Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

This spot reserved for Memphis

Look at this quitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Hello new home I wish not to be here but the bench put me here

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

*looks at watch* oh I guess it has been less than 24 hours since this stick was stuck up rear end

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

leftist heap posted:

How much money do you think Dougland McDermott spends on a haircut? $12?

Depends on how much extra a shampoo is

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

leftist heap posted:

like look at this corny goddamnn hair. gently caress man you know it's not illegal for white people to have a fade right?

It's pretty remarkable considering the bottom right photo is the before

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Wow kibner with the next level troll of reminding me of the first duo that left me and the Chandler trade. Rude as hell kibner

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

So who's the 30th best starting PG in the league

Reggie Jackson

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

xbilkis posted:

stop defining basketball success by titles

This

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
BRING KANTER HOME

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Here is my big dumb opinion about the thunder's season

The 2016-17 season was the most emotional season in the young Thunder history. It was filled with highs as grandiose as a stripper with Iverson at TGI Fridays and lows as heartbreaking as the power cutting off in the middle of writing a paper which you did not save. Before we go into the season let’s recap what happened the previous season, OKC fired hc Scotty Brooks and replacing him with Florida Gator hc Billy Donovan. Billy would finish his first NBA regular season with a record 55-27 and with the most forth quarter leads blown ever in a single season by a team. The inconsistencies of the Thunder caused people to really doubt they would be able to beat the second seed Spurs in the western conference semifinals. The inconsistent play would continue for the first two games of the first round where after the loss to Dallas something just clicked. The Thunder roll through Dallas the next 3 games, then slay the Spurs in 6. Back in the wcf they go up 3-1 on a 73 win Warrior team by playing the best team ball they have ever played as a franchise then it went down hill. OKC blows a 3-1 lead by losing 3 straight to the Warriors in those games they went 13/30 (this is good), 3/23 (holy gently caress that was so bad), and 7/27 (this is bad) from 3. That ended the 2015-16 Thunder campaign where the never ending topic of Durant’s free agency will finally be decided.

The Draft

OKC does not have a first round pick as it was traded to acquire Dion, but that did not stop Presti from getting his guy. OKC trades fan favorite Serge Ibaka to Orlando for Victor Oladipo, Ersan Ilyasova, and Domantas Sabonis. This by all means was a good trade at the time and still is in hindsight, but it was and is still sad not to see serge in the a Thunder uniform.

Free Agency

Durant’s decision is the topic that is being talked about at all times. Where was he going to sign? Was he going to stay in OKC? Leave for Boston? Leave for Golden State? The speculation was up the ying yang. During the free agency frenzy, Al Horford was highly considering to join up with KD and Russ to create an unbelievable trio. That trio would not come to be as Al signed with Boston, then the unbelievable happened. On July 4th, 2016 Kevin Durant tells the world he is signing with Golden State. This sent a shock through the sports world and heartbreak to all Thunder fans. How could this be? How could a person go to the team that was his biggest competition? This caused a ripple effect making Russ having to decide his free agency a whole year early. Russ would sign an extension with the Thunder making every narrative that was ever written about OKC turn inside out. Durant was supposed to be the one that stayed with OKC and Russ was supposed to be the one to run to California. To make room for the extension, Presti and Thunder nation had to say good-bye to Dion. In August OKC traded 2 second round picks to Denver for Joffrey “The Big Croissant” Lauvergne.

The Season

The roster day one of the season:
Starters
Russell Westbrook PG
Victor Oladipo SG
Andre Roberson SF
Domantas Sabonis PF
Steven Adams C

Reserves
Enes Kanter PF/C
Kyle Singler TRASH
Ersan Ilyasova PF
Semaj Christon PG
Alex Abrines SG
Nick Collison DAD
Anthony Morrow SG
Joffrey Lauvergne PF
Cameron Payne PG (hurt)

This roster would not stay the same for long because on Nov 1, 2016 (3 games into the season) OKC trades Ersan Ilyasova and a conditional first round pick to Phili for Jerami Grant. OKC start the season with an unexpected 6-1 record (the loss coming from the Warriors that game was uh not pretty to say the least). In this beginning stretch, Russ did not show that this task of carrying the team was too big he showed that he was more than capable of doing it and did so guns blazing with stat lines like 33/16/11, 32/9/12, and 51/10/13. This trend would continue all season but the level of play that surrounds him would change game by game quarter by quarter. There was no consistency with this team they would go on stretches where the offense looks unstoppable and then with snap of the fingers they can’t hit a layup. Those issues were even more prevalent when Russ would leave the game for a moment. The bench would lose so many leads and create big deficits over the course of the season.

Durant returns to OKC

The biggest game of the year ends in a loss of 16 but it felt closer and tense the entire time. Russ goes off with a 47 point game, Dre goes in the face Durant, and Russ and Durant exchange words. The fans went in on the this game. They were cheering and booing all game; came with signs and even a costume showing their displeasure with Durant’s decision. The loss was sad and predictable but the game provided a much needed emotional release for both the team and the fans.

