Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are you gonna do party member write-ups? I'd be happy to do them for more in-depth stuff if people care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Morgana's pretty great (I'd consider him one of the best healers the series has produced mechanically, vying with Yukiko), but man is he fragile.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Junpei posted:

Morgana also learns (Ma)Sukunda, which allows him to rob enemies of their damage output while making annoying misses on you go away. Combined with the party member who learns (Ma)Sukukaja, you can get some insane dodging going on.

Just pointing out that Morgana doesn't learn the single-target Sukunda.

I still maintain that Arsene is the best protaganist Persona they've done.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Haifisch posted:

But if you do this you owe it to yourself to look up the male's Hermit route, since it's the only one that got worse in the female version.

Justice.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

resurgam40 posted:

Anyway, this update offers the first "Social Links" of this game, and already it's worth discussing how differently these are being handled this time around. First off, as Arist already pointed out, our first link with our bro Ryuji is the Chariot, the seventh card in the Tarot, rather than the Magician, the first card, and consequently the Arcana of the first real characters we meet in other Persona titles (Junpei in 3 and Yosuke in 4).

Just pointing out that Junpei isn't the first we meet in 3, it was Yukari (Lovers).

Anyway, I like Ryuji in battle. He's pretty much an amalgamation of Chie and Kanji. Problem for me (personally) is that he also gets Chie's huge dearth of kinda blah skills around midgame, though his early skills are good enough to carry him for a long time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

OddObserver posted:

Wasn't Pharos met first? (Though Yukari was shown before that)

Well in terms of playable party members. Because if we count important non-party members, you meet Dojima, Nanako and Margaret (Hierophant, Justice and Empress) before Yosuke.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd say Ann is more Mitsuru than Yukiko. Both are clearly primed to be the queen of magic damage, with some status and healing utility on the side. Ann works out better in practice because status effects are more useful in this game and she has Tarunda (which is gold for boss fights).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

GeneX posted:

Morgana's insistence on referring to Ann as "Lady Ann" , alomgside constant attempts to get her to like him, is obnoxious and unrelenting. Combine it with his constant making GBS threads on Ryuji, general arrogance, and near-omnipresence (teddie didn't chime in on more-or-less anything you did, which is why he's bearable) and it makes him a character I strongly dislike, even as the game seems to presume that I like him.

Ann is a fine character that exists to be ogled by the audience and other characters and that's really loving bad.

Eh, it's a crush. Morgana is never skeevy about it. Teddie did way worse in P4.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There also haven't really been many 'stereotypical hot dude' party members in Persona history either. The closest you get is maybe Akihiko who's popular with girls.

But just about every game you have the standard popular bombshell smart female, like Mitsuru and Yukiko. Even Yukari was popular in school.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Excluding Ann and Joker, there are three other characters (one being Ryuji) that can inflict a status (not including the random Burn/Freeze/Shock). Which is around 2/3rds of the cast.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In all honesty, I kept all but one of them til the endgame. Having the chance to disrupt an otherwise tough enemy with no weaknesses can mean breezing through another random fight or resetting. Having status on physical skills also makes them 'cheaper' to use, since Ann's status moves take away from her SP pool. She has a generous amount, but you don't want to go too nuts with it anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Materant posted:

Correction: you only get to straight retry from boss/miniboss fights on the easiest difficulty. Any other difficulty will at minimum punt you back to your last safe room.

Incorrect, I play on Hard and you definitely get to retry bosses/minibosses.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah on Hard/Merciless it's really recommended to get everyone's levels up; level 11 is really ideal, as it unlocks a whole bunch of useful skills. Ann gets Tarunda, Ryuji gets Headbutt, and Morgana gets Media.

Fusing Obaryion is really nice for this fight, as he resists physical. Slime's another option if you're at level 10.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ehh, Teddie was pretty much a kid mentally and he comes off as worse than Morgana (and I say that as someone who likes Teddie).

I don't really mind Morgana, and if his fixation on Ann is really that off-putting it's not nearly as omnipresent as soon as we get more party members.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ryuji/Ann's VAs really shine in these scenes. I can only imagine how fun it was to pretend you're stuffing your face with delicious food.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This is just the start of many, many interactions that end with "...oh, Mishima." Vary the inflection and tone depending on your level of disappointment.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

gyrobot posted:

Not just death but also loss in general. A friend moves away with no way to keep in touch, an online game shut down leaving nothing but memories or a store opens its doors for the last time.

Persona 4's idea about truth and lies also is seen in the social links. Everyone had a lie they made themselves to cope and through your help they stop lying to themselves and become stronger people

Except the Fox. And Margaret.

P4's choice of SLs can be rather questionable at times.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

oath2order posted:

I don't think it's even possible to bum rush Guts that far at this point. Unlike a bunch of other stats, it doesn't have a consistent action to grind it up quickly at the cost of social links.

Basically, the only reason this scene plays here now is for New Game Plus. You can even see people doing it well before they could in a new game when you look at everyone's actions at night.

It does, but notably, we don't have access to it for a little while.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly the main thing putting me off from regular Mementos outings is that, like regular Palace visits, they exhaust you for the night.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Drakenel posted:

Regarding mementos, the pollen warning days can be abused to hilarious effect to make the whole game trivial. Though I suppose that'd be bad for a LP.

Not the season you're thinking of, actually.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm surprised you didn't bring up that whenever you get a question right on the exam, Morgana goes, "Oooh, we can do thiiis!" and it's pretty adorable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's really only Yosuke though. The only other members to interact with her are off the top of my head Teddie (who's eh, Teddie) and Chie (who's perfectly cordial to her).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

GeneX posted:

This, not making you get some sleep because the developers now hate internal narration, is why I dislike Morgana: it's where his infatuation with Ann crosses the line from annoying but fine to outright awful. It frames all his other stuff in a much less innocent light.

