Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
To say this game has severe mood whiplash in comparison to Persona 4 is like saying the surface of the sun is only -slightly- hot. In other news, I really like how a little thought bubble comes from the protagonist's head when he's examining something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I personally like the new attendants to the Velvet Room, they show a great deal more personality than the last two. Granted, I just finished the first major dungeon (boss wasn't-that- hard, granted, more a tutorial boss than anything) and I rather like the new direction they went with this game. Igor's new English VA is still a little off putting, I really liked his P3 and P4 VA, but I think I'm getting used to it. Shame about his VA in japan though, but I understand the change.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Personally, I like to think Arsene's awakening is the best awakening of the Persona protagonists. Guy's flashy as hell and doesn't just speak outside of "I am Thou, Thou art I" when being first recognized by the protagonists. I personally like to think the new personas we see when they awaken are some of the best designed personas to date in the series. I also like how Atlus has been straying away into new territory for Light and Dark elements. They're not just "One Hit KO" elements anymore, unlike say Persona 3 or 4, or earlier SMT games, they're viable elements to use for damage and worth using. Granted, that didn't make P4G Naoto any less useful, specially if you're one of those people who also played Persona Q

Kemix fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 20, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Larryb posted:

Oh it's not bad by any means, I just meant that I'd heard that kind of voice a bunch of times before in Japanese media and kind of liked the creaky old man voice he had previously a little better. I'm sure it'll grow on me though.

Sadly, the reason they changed in US was because his seiru(?) or Voice Actor died in JP, I guess they wanted to retire the then current VA of Igor out of respect so there wasn't a huge change in the voice tone between the two languages. That's my take on it, since Atlus is very good about trying to keep consistant between the two versions.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 21, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GeneX posted:

Actually, it's because the talking cat is an awful character and I like to pretend it doesn't exist

STILL a better Mascot character than Teddie. Lets all be honest here. Both mechanically and story-wise

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm rather enjoying the persona lineup they have this time around. Again, not very far in, but yea. The next party member's persona is :black101:, helps they play like Kanji from P4 and Kanji is a good, if underutilized in gameplay, character

Kemix fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 23, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

dasmause posted:

Well his english voice actor also voiced Nier from... Nier, AKA Dad of the Year All Years, so it's probably voice acting

He also gave the booze tidbits from Catherine. And another thing coming up later on.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Blastinus posted:

Believe it or not, but the thing that made me most excited for Persona 5 was seeing the protagonist use dark curse spells as a viable source of damage instead of just an insta-kill move. I loved Naoto's ability to annihilate trash mobs in P4, but you never brought her into boss battles unless you were playing The Golden.

Yea, think that trend started with SMT4: Apocalypse. Light and Dark got actual spells that deal damage instead of an instant KO like the last few SMT/Persona titles have used, was a very nice surprise to say the least. Of course, the Hama and Mudo lines still exist.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I haven't finished the update yet, but given that he's the first male friend and also pretty slow on the uptake, I'm assuming that Ryuji's Arcana is Magician.

Eeeeeyup. Even though Magician personas are good at Magic, it's almost kinda upside down how the Magician SLs that pretain to party members (Junpei on P3P's FeMC route through the game and P4's Youske) tend to either be bruisers with Magic (Junpei) or are fairly balanced between the stats (Youske). Ryuji is more the former with a good deal of Physical attacks and the Zio series of spells to hit weaknesses with. He's a good. Though one could consider him Kanji 2.0 without the Bi-Confused "trait" Kanji had in Persona 4. Though I like the kinda guys who are willing to crack their knuckles and get their hands dirty, so both of them get a pass.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 25, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
A LOUD reminder to people that P5 is ALSO on PS3. It really just has slightly longer loading times and graphical downscaling that doesn't matter as much as some people might think. It just doesn't have a Special Edition version or has any feelies that Atlus likes to include in their games. (aka: Atlus Tax)

Also for some ungodly reason I blanked on Ryuji's Arcana. Sorry, my bad, I was in a hurry to get to work and my brain blanked.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Blastinus posted:

Of course, when it comes to this series, the role of Puss-in-Boots is played by the Irish cat fairy Cait Sith.

Because why not?

