Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
It being Easter and all, gonna throw in a vote for naming our robber Jesus Barabbas, because the best joke is one that has readers catching up six months in scratching their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

SerSpook posted:

Larry Bird Jr.

A Right Voter.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Junpei posted:

So, now can I make it obvious for those who don't quite get it yet?

No.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Level Seven posted:

Morgana, I will do what I want. Stop telling me I don't like crepes or that I should go to bed it's my life AUUUUUGH.

As a cat owner I can confirm this is 100% in character.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ari is great and this LP rules.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Pink Asas is what happens when you don't use a colourfast dye on your spandex costume.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

It's an awkward phrase though because it also can be read as "an illicit account where he collected embezzled funds in order to help refugees" which is uh.

Yeah that's how I read it too. Bad localisation strikes again.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

beru04 posted:

I finally get to show off one of my favourite pieces of fan art!

Oh my god.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Don't loving do this.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Mementos is like Costco. It sucks, so it's best to build a big list and visit once to check stuff off in bulk.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I'm still kind of upset that Morgana is Male given his very female name.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

How much money did you pull out of that run?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Sweet, that's nearly five holy stones.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Blademaster_Aio posted:

The difference in water can definitely cause stomach problems.

Also this trip was boring.

Also, can't Ann just ask the hotel staff to unlock her room door? They have spare keys.

Yes but then we would miss the vital scene where the game asks you which teen you'd like to kiss.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

On the topic of phantom thieves cash-ins, meet the Lupinrangers, half of this year's Featherman Super Sentai series. They operate out of a restaurant.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Wiseblood posted:

Since he's supposed to be a gamer, they could have had him call Joker a variety of slurs.

The scene would absolutely have been improved by having Rita Repulsa call Joker a oval office.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Finally, it's time to gently caress Kamoshida.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Makoto nooooo

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Mishima's problem is that he sucks too realistically.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

Has Igor directly responded to a question Maaku has asked this entire game?

In fact, has Igor made any indication that he hears anything Maaku says?

In fairness it would get pretty same-y after a while. "Why am I here?" "Why did that guy die?" "Why did a giant penis emerge from the sea of my soul?" You can't blame Igor for losing interest in the details.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

I think it's safe to assume that being a Persona user does grant some level of added physical and mental resistance compared to normal humans, as seen with the close combat characters in the series (i.e., Reiji, Lisa, Ulala, Akihiko, Chie and Makoto) who can punch or kick demons/Shadows/et al. that are twice their size or have other damage-reducing attributes like a full suit of armor, but suffer no ill consequences like shattered bones or something worse like a dislocated knee (do not google images of that injury, it is highly :nms:). Or take Jun for another example, who can beat up said enemies with nothing more than flowers, objects that are absolutely not designed for direct combat. Maaku being able to resist something like a mind-altering substance while under intense interrogation for a long period of time is entirely plausible.

He's also spent close to a year doing human drug trials in a shady underground clinic, eating burgers bigger than his head and subsisting on a diet of curry and coffee. The guy has some tolerance.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Omobono posted:

Keep in mind the fake calling card. Had we ignored Okumura the conference would have happened the same way anyways.

That would have been a way better arc. Recruit Haru, work on some other target while telling her we'll take care of her dad later, and then bam, her dad is ostensibly murdered by the Phantom Thieves.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Happy birthday Arist I hope Ari got you something nice.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Blademaster_Aio posted:

What about Takemi? The back alley doctor?

The part of my brain that will forever be 12 years old just lost his poo poo at this post.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

ddegenha posted:

Well if you don't want to disappoint any of your video game friends, then the logical solution is to romance everyone so that you're not disappointing anyone. And then, once you've seen all the options you can decide who the best choice is and only romance one in a new game+.

The correct option. Become Tokyo's biggest manwhore.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Arist posted:

which persona characters are incel and which are volcel

In 4, we have

Incel:
Namatame
Adachi (ultimate incel)
Kanji
Yoskue
Teddie
That weird social link Mum with a toddler that isn't hers
The old lady with the dead husband, by definition
Weird sex pest teacher lady
Weird sex pest teacher lady's favourite student

Volcel:
Morooka (nofap)
Devil Nurse
The metalworker artist who sells you swords
Dojima
Igor

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Illuyankas posted:

So is Ryuji now SSJ1 or SSJ2

Ryuji is Yamcha

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ryuji's persona, ladies and gentlemen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-SUoHmpRdM

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Arist posted:

Mr. Shido’s new party, the “United Future,” sent a motion of non-confidence against the cabinet. It was approved by a majority vote, which then led to a dissolution of the House. An election is expected to be held before the yearend, and each party has already begun preparing.
Oh, sounds like there’s going to be an election. I wonder who’s going to win.

