Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I had no problems whatsoever with Persona 5's tone. It's definitely not subtle about its themes, and I can understand an argument that it's repeating itself way too often to be considered "good writing", but I think it handles its tone well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

So is this still taking place in the same world as 3 and 4? One the A) Didn't get devoured by the moon and B) People are now having increasing difficulty ignoring themselves in?

Yeah, it's the same world. I estimate about 5 years after P4, although they just say 20XX. You just have to assume that these world-devouring calamities happen every couple of years without anyone noticing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Keep in mind that the main song that's playing through most of this is this: https://clyp.it/qineekdi?token=2453080849491b386edc1df47e4ef287

Not exactly an anthem to rage, or any sort of passion really. If anything the story is cultivating a growing sense of disgruntlement or grudging acceptance, presumably with the intent of releasing it cathartically.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

He's a comedian, and no one laughs when he praises a game. That's about it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I like that Sakamoto's first reaction to someone trying to kill him is is to tell Maaku to run while the enemy's distracted. Even this random guy we just met is heroic in his own way.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 20, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I wonder if anyone in the world chose that "well, I guess I might've been wrong" option on the first playthrough. What would Arsene even say to that?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Having Curse and Bless deal damage while also adding Nuke and Psi pretty much doubled the number of elements you need to test though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

dasmause posted:

Also fun fact: due to bug or something, MC has two of the same starter gun

My understanding was that Maaku starts with a gun equipped (like everyone else; he just can't use it or look at it before the tutorial), but Ryuji also gives you a gun in the cutscene, which actually enters your inventory. So you end up with two guns.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Captain Kidd is significant because he was betrayed by the authorities (he was a privateer who was sold out by his employers). This connects him to Ryuji who was betrayed by his coach.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The point is to make the characters desperate enough to actually consider jumping into his head and maybe killing him.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 1, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think it's mostly for the time limit, but my impression is that he doesn't consider you significant enough for him to even bother doing it earlier. The board meeting is when it's most convenient for him.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Aerdan posted:

Most of the folks complaining about the localization do it professionally or quasiprofessionally, from what I can tell.

No, most of the people complaining about it are random people reblogging a few people who are professional translators with comments like "a professional translator thinks the localization is bad!" because they refuse to think for themselves. Given that the entire point of localization is to create a product that reads smoothly to an average person from another culture, this isn't something that it takes specialized knowledge to judge. If anything, professionals are overly sensitive to it because that extra sensitivity helps them do their job.

I say this as a quasiprofessional who hangs out with professionals who think it's fine, more or less. Could certainly have been improved with another editing pass or two, but given the huge volume of text in the game I can understand that they probably didn't have time to do that. The game was already delayed as it is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That's also true, the voice acting does its best to sell even some of the more awkward lines.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

orenronen posted:

and the lines that were obviously written by a (likely Japanese) non-native English speaker that should have been found in editing (some of them are right there in the first five minutes of the game!)

I personally took that to be "translation-ese", where you intentionally leave a sentence in an awkwardly literal place so that a future editor knows exactly what they have to work with. If you make major changes to have it flow naturally at too early a step in the process, you risk having the line be "translated" through multiple different people's interpretations and end up losing some of the original nuance. It's not a fundamentally bad process, it just didn't work out all the time.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 2, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, the thing about voice acting in particular is that you need to the script to be finalized well before the game is actually shipped, because you need to send that script to the recording studio. I wouldn't be surprised if, later in development, they'd realized the problem with some of the lines but couldn't afford to do anything about it with the lines already recorded.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 2, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd say Ann is more Mitsuru than Yukiko. Both are clearly primed to be the queen of magic damage, with some status and healing utility on the side. Ann works out better in practice because status effects are more useful in this game and she has Tarunda (which is gold for boss fights).

That's how I thought of her too. Tentarafoo for life.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, she does work as a model, apparently by choice, so it's not like she's totally against being seen as sexy, or flaunting her beauty. The point is just that that by itself doesn't make her a slut or a sex doll or whatever.

I mean, Hamiru's problem is that people unjustly see him as a criminal so he dresses up as... a thief? People think Ryuji's a dumb thug so he dresses up as a thug with a pirate theme? It's less like they're denying what people see them as, and more that they're repurposing the image that was thrust upon them into their own power. Of rebellion.

Edit: Not that the way the story treats Ann is perfect or anything, but I don't think her costume is the problem at all.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 5, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Though, I am a bit curious now, though, about Persona 6 given that this game already uses a prison cell as the Velvet Room location. Seems like it'd have been more fitting for the next game, which will likely be based on Stone Ocean somewhat.

The main Persona Team is actually going to be working on brand new IPs for Atlus. Persona 6 will be made by their understudies, so it might end up fairly different.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ann's more infamous than popular, but she's definitely meant to be pretty.

And yes, the main problem I have with the game's treatment of her is that they keep putting her in situations she doesn't like. It'd have been better if she were an actual femme fatale, rapey teacher aside.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Every demon gets a descriptive name like "Heavenly Punisher" when you haven't fused/recruited them yet. I presume as a way to prevent you from googling their weaknesses or something? Or simply as a style choice the same way people are described as "Rude Boy" and such before you learn their names.