Best part is: Both of them use Wind based magic. Granted, Puss in Boots there is an early game demon who's known best for spamming Megaru in Devil Survivor 1 and 2.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

frajaq posted:

Uhhh drat this poo poo is getting dark fast huh

Here's P5's mantra. "It always gets darker". And best of all? It's all portrayed VERY maturely.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I rather liked Carmen's design here. It's a shame I pretty much abandoned her for the next party member since I'm that guy. I've been really cautious about SP usage to try and go through dungeons in a single day. SADLY, it's hard to do a one-day run through of the first dungeon, I know I had to take multiple days at the dungeon when I first started this dungeon.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

ChaosArgate posted:

You actually can get DLC costumes as soon as you can walk around your room back at LeBlanc.

There's a bit of free DLC as well, one gives you a few items, one of those items is a full party heal. It also sells for 50k if you REALLY need the money

Kemix fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 6, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hunt11 posted:

It gives you some healing items that are useful at the start of the game, and a soma which sells for a lot which is either the most crucial item for the early game or you will completely forget about having it until you reach the last couple bosses.

Yea, that's the one I was talking about. I really needed the money sadly, so I wound up selling the soma. In retrospect I could have held off on selling it, but eh. Also Costume DLC (7$ DLC) also gives you an accessory and enough of said accessory to outfit the entire party. I only bought the SMT4 stuff myself so far, but it gives you a Gauntlet, which has +Crit Rate and +Magic Evade, which is honestly kinda middling as far as the DLC accessories are concerned.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 6, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I know OP let up on Spoiler Talk, but that's honestly pushing it a -little- far.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Blademaster_Aio posted:

You get 20HP for 120 yen.

I think it's a little cost effective, but I forget how much the bandages are for.

Believe bandages are about the same price. But I think (most) anything food/drink related is finite in number. But then again I didn't buy a lot of food early game. Plus, if I remember correctly, you can't use bandages in battle, they're an Out-of-Battle healing item, which is why buying a few Recov-R 50/100s isn't the worst idea in the world. But I DO recommend not investing heavily in Takemi's clinic early on since that poo poo is -expensive- for early game. Even after the Soma selling.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arist posted:

I'm going to spend it all on lotto tickets just like in real life :unsmigghh:

See, this here's a man of culture and totally someone you wanna trust your cash with :v:

By the by, are you gonna do write ups on the confidants and what benefits they give later on in the game? Because if not, I'd be happy to help there, along with (personal) opinions on how to level them up and whatnot. I won't do them past whatever rank the LP has them at either to help preserve spoilers and all that.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Personally, I'd say to just go ahead and just...do whatever on a first playthrough. Max out whatever confidants you can and, bare minimum, max out your social stats. I'm DEFINITELY not on track for a 100% completion of the game first time around and I won't be stressing out about it.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Alexey posted:

Did we actually get her as a Confidant? I've double-checked Part 10 and couldn't find where it happens. Or does it also show those who'll be ones eventually?

We have not started her confidant yet. But it DOES show if there's one that you can either continue or start.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Baton Pass is probably the single most important thing added in P5 Battle-wise. But we'll see it next update most likely. SADLY, new party members need a minimum rank 2 in their confidant to gain Baton Pass, so it also adds president to hanging out with them to Rank 2 minimum at least. But yea, Baton Pass is a good. Also I never even bothered to check the plant in the room after clearing the junk away until after the first palace...I think...but yea, it's a bunch of Kindness I missed (And probably would have maxed out on by my point in the story if I had started feeding it nutrients earlier)

Kemix fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 16, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Haifisch posted:

None of the dungeons here do that, thankfully.

Thank god it didn't. P4G rectified that I believe, giving an extra month of time to max out S-links and all that.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Yea, fusion accidents, while AWESOME to behold (seriously where did those girls get a Velvet Branded CHAINSAW of all things?) is EXTREMELY loving rare. I'm about 80-85 hours into the game (And approaching end-game) and it's only happened once. Maybe twice because of something else that we'll see later, but the first time it happens you don't get to skip the cutscene that happens. Apparently guillotines are more reliable than CARDS when it comes to fusion, who knew?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Thing is, you CAN get "Ultimate" armors from it...right before the end of the game and you're only given enough in-game time for TWO possible end-game armors from two different things. You can also easily savescum what you get, but...yea, the Laundromat thing taking time was a baaaaaad idea. Also gently caress Kamoshida's palace. If you don't conserve SP like a motherfucker (like I didn't) you're gonna have a bad time trying to finish it off as soon as possible.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Confusion is your ticket to infinite riches and items. But that's for another time. I'm sure Arist will get to it when it's relevant, but it really your best way to earning cash early on.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Koorisch posted:

This version of Mara first showed up in SMT 3: Nocturne, where he was summoned by a Baphomet at the request of two manikins.

