Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Big Dumb Timberwolf opinions:

I didn't get to watch as much of them as I have in the past, but I probably got to see about a third of their games or so.

By record they improved by 2 games, but if you dig into the numbers, there's some real improvements going on. Their SRS went from 24th in the league, to the 18th. Their expected W-L was 38-44. Now the point of playing is to get Wins, but I think Thibs was trying to build things during the season that hurt their record.

KAT got better. Wiggins treaded water, but I think he is playing smarter. LaVine got better then got hurt. Rubio started off the season awful but ended it really strong. Dieng's defense got better and he signed a very nice contract.

I have no idea what happens with Shabazz. He's a really effective offensive sparkplug who plays awful defense and has no real position. He could land somewhere for the minimum, or someone could give him a 4/35 contract. I have no idea. I'd like the Wolves to offer him the QO, and then either have him for 1 more season or try to sign him to a 3/18 or something.

Dunn is a weird player and I don't think he'll be an NBA-Starter-Level guy. Too many holes in his game.

Bjelica is a poor man's Mirotic and he'll be 29 next year. Rotation guy.

Tyus Jones is underrated.

For needs, they need a SF who can shoot and defend, and a real PF (ideally who has some range). I wouldn't mind slotting someone else as the starting SF, putting Wiggins as SG, and bringing LaVine in the split time with the 2nd unit. They should also stop trying to trade Rubio.

Really, keep Ricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Glumslinger posted:

[*]Ingram had an awful start to the year, but he got better as the season went along and his post-ASB numbers are very respectable. He needs to put on some muscle this offseason to help him in the paint (though he has got much better at finishing as the season went on), and he also needs to improve his 3pt shot. Also, his FTs, man, how the hell did he shoot so badly from the line?

Anyone trying to grade Ingram on just one season is really doing a disservice. When he was drafted he was a guy that was going to take a couple years to fill out and build the right NBA skills. The fact that he got better as the year went on is encouraging. I don't think anyone will know anything about him until the end of next season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So one thing I like about the Heat, they always have fun cap things going on year after year.

Not accounting for Freon Dion, they have somewhere in the $38 million range next year, enough for a max contract but probably not a ton else. Or they could re-sign Dion for, let's say, 12 million and have another for a mini-max level contract.

What does Miami try to do? Lure Hayward? Swing for Blake Griffin? Blow it all on Derrick Rose?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Julia Louis Dreyfus owning a wheat factory is really funny to me for some reason.

Can you explain to me how you think wheat is assembled?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

leftist heap posted:

like look at this corny goddamnn hair. gently caress man you know it's not illegal for white people to have a fade right?

How do you make this thing do a fade?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I really wanted the Grizz to grit and grind to a game 7

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Also regarding my bet Lockback, the devil won and will get his due

I'm as happy as I am watching DeRozan sink a contested long 2.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So what do the Clippers do this offseason?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

This is like, the first time ever I completely agree with the All NBA teams,it feels so weird.

Gobert should be above AD. Not sure if KAT should make it unless they really wanted another center then he's fine. Otherwise pretty good.

Poor PG13.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

How deep do we have to go before Rubio is all-NBA?

Depending on how you pick between guards and PG, but Rubio is probably around the 10-15 range of best PG in the league. He has a rough start to the season this year, but ended strong and had a really good year last year as well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

His true shooting percentage is off the charts.

I dunno about that, but his late career blocked shot % is impressive.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

His playoff stats are roughly in line with his regular season stats

I don't get where the "Chris Paul Playoff Choker" narrative comes from

It's because he's not a great scorer. He's not bad, but if you aren't seeing playoff success and you're not putting up points, that doesn't leave you with much to hang off in terms of playoff performance.

I think CP3 is unfairly maligned in that regard, but that is sort of the burden of a pass-first PG. If you don't have the right pieces are you, you won't be effective. Players who can shoulder a scoring load can find some success even if their team is crap. That doesn't make CP3 less of a player, he is one of the best PGs of all time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

leftist heap posted:

How much do people think Andre Roberson is worth or will get. I was listening to The Starters (yeah they are idiots I know) and they thought $15 million a year was way too much, but he'd probably get it.

I don't see that happening. Usually you don't shell out that much for a guy that doesn't score. I'd expect more in the 7-10 range, but you never know.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BallisticClipboard posted:

Now that Tony Parker is dead, is CP3 to SA a real thing?

Only if he takes a massive paycut, which I don't think he will. The Spurs would either have to somehow move mediocre contracts or have guys like Gasol not pick up their options. Also, as of right now Parker is still getting paid next year and would have to agree to not take salary to retire.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Moving west should fix his post season problems.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

And even then, maybe it's time to blow it up. I love Kyle and DeMar, I think this is the most likable Raps team ever, but something has to change.

This is kind of the problem. If you blow it up, what do you do? Their 2017 pick is going to be bad, and they have a lot of contracts that will be hard to move. Being a 50 win, 2nd round team in the NBA seems like a rough place, but its a lot more enjoyable than many other places. The best move is to keep things together and see if you find gold somewhere, otherwise enjoy the 3-4 seed and winning a playoff series every year. If nothing else a full year of Ibaka might provide some lift.

I mean, if you blow up every team that gets stuck at a 50-win ceiling, you'd have most teams in the league tanking over and over. The Philly rebuild wasn't pretty and not something I think you drop this team to try to emulate.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Were you the person last offseason saying that "second-tier team that could sneak into the finals in an injury-lucky year" was a fine place to be? I think a couple of people were arguing that. I'm generally okay with that but I think it might be quite costly just to maintain that this offseason. Lowry, Patterson-role, and Ross-role aren't coming back at cost, so just treading water would probably require them to commit quite a bit of money.

