Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna vote for the canon name because I have no originality and just always name my Persona MCs by their canon names.

But I can see why this game got two LPs in less than two weeks- it's a drat fine game and will probably be in a lot of GOTY lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dinictus posted:

I really need to look through the entire anime now. That is some stellar voice acting and comedic timing.

Johnny Yong Bosch always makes the best he can whenever Yu is allowed to talk. Just... stay away from the Golden Animation, the only good thing to come out of it was the song "Yin-Yang."

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dinictus posted:

I'd PM you but you don't have platinum and I fear this veers too far off course from the P5 thread as it is. So I'll shut up about it if it does derail too much. But why so?

As has been mentioned, the Golden anime prioritized, obviously enough, content added in Golden, with the actual main story being pushed aside (Effectively, it expects you to have at least watched the original anime to know the main plot and character arcs of the main characters). However, while the original anime got over two dozen episodes, Golden attempts to do the same... in twelve, meaning that most of the original game including the Shadow Selves and dungeons are heavily compressed. It's comparable to a New Game + run, with Margaret even saying that Yu is "seeing a familiar landscape from a different viewpoint".

This primarily meant that a lot of focus was Adachi and Marie's Social Links, and while Adachi is a popular character and the Golden animation gave him a bit of spotlight, Marie has a very split fanbase, and a lot of her detractors felt that Marie was given too much screentime and that she overshadowed the Investigation Team. It's fine if you like Marie, but you kind of need to watch it concurrently with the original anime to make sense of the story.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arkanumzilong posted:

I know its likely cultural differences
But I HATE that people threat you like garbage DESPITE k owing you where basically saving a woman from being raped/kidnapped

You did a good thing, and in reality (or so id like to hope) your conviction would be met with some oposition, and people aware of the fact would be more lenient
But in game (and from what I have been told, in japanese culture) people act as if you where completely in the wrong
(Not jigen himself bitches that you got between two adults and that you basically deserve what happened to you for it)

Thing is, the deck was stacked against the protagonist from the start. Suffice to say (Since I was reminded that it's not come up yet), there's reasons why things went the way they did.

GoneRampant fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 20, 2017

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Allow me to mirror the comment that Arsene's great design is sadly wasted since he has to go quickly, much like Orpheus and Izanagi. However, if P5's inevitable anime adaption follows in the footsteps of the P3 and P4 anime adaptions, Arsene will get an upgrade and become one of the MC's main Personas for the entire game.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hunt11 posted:

What did happen to the Escapist? This is more out of curiosity then anything else as I only ever go to the side for Zero Punctuation.

I don't think anything bad happened to them, unless you like Jim Sterling or Moviebob- I just don't care about the site outside of Yahtzee, so I'm only there on Wednesdays.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
For anyone who seriously wants to claim 'this game has a bad localisation,' I'd direct them to this scene. Kamoshida's scumbaggery is just done so masterfully here; he's legitimately detestable, both in and out of character. In fact, he's a little too good- this may be a spoiler, but none of the villains really hit as many highs as Kamoshida.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arist posted:

Nope, but 10 SP ain't nothing.

It's a lot in the early game. Slap that on Morganna or Anne and that's two and a half Dias to heal you with.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
To be entirely fair, re: Anne's knockdown pose, another party member we recruit has almost the exact same pose when he gets knocked down.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

W.T. Fits posted:

In 137 hours of gameplay, I had it happen to me once, and I ended up having to reload, because I was trying to fuse something specific for a reason that Arist will cover later.

Yeah, I don't know what the chance is for it, but compared to me getting it in P4Golden within the first ten hours, it's a lot rarer.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's still easy enough to look up weaknesses if you haven't fused the Persona yet, though- most non-boss enemies still list their level and Arcana, meaning it's a simple matter of going to the SMT wiki and comparing the levels.

But I'll mirror what's been said- Kamoshida's Palace is a monster to beat in one day, but much like Yukiko's Castle in P4, this is the real hurdle; the other Palaces get significantly easier to do in one day after this.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

frajaq posted:

Just to be clear, is there any in-game bonus/motivation for doing the entire dungeon in one day or is it a personal challenge thing?

Most Max Confidant runs at this time require it, since the schedule for Persona 5 is quite tight. The more time you spend in the dungeons is less time you have to work on Confidants or grind social stats.

I'd assume that ideally you're meant to do the Max Confidants run on a New Game + run, since by that point you're at a high enough level to steamroll the early palaces, and you already have most of the work done on social stats.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dude789 posted:

The night to make tools is kinda handy because you can usually make enough lockpicks to pick up any locked chests you might have missed on the first run.

That's pretty much what I always do. You're sometimes a lockpick or two short, but you'll usually make enough that you'll sweep the chests easily enough.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Labrador posted:

Aesthetically I agree; you can't have that many horns and fat beats in your ost without sounding like you're from the era of OutKast. But as far as plot and themes go I don't remember anything being particularly political or topical for the time period. I might be forgetting something about it though, it's been awhile since I played through the thing.

Persona 3's themes largely revolve around death- the knowledge that your time on this world is finite and that you must strive to live every day to its maximum potential so that you can ultimately embrace death and not run away from it. It's a rather timeless game story-wise, since humanity will always have that fear of death, and most modern medical advances are there so we can prolong our time here.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Much as I love Mercer, I'm not the hugest fan of his performance here, with the exception of the Awakening scene. His Goemon voice is amazing.

I used Yusuke a fair bit in my team. I personally benched Morganna at this point and only used him as an SP source to heal the rest of the team without cutting into my personal resources.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You'll notice in the scene where the Thieves tried to identify Madarame's Palace that only the protagonist had his phone out, but it was accepting Ryuji and Anne's suggestions as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

yeah, all both of them

Actually though, thinking about it. The only two really bad moments are just the couple in the red light district and the beach. The game otherwise has a good three-five moments I can think of where characters will mention "partners" as background fluff.

But I guess circles be jerkin.