Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

PMush Perfect posted:

I missed Tora's S-Link when I played for the first time, so I'm super hype to see this one I've heard so much about.

It, much like the Mishima Confidant, unlocks a LOT of good stuff. It's worth going through it just for the benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Rangpur posted:

I button mashed because he never lets me forget it. :colbert:

drat straight brotha. If ya don't button mash the cat, you...ah...gently caress.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
As much as I like the game, this is THE low point of the game as far as I'm concerned. This also made me not like Yusuke very much.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Not a big fan of the culture festival either. Mystery Food X was also another one that I cringe at every time I hear about it and...lets be honest, the ending to THAT particular arc was really bad too. At least (for the most part) the anime adaptation (Specially the dub, god drat it Yu has a sexy voice in the dub) played the culture festival for laughs...then the cross-dressing/swimsuit contests came up and I wanted to shoot myself again.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I want to like Youske as a player character...but his luck is too low for a crit build (And there is no way to -permanently- increase party member stats ala Insense from SMT proper), his later skills are too situational and he's outclassed by Kanji 2.0 as a physical dealer. At best, he's good for ice-weak enemies and a secondary physical fighter. Sorry Youske, get your artsy rear end to the bench, I'll supply the paint for your art, but you ain't seeing a lot of combat.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GunnerJ posted:

Did they also wear makeup and stuff?

I -think- the Makeup on him is partially inspired by traditional Kabuki plays, could be wrong though. Then again, it might make sense considering how Persona!Goemon is portrayed here and could be a kind of mirror between Youske and his persona. Shadow Madarame is top of the food chain, wearing that ever so gaudy loving kimono. Goemon on the other hand looks how you would think a thief back then would. Also personally, I had a party consisting of Joker, Morgana, Ryuji (Who can break four digits end-game with Charge+Tarukaja+Physical Skill on single targets) and one or two of the future party members we'll see.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arist posted:

Yeah you get some funky (and I do mean that literally) screenshots when you've only got a second before the cursor comes up.

Better than seeing characters in T-poses as the screens come up (Or you hit an enemy with Pull in Mass Effect 2)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm personally thankful that the persona games dropped multiple physical attacking types after 3. ALSO, I -think- that you can miss doing Ryuji's Rank 7 event, because it happens on specific days. So, if you're an idiot and meander around it enough or do his Confidant late enough in the game (which you'd have to be trying to do on purpose) you can miss out on actually maxing his Confidant. Think at least one other confidant can be lost this way, but I'm not sure on the specifics.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I legit laughed at the Cooler calling card. Please never stop doing such things. It adds charm to LPs such as these.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

W.T. Fits posted:

One of the best Confidants.

You are a man of culture I see. But really, this is probably one of the best confidants in the game.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arist posted:

That's what I suspected it did, seeing as how that's the only occasion a Shadow will ask for something.

Of course, that also makes it probably the single most useless Confidant ability in the game.

Considering you can go the entire loving game without being held up by a shadow because it's so loving precise on how it activates.
Which, for those not in the know (I can't remember if this has been discussed or not previously in the LP)

A. You have to have a PARTY MEMBER (Not the MC, but I might be wrong on this) be hit by an attack that hits a weakness/crit that knocks them down.
B. Be knocked into critical HP by said attack (Easier for this to happen on higher difficulties, but more often than not it will just outright kill them)
and C. The shadow has to take initiative to take them hostage.

If all of these happen, congrats, you get an achievement and you are given the option to give into the shadow's demands, tell them to gently caress off and have your party member be killed outright or, the smart option, USE THE NETWORK SERVICES. This summons someone in the nexus of the multiverse to completely make everything past the knockdown/critical HP and bypass negotiations completely and making the entire loving thing pointless. Seriously, I only saw this late on my playthrough towards the end of the game. Had the internet not been making guides on how this poo poo was happening, I doubt I wouldn't have known this was even a thing.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Personally I think most (not all) of the confidants come off as pretty sympathetic all things considered. Kawakami's is one of those, but we get into that when it happens.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Ah yes, the Mementos Money Grind trick. I learned about it way too late in my playthrough, but I made good use of it regardless. Too bad though I never could make much that had a high enough Luck to be usable for this trick.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Junpei posted:

that was just a joke dude, chill

Would You Kindly :frogout:

