Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

RabidWeasel posted:

Kawakami's story is like 3 or 4 different extremely annoying awful cultural tropes all bundled up into a big ball of stupid. "Someone got killed in an accident I had nothing to do with, after I delivered some bad news to them, which I was only complicit in, and not an active agent in causing. So it's totally my fault and I have to pay blood money to the family forever."

The important part is this bit:

Arist posted:

Takase-kun was exhausted from the tutoring sessions and working at all his part-time jobs… His guardians blamed me for the accident, saying it was all my fault that he was so tired… They said that they were going to sue me and take the issue to the media and Board of Education. I wouldn’t have been accused of a crime, but if word had gotten out, the school would’ve been done for. ...I wanted to continue teaching, no matter what. So I ended up paying them the “apology” money so they wouldn’t sue me or say anything.

Appearance counts. Even if the case eventually got thrown out she'd still be blacklisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

nothing to seehere posted:

Was I the only one who didn't bother with Rank 10? The actions needed to get there cost as much time as you save, so AI just stuck, to rank 5 and ranked other people up.

Her confidant abilities are the best ones in the game, what the hell are you on about?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

RareAcumen posted:

It took us 63 parts to get here but now we can finally, finally see

that Ann's sitting posture is goddamn atrocious. Lean back in your loving chair! You're gonna have a spine like Miura's in two years if you don't knock that poo poo off while you still can!

Also, poor Kawakami. I can see why she can't stop doing this bizarre job now. :(

Really? You're just going to completely ignore the fact that there's been a dude sitting right behind Maaku all this time? Where he can see him talking with Morgana and reading all his #Millenials texts every day? That man is the true hero of this game.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's one confidant we've yet to meet who I think is more powerful, but Kawakami is definitely up there, especially on a first run. Hifumi's are also good, but in the 'you might not miss them if you've never had them' way.

Nobody else just flat out gives you extra time blocks.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ApplesandOranges posted:

They're really good, but if you know how to maximize X then they're just a bonus.

That's every confident though. That's why they're not mandatory.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, clearly Sae is angry at us not because her sister is involved, but because her sister got a sweet-rear end motorcycle as her Persona and Sae is naturally very jealous that she doesn't get a cool ride. Seriously, I'm bummed out we never got to see an on-screen reaction to Maaku explaining to Sae how Makoto's Awakening went down. Like, just the sheer ridiculousness of describing Johanna's design should have made Sae go "Wait, WHAT?" right away.

Makoto did mention that she actually has a motorcycle license. Which, honestly, just raises more questions.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Lord Koth posted:

Well, either Maaku's wearing contacts occasionally, or just wears glasses to look intellectual and doesn't actually need them. Pick the option you like.

He wears glasses so he looks like a nerdy not-crimeboy.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Rangpur posted:

Reasons for an anime to wear glasses:
  • it's a fetish
  • because they're blind
  • because they're blind and it's a fetish
  • it's a ploy to make people let down their guard
  • so they can go ominously opaque at a key moment
  • so they can slowly take the glasses off, drop them on the ground & step on them/crush them in one hand at a key moment
Reasons for an anime to not wear glasses:
  • corrective lenses for treating near- or far-sightedness
  • Because it’s a long running metaphor in a series about the masks people wear over their true selves and trying to see the truth of things.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

RareAcumen posted:

Ding ding ding, ding ding ding ding! Got it in one!

And that programmer's name... Was Hideo Kojima.

I would pay an absurd amount of money for Hideo Kojima to do a Persona game.

Hell, I'd pay a decent amount of money just to hear him spitball ideas about a persona game.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
That loving sweater vest. I can never get over it. It's like he went to a tailor and said "I want to look like the nineteen fifties idea of a boy detective, but stupider somehow."

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ApplesandOranges posted:

One thing I do like about P3 is that the characters actually have lives; sometimes characters just can't go to Tartarus for whatever reason. Contrast that to P4/P5, where most of the group have no lives and are ready to jump into the TV/Metaverse whenever. Kinda weird when they go 'yeah I can't SL today for some reason but I'm down to jump into Mementos for a few hours'.

