless

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

why not just have a lisp shell wrap a normal os??

i guess i dont 'get it'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

people with really bad ideas love building entire OSes around them

see: modula-2/oberon, or losethos

• Locked thread