Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/karltowns/status/859866422415118337

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
One day when I was watching basketball with my father, the one State Farm commercial where it was Chris Paul and his cousin came on, and we had seen the ad like 500 times before, but I turned to my father and said "Do you realize...both of those characters are played by Chris Paul" and my father laughed and was like "Yes"

Also, I was really really high.

That is my Chris Paul story. Name another NBA player that has provided such a moment of family togetherness.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

leftist heap posted:

How much do people think Andre Roberson is worth or will get. I was listening to The Starters (yeah they are idiots I know) and they thought $15 million a year was way too much, but he'd probably get it.

I don't see that happening. Usually you don't shell out that much for a guy that doesn't score. I'd expect more in the 7-10 range, but you never know.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't know how they'll do it, I don't know who they need to trade and waive, but Evan Turner will be a Bull within two years.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I'm wracking my brain trying to think of who makes the most sense as a future washed up Bull but the first guy who came to mind was Michael Carter Williams. oops

E: jah okafor

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't know how they'll do it, I don't know who they need to trade and waive, but Evan Turner will be a Bull within two years.

Don't you loving do this to me. Don't you dare speak this into existence.

I will loving end you, and then the Bulls Organization. And then myself.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
A wing that shoots 50% on FTs getting $15 million a year seems offensive to the game of basketball

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Now that Tony Parker is dead, is CP3 to SA a real thing?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BallisticClipboard posted:

Now that Tony Parker is dead, is CP3 to SA a real thing?

Only if he takes a massive paycut, which I don't think he will. The Spurs would either have to somehow move mediocre contracts or have guys like Gasol not pick up their options. Also, as of right now Parker is still getting paid next year and would have to agree to not take salary to retire.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of who makes the most sense as a future washed up Bull but the first guy who came to mind was Michael Carter Williams. oops

E: jah okafor

There is this game named Carmelo....

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
The Blazers players, led by Damian Lillard, divided their playoff share money among their support staff:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/damian-lillard-rallies-teammates-to-donate-bonus-playoff-money-to-trail-blazers-staff/

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Next year's starting pf will be one chris bosh

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

glowing-fish posted:

The Blazers players, led by Damian Lillard, divided their playoff share money among their support staff:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/damian-lillard-rallies-teammates-to-donate-bonus-playoff-money-to-trail-blazers-staff/

That's really cool.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/861238545947787265

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/kporzee/status/861281351563194368

Two things: Porzingis is already speaking like he's from NY, so i doubt he'll leave of his own accord. his emoji selection is good, although i'm concerned since it appears he's flipping a lot of people off

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
King Zing has been unhappy with the Knicks at least since all star break. This is just damage control. Young players don't get anyday in where they get to play so him being unhappy with the team really doesn't mean much though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Probably lots of good fishing this time of year in Ontario.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hello raptors !!!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Fire Casey sign Becky

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

congratulations to the raptors on their greatest accomplishment, a regular season victory against the 41-41 bulls

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The only option is to tank

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

R.D. Mangles posted:

congratulations to the raptors on their greatest accomplishment, a regular season victory against the 41-41 bulls

This is really what signalled that 16-17 was the end of an era.

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if the tear down begins in earnest this offsesaon, then uses a mediocre 17-18 as a justification to start a full rebuild.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Imho 15% Lowry comes back.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/bycycle/status/861343922882318341

lol noooo

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Crossposting from G/V

If the Raptors decide to rebuild my dream is that we trade Derozan to the Lakers and fleece Magic in a classic Ma$ai move. That's my fan-fiction of the day, thanks for reading, god bless.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

attackmole posted:

Crossposting from G/V

If the Raptors decide to rebuild my dream is that we trade Derozan to the Lakers and fleece Magic in a classic Ma$ai move. That's my fan-fiction of the day, thanks for reading, god bless.

Lowry to the Spurs confirmed.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/861361572928786432

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Honey w what is that
I think it's... a raptor
Should we do something like call the police, whys it just laying there
No, no we should just ignore it, let's... let's just walk around it

:rip: The Raptors
They don't know what to do :rip:

The Pacers played a significantly tighter series (16 point differential vs 61) against the cav and yet their president jumped ship and their star franchise player wants to play for the 2017 los angeles big ballers. Really puts it all into perspective

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Moving west should fix his post season problems.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Fans of the Raptors, don't look.

I found this on another site and had to share

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spacebump posted:

Fans of the Raptors, don't look.

I found this on another site and had to share

Now I wonder what would have been posted if the Bucks won.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I hate to say it, but we can fire Casey and all and try to install a new system but the basic issues still remain: a) our role players can't hit open shots and b) the offense will never change with DeMar DeRozan on the team.

