Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don't get it

what did people do on lisp machines

expert systems mostly. bayesian filtering, backward chaining. but it turns out that AI is still hard and the systems are brittle (their domains are small and going outside them leads to unintended consequences) and expensive (the hardware was expensive and you needed expensive talent to program them)... and there is always the knowledge acquisition bottleneck.

like all the special purpose minicomputers they were slaughtered when consumer processors and memory got cheap enough that you didn't need bespoke hardware anymore to get useful performance. you don't need a 50k workstation with a squillion dollar service contract when you can just order some 386s/486s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Ator posted:

the problem with lisp is all the stupid parentheses!!

surely we can fix this problem https://sourceforge.net/p/readable/wiki/Solution/

as a junior junior coding learner (3rd grade), once I learn why there were parens around expressions, it wasn't hard to understand.

getting that explanation, and why an expression was different from a special form was different from a macro and why there are at least six different kinds of equality *was* hard to understand.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Nude posted:

The only time I've seen lisp talked about in a practical way is in emacs. Hell, I'll be willing to bet that anyone who is serious about lisp also passionately uses emacs.

in my journey to become a scootypuff jr. computer toucher, i worked through lisp/scheme tutorials, and it's been very instructive and fun making ~* ELEMENTAL COMPUTATION *~ out of basically nothing. like you can build a couple of crap versions of useful data structures, and inefficient sorting algorithms out of those crap basic elements and putting that together tickled me.

is it practical, not because it is the year of our lord carly rae jepsen 2017, and computer touching is about knowing standard libraries and how to glue them together with other things to get the results you want.

• Locked thread