But yea, I kinda have to agree here. There's a LOT of society that could benefit from "Having their heart stolen" and poo poo, a lot of higher ups/rich folk in every company/country generally do not have the betterment of the common man in their best interests. But...is that the right thing to do really? I know, I know, Atlus game and all. But is that really considered "Justice"? It's little more akin to brain washing than anything else. It's certainly on shaky legal and moral grounds, but if the people really do make amends for their ways AND make up for it one way or another...could it all even out in the end? I know there's more than just a few starving mouths out there that could really use some "donations" of some sort, be it monitary or otherwise.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Oxxidation posted:

Basically the world of Persona is one where all humans are constantly trying to commit mass suicide with their own brains and have succeeded at least once, when they collectively imagined Hitler blowing up the world with an ancient Mayan spaceship.

It kind of sucks for everyone.

Eeeeh. For all we know, Multiverse Theory is in effect here. AKA: 1 and 2 happened, but in a different time-line. Where 3 onward could have conceivably been split off before the events of P1 and 2. Specially since P3 and 4 ARE somewhat connected in universe, P5 has bits and pieces here and there that 3 and 4 happened in the same time-line. And despite characters from 1 and 2 showing up as cameos in P3's TV segments (As our wonderful LPer by the name of Dragonatrix has been pointing out in his LP of both major versions of 3), it's POSSIBLE the events of P1 and P2 didn't happen in the same time-line as when Tatarus and the TV worlds happened to the respective characters.

Granted, I don't exactly have intimate knowledge of 1 and 2. Just bits here and there, like most people I'm much more familiar with P3 onward, so I could be completely wrong about my "theory" and you can all point and laugh at me as needed.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I REALLY like who we'll get last in the plot. They're a Good Character (And very easy to rank up). Shame that S-links/Confidants don't bleed out into the main game. God I wish that at some point the game would have been able to tell which characters you maxed out and which ones you didn't and give them small changes in dialogue depending on it. Granted, that's a lot of work, but if they ever went the DLC route for that kind of thing, they could add it in post-release, maybe for a nominal fee.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GeneX posted:

(Disdainful comment regarding Yusuke)

(Affirmation of the comment regarding Yusuke)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
gently caress I forgot how long this plotline drags on for. Granted, you're trying to get your way into the MAFIA of all things, so I suppose it couldn't be helped. Also Sojiro's confidant's about to stall and there's nothing you can do about it. Kind of annoying, but I understand why they did it.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I really hate this part of the game. I really do. It just goes on way too loving long in my opinion. In other news, if you wind up using the trains and not have the cash on hand for fare once or twice, Morgana's a nice enough kitty cat to spot you for the fare. I only ever had this happen to me once or twice, but it's a nice way to avoid stranding the player in a place without a job or Confidant to pass time with (I can only assume P5 MC asks for fare from Morgana/his confidant if he winds up stranded without the cash home since you still go home/go to the next day without penalty)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
The fact she breaks SOLID CONCRETE during her stomp just only works for her. She's also one of the best party members going on in the game, it kinda makes the dragging annoyance that is the lead-up to the palace worth it in the long run. I'd go into details on how she works, but I'll wait for the next update before going into specifics on Makoto in battle.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

resurgam40 posted:

Not true, actually; it has nothing to do with the day. You can only do it once with one persona, as long as it remains in your inventory. Thus, if you strengthen a Persona through Gallows, register it, delete it from your inventory through fusing or dismissal, summon the same persona drom you inventory, and strengthen it again. You can do this as many times as you like, and the only caveat is having enough money to constantly withdraw an increasingly expensive Persona.

So yeah, you can abuse that... as long as you have the scratch for it. Which you decidedly will not have, unless you exploit casting confuse on Mementos bosses for money....

Oh yea, there's a reason why people exploit the mementos bosses heavily. It's mostly to get the "perfect" persona or to make a better farming persona for exploiting mementos bosses. But yea, I was originally "meh" on Makoto in battle, but as she is, she turns into quite a nice tank for the team as well as a backup healer. I don't -think- she gets Multi-Target healing, which doesn't completely make Morgana on healing useless, but she can certainly take a hit and using certain items on her to increase the rate she gets targeted at later on will make her perfect to soak up hits, since she'll wind up getting a good pool of HP and defense, plus she's not anywhere near a slouch on dealing damage either with Nuke more often than not being at least neutral element on most foes (Bosses included) and if she gets low on SP, she can still bring out AoE physical attacks for groups. All in all, Makoto as a party member is more than worth investing your time into.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GeneX posted:

Morgana is a cereal mascot reject with a massive ego

"Morgan-Os! They're Quuuuuarktastic!- wait, gently caress!"

