Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
We are named Dennis Hawkins after the worst bank robber on earth.

I highly suggest googling that name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Level Seven posted:

Maaku Hamiru, you are Joker after all.

change my vote to this, but you should all still google Dennis Hawkins

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

AweStriker posted:

This has nothing to do with crimes.

look a few results down, friend

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

This would be a fine theme if they executed it well, which they didn't

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Actually, it's because the talking cat is an awful character and I like to pretend it doesn't exist

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

MythosDragon posted:

I have no dislike for Morgana, but he'll probably be my least favorite party member forever. Mainly because he already has a Persona and I doubt he'll ever get a super snazzy awakening like everyone else.

Also his name bothers me because Im a huge Arthurian buff and well Morgana Le Fay.

Agreed on the second, very much disagreed on the first

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

They're demon pokemon

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

And here's item one on why Morgana is awful: his constant making GBS threads on Ryuji for no reason whatsoever

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

This is an okay scenario that really shouldn't have been the first one

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This whole thing is uncomfortably realistic.

I could understand the teachers overlooking it because of school prestige or something, but the parents, too?

This kind of stuff regularly happens in US high schools with the football teams. Trust me, it's all too realistic.

My issues with the whole thing are a lot less related to the plausibility of the situation than with the hypocrisy and generally inconsistent tone and theming of the game, but that's a discussion for later.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 28, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Kemix posted:

Here's P5's mantra. "It always gets darker". And best of all? It's all portrayed VERY maturely.

these are both entirely false statements

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Junpei, how about you just don't say anything that the LP has yet to cover?

Jen X fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 5, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

I dumped Ann as soon as I had another option, honestly. Not so much because of her mechanics as because of how skeevy some of the gameplay stuff with her is. (I'll go into more detail once we really get to see her in battle.)

We can see a bit of that here, where her theme up to this point is "I'm basically only thought of as a sex object, that sucks" and then the game puts her in a catwoman fetish outfit, complete with zippers, all the while talking about how Kamoshida is gross for what he's trying to do to Ann as represented by a vapid version of her in a bikini

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oh, it's not unjustified in the story. That doesn't change the fact that the game just said "Kamoshida is wrong for sexualizing Ann" and then puts Ann in a specialty-store dominatrix outfit. That was a deliberate design choice, and in-story justifications don't cover what the art team decided over lunch.

Is it super egregious? No, not really. Is it kinda icky that a character who has just avoided sexual extortion in the story is now being represented as a sexual object for the player? Yeah.

E: I think this criticism will work better when the LP gets a bit farther in, tbh

Jen X fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 5, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Morgana's insistence on referring to Ann as "Lady Ann" , alomgside constant attempts to get her to like him, is obnoxious and unrelenting. Combine it with his constant making GBS threads on Ryuji, general arrogance, and near-omnipresence (teddie didn't chime in on more-or-less anything you did, which is why he's bearable) and it makes him a character I strongly dislike, even as the game seems to presume that I like him.

Ann is a fine character that exists to be ogled by the audience and other characters and that's really loving bad.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, it's a crush. Morgana is never skeevy about it. Teddie did way worse in P4.

Morgana is very skeevy about it, and isn't pretty implicitly at the same emotional age as a six year old.

I do think that Teddie living with you in P4 would have been horrible though

Jen X fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 9, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Sojiro- who I almost called Sakura for some reason???- just seems like a guy trying to be a hardass all the time but can't help but show that he's not in every single conversation you have with him.

I feel like this dungeon expedition is going slower than P4 when it finally let you get up in there.

For all that I have serious problems with basically the entirety of the game's first 2 arcs, the game absolutely nails Sojiro's characterization.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Everytime Morgana talks about "Lady Ann" I want to gouge my eyes out

Also holy poo poo I never realized you could actually check out books from the library

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

GuyUpNorth posted:

:eng101: Morgana's use of -dono fairly accurately translates to Lord/Lady :eng101: But you probably refer to his general attitude around Ann.

I'm sure it's just as awful in japanese, too

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Takemi is pretty great.

Now is also about when the game forgets that everyone hates you.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

resurgam40 posted:

Although, some of you might be wondering by this point if the story is going to do that cut away to Sae demanding to know about x person every time Maaku forms a social link, well... it will. And it gets somewhat trying, in part because it weakens an already tenuous framing device (you told us you didn't have a lot of time, lady, and yet you spend a lot of it trying to find out about possible accomplices which may or may not be real?), and also because it seems like an exercise in futility as Maaku obviously isn't saying poo poo.

