Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Junpei posted:

Again: Hashino's going to be working on Project Re: Fantasy, so keep very close eyes on that. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but knowing him... I'm right to be cautious.

On the other hand, Persona 6 will be freaking amazing without his grossness, at least, that's what I hope.

As long as we get Persona goodness with slightly less creepy men indulging in their fantasies of being a teenager dating adults, I'd be all over it. Not that most of the current wifu wars crew is any less creepy about teenage girls, but at least those relationships wouldn't be in-game felonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Most of these I get, but why is Makoto Shiek? Beyond being female martial artists, I don't really see much connection.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TheKirbs posted:

She has similar standing kicking animations. Plus she's the closest you can get unless you go for Mii Fighter in which case why not bother making special Miis for all of them.

That makes sense. Mii Brawler would be closest to her, but using Miis for any character is cheating. I guess Sheik or Zero Suit Samus would be the closest equivalents and Samus is already taken by Ann.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, it's because of a dearth of female brawlers. The outliers being Wii-Fit, Zero Suit Samus and Peach but the first doesnt look right and the other two use unconventional weapons even for the Phantom Thieves.

Haru could probably pull off Peach as well as she does Villager. Peach even fits the gardening theme with her turnips and, if you stretch it, Toad, but this is a topic that will lead to no end of arguing if followed.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Arist posted:

KILLLLLLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEE

Persona never lets go. It never lets you go.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

Nah, you're fine. Technically Persona 5 Royale with Cheese would count as a different game than base Persona 5, so you're not obligated to cover any of the new content for that one.

From what we can tell, the game will have changed so much that there isn’t a way to put in updates with all the changed material without making something nearly incoherently nit picky. Dungeon areas designed to use the Smash Bros-brand grappling hook alone would be nightmares to write or read.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Of all the things P5S could have been... I would not have guessed that.

You mean you didn’t see a game about thieves mowing down hordes of cannon fodder?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Most importantly more Haru/other Waifu time.

I’d be fine with SOME Haru time. The girl gets no screentime since everything shifts into overdrive after her dungeon ends. I could not tell you how her presence changes the group at all. I barely got her Confidant to level two before the game ended first time I played since she apparently uses the most complicated planters known to man.

Also, they are not being remotely subtle about who Handsome Man really is.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, it's a Thing in P3 that you don't really get a Persona unless you're traumatized.

Given how relatively easily the P4 and, debatably, P5 cast get their Personas, I think that the Kirijo Group scientists were just a bit too enamored with pointless malice. As shown with just about everything else they did.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I can imagine that having to endure agony when your Persona pipes up and having to rip part of your face off probably also sucked.

Did they ever explain why the P3 group were the only ones who needed an external device to summon where everyone else can just focus hard enough to do it?

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 13, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei posted:

I found this, it's actually really interesting.

Yeah, but he still has a body count of hundreds and happily betrayed the team with no remorse. I guess I’m saying that Akechi still blows.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

YaketySass posted:

There's a strong symbolic component to how every game presents Persona awakening: P3's theme is the death drive/fear of death, so you need to mimick suicide; P4 is truth against deception, so it's about acknowledging the Shadow self; and P5 is, fittingly enough, "gently caress you I won't do what you tell me".

Pretty sure that P5’s theme was a ripping off the mask society imposes to show your real self. Also, accepting the pain doing so will bring.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

YaketySass posted:

Which is hilarious considering how much he comes across as an apathetic fucker who just watches his social links gently caress themselves over.

He is literally dead inside.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Iamgoofball posted:

someone posted in here earlier but the main gist is more "she's incredibly emotionally compromised and it's totally taking advantage of her", especially with the way that scene it written for Futaba

Plus the whole sibling undertones the game has for her with the protagonist after she shows up. Futaba as a romance partner, at least as she is in-game, is kind of creepy. Not quite “date your teacher/doctor/every other moderately attractive older woman you know” creepy, but still.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

YaketySass posted:

Making friends with everyone is a huge part of the game now, it's just that for some reason the game pushes you to bed the entire female half.

