Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ApeHawk posted:

First name: gently caress the, Last name: Police

Nah, just kidding: Maaku Hamiru, even though I don't get the reference but everyone else does.

Luke skywalker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

p5 suffers the most from a "play 30 minutes every week" format.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Blastinus posted:

You too, huh? That does result in a heaping amount of people telling you to do it anyway, but I guess the plot wouldn't progress otherwise.

I've read excuses for how extreme this teacher abuse subplot gets, that it makes sense because of Japanese cultural norms about politeness and respecting authority. But even so, they really do go to the far end with how hopeless the situation is. Every kid you talk to is bandaged to the nines, and they treat Kamoshida like an unstoppable boogeyman who no one will dare touch, when it seems like the solution would just be to smuggle a camera into one of those training sessions and show it to the police.

Unless they're in on the volleyball craze too or something.

It happens in America as well. See the Jerry Sandusky case and how it was covered up even after a reporter revealed everything, and a memorial of his death was honored like he did nothing wrong despite all evidence.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rangpur posted:

the world today just nuts

TMZ and Periscope and World Star

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Omobono posted:

:agreed:
Is there a Shogi anime/manga by the way?

Yes, March Comes in like a Lion.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Do you really want Sega involved again

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Omobono posted:

:magical:

What happened to you Sonic? You used to be fun.

Sonic Mania is really good.

Forces, not so much.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They improved on the last time Persona and Sonic had a crossover

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ah good, I was assuming it would as I haven't really watched it yet.

Also I'm almost certain when we get Persona 5 Crimson or whatever it will be called they'll tone it down there too.

The only way they'll tone it down is if they write a completely new character

They didn't re-write anything for Persona 4 Golden, just added stuff

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

DeafNote posted:

I forgot that Elizabeth is not actually a social link in P3

In OG, in P3P she was.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cdyoung posted:

No, Mirage sessions was handled by Nintendo.

No, Atlus did localize TMS

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/04/22/atlus-localization-for-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe/

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only reason I remember that Hood fought in the crusades is Men in Tights.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voice Acting for localization is more in the 70-80% range on the VA director.

Outside of some incredible circumstances like Chaos war with literal volunteers, the VA themselves is the last person at fault.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Japanese directors have an infamous history at times of meddling in localization to poo poo things up.

The most money-wasting one was the dub of Eureka 7 when they were 13 episodes in the process by pronouncing Eureka as what english speakers would say. Then the japanese speaker said to pronounce it their way (Air-Eee-Kah) and replaced Yuri with Johnny Young Bosch.

The 2nd most infamous is the reason why the Resident Evil 1 dub is so lovely is because the japanese capcom people just chose the lines based on what sounded best to them. Them, the japanese people that don't speak a lick of english.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The most "Not the actor's fault" that still gets flack to this day (James Arnold Tayler still gets poo poo sent to him) is Final Fantasy X.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/true-tales-from-localization-hell

quote:

Essentially, it came down to having to rewrite the script to fit not just the lips, but also very, very strict length considerations. We had been aware of that when we were working on the original translation, but we didn’t realize how serious they were about not having the English voices go over the length of the Japanese voices at any point.

Because the way that the game engine was triggering sound files was tied into the same system that it was using to trigger action on the screen, so if you had a sound file that went overboard by even half a second, it could throw off the entire scene and you could get a crash.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Solitair posted:

Has anyone in the real world ever reverted to another speech pattern or language from getting too stressed or angry, or is this just a thing that happens in stories?

Short answer, yes. Especially if english is not your first language.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

He's not american, we don't know how good or bad coverage is on his home country.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Stroth posted:

True, but Sony is still going to be displeased about it. Persona is one of their big cash cows these days and there's no way they're happy about Nintendo getting a suck at the udder. Sega did not sell that one cheap.

Your fanfiction financials assume it's the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Leraika posted:

Aww, is it bad? I was thinking about picking up Q2.

Q2's main feature is that P3's female protag is basically the main heroine since she hangs out with your party and establishes herself before the male p3 enters the picture.