They of course were a bit too impatient and so they told the Baphomet to hurry it up which then caused Mara to be summoned in the terrible state we see here instead of the Glorious Peniswagon which we all know and love(?).

I have to admit, I laughed when I saw Slime-Mara show up and was NOT expecting that. We of course, will see ACTUAL Mara later. And by later, I mean "Near End Game"

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's something beautiful about not only a game developer calling out DSP on being a lovely player, but also the idea of ATLUS trolling someone with their notorious difficulty. :allears:

Considering one of their (more well known) taglines is "We get off on your tears"? It doesn't surprise me they aren't afraid to poke fun at people with their official channels.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
The boss fight, while not TOO terribly difficult, is a nice tutorial of sorts into what to expect from your palace designated boss fights. Shame the new mechanic isn't utilized as well as it COULD have been, but it's nice to see. Also Life Will Change and Blooming Villain are drat good songs. Only beaten out, imo, by two other tracks in the game...too bad those tracks don't play until near end-game, so we won't be hearing them in the LP for quite some time.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

ApplesandOranges posted:

Fusing Obaryion is really nice for this fight, as he resists physical. Slime's another option if you're at level 10.

Obaryion is REALLY nice to have. The earliest persona you can fuse up that gets a skill dealing Gun damage, as well as the aforementioned Phys resist. Also I THINK Gun skills, while having around the same HP percentile cost, do just a smidgen more damage on average. But I'm not 100% sure.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Godna posted:

So what happens if you DO select Ann for that stealthy bit?

Kamoshida probably notices very quickly, knocking her rear end back into line.

Mzbundifund posted:

Persona 5: Dancing Until What Morgana Says Is A Reasonable Hour."

"Hey, hey Hero. Maybe we shouldn't do that."

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

And here we have, Ladies and gents, the "classic" Mara build that is all for show and not at all worth your time to build because of the fusion chains needed for such a thing. In other news, Succubus is a Moon arcana persona, not Devil. Why? No loving clue but that's how it is.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

DreamingofRoses posted:

I bought a PS4 and P5 because of this LP. Thanks for that.

It's definitely worth it. Specially when you really get into the meat of the game, not to mention there's definitely a lotta good games on the PS4 that are out and coming out later on. Plus if ya got a PSVita, you can play on that if someone wants the TV through good old remote play! Though the framerate DOES take a bit of a hit I hear.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 1, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GeneX posted:

This game is relly goddamn serious about coffee and it's fantastic

Sojiro is a BITCH to rank up early on, but hey, who needs to hang out with him when we can just impress him with our MAD COFFEE MAKING SKILLZ, not to mention all the SP items! But I personally like Sojiro more than Dojima really, though why won't be seen for a while.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Basically: Kill shadow in palace, kill person in real life. Steal Distorted Desires/Treasure FROM palace, Brainwash Reform person mentally.

And this is just the start of the cavalcade of fuckups we'll wind up meeting over the course of the game. It's AAAAALLLLL down hill from here.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm jumping on the Millennials :bandwagon: just for the incidental dialogue we'll get from it.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I like Mishima's confidant. If only because it's one of THOSE that are really easy to level up and unlock some massively great benefits. I believe the first level is somewhere in the ball-park of 1/4th EXP to benched party members.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Seriously, Cat-Bus Morgana is The Best Thing. I love how Atlus is willing to go for jokes like that, even if nobody most people don't know what the gently caress it's from.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

frajaq posted:

Ah, I was wondering if a game like this would have optional dungeons

Something something not really. It's honestly a good idea to take a day or two to get through each area of Mementos per main-plot beat you go through, but, again, spoilers and all that so I won't say much more past that.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly the main thing putting me off from regular Mementos outings is that, like regular Palace visits, they exhaust you for the night.

Yea, but it's in your best interest to do Mementos as you unlock the deeper area. But there IS a way to preserve your night activities which we'll get into later down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Drakenel posted:

Regarding mementos, the pollen warning days can be abused to hilarious effect to make the whole game trivial. Though I suppose that'd be bad for a LP.

The season you're thinking of doesn't happen till near end-game. And even then, it's only five days it's even applicable. Though Pollen is a decent thing, it's not THE thing.