I'd be okay if the Raptors let Lowry walked, got what they could for JV, and started giving the younger players space to develop while Demar jacked up glorious, glorious long 2s.

e: On Raptors Republic season roundup, they said that back in the day Colangelo rejected Valanciunas for Harden. Now that would've been interesting.

Yeah though not for injury timing. Basically look at the backlash that happened with Philly running their team down to the ground and think about the affect on the fanbase if that happened with Toronto. Those of us who are TWolves or Sacramento fans can tell you continually hanging around the lottery trying to build a contender (or else jettisoning and starting over) is not as successful or as fun as it sounds. I think keeping a 50 win team together makes sense because then you only need one really lucky thing to happen (2nd rounder becoming Draymond Green, being in the right place for a stupid trade/FA signing, etc) as opposed to most teams who need a couple of those to become a contender.

Your point on money is a good one, but that is for ownership to decide on. If you crater your not getting any FAs either. Raptors were like the 5th most profitable team in 2016 so they have headroom there if they want it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kyle Lowry is 31 years old. If you try to start a rebuild you don't have 5 years. You probably have 2-3 before he starts slowing WAYYY down and not living up to his contract.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jazz are a good team and maybe that Aussie PG finally makes the leap next year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/864335378462855171

Welp. Bench is just the worst one of all time, apparently.

Their bench was super lovely. That Mahinmi contract might be the difference between the Wizards being contenders and not.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's like the "Ricky Rubio is never leaving Spain to join the Timberwolves" thing just never died and keeps lurching around.

No guys, seriously, THIS TIME HE'S GONE. The fact that he took a below-max contract the first chance an extension was available to stay in Minnesota clearly indicates he wants out. Especially now that he's surrounded by young talent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Sam Hinkie got fired and Vlade Divac is still employed.

Hinkie resigned after they hired Colangelo. He was sorta pushed out in the sense his job shrunk, but I also think the ownership group was legit surprised he didn't stick around and I think they wanted him to.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KAT's instagram

Play with a chip on your shoulder next season, Karl. Do it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Frustrated posted:

He just negotiated the new collective bargaining agreement as head of the players association so he could get more money... I don't think he's taking less than the max.

Most of what he negotiated didn't apply to him though. The Designated Player Exception doesn't apply to guys with 10+ years, and the other big changes were higher rookie and MLE scales. The only thing that applies to Paul is the over-36 rule so he can get offered a 5-year deal, which he can still do even if he doesn't take the max.

I dunno, I think he still takes the money but I don't like when people act like he manipulated the CBA to his benefit. The only rule he changed was one that said "You are not allowed to pay 36 year olds as if they are good players" which is a pretty dumb rule.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

Tony Snell bout to get paid and I want to shoot myself.

He's probably worth some money now, he played great once he was off the Bulls.

Bulls should have stuck with the long game and unleashed Tony Snell after he signed a poo poo contract

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Magic is going to trade Russell to clear the way for Ball.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there any possibility that KD is back on the market?

He's making noise that he wants to go back. I think he ends up taking another 1 year to qualify for an Early-Bird and the 7.5% raises. Even if he takes a smallish paycut to keep Iggy/Livingston this may end up paying him the most money.

So the question for KD is: Do you think he'd leave money on the table to not play for Golden State? Seems unlikely to me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Asking here as well as in Trad Games, but does anyone know of any basketball tabletop games? I think I'm gonna try my hand at making a D&D for basketball (think 2K MyPlayer but with multiple players and probably turn-based) and want some inspiration for on-court play rules.

This is pure strain off season gold and we still have the finals left to play. I want to sit down and roll up a Jeremy Lin archetype with you all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Huh, I must have missed this while I was out of town, but the Pels are looking to hire Sam Mitchell as an assistant coach. I don't really know what to think about this. I don't believe he will will get much say in play-style but will be tasked with implementing one he is given?

Sam Mitchell did a really good job with the Timberwolves last year. He was put in a horrible position and every single player improved as the year went on. The players really liked him and he was really candid and interesting when talking to fans/media. Basically an ideal assistant coach.

As a head coach his record is pretty poor, I think his strengths are in development and locker-room as opposed to straight schemes and X's and O's. I think he'd be a good complement to Alvin Gentry.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lessail posted:

There's still no respect for the team and it's traded being one type of laughingstock for another :ssh:

The only people who consider Toronto a laughingstock are Toronto fans. They've had a really good season and there's no shame in being a tier below the top. Teams like Dallas and even the Spurs have hung out there until they caught/made some luck and became Championship teams.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tadashi posted:

This is just my annual off-season check-in to ask where anyone thinks the Hawks can go from here. Feels like they're teetering on the brink of disaster as they slowly bleed away all of their core players?

Yeah, I think they will get Millsap back but it seems like a "slowly deflate out of the playoffs" situation for Atlanta. They probably will have enough to be right around 45 wins again, but I don't think there is much head room unless something amazing happens.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

This could be fun, what the heck, I'll apply and not get the job.

Submit your Kobe FA threads as a portfolio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't have the quote, but it was about the Timberwolves when everyone was pushing the "they only like white people in Minnesota" thing. It was something like the crowd should really make sure they pronounce the D's in his name while chanting it.

• Locked thread