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'd like to mention Ohya's confidant sucks and her perks may as well not exist. The next confidant we'll likely pick up though, is arguably one of the best in the game from a gameplay perspective.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Drakenel posted:

Despair from pollen days in mementos

Right ailment, WROOOOOONG time. But we go into that when it happens.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Can you tell Ari that the spinning portraits are fun to watch for me? K thx. Also something something first palace I completed in one day.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Grouchio posted:

*Just beat Madarame's Palace, skips down to current page*

Why is everything spinning and spiderman/spongebob!?

Because god abandoned us and needs to be replaced by a child.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Gotta admit, the second half of the palace is pretty heavily boring as gently caress. It was tedious to go through, not to mention the SP consumption in this palace can wind up being a higher expense than usual because of all the physical resistant enemies.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Chihaya is the worst and I hope that she gets run over by a bus. I'm totally not salty about the whole 100k entrance fee. Kawakami was a better use of my money.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Funky Valentine posted:

Kawakami's Rank 10 is a goddamn lifesaver when it comes to other Confidants.

Not empty-quoting this and she really is a confidant that is worth leveling up, not JUST for her Rank 10.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

W.T. Fits posted:

Much like in Yu-Gi-Oh and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, cheating is perfectly fine in gambling/gaming anime as long as it's the protagonist doing it.

But seriously though Yugi’s duel with Dio Is a sight to behold. So much vomited bullshit with the duelist kingdom rules bring lesser beings to convulsions and swearing like a sailor

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This conversation about Yu-Gi-Oh! and DIO reminds me that there is a Yu-Gi-Oh! GX villain voiced by Koyasu whose signature card is The World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLOsSI8OhNo

Oh Arcana Force monsters...you were...certainly a god damned thing...

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
So...yea. Mishima is literally The Worst character of P5.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

amigolupus posted:

Shut up, Ryuji. You've been going on and on this entire Palace how changing Okumura's heart will make the Phantom Thieves famous. You have absolutely no room to say anything about Mishima.

I wouldn't put much stock in what he says in Confidants. These were pretty much written as "Okay, wherever the player character is at in the story, it makes sense" so for all we know, we could have done all this poo poo far sooner than Okumura's palace or even at the literal end of the game and he'd say the exact same thing.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 17, 2018

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Robindaybird posted:

yeah, that's definitely an issue with non-plot locked Confidants is interactions in them don't reflect what's going on in the main plot and vice-versa so there's some dissonance, but I do feel like Mishima's thing should be a plot point, not a side thing you can miss entirely.

Considering his confidant abilities are pretty much a necessity to keep everyone up to par with everyone else, it's kinda bad that he's a big part to the Phantom Thieves and isn't a plot confidant and can be potentially missed because people don't wanna deal with 10+ meetings with him even though he ranks up automatically.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Waitwaitwait. The church had the good poo poo hidden behind a sunday!? gently caress me! I need that stuff immediately...when I get a PS4 copy of P5...and I actually play it...I have a massive backlog...don't loving look at me like that!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arist posted:

Hey Sojiro, I hung out with a kid today and he was such a poo poo that I basically turned into the loving Buddha incarnate! I can help you with your problem now!

ShinyaConfidant.png

Also I fully admit to having wooed kawakami in my playthrough, I have no words to express how much of a manchild I can be. Also something something JAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
And this is where we have our alignment lock...looks like it’s chaos for us, ah well, Lucifer’s a chill guy to rage against the heavens with.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Robindaybird posted:

businessmen are weird, I've read up on some of the team-building exercises, some include playing house.

VAs in Japan also perform in the studio in front of their peers, as to make said VAs give the best performances they can as well as get feedback from their coworkers. Compare to America where VAs are alone in the recording booths without feedback from their peers and...you can tell a somewhat difference in quality between the two. This has been your :spergin: lesson of the day

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
God drat it Mishima, stop pissing yourself...they have diapers for that. Also Shinya is A Kid, but by god he's probably one of the better ones in JRPGs that aren't part of the main party. At least he isn't a Ken from P3. Dear god I wish we could just...infinity gauntlet him from existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arist posted:

God I keep cracking up looking at his face here

It's some serious Adachiface, man

He just wants to sell you on cabages and genocide, no biggie!