I mean, yeah it makes more sense from a story point of view, but on the mechanics side that's kinda a giant bag of dicks.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

That’s how it’s mostly known. There are a variety of theories on it. For instance, it’s even said to be a device for reviving the dead.

I understand the symbolism you’re going for, but I’m still gonna call bullshit. I was a huge ancient Egypt freak as a kid and never heard that once, and it doesn’t really jive with their view of the afterlife anyhow. Plus, that “reviving the dead” thing hasn’t come up in a cursory Google, which I’ve come to trust far more than my own memory.

Well, that is a theory. But it's usually one held by the same kind of people that theorize the pyramids were built by aliens.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GeneX posted:

Ari, why do you even have this game?

Oh and I guess shadow Futaba’s weird refusal to actually let us help her despite actively asking for it is a thing too. It’s probably supposed to be a commentary on how people with certain conditions can reject even definite help while stuck in a bad place, but the game isn’t quite deep enough for it so it just juts out

When exactly in the series has a Shadow ever acted in a way that it's originator would like?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

Oh, that’s a stationary weapon back from the middle ages called a ballista.
You even know about stuff like this, Queen? I guess that’s pretty fitting for you.
And what’s that supposed to mean…?

Wait, what is that supposed to mean?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Roobanguy posted:

ff15 came out last year.

It came out like five days before last years awards.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

Futaba’s Persona is the loving Necronomicon, a fictional grimoire from the stories of HP Lovecraft, as represented by... a UFO.

A UFO with a sweet rear end gargoyle on the roof, because yes.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeah it's pretty much Atlus needing a way to keep the plot from advancing if you completed her palace immediately.

Yeah, but that's why the other people who have dungeons don't go into details beyond "They're recovering". Because holy poo poo Sojiro, her just passing out for three weeks is not okay and you need to go find a hospital to test for sleeping sickness or something.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

LightningKimba posted:

But the important question is - What element would Hifumi even have, if she were in the party? :v:

You're assuming that the super skilled strategist that teaches you combat maneuvers wasn't meant to be your mission control?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

LightningKimba posted:

Y’know upon retrospect, if we didn’t have Futaba, Hifumi is practically our navigator bundled up nicely.

"They cannot stand against the righteous anger of the Phantom Thieves! Rend them to ash with the fury of the black sun!"

"Wha?"

"They're weak to fire Skull. drat plebeians I just don't know why I bother sometimes."

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I still have no idea why Hitler shows up in Persona,

Because Nyarlathotep is a bombastic rear end in a top hat who was making a point about the evils of humanity.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

nor why they thought using his title but giving him sunglasses was any form of censorship.

Because CERO, the japanese version of ESRB, added a rule against any real historical figures appearing in video games between the time of the original release of the game and the PSP remake and Atlus was making a point of telling them to gently caress off as hard as they possibly could while still getting away with it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

I’m sure some people believed those guns were real. You’ll tell me how you procured them, won’t you? ...Spill it!

Who is the toymaker?!

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Deltasquid posted:

"Hey, I modify airsoft guns to make them look as realistic as possible for shady nondescript clients. You wanna help me destroy evidence?"

"Sure."

It's kind of insane how willingly Maaku skirts the edges of his probation sentence, especially in Japan where mere grounds of suspicion are enough to have the police hassle you until you confess.

“Hey, wanna participate in shady rear end medical experiments in exchange for illegal as hell untested drugs?

“Hey, wanna hire me as a prostitute in exchange for helping you cheat at school?”

“Hey, wanna help me scam the living poo poo out of people?”

Joker doesn’t give a gently caress.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

VolticSurge posted:

If that was a Theodore Rex reference, I love you.

If it was I definitely wouldn't admit it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

DanielCross posted:

At this point, I feel like Sojiro's trying to not-so-subtly hint for Maaku to buy a goddamn fan for the shop.

Bitching about the heat and not actually doing anything about it is a time honored japanese tradition.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GhostStalker posted:

I know, I was just saying that Japan doesn't have the same cultural hang up as far as I could tell.

No, they've got other cultural hangups. Mostly about wasting things.