Yeah, that's one big part of why the framing device is bad. It makes some sense with the doctor, but it gets...stretched, shall we say, in the future. There's a whole lot more to say about it later, but really, Sae interrupting you meeting a friend to very weakly interrogate you, every single time, is just a terrible idea.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So that's what everyone was alluding to earlier. I just thought her attack animations were ridiculous or something.

Those are also...questionable.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Kamoshida is a relatively mild case compared to a lot of the stuff various places let slide for sports (see: the unfathomably awful rape scandal that Baylor University is currently involved in).

Things like this are still being revealed: this article is from 2 days ago!

Or Penn State and the whole Jerry Sandusky thing, which for those who don't know is about the university turning a blind eye to a serial child rapist.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 20, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Ann herself is a pretty great character.

The way the game and the majority of its male cast treat Ann is incredibly awful.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

mauman posted:

don't put words in my mouth you rear end in a top hat.

I DON'T agree with the sexualization of 16 year old.

Seriously, gently caress you.

You sure as gently caress implied it, my dude

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I fully recommend banning anyone who uses the word waifu to talk about female characters.

and also banning Junpei because he's the worst poster in the subforum

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I laughed out loud at the head of a certain green penis just finding its way into the dungeon. It's a nice touch.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Use the bad recording, but use screenshots from the good one and comment on how you'd never make mistake x, y, or z

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

This game is not hard though

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

It's a very bad mechanic because you don't always get a chance to shuffle your guys around to find someone to counter the enemy before they gank you.

Getting killed because you started with the wrong dude and the enemy got 2 turns and killed you – before you could do anything – enforces tedium when combined with the lack of autosaving before all battles and the inability of your party members to fight on while you're unconscious.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I highly, highly recommend listening to Life Will Change.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Sojiro is fantastic. Morgana is awful. Shiho is a prop and it's kind of skeevy.

Story of the game, right there.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

What makes you view Shiho in terms of how the game handles her skeevy?

Don't want to get into spoilers, but her role in the story thus far is as a prop for Ann (or the narrative) to drag out whenver the game thinks things are too lighthearted or positive, instead of her being an actual character.

It comes off as using a suicide attempt as a cheap prop, made worse because it's entirely unnecessary for the story. Ann's motivation should probably have been to stop the rear end in a top hat teacher from coercing her into sex; the revenge plot adds nothing.

E: Morgana's incredibly narcissistic attitude and general creepiness toward Ann are enough by themselves to make him obnoxious in my view, but this is not a debate that anyone can win. I don't particularly care that he's the mouthpiece that the game uses to enforce its mechanics.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 1, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

I personally disagree with you. The suicide attempt is the catalyst for everything as without it the phantom thieves would not have challenged Kamoshida like they did.

And the game could quite easily have done that without turning a suicide attempt into a plot point. Maybe Ryuji and the Protagonist get incensed on behalf of the team members he's physically abusing and he retaliates by trying to expel them. Maybe they get mad on Ann's behalf.

The point is that the game tries to be dark but instead uses topics that should be handled delicately as blunt plot sledgehammers. This is a recurring theme.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I feel like actually saying more on why I think the way I do about this would involve spoilers, but I fundamentally disagree with the idea that "something horrifyingly dramatic" had to happen for the plot to take the course they wanted.

If you want to take this to PMs, we can do that.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 1, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I think going to the bathhouse on a rainy day raises Guts instead of Charm.

I really like the detail they put into all of the side events; for all the problems I have with the main game (a few kinda irredeemably so), things like the movie theater do a bunch to make up for it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Haifisch posted:

IIRC you get +2 charm no matter what, it's just a chance that you get the third point as Guts instead of Charm.

That sounds right, though I think there's a chance to either get 3 charm or 1 guts

I might be mixing up two different bathhouse things

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

vdate posted:

I'm a little baffled by the sudden presence of Coffee Trivia. I never played Catherine, though, so perhaps all I was missing was being prepared for it by Beer Trivia.

This game is relly goddamn serious about coffee and it's fantastic

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Blue Labrador posted:

While I love Millennials, I suggest the slight alteration of #Millennials for authenticity's sake.

I don't feel like counting to check if I need to vote, and this is better than the unadorned word, so this

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mishima is far from the worst character in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

C. Everett Koop posted:

P5 is accepting the that the law isn't on your side. P6 is accepting that you're always broke. P7 is accepting that You Can't Count Out Touchdown Tom. P8 is accepting tha

I would totally play a Persona game about stopping the New England Patriots through the same satanic bullshit Belichek uses to power the team