Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
now all it needs is a text editor! ha ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i think he does

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
without lisp you goofballs would still be banging out imperatives

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

machine code is imperative. higher level languages that aren't are just scripting an imperative code generator.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Ator posted:

why not just have a lisp shell wrap a normal os??

i guess i dont 'get it'
"Hmm that's an interesting oak dresser you built, but why didn't youjust buy one from ikea and paint it?"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
wrong

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if it's offensive that's only because there are so many programmers doing lovely work for pay

cf: the english frame riots

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
btw op all my vms are in use rn so idkwts

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

eschaton posted:

people who talk about Lisp as a high level or functional language have never dealt with ldb or loop

most real world Lisp is imperative and/or OO, only students doing coursework write code functional-style or with needless recursion

since there is no real world lisp my point stnads

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

must note again that that suggestion is in the original '58 paper

overall quite safe to dismiss people who complain loudly about the parenthesis as bikeshedders, if nothing else because most lisps have far more serious issues than syntactic details (possibly excepting clojure, i will admit that i don't know it well enough, but everyitng i have ever seen of it has seemed fantastically reasonable)
i was gonna refer to the whole M-expr/S-expr history but

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
watch your language

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Stymie posted:

programming is a spiritually and materially rewarding occupation for mathematically-inclined people that improves public quality of life
:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Lambda: The Ultimate Laxative

• Locked thread