Plus since it never really caught on it's much more expensive to get installed than most countries because there's just less suppliers competing with each other.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Deceitful Penguin posted:

One of my favourite things about readin this LP is seeing how it reveals cultural differences like this

Suffice to say, her having a younger lover is way, way better, especially as a woman, than her scoring drugs.

Yeah. Unfortunately. In japan the reaction to "I'm loving a 17 year old" is "Well that's weird and kinda creepy but I'm not gonna tell you what to do with your love life". But the reaction to "I'm buying some drugs" is "You're fired. And blacklisted. And now I'm calling the cops. Also calling your landlord, who will chuck your poo poo out onto the street while you're rotting in a cell because that whole 99% conviction rate thing really goes balls to the wall for drugs charges."

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

NullBlack posted:

some otherworldly being is going to destroy all life on Earth unless he abuses those cats?

I mean, that would be insane in the real world; but this is Persona. Could you really discount the possibility?

That probably would be the weirdest thing the series has ever done. But, admittedly, not by a very large margin.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Grouchio posted:

Japanese drug policy hasn't really changed since the McArthur days, hasn't it? I wonder why there's no talk of reform as potential pressure from other countries builds...?

"Hey maybe heroin isn't so bad after all" isn't really a popular diplomatic stance.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Gihyou posted:

This is your answer to everything, cat!

Well, yes. He’s a cat. Their only answer to things are either sleep or murder.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Stephen9001 posted:

but seriously complaining about the FPS lock is... elitist sounding? That the right description?

Stupid. The word you are looking for is stupid.

Robindaybird posted:

and too much is actually bad, Sims 3 used to have issues where they had no lock on FPS, so depending on your computer's config, it end up going up to 200 fps at times, which is absolute murder on your graphics card.

Blizzard forgot to cap framerate on the menu screens in Starcraft 2 so leaving it idle on one could actually burn out your hardware.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GunnerJ posted:

I read it as "set up a fund to help refugees but was actually just buying coke and hookers with it."

Yeah. A slush fund, by definition, is someone's off the record piggy bank.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GunnerJ posted:

It's an awkward phrase though because it also can be read as "an illicit account where he collected embezzled funds in order to help refugees" which is uh.

I mean.... considering Japanese politics... They're not exactly fond of the mainland.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
That loving sweater vest.

Arist posted:

What is up with all the non-sequiturs, man? Is your brain a loving View-Master, just randomly switching from subject to subject as if by the whims of a small, impatient, easily bored child?
I think he's supposed to be doing the "dropping hints to show that he knows more than you think and make the criminal nervous" thing, but he's just really bad at it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MightyPretenders posted:

The closest we've seen to him hanging out with friends is when he's annoying Sae or annoying Maaku.

Outside of TV interviews we only see him for about five minutes every month or two.

For all we know he's leading his own band of spunky crime solving high school students and we just haven't run into them.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So why does Futaba keep bullying the cat? Is it because he has a bullyable face?

Because sleeping all the time is her loving bit and he’s forcing Joker to step on her toes.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Grouchio posted:

Is Japan's summer climate more remiscent of New England's or Florida's?

Florida + volcanoes.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Oxxidation posted:

As we've already seen with Hifumi, by the time your trust with a confidant reaches a certain level Maaku is pretty comfortable making an oblique offer to just rub someone the gently caress out for them.

He's not as bad as Ryuji. But hey, the job does have perks. And some people need their metaphorical asses kicked.

Or their literal asses, but Joker is a class act so he sticks to stabbing people in their Jungian metaphors.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He didn't know, but it seems like he had a pretty good idea that's what she was doing.

There's only so many ways you can make that much money.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like Kawakami (or Sojiro) should have a talk with the MC about calling a sex worker service so often.

Sojiro A: Probably doesn't give a poo poo what he's up to after the shop closes as long as he's not making a mess and the cops aren't showing up. And B: would probably be encouraging Maaku in seducing older women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Maid service stuff in Japan is closer to being a stripper, albeit one that actually puts more clothes on clothes on, that being a prostitute. But regardless, it's still someone acting out a fetish for money even though there's (usually) no sex involved.