When you recruit them they always say something like "Oh, now I remember! I'm Jack Frost, from the sea of souls!" So thematically speaking, they're actually nameless before you recruit them, because by being stuck in a Palace they've forgotten who they are.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Go for the bad recording. LPs that always do everything perfectly tend to make the game seem boring unless that requires a lot of weird skill or preparation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, here's what wikipedia says are the demons associated with the Seven Sins:
  • Lucifer: pride
  • Mammon: greed
  • Asmodeus: lust
  • Leviathan: envy
  • Beelzebub: gluttony
  • Satan: wrath
  • Belphegor: sloth

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

When they talk in cutscenes they're just "Shadow Kamoshida", but their name as a enemy unit includes the demon as a middle name of sorts. Suguru Asmodeus Kamoshida.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

This update does show a small flaw that irked me during my playthrough: Every so often people will text you "I hope we pulled it off. I'm anxious" and you answer a variant of "All we can do is wait." Those conversations overstay their welcome a bit.

Those replace the other conversations they would normally have reminding you to head to the Palace because the deadline's coming up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's a bit silly, especially with some of the links where it's not at all obvious why she should suspect them, but I do like the fact that they try to keep the framing device relevant.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

The boring answer is that most of the anime cutscenes were developed out of order with the rest of the game, so some personalities and events don't exactly jibe with whatever else we've seen. I don't remember Ryuji really creeping on anyone during the events of the game proper except for the whole stupid intro to Kawakami's S.Link.

Yeah, this comes up a lot, honestly. Remember when the game had to come up with a weird excuse for everyone to be wearing school uniforms during summer vacation, just for that desert anime cutscene? Which incidentally was also one of the other major times where the camera (and Ryuji) were creeping on the girls.

All the more reason to destroy anime.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I'm really curious what term the original used because "sex worker" sure as heck wasn't it, considering how American it is.

The actual maid thing is enough for use as blackmail and I really doubt it went much further than that.

Found a youtube clip of the scene in Japanese:

What he says is 風俗まがいの裏仕事. Which basically means "your secret job in the sex industry." So yeah, it's pretty much as vague as possible.

For the record, he doesn't actually know about her maid job at all, he just made a wild guess that she confirmed with her reaction.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 21, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Her reaction implies she thinks he's just going to put their names up on the website or something. She's shocked that he asked at all, but doesn't seem to be expecting anything to come of it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Maybe Kawakami is actually a Phantom Thief and farming hella yens in the boring subway. The Takases lack imagination.

Speaking of which, do your other party members actually get any money from this, or does Joker just hoard it all? No one else ever buys their own weapons or anything, after all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The most common theory is that they left the whole Hawaii trip in because they'd already commissioned the anime cutscene for it prior to finalizing the story.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think most people will agree that this whole sequence is a low point for the game, but I do think there's one particular scene later on that stands out as "The Worst Written Scene."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think translating the concept of "rudeness" into "he swears" is actually a really good idea that would convey the idea perfectly in English. Just, yeah, they forgot to make him swear at you.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For the record, since the final enemy will always attack Haru, you can just have her spam Tetrakarn on herself. It does more damage than any of her attacks, and reduces the healing you need to do.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The point is that it doesn't even matter if he repents at this point, since he's already ruined.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

That I disagree with. The confession is more for the victims as it forces the rest of the world to admit that what happened to them was wrong.

The rest of the world has already judged him though. The calling card itself, as well as the rumors on the internet, have already proven his guilt in the public eye. At this point the confession would just be a formality, or for the schadenfreude of seeing a bad man be humiliated. That's sort of the whole point of this l sequence as I read it. That the methods of the Phantom Thieves are being twisted by the public response.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, the text scrolling across the screen at the end is reminiscent of Nico Douga, one of the more popular video streaming sites in Japan. Basically the audience can type their reactions and they'll scroll across the screen at the time they typed it, I guess so you can feel like you're watching it alongside others.

The comments on Okumura's death are basically "lololololololol" with a little "ew creepy" mixed in.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Omobono posted:

Frankly speaking they should have forced sending the calling cards right at the deadline and unlocked party confidantes for the month when you reached the treasure room.

That would have made a lot of sense. Borrowing the good parts of P3 while keeping the more interesting dungeons.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Coq au Nandos posted:

That would have been a way better arc. Recruit Haru, work on some other target while telling her we'll take care of her dad later, and then bam, her dad is ostensibly murdered by the Phantom Thieves.

Nah. I think the fact that Haru could theoretically believe that we lied to her is a much more interesting plot thread.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ohya, although 'dating a minor to not get caught looking up stuff about your missing partner' isn't a gold standard either.

Pretty sure Ohya's link involves violence to her former partner who is also sexually shamed. It's adjacent anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

The most interesting part is how she sees it as a game of chance, where personal skill had no basis in "winning" (getting justice) and "the house" always wins. While it's her palace, is it clear that she thinks of herself as the beneficiary of this kind of broken justice system, or is she only starting to cynically accept it after years of being worn down by it all and seeing it all as a "game" she has to "win" but has no real reliable ability to influence? Of course, winning right now means essentially agreeing to frame someone, so it's pretty clear that she's gotten some real distorted desires to sort out.

Given that the treasure is in the manager's office, she see herself as "the house," doesn't she?