I love DeMar. Like, a lot. I think he is probably the most important Toronto athlete since Vince Carter. He loves the city, has represented it well, is by all means one of the nicest dudes in the league, but it isn't going to work.

It was summed up last week on a podcast I listened to (I forget which one): the stuff he does well just isn't important in the modern NBA. He's valiantly attempted to become a better playmaker but will always be average. He'll never shoot threes. His defense ranges from mediocre to disastrous.

So I really think the Raptors need to a) let everyone go and trade DeMar, even if that is technically bad asset management or b) re-sign Lowry and Ibaka, let Patterson go, and trade DeMar. I actually think if you did the former this team would crater into a top-5 pick - give Norm the keys and watch it go off a cliff - but if you want to keep competing and see if you can improve, you give Lowry and Co a year and then if it doesn't work out, a full firesale and rebuild.

Even so, I'm skeptical you'll be able to get rid of supermaxes in the new money era. Sure, we've seen every contract can be traded, but those weren't $30million deals.

Weird times are ahead.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Welcome Raptors fans. I hope you don't swindle Earvin Johnson, although it would probably be easier for the Raptors to do a mini blowup than a lot of teams, their cap situation isn't that bad, they have draft picks and if they are willing to move some pieces maybe under value they can end up getting more back in return.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

iospace posted:

Now I wonder what would have been posted if the Bucks won.

Well, for that series... remember the video for Queens of the Stone Age's "No One Knows?"

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Has the mascot artist updates his pictures yet? I don't think I've seen the second round ones yet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

glowing-fish posted:

Has the mascot artist updates his pictures yet? I don't think I've seen the second round ones yet.

They were probably posted in the playoffs thread since none of those teams have gone fishin yet but here you are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/68pcdv/the_duels_of_the_second_round_by_asur/

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Already Lowry hit jobs absolving Casey from blame

I'm not following next year if Casey is still coach. Moving on from him is the least that could be done and it won't because Masai loves him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kyle Lowry deserves some of the blame because ultimately he's a guy who plays heavy minutes and is a vet leader, even if he did miss 2 game sin the series. But I agree, Casey got to go. And even then, maybe it's time to blow it up. I love Kyle and DeMar, I think this is the most likable Raps team ever, but something has to change.

Amusing story: Lue fined JR Smith a C Note for biting on a DeRozan pump fake in game 4, as part of an overall challenge to not bite on fakes anymore.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 8, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

And even then, maybe it's time to blow it up. I love Kyle and DeMar, I think this is the most likable Raps team ever, but something has to change.

This is kind of the problem. If you blow it up, what do you do? Their 2017 pick is going to be bad, and they have a lot of contracts that will be hard to move. Being a 50 win, 2nd round team in the NBA seems like a rough place, but its a lot more enjoyable than many other places. The best move is to keep things together and see if you find gold somewhere, otherwise enjoy the 3-4 seed and winning a playoff series every year. If nothing else a full year of Ibaka might provide some lift.

I mean, if you blow up every team that gets stuck at a 50-win ceiling, you'd have most teams in the league tanking over and over. The Philly rebuild wasn't pretty and not something I think you drop this team to try to emulate.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

It is if you have championship aspirations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Lockback posted:

This is kind of the problem. If you blow it up, what do you do? Their 2017 pick is going to be bad, and they have a lot of contracts that will be hard to move. Being a 50 win, 2nd round team in the NBA seems like a rough place, but its a lot more enjoyable than many other places. The best move is to keep things together and see if you find gold somewhere, otherwise enjoy the 3-4 seed and winning a playoff series every year. If nothing else a full year of Ibaka might provide some lift.

I mean, if you blow up every team that gets stuck at a 50-win ceiling, you'd have most teams in the league tanking over and over. The Philly rebuild wasn't pretty and not something I think you drop this team to try to emulate.

Were you the person last offseason saying that "second-tier team that could sneak into the finals in an injury-lucky year" was a fine place to be? I think a couple of people were arguing that. I'm generally okay with that but I think it might be quite costly just to maintain that this offseason. Lowry, Patterson-role, and Ross-role aren't coming back at cost, so just treading water would probably require them to commit quite a bit of money.

I'd be okay if the Raptors let Lowry walked, got what they could for JV, and started giving the younger players space to develop while Demar jacked up glorious, glorious long 2s.

e: On Raptors Republic season roundup, they said that back in the day Colangelo rejected Valanciunas for Harden. Now that would've been interesting.

• Locked thread