Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I would be happy to see Orlando move their pick for him. Or vucevic :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sixers will give you one (1) Jalill Okafor

2 for 3, who says no

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Casey said in an interview today that he's gotten word from the FO's that he's coming back. We kinda her it before but this is another confirmation. FFS.

Who was the guy who said earlier that it's not even that it's bad, it's just that it's so goddamn predictable? He was right on the money. You get to watch the same lovely system take the team to around 50 wins before flaming out in the playoffs for another year and there's no surprises. I've watched this story for the last 4 years and I'm getting tired of it. It was kinda fun for the first year or two but it's so goddamn dumb treading water when the team has the exact same loving issues, year after year after year.

I tend to operate as a full time Raptors fan and part time Spurs fan. Maybe it's time to swap those around until I see something interesting happen.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

attackmole posted:

Casey said in an interview today that he's gotten word from the FO's that he's coming back. We kinda her it before but this is another confirmation. FFS.

Who was the guy who said earlier that it's not even that it's bad, it's just that it's so goddamn predictable? He was right on the money. You get to watch the same lovely system take the team to around 50 wins before flaming out in the playoffs for another year and there's no surprises. I've watched this story for the last 4 years and I'm getting tired of it. It was kinda fun for the first year or two but it's so goddamn dumb treading water when the team has the exact same loving issues, year after year after year.

I tend to operate as a full time Raptors fan and part time Spurs fan. Maybe it's time to swap those around until I see something interesting happen.

Well if Lowry doesn't return you might get to watch them win like 35 games or something. Surely that's what you desire

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I feel like Derozan/Powell/JV/Joseph would be about a 42-42 team but I might be underestimating how bad poo poo would get.

There's a certain irony that all the time people talk about wanting their team to have an identity. The Casey Raptors sure as poo poo have an identity. They win more now and there's a few more exciting plays, but the style and feel of the team have remained remarkably similar whether it's the godawful Rudy Gay-era or the Ibaka-era. Even if Ibaka and Lowry walk and the team starts sucking, I feel like the Raptors are still gonna feel and play like the Raptors as long as Casey and Derozan are there. That kinda sounds like a good thing, but because the name 'Raptors' has become completely synonymous with fraudulent ugly basketball that gets exposed by good teams and coaches, I'm not so optimistic.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
It was a good season boys. On to the draft. Special thanks to IT for an incredible year-long display

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Magic is going to trade Russell to clear the way for Ball.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Lakers fanbase is way more tied up in Russell than I think the general internet might realize. Johnson's honeymoon almost ended prematurely when Russell was benched for no reason suddenly after Johnson took over, the pro Russell fanbase immediately started lighting the torches and gathering pitchforks for both Johnson and Walton . . . which is why Russell ended up back in the starting lineup a few days later with a green light. I don't think they'll actually trade him at this point. Lonzo's fanbase is UCLA fans at this point (and people who don't watch college basketball but "heard" he was good), which is a pretty large group of people but still only a small part of the Lakers fan base.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

It was a good season boys. On to the draft. Special thanks to IT for an incredible year-long display

I know it's been theory crafted to death but what offseason moves do you personally want the Celtics to make? I'm still on the fence on most of them.

Is there any possibility that KD is back on the market?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there any possibility that KD is back on the market?

He's making noise that he wants to go back. I think he ends up taking another 1 year to qualify for an Early-Bird and the 7.5% raises. Even if he takes a smallish paycut to keep Iggy/Livingston this may end up paying him the most money.

So the question for KD is: Do you think he'd leave money on the table to not play for Golden State? Seems unlikely to me.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kd moving depends on the outcome of the finals. if they lose to the cavs again he absolutely picks up his option to try again

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Meanwhile, King Zing is entering villain mode.
https://twitter.com/TJDhoops/status/867824180154249216/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhoopshype.com%2Frumors%2F

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I enjoy shirtless workout season

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i would think pros wouldn't compare their training regimen to ivan drago since in the movie he used steroids but what do i know

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shear Modulus posted:

i would think pros wouldn't compare their training regimen to ivan drago since in the movie he used steroids but what do i know

NBA is very light on drug testing anyway but more importantly Comrade Zing clearly supports Lithuanian reunification with the Soviet Union

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Can Chicago do Portland a solid, and trade Jimmy for their three picks this year, plus Allen Crabbe/Meyers Leonard? or both? thanks

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TheShazbot posted:

Can Chicago do Portland a solid, and trade Jimmy for their three picks this year, plus Allen Crabbe/Meyers Leonard? or both? thanks

CJ and the 3 picks sure.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Cool Buff Man posted:

Welcome. I'm getting your care package together. Where should I send it? If you wanna hit me in the DMs...they're open

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

NickRoweFillea posted:

Welcome. I'm getting your care package together. Where should I send it? If you wanna hit me in the DMs...they're open

Ohhhh buddy. Sent a PM. Now I'm excited.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Asking here as well as in Trad Games, but does anyone know of any basketball tabletop games? I think I'm gonna try my hand at making a D&D for basketball (think 2K MyPlayer but with multiple players and probably turn-based) and want some inspiration for on-court play rules.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Asking here as well as in Trad Games, but does anyone know of any basketball tabletop games? I think I'm gonna try my hand at making a D&D for basketball (think 2K MyPlayer but with multiple players and probably turn-based) and want some inspiration for on-court play rules.

