Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The NBA playoffs are considered one of the premiere playoffs in all of professional sports. As long as the team you cheer for is still competing, there's still a chance that they will have some say in who ultimately wins the NBA championship.

This thread is not for those teams. This is the thread for teams that have been eliminated from the playoffs and are now booking their flights to Cancun, Nova Scotia, Belize, Key West, Panama, Bermuda or one of the many other great fishing spots across the world to begin the time honored tradition of having "gone fishin'" after the burden of their NBA season has been lain down.

I'll post the video of him explaining it if I ever find it, but as the legend goes, during a Houston Rockets playoff run, there was a close game and in the team huddle, Kenny said "let's send them fishin'" regarding his opponents and since then that has been synonymous with being eliminated from the playoffs.

Check Out This Web 1.0 Website I Found While Looking for the story of "Gone Fishin'"

A Story About the Person Who Does the Photoshops

Teams Fishin'
[Pics of this year's teams Fishin' will be posted as they come in]

Miami Heat
Denver Nuggets
Detroit Pistons
Charlotte Hornets
New Orleans Pelicans
Dallas Mavericks
New York Knicks

Minnesota Timberwolves
Orlando Magic
Philadelphia 76ers
Los Angeles Lakers

Phoenix Suns
Brooklyn Nets
Sacramento Kings

---

In this thread you can talk about the news surrounding your eliminated team that will likely get glossed over in the main thread as the fans of still active teams revel in the hedonism of their competitiveness. Mundane things like exit interviews, GM fires, assistant GM hires and lame owner drama are all welcome here.

Or, you can talk about fishing. Ocean fishing, lake fishing, ice fishing, pier fishing, whatever. I know very little about fishing and it seems relaxing and I bet I would like it. You can also post pictures of yourself fishing, if you'd like (but it's the internet so maybe someone will say something rude).

Fans of all no-longer-contending teams are welcome, and in the end all but one fan base will be here.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

big boi posted:

Yeah, I guess in the sense that your team might have Patrick Beverly or Kelly Olynyk and he might injure an actual contender's star player. Otherwise the NBA playoffs are relatively predictable.

Man you say that but as someone who has run several playoff prediction contests and played in other ones, they aren't as predictable as people think.

(Also, really I was just trying to set up "these are not those teams.")

TheShazbot posted:

you forgot the sacramento kings, which I mean, I don't blame you for as a Kings fan.

Buddy gonna get up next season

Whoops.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

About a half mile from the Blazers stadium is the Kevin Duckworth memorial dock, so they can always go fishing pretty easily!

(Kevin Duckworth made the playoffs for all of his seasons as a Trailblazer)

The stadium, and the docks, are located right next to a dock used to load wheat (which I believe is owned by Julia Louis Dreyfuss), and they spill lots and lots of wheat in the Willamette, leading to easy meals for bottom dwelling sturgeon.

Julia Louis Dreyfus owning a wheat factory is really funny to me for some reason.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

Can you explain to me how you think wheat is assembled?

They mix a bunch of gluten and flour? :downs:

(I totally meant like, a processing plant, or a mill!)

glowing-fish posted:

What better place than the Gone Fishing thread to talk about this?

This picture shows the Rose Garden (aka Moda Center or whatever else its been branded as recently) and the older Memorial Coliseum, as well as other buildings in the complex. The docks with the ship next to it is the Louis-Dreyfuss grain elevator (William Louis-Dreyfuss died two months ago, so Julia and her sisters are now the majority stock owners). Next to that is the Steel Bridge, and right below that would be the Duckworth Memorial dock.

For all its reputation as a city whose twin industries are craft beer and handmade jewelry, Portland is still a port town, and the Blazers play in an area that still has a lot of industrial characteristics.

Julia Louis Dreyfus' company owns food processing facilities and transportation facilities in six continents.

http://www.ldcom.com/global/en/about-us/locations1/

Kevin Duckworth owned a restaurant too. In some alternative world, after a defeat, Kevin Duckworth went walking down by the waterfront, and ran into Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, and they decided to combine their food service interests into a global restaurant chain.

I guess this shouldn't blow my mind since somewhere along the line someone mentioned to me that she was independently wealthy without Seinfeld Money, but it totally does. Oh wow, is the Oh Henry! subplot one of these Seinfeld subplots that ends up being slightly based in reality? Did a young Julia Louise-Dryfus grow up envying a braless candy heir she knew in her real life and pitch this subplot?

Rick fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 15, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Melo will be reinvigorated when he joins the Lakers next year until it's December and they lose 10 in a row and Byron Scott is named coach.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I mean she's not an international celebrity but you would know who she is if you were in New York or LA.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
https://youtu.be/B0taN1_NyQE?t=5m25s

MWP talks about becoming MWP, how he actually ended up embarrassed by his name change.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTIGNqjlHmZ/

Earvin "Tamper" Johnson

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This is really cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Metapod posted:

Hello new home I wish not to be here but the bench put me here

It's better to get in early before the buffet has been picked to hell.

