Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kinda makes it nonsurprising when you then begin to do crimes when everyone already treats you like you like your steaks well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Are those pants about to turn out to be dress code? The MC having a unique outfit is one thing, but now he's not the only person wearing plaid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Suffice it to say there's a reason Shujin's uniform is so fancy, but that's another few updates away.

I'm not worried about the rest of the protagonist's clothes. Just wondering if the pants are going to be a regular thing once we get to school.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

A question, though: why do some of you dislike the tonal clash in comparison to the other Persona games? I find it refreshing that we have three whole games now in which there is a discernible emotional thread... and I don't really see what's so wrong about the way it goes about establishing the tone either. I mean, look at the main character and his situation, and look at how the Velvet Room appears to him: no fancy elevators or limousine rides for Maaku, just chains and a prison cell to reflect the injustice done to him. If P3 was infused with moribund, existential sadness and P4 suffused with the joy of self actualization, the mood of P5 would seem to be anger; this is an angry young man we are in control of here, angry in the way previous Persona protagonists have not portrayed as being.* At least, that how I reacted, to the point I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed Arist isn't choosing the more dickish options being offered to him; due to the thorough unpleasantness with which everyone has been treating him, why should he be nice?

The game just started and everyone has such a low opinion of you at this point that I'm not really bothered by Maaku-kun being a polite-ish boy and keeping his snide comments to himself. For now at least. I'm sure when we're not too worried about getting tazed or punched for starting a conversation later in the game, we'll be more free about that kinda stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shogeton posted:

Honestly, I LIKED the intro. Yeah, it's very hostile, yeah, it's very much 'What the gently caress society', but it gets me in an ANGRY mood, which I think is very much 'working as intended'

And I don't even think it's that unrealistic. Even being acquitted for a crime can get you a serious sigma (smoke = fire and all that) so if you're actually convicted, yeah, you've pretty much Pariah city.

Yeah, I agree. It's going for a tone at least and I can easily tell what that is so I can't really say that I'm put off by any of it. (People think) You did a crime and now they're treating you like a criminal to some degree. I mean, they're rude. No one's thrown any garbage at you or spat in your face or anything so I'd say things're going pretty well so far. I can't really blame Arist for not being sassy with people giving him poo poo since it's probably the same direction I would've gone. I feel like at this point, if Maaku came home with his glasses broken and covered in bruises people would probably assume he did something to provoke that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clarste posted:

I like that Ryuji first reaction to someone trying to kill him is is to tell Maaku to run while the enemy's distracted. Even this random guy we just met is heroic in his own way.

I'm a huge fan of the fact that Vulgar Boy made an effort to defend himself and knocked one of those knights on their rear end too. That's the kinda thing I was really hoping for at least once in Persona 4 when people were confronting their shadows.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Carados posted:

Without causing a large detail, they went all in on gamergate and all that entails.

PM me about it, I've got this weird brain thing where I find that stuff fascinating to read about from people on here.

Arist posted:

Update: He just laughs and says, "No need for mere words. Show me your true feelings."

I'm glad you went back and looked, because I certainly wouldn't if I had the game. It seems like the type of option that'd get you killed. Like he just retreats back to wherever and the soldiers just kill you both.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordNagash posted:

People are being pretty hard on Sojiro, maybe it was due to having the voice acting but he always came across as totally a big softy blustering about how TOTALLY HARSH he was gonna be and IF YOU gently caress UP YOU'RE OUT oh by the way you're in charge of my sign ok buddy?

Also I found the setup of this game way more believable than the start of Persona 4, really. 'Guy gets caught up in incident and gets hosed over by a corrupt system now everyone treats him like poo poo' seemed way more realistic than 'guy moves into a new town with the nicest teenagers in the universe and everyone instantly likes him'.

Weird, you normally think stories about people entering other planes of reality through televisions would be more true to life.

especially the ones that have large mascot-like bears form human bodies from what was previously an empty void

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Ir’s like that every day here. What’s more, you two escaped yesterday. He must have lost his temper quite a bit.

Itty bitty little typo there.

Is Captain Kidd's voice actor Izaya from Durarara? Sounded like him to me.

GunnerJ posted:

Probably because it hasn't come up in the LP, buddy.

