Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Sweevo posted:

people with really bad ideas love building entire OSes around them

see: linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ator posted:

why not just have a lisp shell wrap a normal os??

i guess i dont 'get it'

that's called emacs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

our dear forum name is pretty apropos here, as lol at writing an os in c/c++, setting oneself up for failure right there

still no success at doing something saner, but the security circus does take its toll over time

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what are you babbling about

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Ator posted:

why not just have a lisp shell wrap a normal os??

i guess i dont 'get it'
"Hmm that's an interesting oak dresser you built, but why didn't youjust buy one from ikea and paint it?"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gazpacho posted:

"Hmm that's an interesting oak dresser you built, but why didn't youjust buy one from ikea and paint it?"

can we please not compare programming to an actual craft like woodworking? it's insanely offensive to conflate the two

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
wrong

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if it's offensive that's only because there are so many programmers doing lovely work for pay

cf: the english frame riots

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gazpacho posted:

if it's offensive that's only because there are so many programmers doing lovely work for pay

cf: the english frame riots

this assumes that programming is anything other than lovely, both morally and economically

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
programming is necessary to modern society and petty cool. the fact that capitalism makes tech culture lovely is a fault of capitalism, not programming

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Silver Alicorn posted:

programming is necessary to modern society and petty cool. the fact that capitalism makes tech culture lovely is a fault of capitalism, not programming

programming is a symptom of capitalism in that it is unproductive activity that is given vastly disproportionate economic importance and actively harms those who Do Real Labor

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Stymie posted:

programming is a symptom of capitalism in that it is unproductive activity that is given vastly disproportionate economic importance and actively harms those who Do Real Labor

it is cool and good because it makes computers do more of the labor. computers doing things is p cool actually. the wealth generated from them just needs to be distributed differently.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Stymie posted:

as someone who did manual labor for as long as he has programmed, don't qjuote stymie

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SamDabbers posted:

it is cool and good because it makes computers do more of the labor. computers doing things is p cool actually. the wealth generated from them just needs to be distributed differently.

programming is not Labor in any sense of the word, it is more akin to masturbation

the wealth from those who are paid to program should be forcibly redistributed and the programmers themselves re-educated to become productive members of society

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
people getting stymied itt. mods, you know what to do

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
btw op all my vms are in use rn so idkwts

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
people who talk about Lisp as a high level or functional language have never dealt with ldb or loop

most real world Lisp is imperative and/or OO, only students doing coursework write code functional-style or with needless recursion

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
also it feels like my thread here has really "made it" now

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
only gay people program in lisp

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
(((YOSPOS))), bithc.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

eschaton posted:

people who talk about Lisp as a high level or functional language have never dealt with ldb or loop

most real world Lisp is imperative and/or OO, only students doing coursework write code functional-style or with needless recursion

since there is no real world lisp my point stnads

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

eschaton posted:

isn't most real world lisp clojure (and therefore functional)?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

also it feels like my thread here has really "made it" now

voted 5 for literally posting a thread about a POS OS

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

someone wrote an NTP client in Lisp and I think a friend is going to port it to Genera so he doesn't need to set the clock after turning on his XL1201

after all, almost every IC on the densely packed 40cm by 40cm CPU card is socketed, except the loving Mostek MK48-series "timekeeper" which doesn't have a user-replaceable battery and isn't rechargeable

at least Genera doesn't really use the timekeerper's nvram for anything, unlike Sun hardware, but at least Sun socketed the drat chips

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sweevo posted:

lisp is useless dogshit that only exists for academics to masturbate over

pram
Jun 10, 2001
eschaton owns though thx for sharing all this info :allears:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

the discussion was about lisps impact, it was defined in 1958, and most of what know counts as high-level or functional owes a great debt to it, it was the best example of high-level functional programming for many many years

its lack of purity was, additionally, probably a happy accident, since pure functional programming remains even less relevant than lisp

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the best example of [...] functional programming for many many years

smartest retard, tallest dwarf, etc

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

but an inspiration to retarded dwarfs everywhere! :shobon:

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

the problem with lisp is all the stupid parentheses!!

surely we can fix this problem https://sourceforge.net/p/readable/wiki/Solution/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

must note again that that suggestion is in the original '58 paper

overall quite safe to dismiss people who complain loudly about the parenthesis as bikeshedders, if nothing else because most lisps have far more serious issues than syntactic details (possibly excepting clojure, i will admit that i don't know it well enough, but everyitng i have ever seen of it has seemed fantastically reasonable)

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 16, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I need a system with a rub out key

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

akadajet posted:

I need a system with a rub out key

even if it needs a sizable fraction of an hour of hardware maintenance per hour of uptime?

this recycling company got a Symbolics 3640 in (someone just dropped it off!) and they started putting boards on eBay, so I contacted them about whether they had the whole system

they said "sure, want us to power test it for you?"

never do this, Symbolics used a cheap vendor for the PSUs and they can fail in ways that damage the system, they need careful recapping and testing before you even attempt to run the system

also you can't just sub in a modern PC PSU because they need a lot of amps at interesting voltages, like both +5.2V and -5.2V for the ECL bits

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Ator posted:

the problem with lisp is all the stupid parentheses!!

surely we can fix this problem https://sourceforge.net/p/readable/wiki/Solution/

as a junior junior coding learner (3rd grade), once I learn why there were parens around expressions, it wasn't hard to understand.

getting that explanation, and why an expression was different from a special form was different from a macro and why there are at least six different kinds of equality *was* hard to understand.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

must note again that that suggestion is in the original '58 paper

overall quite safe to dismiss people who complain loudly about the parenthesis as bikeshedders, if nothing else because most lisps have far more serious issues than syntactic details (possibly excepting clojure, i will admit that i don't know it well enough, but everyitng i have ever seen of it has seemed fantastically reasonable)
i was gonna refer to the whole M-expr/S-expr history but

pram
Jun 10, 2001
A monad is just a monoid in the category of endofunctors, what's the problem?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

pram posted:

A monad is just a monoid in the category of endofunctors, what's the problem?

So, a monad is an endofunctor?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
watch your language

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
programming is an endeavor worthy of respe*vomits never-ending pseudo-mathematical jargon to conceal inherent lack of value*

please give me all your money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

my goth gf posted:

only gay people program in lisp

Q: How is Lisp like Judy Garland?

A: Both are homoiconic and died in the sixties.

• Locked thread