Hahah, this is good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When Magic fires Luke and rehires Byron Scott next December, the Bucks can hire Walton and get rid of the awful loving Princeton offense.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Now I'm in this thread twice, it's hosed up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm going to wait until the last five minutes of the Finals to hop on the winning team's bandwagon so I can have victory again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Clippers should roll it all forward and hope for a Warriors injury/implosion/exhaustion and get a Mavs style title because they have spent most of their assets for the next three years already so it's not like they're going to rebuild or reload very easily anyway.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I've seen stupid people claiming CP3 is overrated and a role player. Is this as insane as I feel like it is? Now, I'll 100% grant to anyone that the "best PG" conversation is a logjam in 2017 because Russ is a beast, Harden is a wizard, Conley is really underrated, etc. and Chris is aging, but still holy poo poo at the idea of Chris Paul being a role player.

I also acknowledge his style is a bit more of a throwback, mind you.

If he was the player people claim he was (top 10 point guard all time as someone said in this page) he wouldn't routinely and typically have playoff series where he doesn't manage to have three good games.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Spacebump posted:

I wonder how different CP3's career would have been if New Orleans never left the East.

Not all that different because he doesn't consistently score enough to carry a team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Raptors fans. I hope you don't swindle Earvin Johnson, although it would probably be easier for the Raptors to do a mini blowup than a lot of teams, their cap situation isn't that bad, they have draft picks and if they are willing to move some pieces maybe under value they can end up getting more back in return.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Raptors could let Lowry walk and get pennys on the dollar for DeRozan and they're still going to win 30+ games and not get a superstar next year or the one after because it's the East and unless you have 1-3 year players or literal d-leaguers you aren't bad enough to lose more games than that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think part of the problem I have with some of the outrage over it is that I don't like instantly reach for my remote to change the channel or whatever as people apparently must do or whatever. Watching a game with 60 free throws is indeed bad but watching a guy get fouled and get an extra free throw once or twice a game isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

A good article about the death of Bryce Dejean-Jones: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709769-the-night-that-cost-bryce-dejean-jones-his-life-and-nba-dream

Not the first time someone has been done in by an anger problem exacerbated by alcohol and won't be the last. I'm always sad and angry at him every time I'm reminded of this.

Heartbreaking on all sides.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Man if I'm Indiana and I think that my team can't keep Paul George, then I know that Atlanta can't and I make that trade without another thought.

Also, I don't think D'Andre robbed anyone. Without being hacked as much there was very little negative about him being on the floor and he just does so much for the Clippers that doesn't really even always tick the box score (although the on/off numbers are very favorable to him), on both sides of the floor, which is kind of unique at this point in the league.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Space Camp fuckup posted:

This is a nice story about Devin Booker on draft lottery day. He seems like a good kid.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/devin-booker-nba-draft-lottery-noah-smith-phoenix-suns-special-olympics

It was a really good story and I was mad that ESPN only gave this like 30 seconds.

Anthony Davis already took the "doesn't play defense, team doesn't win" slot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Thunder should offer Nick Young a dumptruck of money because there's no such thing as a player who he can't get his offense next to and he showed he'll at least try to play defense if you keep him motivated to do it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Lakers fanbase is way more tied up in Russell than I think the general internet might realize. Johnson's honeymoon almost ended prematurely when Russell was benched for no reason suddenly after Johnson took over, the pro Russell fanbase immediately started lighting the torches and gathering pitchforks for both Johnson and Walton . . . which is why Russell ended up back in the starting lineup a few days later with a green light. I don't think they'll actually trade him at this point. Lonzo's fanbase is UCLA fans at this point (and people who don't watch college basketball but "heard" he was good), which is a pretty large group of people but still only a small part of the Lakers fan base.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Blood Bowl is a fantasy-based sports tabletop game that is based off gridiron football, it might have some inspiration for modeling a sport.

Also when I hear "D&D for basketball" I can't help but think of Kuroko's Basket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeY2P4PqsY

Edit: research turns up "Statis Pro Basketball": https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4453/statis-pro-basketball

My stepdad definitely played the baseball version of this. When he first started dating my mom his room was full of these sorts of things, even had the chart on his wall.

He also played the war games that were the precursor to tabletop RPGs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

An opportunity perhaps for those of us with too much spare time?

https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/872110852954083328

This could be fun, what the heck, I'll apply and not get the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome to the Cavs, last team to arrive. We've saved you some special bait.

E: Official offseason thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823519

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 13, 2017

• Locked thread