At least it isn’t P3 where you couldn’t finish a female link without inducting her into your harem.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Aerdan posted:

i read her as being more ace than anything else, really. Wedded to her job, as it were.

Funky Valentine posted:

She's coded as an rear end in a top hat.

Both these things are true. She’s so obsessed with succeeding in a rigged system that she’s almost as warped as some of the actual villains in the game. I don’t see anything relating to any kind of sexuality from her because it’s one of many things that are irrelevant to her at the moment.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

GeneX posted:

Sae expresses zero romantic interest in anyone, and wearing pants does not have the slightest bit to do with someone's sexuality, you weirdos

like, what the hell, people

Some people like to read way too much into things. Sae is a careerwoman first and foremost. She barely takes time to sleep and eat. Romance isn’t remotely on her radar.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

MightyPretenders posted:

Did I mention earlier how neat it was that Shadow Sae's battle mode is just an even edgier take on Thief Makoto's design?

I never noticed before now, but you’re right. I guess leather and spikes run in the family.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Gruckles posted:

We don't need to turn persona into fire emblem fates.

Nothing should ever become Fire Emblem Fates.

YaketySass posted:

but which color should dominate the entire aesthetic

Green. We've hit every other primary color and purple was the theme of the first game. Of course, outlawing purple would indicate that they'd bother to acknowledge the first two games at all and P5 sharing red with the second game(s) shows that probably isn't happening.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 31, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Arbite posted:

A good show but I wouldn't say it was better than B:TAS.

So they're really not going to let you buy Royal as an expansion, eh?

Royal changes too much to be an expansion. It’d be a programming nightmare to try to add that much to the base game as it is and not have it collapse.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

I believe they suffer from a redesign of how Palaces function, where in the past keeping a low profile was a lot more important than it ended up being in the final game.

Here’s hoping that both they and Ohya herself get some major improvement in Royal, because as they are now, Ouya is the absolute worst Confidant in both technical and story perspectives.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Can we assume that he communicates with his parents offscreen at all? Because as far as I can tell they shove him off with a realive he hasn't seen since he was a baby, and also there's a serial killer and the never, like, check on him. Also they aren't sending him an allowance or anything because I remember how many goddamn envelopes I was folding. Furthermore there is not a single mention of anyone else he knew before Inaba, so either

1. Everyone else was, like, super boring
  2. He's never been anywhere long enough to form meaningful friendships
  3. He's going to delete his contact list the moment he gets off that train

Number 2 seems to be canon given the the Golden anime has his shadow flat out say Yu’s greatest fear is being alone again.

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeah if my kid was a stone-cold sociopath I'd fake my death in a car accident to get away from them too.

Hey. FemC at least has a personality beyond being edgy and apathetic. She’s only broken on the inside, like all SEES members.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 6, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

https://youtu.be/WnwQ_aKGXBE

New trailer.

We learn what the creepy skull potatoes do, the new girl’s arcana (Faith), see more grappling hook action and more.

Most importantly, guns are actually useful now because your imaginary ammo replenishes after battle!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

I looked really closely, but I didn't see anything related to the arcana.

It was cut from a longer video that did also reveal Kasumi’s Confidant card from the end of one of her ranks. I didn’t realize it was cut until later.

https://youtu.be/mzBw8Gcp5vU

Extended trailer. This time with details about Kasumi. Her arcana is Faith, her persona does bless and physical skills, and her Confidant gives Joker even more ridiculous acrobatics and grappling hook moves.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 15, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

I really wish you could shout that you love Ryuji.

Speaking of love for Ryuji

https://youtu.be/9MMARhFYDf0

Ryuji’s Royal introduction trailer. He gets a combo attack with Yusuke and, more importantly, third tier personas are back. They seem to be fusions of both first and second tiers

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Wiseblood posted:

For some reason Haru is the only one who seems genuinely hurt. With the others it's mostly mild disappointment.