When you're deliberately tricking the object of your obsession into stripping for you, your crush isn't innocent.

I always saw it as less of a 'totally perving on Ann' and more of a 'feelings on Ann aside, the only objective way to do this is for Ann to accept Yusuke's request'. Like if they had more lines with Morgana/Ryuji going 'this isn't cool but it's the only way' instead of just Ann finally deciding it's worth it, it'd seem less bad.

It might be because this infilitration is right after Kamoshida. I mean it's not like this whole sequence of events would look less bad if Yusuke was trying to get Ryuji to pose nude.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A lot of people compare Yusuke's in-battle performance to Chie (mostly because Ryuji is basically Kanji 2.0), but that's not strictly accurate. Yusuke is far more akin to Junpei than anything - assorted physical skills, High Counter, a buff and a little magic, but without Charge and stuck with some fairly hard-hitting but situational skills.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AriadneThread posted:

give me another persona game with a female mc please and thank you

incidentally, thanks for lping this game for us ps4-less scrubs

It's called Persona 4 Arena (Ultimax) and her name is Labrys.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ChaosArgate posted:

I wouldn't use the MC primarily as a healer, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to use some of his turns pinch healing if you really need it. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get Media on at least a few Personas so you can swap out Morgana and have everyone else pile on the damage for this fight.

While there are better options for healers, like Morgana, Joker has the advantage of being able to switch his weaknesses on the fly, and his natural adaptability allows him to be even more efficient than Morgana. And while he can optimize himself for damage, Ann and Ryuji are never really too far behind.

So Joker really functions best as a support in my opinion. Fill the holes that your team members can't, with some damage options.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rawkking posted:

Money's got a lot of uses in this game, and magic healing is more efficient than magic damage (and also more efficient cost-wise than healing items once you have more SP recovery options). With the physical-focused characters tending to have more HP and defense than the magic-focused ones you can use physicals with them and when your fragile magic user(s) (Ann or Morgana) gets whacked all the characters are more or less ready for a good group heal from either you or Morgana.

At this point in the game I prioritized stat debuffs for bosses/minibosses (Ann has Tarunda but Rakuna/Sukunda are great), then physical skills (for random encounters), then a single divine grace healer persona, then psi/nuke/bless/curse skills (for hitting weaknesses on tough enemies only). Also status effects were somewhere there, I think still the single target physical ones (dream needle/skull cracker/headbutt) that carried me through Kamoshida's palace.

Tarunda is really really great and is the reason why I brought Ann to all but one boss fight. And by the time she's ready to move on from it (either because you have more effective debuffs and/or Marakukaja) she's more or less ready to just roast everything with her Agi spells.

I'm really sad Morgana doesn't learn Sukunda, but I guess he has a lot to do as it is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
See this is how you know Ann is a quality person, she prioritized the dessert table at the buffet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Having hostage be any more common that it already is would make it annoying.

The only reason people get hung up over it is because it's tied to a trophy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Like I think the Mementos mini-bosses are more like helping someone semi-naturally have an epiphany and convincing them to change their behavior before it warps out of control. It'd still be better to go through that using mundane ways, but that's not really possible for our protagonists.

It's arguable that the Memento bosses would basically have eventually warped into having a palace if they were allowed to be left alone for longer; after all, nobody was really stepping up to stop them either.

The way I'd look at it is that anyone can have warped desires. You could easily twist Ryuji's frustration with adults or Ann's guilt over Shiho into something. It's whether or not you have people that can step in to stop you or to help you that will determine if those desires will manifest into a Treasure.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also a note that Memento bosses actually do have treasures, it's the item you get after beating them. They're just considerably less valuable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Coffee can, but curry can't.

So making coffee is the superior choice 90% of the time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
For all the things that P5 does right, positive portrayal of homosexuality is still something they have a long way to go for.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ryuji is a very realistically written teenager. Like Yosuke, the narrative kind of makes him looks worse because somebody has to be the default mouthpiece or first idea, like how Yosuke has to point out all the obvious ideas that get shot down for the investigation to move anywhere.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the upside, one of the teachers does mention his partner in passing. It's very easily missed, but at least there's something in P5 that's not just a joke.

Still, I think P5 does handle it slightly better than P4, which was almost tasteful but then yosuke.txt.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Oxxidation posted:

Persona 4 had so many scenes that were presumably meant to be funny but left no impact on me except a lingering distaste in hindsight.

Like basically everything about Hanako.

Even Kashiwagi. For all her problems she's actually a surprisingly good teacher. I mean she actually teaches more relevant stuff than Edogawa in P3.

P5 probably has the least 'girls are mean to boys because they are perverts' scenes, surprisingly enough. I mean, Ann, but that slowly gets less and less and goes away by the last part of the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah for many people, this is Sae's 'Yusuke blackmailing Ann' moment, the part which just sours their view of the character completely.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Haifisch posted:

Reminder that one of the writers said that it's impossible for men and women to be platonic friends.

Which explains a lot about P3's romance routes when you think about it.

But, but then why couldn't I date Junpei???

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Grouchio posted:

No I mean, weren't there confidant opportunities that day that Arist wanted to get done?

Nothing's permanently missable. I mean obviously you have a 'last day' available to do some confidants near the end of the game, but that's very far off into the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I have some issues with Makoto's Phantom Thief design and characterization, but the bulk of it can wait. That said, her costume is actually my least favourite - it just looks a bit edgy and uncomfortable.