Dre vs KD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syd0LgM0SGw
Russ jawing at KD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLKdH416VLg
Russ highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjAFaUJo33Y

https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/sta...warriors-return

https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/sta...warriors-return

Trade Deadline

On Feb 23, 2017 OKC traded Cameron Payne, Joffrey Lauvergne and Anthony Morrow to Chicago for Taj Gibson, Doug “McBuckets” McDermott, and a 2018 second-round pick. This trade was just a highway robbery by Presti. Presti was able to get a very good versatile big man and a young shooter who is good at off-ball movement for scraps lmao.

End of the Regular Season

OKC was in the hunt to get that coveted 4th seed till they lost 4 straight to bad teams which they promptly responded to by winning 5 straight starting with the Spurs cause that makes sense. The additions of Taj and Doug made the team by improving the defense (especially when Taj was made starter) and increased spacing. They finished the season with a record of 47-35 and securing the 6th seed which is a pretty successful season considering all that went on around it.

Post Season

OKC played HOU in the first round of the playoffs losing the series in 5 games. The Thunder played a fairly good series imo. They defended Houston as well as they possibly could, but just could not score enough to secure victories. The bench continuously failed them and Oladipo was not able to get anything going really (he did have one solid game). It did not help that refs gave Houston a bunch of 3 free throw possessions for non-shooting fouls.

End of Season Roster

Starters
Russell Westbrook PG
Victor Oladipo SG
Andre Roberson SF
Taj Gibson PF
Steven Adams C

Reserves
Enes Kanter C
Doug McDermott SF
Jerami Grant SF
Alex Abrines SG
Domantas Sabonis PF
Kyle Singler TRASH
Semaj Christon PG (debatable)
Norris Cole HUSK
Nick Collison DAD
Josh Huestis SF

End of Season Review

This being the first season in the Russ only era was a good strong building block for the future. The team is young and heading in a good direction. My worries for the team are that Adams regressed this season and him not being able to get back on track (I personally believe he was not mentally ready for the responsibility handed to him when Serge was traded and a whole year with Taj by his side will ease his workload will do wonders); Victor Oladipo had a good season but was not aggressive enough. What I mean by that is there were many games that seemed he was not looking to attack the basket, which is a problem because he played his best when he was looking to attack. Sabonis was not good as a starter but once moved to the bench he looked way more comfortable. He showed he has the tools to become a solid player (needs to work on finishing with his off-hand and his 3pt shot). Alex Abrines the rookie who decided to join the team this season can flat out shoot the ball and am excited to see how he is going to improve after years of thinking he was not ever going to come over. Jerami Grant an early season addition to the team is very exciting to watch. He dunks and blocks hard which is all you can ask for a player really. Doug McDermott got to team up with his favorite player growing up that’s right his favorite player the legend himself NICK COLLISON. Nick is going to unleash a level of McBuckets we have never seen so y’all better watch out. Enes Kanter is a good basketball player who helps the team win (flaming take I know) and has defeated the evil Erdogan’s plan to capture him.

The King of the Prairie

Russ averaged a triple-double and is the MVP this is not a debate this is just plain facts.

Off-Season Wishes

They need to re-sign Taj, Dre, and Nick and if possible they need to get a backup PG (for the love of everything GET A COMPETENT BACK UP PG Presti).

Season Highlights

Here are some highlights in a season filled with highlights

Dipo Dunk of the Year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcSEdwoz2KY
Full Court Nutmeg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rnCCLRMK-8
Shammgod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osxe1GW8AKw
Russ Poster on Capela https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMzQPY3mqsQ
Russ clutch shot montage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raDYzXmmQEA

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
yeah I'm not getting my hopes up with getting a good pg this season

We need to keep Taj for at least one more season for Sabonis to get more seasoning and maybe just maybe be starter material. Also I'm like one of the few people on Earth who would be okay dre 15 mil per year because I believe his defensive ability is worth it. I'm pretty confident though that Presti and him will find a happy median.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Somehow I forgot that Doug McDermit got traded to OKC last year. I thought he'd be a Bull forever

I'm still shocked tbh

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

i know this may be homerish, but do you think Atl would be into Oladipo Kanter and 1st rder for Millsap and Hardaway? I love Millsap and want him on my team.

No

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lakers would be have to be dumber than a box of rocks to trade the snitch with that said I can't wait to see the haul Magic gets for him

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'll play as jr smith where each turn I have to draw a random card from a special deck and have to play it right away. Maybe I'll draw the shoot and make 4 3s in a row card, or maybe i'll draw the commit a fragrant 2 foul against a random player, in the game and out of the game, and get ejected card.

drat I was gonna do that ah well I'll play as Enes Kanter where for every 5 blown pnr coverages I must draw from the Erdogan deck to see if I get deported to Turkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The raptors will replace Casey with Lionel Hollins and I will die of laughter

• Locked thread