This is kind of a huge deal and it's amazing that they just bury it in skippable side content.

Political stuff is kind of my thing, though, so I've done some research into Japan's House of Representatives. The situation as presented is realistic - Japan's Constitution does allow for the House to be dissolved after the passage of a motion of no confidence.

The voting system for the House is also kind of strange. 176 members are elected from multi-member constituencies and a further 289 are elected from single-member seats. These systems don't really interact, though, so large parties seem to have a big advantage. The current government, under Shinzo Abe, has 312 of the 465 seats.

All of this is by way of confirming that the poo poo Shido is pulling would be a MAJOR loving deal in Japan and it's kind of mind boggling that the game glosses it over.

E: The closest parallel I can think of for American readers would be some group splintering off the Democrat or Republican Party and having the numbers to not just gently caress with legislation, but to immediately dissolve Congress and force an election.

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 26, 2018

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

The game could use an aside to explain Japanese politics to non-Japanese players, because Shido's whole plotline gets a bit murky without understanding it.

It's very different to US politics, and much closer to the Westminster system you see in the UK, Canada, Australia, etc. The voting system seems a bit weird though, and basically guarantees large majorities for governing parties.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

Also, the game is super on the nose by having the ruling party that Shido's new one is splitting being called the Liberal Co-Prosperity Party, referencing both the hegemonic Liberal Democratic Party who have ruled Japan for almost the entirety of the post war period (I think they've only been out of power for like 5 years or something like that), and the name of the World War II Japanese Empire, officially the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Or I'm just reading way too much into a translation choice.

Nah, that seems far too cute to be accidental.

One thing I neglected to focus on earlier is the numbers Shido needed to bring down the government. Assuming the current makeup of the House; the government is in majority with 312 seats. The other parties make up the remaining 153.

To pass a vote of no confidence (assuming every opposition member voted for it), Shido needed to convince 80 members of the government's party to cross the floor and vote against their own leadership. That might seem like a routine thing in America, but party unity is a much bigger deal in jurisdictions like Japan, where the executive sits in the parliament.

Looking at some more history, there is form for this - Prime Minister Koizumi advised the Emperor to dissolve the House after losing a vote to privatise the postal service in 2005, with several members of his party crossing the floor.

It's me, I'm the guy theorycrafting the political environment of a parliament presented as a tangential plot in a game about teens fighting with their minds and riding inside a talking cat.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Clarste posted:

The fact that she wants to be the Commissioner and not just a Detective or whatever implies to me that her dream is to change the system, not just to join it. You might call that naive, but I don't think she's ignoring the problems that we've seen.

Now that you mention this, the whole 'collapse of the government' angle would be way more believable if instead of a PE teacher, an artist, a mafia guy and a CEO the Phantom Thieves has targeted actual corrupt public officials like cops, prosecutors, and even the former Prime Minister. Might not play well in Japan though.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Clarste posted:

Hey, cut us some slack, we're trying.

This one barely counts. On a scale of one to 'beating a confession out of someone with a phone book', Sae is maybe a two, and only because she didn't seem that phased to find out poor old Maaku got drugged during the prologue. Game needs a Phoenix Wright-tier shithead prosecutor.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

A Bystander posted:

Literally within the last week, there was a giant protest calling for a prominent member of the Japanese government to face the consequences of making disparaging remarks about the LGBT community. You guys saying stupid poo poo like "lol Japan doesn't care about western ideals" and "the gays are sensitive babies" are tremendous assholes about this whole thing.

I hadn't heard about this, that's a really positive news.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If I'd have remembered that the doctor was an option If have made her name outta surgical tubing and junk I could get from my clinic buddy but I'd completely forgotten that you could pick the older ladies

I love that the whole point of that confidant is helping her discover that she didn't actually make a huge professional mistake, and then the option to encourage her to make a huge professional mistake by sleeping with an underage patient.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ok, now the game is getting implausible about politics. Newspaper Student talks about the House of Representatives getting adjourned soon, while Bespectacled Office Worker says the House has already been disbanded.

It's plausible not to know the difference, I guess (though a student newspaper editor should know better) but to not know whether it's happened or not is dumb.

For the record, just because the House adjourns does not mean they're calling an election. Houses adjourn whenever they finish sitting. Get better at your job, Student Newspaper Editor!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

"Who else...? Eh...My dad...my teacher, who also gives me massages...a 12 year-old at an arcade...this really annoying prosecutor..."

"Oh and my cat!"

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Grinnblade posted:

Arist, typo for ya:

*chuckle* Cone. We shall put an end to this once and for all.

Nah she just wants to punch some cones. :420::350::catdrugs::okpos::bustem:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

To post such an extensive screenshot LP, you must have had a thread full of idiots posting dumb white noise between updates. Well? Confess! Who were your posters?