That's kinda how recruiting new party members went in 4, honestly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

A weird spin on the Touhou approach of "beat people up to make them your friends".

Are you actually familiar with 4 and just making a joke or no? Because I could easily make a rundown post that's too sparse and inspire two pages of corrections, if not.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

He's not Johnny Yong Bosch, no. It's still Max Mittelman. I don't love his Kidd voice but it's fine.

Oh wow, I totally misread the update. I thought Max Mittleman was Ryuji, not Kidd.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist, thank you for making such long updates, because man do I really wanna dive into this game.

It helps that it's kicking off a lot faster than Persona 4 did too. I'm sure it'll slow down in the time between getting your fourth and fifth party members though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Oh, HECK yes! You can tell that they took the criticism of P4's pacing to heart, since in that game, it takes at least two or three ingame days before you even catch a glimpse into the TV world, let alone start investigating it. Don't get me wrong, I love Persona 4, but it is daunting to go back through the intro portion, just because it lasts so friggin' long.

Oh yeah, no one ever says 'Man, gently caress Persona 4' because of the intro or anything but- like any game- with such a slow intro it's hard to work up the enthusiasm to go back and play it over again. It certainly happens to me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Is the Lum Invader at it again, or are you both just still keeping your avatars from their last spree?

I wanted a Lum avatar, I got one, and I'm keeping it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm not a mod or anything but I thiiiink we might be getting a little ahead of ourselves here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

I completely disagree on the intro talk. Nothing helps an RPG kick off better than a strong extremely story focused intro, the vast majority of the best RPGs have em. And while this gane still counts, it desperately needed some slice of life stuff here to ease you in, if it wasnt for Shiho I probably wouldve stopped playing on a bad note for a while rather than finish the first arc and wait for the lp in an attempt to not be able to spoil things cuz seriously I have no clue. And maybe a more efficient calender.

Edit: Pretty sure both the old and new tarot decks are actual decks being referenced if not copied.

All I'm saying is that a long slow intro makes re-playing the game kinda unappealing. It's fine on a first go around, of course.

For me at least. I've seen quite a few people try to play Yakuza 0 and having episodes about not getting to play fast enough.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Special shoutout in that scene goes to the kids who, discovering that one of their classmates tried to commit suicide, decided to pull out their phones and take pictures. It's the little things that really make you dislike the faceless NPCs that populate this world.

It's also possible that they could be sending that information to friends and/or family in different schools.

Anyway, wow is this game more immediately interesting than 3 and 4. Without even making the dungeon the part that you're most excited about.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really Pants posted:

I'm starting to think Kamoshida isn't all that nice

I don't trust that Kingpin-lookin' principal either.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man I hope this game gives you the team attacks and extra costumes super quick too, since it's already bucking the trend and getting right into some really engrossing poo poo within like the first 45 minutes of gameplay.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dang guys, we haven't even had a chance to use her in a fight yet. Can you really not hold it in till we've had a chance to give her an order in battle more times than 0?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

They really do a good job with Sojiro. At first he just seems to be another reminder that society hates you but as you dig into the game you start to see just how good a person he actually is. Also I never even saw some of the scenes in this update so I am looking forward to seeing what else I missed in this game.

Sojiro- who I almost called Sakura for some reason???- just seems like a guy trying to be a hardass all the time but can't help but show that he's not in every single conversation you have with him.

I feel like this dungeon expedition is going slower than P4 when it finally let you get up in there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

To be fair, Sakura is his surname. :v:

Oh, well now it just makes perfect sense. Thank you for that.

Also, boy you guys seriously wanna get into this game. Conversations about Ann's usefulness late-game, how she stacks up against later party members, skills we haven't seen yet.

It's like I'm in a Geop or Chip Cheezum thread. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GeneX posted:

For all that I have serious problems with basically the entirety of the game's first 2 arcs, the game absolutely nails Sojiro's characterization.

It makes me wonder why him of all people. Whoever scouted him out as jailer for Maarku must've realized that his drill sergeant personality was just a weak act.

