Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Goddamn.

It's also cool that the #1 pick in the NBA and WNBA this year will both be the point guard from Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

glowing-fish posted:

Just looked at her career stats...she seems to be a pretty incredible player.

31/5/5 in 40 minute games on 50/40/89 good lord

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

iospace posted:

:stare: drat, ok. That's impressive then. Thanks!

In the NBA, for example, only 9 players have ever done it and they are all either in the HOF or likely to end up there yes even Jose IMO with the exception of Jeff Hornacek. And most of them scored a lot less than her in more minutes. Those are Curry 2016 numbers

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Price isn't in the Hall of Fame, and you can't seriously believe Jose will be.

It's not the NBA hall, and he has a FIBA gold and two Olympic Silvers, and was one of the best players in Europe before he came over. I could've sworn price was, that's hosed up there are way worse guys in there.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hm. He can't pull the classic MIP maneuver of going from 20 to 30 minutes while being the same guy cause he already starts, but he has made huge strides in his first 3 years. The question is if he's a .400 guy from 3 who took a couple of years to find his shot, or a .350 guy who had a hot year. His usage is still low so if he can shoot maintain his efficiency while moving up to 22-24% I could see it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He'd be far and away the worst NBA guy in the Hall of Fame.

He's better than Bill Bradley, as good as Ralph Sampson, three times as good as K.C. Jones, and extremely comparable to Sarunas (efficient and useful offensive Euro who didn't do poo poo on defense and fell off relatively quickly).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Try to sucker somebody into taking him for a pick and/or cap filler/depth? I feel bad for Milwaukee in that respect, he didn't have injury problems before he hit the pros.

He's basically DeJuan Blair now.

If healthy he can probably coexist with Thon and Giannis, though I think putting them at the 4/5 defensively works better and one or both of Jabari and Giannis need a more reliable 3 ball. After these injuries, Jabari may no longer have the speed to defend the 3 (he was never great at it but he's young and the physical ability was there). It's a tough situation, and the timer is running down on his rookie deal.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

leftist heap posted:

The NBA is super stacked right now and it makes the NFL look so dire by comparison. How many teams in the NFL don't have a good QB? Most of them? How many NFL teams have basically nothing to honestly be excited about next season unless you're a draft pick optimist? Again, probably most of them, it's really dire. There are whole divisions in the NFL that are trash fires. Contrast this to the NBA where there are probably half a dozen lottery bound teams that probably think they have a shot at the playoffs next season.

I agree the talent situation in the NBA is great but not with the NFL comparison. Football is so inherently high variance, almost every team has hope every year, optimism is always warranted unless you're the Browns (conversely so is pessimism, unless you're the Pats). Look at situations like the 2011 Niners, 2015 Panthers, 2016 Cowboys and Falcons, etc. It's much more common for a team to make the leap in the NFL, so to speak.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spacebump posted:

I'd like to nominate #3 in this video for one of the greatest NBA blocks of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYocZ-uw_fo

Certainly one of the fine moments in post owning trash talk. That's drat near Kemp double point, Iverson step over, Shaq teabag dunk level

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jota posted:

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/860169084909912064

When you can get the guy who made illegal secret deals with Joe Smith, how can you pass it up

Why on earth would Hammond or Griffin leave for Orlando

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lessail posted:

It is if you have championship aspirations

Except it rarely works and the odds are it won't for Philly either. It's probably four years of sucking rear end to max out as the team you have now.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lessail posted:

Nah, a team doesn't matter if it doesn't have a superstar.

Yeah but there are maybe 10 guys in the league at any time on that level. If you tank fucken hard and get 5 top five picks in a row, the odds aren't you don't draft a single guy on that level. You probably get two busts, Ibaka, Lowry, and Derozen. Look at the Wizards, the Blazers, the Magic, the Wolves like 4 or 5 times, even the Thunder, who got closer than most. It usually doesn't work. You're just as likely to make the leap the way the Lakers did (insanely lucky mid rounder and a dickhead free agent who wants to play in your city) or the Cavs (blow your picks and luck into more, and a dickhead free agent wants to come home) or the way the Warriors did (late lottery gambles and second rounders that all worked by sheer luck, plus TWO dickhead free agents playing mercenary) or the Celtics (multiple teams had a fire sale when they had a pile ornate mediocre assets and a lonely superstar) or the Heat (dickhead free agents plus lonely superstars. Actually building from a full tank describes no title team in the last 20 years except maybe the Pistons and the 2006 Heat.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

These playoffs, as a whole, loving suck. They're leading to a bomb rear end finals but the rest is awful. Oh except Wizards/Celtics. Spurs/Rockets is good in the sense that the series is tied but the games themselves haven't been very good. I think Spurs/Grizzlies will be the best series other than the Finals.

First round was great, every series but Warriors/Blazers was good. Even Cavs/Pacers had close games and great players going wild.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Presti sold him out for the cap room, you heard it here first.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dude has NEVER worn a good pair of jeans

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cool Buff Man posted:

got no qualms with these tbh, especially on the jordan jean spectrum

Yeah those are fine and also definitely picked by the costume designer for that photo shoot, which since it looks like a dorm room I'm assuming is before he became so popular he made all his own decisions

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

chunkles posted:

You can't really have a big man just sit in the high post anymore like the Rockets did back in the Adelman days but I feel like you can do a ton of cool poo poo with Boogie on the perimeter.

Why not? If he's a good enough passer I see that as very compatible with modern spacing and off ball screening.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I remember reading that Jordan lost to Orlando Woolridge (I think) during his first or 2nd year and was so annoyed by it he bought a table and practiced until he got really good, so he probably gave Laettner a run for his money.

I asusme they mean assistant GM as I'm pretty sure Ujiri is still the GM

I think he's president of basketball operations but functionally does what we think of a GM as doing

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ButtWolf posted:

i know this may be homerish, but do you think Atl would be into Oladipo Kanter and 1st rder for Millsap and Hardaway? I love Millsap and want him on my team.

The hell would they do with Kanter and Dwight on offense?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shear Modulus posted:

No wait, it looks like the Spurs have $96M in guarantees for next year and apparently the cap is going to be like $102M. That figure includes Parker's $15M and Pau's $16M but nothing for Manu.

I could see Pau opting out and re-signing for less to be able to play with Paul though.

comedy option: spurs dump aldridge on doc.

Yeah it's probably just posturing for LAC but if Tony retires, Manu retires or takes a sweetheart deal, and Pau opts out to take one too, they can clear a max for Paul. Or maybe CP3 takes a paycut if we're assuming guys are giving up piles of money for a shot at a ring.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Anyone remember that huge run they went on at the beginning of the season that had everyone thinking they had made the leap to real deal contenders?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spacebump posted:

How many times have the Clippers exited the playoffs with their core healthy?

I'm not sure they have but at some point that's the problem.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BIZORT posted:

Weltman is reportedly going to target Tony Snell with all of their cap room. Cool. Blow your wad on role players again, just like the last management group did

I hate this team so much now

edit: And Otto Porter is the other target I guess. Even worse

gently caress me I hate them both

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I would be happy to see Orlando move their pick for him. Or vucevic :devil:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shear Modulus posted:

i would think pros wouldn't compare their training regimen to ivan drago since in the movie he used steroids but what do i know

NBA is very light on drug testing anyway but more importantly Comrade Zing clearly supports Lithuanian reunification with the Soviet Union

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kibner posted:

Well, then. It sounds like the Pels improved their assistant coaching a good bit this off-season with Mitchell and Finch. Erman did some good work once he had competent defensive players this season, too. Hopefully, the team is more consistent next season, no matter how the Jrue situation turns out.

You're in a good spot for one year, but I'm sure both of those guys are angling for HC jobs. If Finch can help implement a league busting twin towers and Mitchell can keep everyone happy and get some development out of rookies/d leaguers, they'll be top candidates. Great problem to have

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

rabidsquid posted:

The Pistons better not trade their draft pick and Stanley Johnson for a "win now" veteran, I like Stan Van Gundy as a coach and mostly tolerate him as a GM but this would be an atrocious move

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/869613673316143104

The 12th pick is not that valuable. We don't know what exactly a "win now" vet means but the 12 is about 50% likely to wash and about 50% likely to be a decent role player. Cost control, whatever, but if you get a decent starter then you've almost certainly won that trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

chilihead posted:

Cue the Magic trading them someone while taking back Reggie Jackson and the 12th pick.

Fortunately Orlando has no decent starters to trade

• Locked thread