Yeah. She seems to be the one who will always carry a torch for Joker. Makes it all the worst given that her joining time and high stat requirement make her the least commonly picked girl in the Phantom Thieves, so she's almost always getting heartbroken.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Makoto is honestly the best party member in the game. She's a Jack of All Trades done right who can slot in anywhere. She isn't amazing at anything, but she's good at everything, even without her absurd endgame gun. The fact that her element is rarely resisted and her weakness is the rarest enemy attack element in the game doesn't hurt, either. Or that her only competition for healing are both very squishy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

They exist at all points in the timeline as the Velvet Room's soundtrack, but can only physically manifest when Atlas acknowledges the existence of Persona I and II. Kind of like Theo, but much worse.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Wasn’t the whole point of Sae’s Palace that she was dangerously close to crossing a serious line, but not at the point of no return yet? Her changing was a little weak, but that comes back to the decision of the framing device of the game spanning interrogation. You know, the one that presents her as paranoid enough to assume every single interaction the player has as a diabolical plot, yet patient enough to sit through the every irrelevant detail of seven months of a clearly drugged teenager’s life.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Y'know, have to wonder if that might be a spiritual regression.

More like a re-evaluation or old ideas to help advance in a new direction. They are just making more advanced versions of the same root ideas. The fusion has thematic elements of both previous tiers, but looks much more personalized for them than the fully mythological figures they used to be.

I just want to see how Makoto’s new fused persona will work since Anat was just Johanna in robot mode.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The only “redemption” for Akechi I would accept is him taking the rap for Joker to let him have the additional three months and agreeing to never appear again.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei posted:

I mean, I wouldn't mind a chance to play around with Akechi-Loki with new skills and a new appearance, but probably in some sort of non-canon capacity, or at the very least with the PTs making it very clear that this is purely for dealing with (new Royal-only villain scenario).

If they, unfortunately, do team up again, the group should absolutely have mutual hostility between them the whole time. The first Royal trailer flat or has Akechi himself rejecting the obsessive pity the fangirls have for him as an insult, so I have some hope.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Stroth posted:

Even that would just be ripping off persona 4 though.

It’s the only excuse I can come up with as for why Joker gets to walk free in Royal with the plot we have now.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Guess what? It’s Trailer Tike again! This time with Makoto.

https://youtu.be/N5Wuqy85FoU

Not much to say, but she has a spike that puts Shadow Kamoshida to shame and clearly terrifies Ryuji in their Showtime attack.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Stroth posted:

My god they actually made Sae act like an older sibling instead of Lawyer Bot 187. It's honestly kinda hard to imagine her giving her little sister poo poo by telling embarrassing stories to the new boyfriend.

Yeah, it does seem like a nice moment where Sae shows a sense of humor and having Joker and Makoto dating fat the time would really fit.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Wait.

Is the only reason that Morgana has a crush on Anne because her Metaverse personality is cat-themed?

Nah, he fell for her as soon as he saw her in her normal clothes. The cat theme was just a bonus.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Our favorite tiny nerd got her trailer today.

https://youtu.be/asZwmiMgBBc

Shows Star Wars/pyramid-inspired third Persona and how her All Out Attack works.

Now in English:

https://youtu.be/iqSrrTfJ6sQ

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 23, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

YaketySass posted:

So the Fake Igor bad ending is basically a superhero universe where the protagonists keep fighting the same battles without ever challenging the status quo, because the apathy of the public means new targets will always arise for the Phantom Thieves to gain glory from?

That and a dash of the Thieves being corrupted by their powers and losing sight of any goal beyond gaining more glory.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

It’s also a deal specifically between Joker and Fake Igor, so who knows if the other Phantom Thieves are anything more than living toys for Joker’s ego in that reality.

Good point. The other Thieves never got released from their Velvet Room cells, so their wills are implicitly suppressed. Which makes sense since none of them would be likely to agree to this situation. So not only did Joker sell himself out, he sold his team into mind slavery to keep ego tripping as a superhero pawn of Yaldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

I’m pretty sure the extra 3 months are going to be wish fulfilment dreams being built by Sophia, the agnostic “mother” of Yaldabaoth who created him and is associated with spirituality and dreaming.

That would also provide a “fairy godmother” to fit Kasumi’s ”Cinderella”.