I mean, it had to have been noticed. If the MC came to him in the middle of the night claiming he had a nightmare, Sojiro would probably cook him something his mom/dad would make for him as a kid. And if that happened he'd be liable to tuck him into bed afterwards.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rangpur posted:

I actually had the opposite reaction. Persona 4 takes it's time getting you to the first dungeon to an almost absurd degree, although you can complete it in one shot like the day after Chie joins the party. P5 lets you in a lot earlier, but they parcel out the initial exploration because there's more to it than in the previous game.

I don't think we're disagreeing? I think this is taking longer to finish than Persona 4's first dungeon is all I'm saying.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Someone rang?

Hotlinked instead of inlined for major P4 spoilers.

This is like worrying about Street Fighter 4 spoilers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

So, I just found out, too late, that there are apparently two more SP drinks in the arcade on Central Street, an area that serves almost no purpose. I even walked in there and somehow completely ignored the vending machine.

Are they any better than what you did find though?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

I think I’d feel a lot better about Ann and her costume if this game wasn’t so drat thirsty over her.

Yeah, I agree. Either tone it down or take it up to the point of comedy. All the party members keep hitting on her! Shadows occasionally profess their love to her. Some of your Persona grow stronger when in a battle with her, etc.

Arist posted:

A stronger Persona has been born from the body and bloody of the old. It shall be your new strength.

Just blood right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So these are the extremely important character flaws that people couldn't keep their mouths shut about for two updates.

Yeah, I would've swapped Ann and Ryuji's knocked out poses and given Ann a Yamcha one instead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I mean, fair enough if you think her outfit is alright or don't find that enough of a negative to make you put the game down, but it's maybe going a bit too far to step up and say 'I stand with cheesecake' about the whole thing.

I can only remember P4 characters so I wonder what the other party members are gonna be like.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Having recently looked up a bunch of the Confidants and their romantic conclusions on YouTube, I will admit to being curious about which ones you would never pick, but I guess that would be spoilers.

Trying to romance Sojiro would be super weird.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

I don't know why I'm even asking this, but I might as well: I recorded two takes of the next boss fight. Do you guys want to see the one where I gently caress up and almost die or the one where I do a good job because I'm a cool guy?

The good take, and just comment throughout it about how an incompetent buffoon would totally select the wrong attack or heal the boss unlike a cool games master like yourself. :cool:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ehh, Teddie was pretty much a kid mentally and he comes off as worse than Morgana (and I say that as someone who likes Teddie).

I don't really mind Morgana, and if his fixation on Ann is really that off-putting it's not nearly as omnipresent as soon as we get more party members.

I can't believe we're going to stuff Morgana in a bed drawer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

After completing the Duwang translation of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable, I'm pretty resilient against bad localizations.

Plus I used to read a lot while I was in school so I tended to just gloss over mistakes to begin with.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GeneX posted:

I think going to the bathhouse on a rainy day raises Guts instead of Charm.

I really like the detail they put into all of the side events; for all the problems I have with the main game (a few kinda irredeemably so), things like the movie theater do a bunch to make up for it.

Man, you've been hyping it up so much that I can't wait for the game to hit its CAD miscarriage point now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I'm kind of wondering what it is myself. I've finished the game and can't really think of anything that stuck out too egregiously.

I'm looking forward to finding it out, would you be able to PM it to me?

Friendship ended with Ryuji, now Kamoshida is my best friend!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat it, the Boys have down another crime right under our noses!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

She has a sister, too, so it'd be great if she's a Social Link as well.

Really, I'd love it if pretty much every remaining Social Link prompted some nonsensical dialogue from Sae like the last one.

I hope the Anguished One shows up and she continues to predict all the possible associates you've made along the journey. Mysterious pen pals, higher beings, pictures of friends from long ago, everyone.

*Slams fist on table* And your lucky numbers are 9, 22, 33, 37, 40, and 46, aren't they!?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

How about we let the game play out until we get to the scene in question, since we probably have at least a week of in-game time before we even get there.

No man, everyone must know that the game is going to poo poo itself and be bad every single update. It has to be said here to people who don't know, instead of the Games thread, where people are already experienced with the game too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aw man, I can't believe that this game falls apart right after the intro. It's Eyes of Heaven all over again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, I thought you were LPing Persona 5. When'd you swap out the pictures for Mario and Luigi: Dream Team? :v: