Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm going to sign up me and PantsFreeZone because I occasionally try to get a rise out of him on twitter with my personal account. That counts as a friend, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I've never seen a player off that size and build look so out of place on a basketball court. Ive told this story before but I saw him play in person during the pan am games. He was matched up against a lot of semi-pros and guys playing poo poo leagues in latin america. The guy couldn't do poo poo. He was significantly taller and more athletic than everyone and he could not grab a rebound, he could not block a shot, and all he tried to do was take 18 footers that bricked. On defense he looked like he awoke from a generational slumber and was confused as to how his body operated

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Fire Casey sign Becky

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Earlier this season I posted a lot about how being in the top 4 in the east but never beating Lebron is not the worst. And I'm not one of those people who advocate for championship or bust. From a fan's perspective, someone who watches way too many games, it makes it worthwhile to have a team that wins most of them, even if you know they are never good enough. Watching wins are fun.

That said, I think the window on this unit has closed. If it were two years ago I'd say go re-sign everyone and lock us in but the last few months have made me really nervous about Lowry and even Ibaka. They are great players but I cant see either getting better Lowry more so, as he has yet to have a playoff run where he isn't bothered by some injury, which will only get worse. I really hate rebuilds as I've seen this team do it so many times but I think moving on from the free agents, keeping Derozan and firing Casey is the best step.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

From a fan of a team who is only going to win a million championships off heart, grit, and grind, having a competitive team that represents the city well and is fun to watch is absolutely priceless. I wouldn't trade that game 3 win over the Spurs for hardly anything. Except a championship

I agree with this 100% but I think you also have to consider style of play/identity. If the Raps felt like they were maximizing their talent and just always falling short I'd be down to keep on rolling it back because it's worth it game to game as a fan. But they are so inconsistent and at times dreadful. It's not like they lose putting forth their best effort, they just poo poo the bed. I really want to think this is mostly the coaches fault but I'm starting to worry that Lowry is just not built for this playoff life.

I guess realistically the team's identity is win a bunch of games but in the most turbulent way possible while never maximizing talent in high leverage situations because of incompetent coaching and a lack of gamers.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If only there was a person responsible for determining a team's playing style. Some type of leadership position that tells the players on the court what to do. Like a life coach for tactics and play calling. They should get one of those.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Translates to:

"I haven't fired a coach yet. I'm not firing him until people come for my job. Lucky for him, this wont happen because the Leafs are half-decent and everyone is still cool with winning 45 games a year and making GBS threads the bed in the playoffs."

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'd be cool with the Raps getting an assistant from a good team, someone who is comfortable with modern NBA techniques like running plays and resting players. At this point you could send the Spurs mascot and I'd be on board.
Like I always say, Casey is a good coach for a young or fringe playoff team trying to maximize talent in the regular season. At this stage though they need to move from motivator/leader to tactician.

Also I can't not see a Wolves' butthole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

sign your cover letter with Lakers.gif

• Locked thread