This is pure strain off season gold and we still have the finals left to play. I want to sit down and roll up a Jeremy Lin archetype with you all.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I'll play as jr smith where each turn I have to draw a random card from a special deck and have to play it right away. Maybe I'll draw the shoot and make 4 3s in a row card, or maybe i'll draw the commit a fragrant 2 foul against a random player, in the game and out of the game, and get ejected card.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'll play as jr smith where each turn I have to draw a random card from a special deck and have to play it right away. Maybe I'll draw the shoot and make 4 3s in a row card, or maybe i'll draw the commit a fragrant 2 foul against a random player, in the game and out of the game, and get ejected card.

drat I was gonna do that ah well I'll play as Enes Kanter where for every 5 blown pnr coverages I must draw from the Erdogan deck to see if I get deported to Turkey

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kibner posted:

Blood Bowl is a fantasy-based sports tabletop game that is based off gridiron football, it might have some inspiration for modeling a sport.

Also when I hear "D&D for basketball" I can't help but think of Kuroko's Basket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeY2P4PqsY

Edit: research turns up "Statis Pro Basketball": https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4453/statis-pro-basketball

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 29, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, Bloodbowl is a thing I'm looking at, but I don't want this to be as random as that game.

Kuroko is also definitely in my mind. I'm actually debating whether to enable and encourage those kind of shenanigans in a way similar to World Wide Wrestling or to make the on-court action more like a tactical game like the goon made Strike! rpg.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Ooh, good find on that Statis game! I'll need to check that out.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kibner posted:

Strat-o-matic is apparently still making new versions. They were big back in the ancient days before computers could sim sports.

http://www.strat-o-matic.com/about/how-to-play/basketball#board

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Blood Bowl is a fantasy-based sports tabletop game that is based off gridiron football, it might have some inspiration for modeling a sport.

Also when I hear "D&D for basketball" I can't help but think of Kuroko's Basket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeY2P4PqsY

Edit: research turns up "Statis Pro Basketball": https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4453/statis-pro-basketball

My stepdad definitely played the baseball version of this. When he first started dating my mom his room was full of these sorts of things, even had the chart on his wall.

He also played the war games that were the precursor to tabletop RPGs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm gonna be Ricky Rubio/Kuroko (same thing really) and make all you look way better by getting you better looks while simultaneously getting all the blame because I don't score enough.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Kibner posted:

This sounds like a really fun idea, but I have to admit it seems way more fun as an off-court type of thing.

...of course, in general, the NBA is a lot more fun off the court.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

glowing-fish posted:

This sounds like a really fun idea, but I have to admit it seems way more fun as an off-court type of thing.

that is the most specific and weird red text i've ever seen

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

there are other mountains tho, its true

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

chunkles posted:

that is the most specific and weird red text i've ever seen

hahahahaha

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

attackmole posted:

Masai loving sucks and needs to go since that's the only way Casey will be gone.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

glowing-fish posted:

Yup, off-court will be important. Thanks!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Huh, I must have missed this while I was out of town, but the Pels are looking to hire Sam Mitchell as an assistant coach. I don't really know what to think about this. I don't believe he will will get much say in play-style but will be tasked with implementing one he is given?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Huh, I must have missed this while I was out of town, but the Pels are looking to hire Sam Mitchell as an assistant coach. I don't really know what to think about this. I don't believe he will will get much say in play-style but will be tasked with implementing one he is given?

Sam Mitchell did a really good job with the Timberwolves last year. He was put in a horrible position and every single player improved as the year went on. The players really liked him and he was really candid and interesting when talking to fans/media. Basically an ideal assistant coach.

As a head coach his record is pretty poor, I think his strengths are in development and locker-room as opposed to straight schemes and X's and O's. I think he'd be a good complement to Alvin Gentry.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Sam Mitchell taught Zach Lavine how to dribble by forcing him to weave through dummies made out of hockey equipment (with hockey sticks as limbo bars to force him to keep his dribble low) and look what happened to Zach's game. I'd love to have Sam Mitchell as an asst coach

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sam is an incredible assistant coach and I was really sad that he was essentially forced out by the way things went down here after Flip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lessail posted:

Masai loving sucks and needs to go since that's the only way Casey will be gone.

Yeah boooo to the best executive the team's ever had, he only fixed huge problems and made the team extremely successful.

Now that you've said this, they'll end up with Billy King or something. Thanks.

• Locked thread